HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K. Subban Thread IX: 'Try to make this one last longer than a day' Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2013, 01:49 PM
  #476
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kade View Post
No give him 6 million per and screw your team for the future. And posters wonder why we have no money to get free agents. Gally and Tinordi will get 6 million in a few years. You actually have to work the cap to build a winning team.
This is what you get when we have been following a team that has been led by two poor GM's over the last decade.

No clue from many as to how to build a championship contending Canadiens team.

I agree with you 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Except for the past 8 months all he's been offered is 2.1 and 2.9 million. He can't sign a 3.5/year contract (still underpayment) if it's not even being offered.
Do you have a quote from Bergevin regarding what he is offering?

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 01:52 PM
  #477
Habsawce
Registered User
 
Habsawce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
This is what you get when we have been following a team that has been led by two poor GM's over the last decade.

No clue from many as to how to build a championship contending Canadiens team.

I agree with you 100%.



Do you have a quote from Bergevin regarding what he is offering?
It was reported by multiple people yesterday that it is the exact same offer that was made in May.

Habsawce is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 01:53 PM
  #478
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Do you have a quote from Bergevin regarding what he is offering?
It was reported on the Hot Stove last weekend by Friedman as something around Del Zotto dollars or even less.
Then it was tweeted by Bobby Mac during the week.
Yesterday Renaud Lavoie tweeted the format as 2.1M this year, 2.9M next year. 5.1M total for 2years.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 01:55 PM
  #479
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,934
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
It was reported on the Hot Stove last weekend by Friedman as something around Del Zotto dollars or even less.
Then it was tweeted by Bobby Mac during the week.
Yesterday Renaud Lavoie tweeted the format as 2.1M this year, 2.9M next year. 5.1M total for 2years.
NONE OF THOSE PEOPLE ARE REPUTABLE.

Don't you have a quote from the man who is more likely to try and save face than indicate the nature of his irrationally stupid and insulting offer?

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 01:56 PM
  #480
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Pretty sure they said PK is taking the weekend and they're meeting on Monday.

Very real possibliity of this happenening. He's at home with his family thinking about what he wants to do.

Can't believe we've let it come to this.

I would. Apparently MB doesn't understand his worth. Why not just offer a piece of crap for Subban and see if you can get him.

Yeah, MB appears to be that stupid.


If that had been the case without a holdout, you'd be right. Now? I think he's an idiot.

Even if PK signs, we've done real damage to the relationship and PK's reputation around the league. Very stupid thing to do in the name of lowballing a player who's worth well more than what we're offering him.

Totally agree with the above.

Almost any GM would come after Price/Subban, Subban/Price, Galchenyuk (our top 3 in assets/value, imo), but Bergevin doesn't want to pay him fairly (not even close to it)...Bergevin is treating (lowballing/ripping-off) Subban like ****. (as if he's trying to run him out of town).

I'm so afraid Bergevin will take a Perron for Subban, or Simon Gagne+2nd for Subban,etc,etc...
(I really hope Molson will stop Bergevin from trading Subban).


Last edited by Mr. Hab: 01-27-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Mr. Hab is online now  
Old
01-27-2013, 01:57 PM
  #481
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
That's fine. Except PK is apparently being offered 2M less than what you're suggesting.

Also, you don't get hamstrung by 1 contract of 5-6M, that represents less than 10% of the cap. You need to look at the rest of the 90-95% of the cap and how it's used.
We currently have 6.4M in cap space. Next year, we have a compliance buyout, my guess is it's Kaberle. So, we have room even if you want to sign him longterm.

But you just said it, guys like Cole and Gionta, they're the ones with the bad deals. Are you going to say Price is hamstringing us?? He's the highest paid player after all.
No, because the young guys like MaxPac and Price are the ones you invest in. PK is another one.
You don't tell PK to take a 2M deal and then give over the hill vets big bucks. It's retarded.

But as I said, Bergevin isn't even offering what you are.
No one knows with 100% certainty what Bergevin is offering.

To your point. Price is not overpaid. He is the most valuable player on the team without question.

Can MaxPac, Price and Subban win us a Cup? No.

They will need support. We still need at least one more impact player for the top 6 and we still need a physical DMan (with or without Subban).

Getting those players here will require Cap management over the next couple of years.

Why blow the entire cap surplus on one player when just having that one player will not move us toward the Cup.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 01:58 PM
  #482
Habaddict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kade View Post
I would give him 2 years at 3 million per or 8 years at around 5 million per year as you tie him up thru RFA for a few years. I am sure they only want to sign for 5 or 6 years so he comes out a UFA after the deal.
I believe there is a 7 year max in the new CBA. So that would be 4 RFA years,
and 3 UFA years. If the RFAs are worth 4-4-5-5, and the UFAs 7-7-7, that makes
39 over 7 years, or 5.5 . Given the cap is going down, these numbers might be
a bit generous. Still 5 per year is about the minimum we could get that many years
for.
No one can predict any ones career. But Subban is a safer prediction than most.
We have seen his level of play without further improvement, and he already
contributes a lot.( and I don't care whether he should be labeled a #1 or not)
At his age he is very likely to improve. With his tool he could improve a great
deal. So the chance 7 years at 5mil becomes a bad contract is small. It is at
least as likely that it becomes a bargain.
And, from a cap prospective, the shape of those years is good for the Habs.
Any over-payment likely fall in the first year or two, while we have cap room.
In return we may have a bargain during the years we hope to have a contender,
when we may need all the cap space we can find.

Habaddict is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 02:00 PM
  #483
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 55,617
vCash: 567
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=652630

Quote:
Subban was asked how he has utilized his time while awaiting a new contract.

"Well, it doesn't look like I'll have much free time coming up here, so hopefully I'm back on the ice soon," he said.
Interesting how he said that...made it seem like he's about to sign with the way he said it...

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 02:00 PM
  #484
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
It was reported on the Hot Stove last weekend by Friedman as something around Del Zotto dollars or even less.
Then it was tweeted by Bobby Mac during the week.
Yesterday Renaud Lavoie tweeted the format as 2.1M this year, 2.9M next year. 5.1M total for 2years.
Fair enough. I prefer Bergevin's own quote but its silly to argue that point.

Can you get me some intel regarding Subban's position?

Where did he start out and how much is he conceding?

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 02:01 PM
  #485
onebighockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
It was reported by multiple people yesterday that it is the exact same offer that was made in May.
A lot of things have been reported. A lot of it crap. Good or bad.

onebighockeyfan is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 02:03 PM
  #486
Habsawce
Registered User
 
Habsawce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
No one knows with 100% certainty what Bergevin is offering.

To your point. Price is not overpaid. He is the most valuable player on the team without question.

Can MaxPac, Price and Subban win us a Cup? No.

They will need support. We still need at least one more impact player for the top 6 and we still need a physical DMan (with or without Subban).

Getting those players here will require Cap management over the next couple of years.

Why blow the entire cap surplus on one player when just having that one player will not move us toward the Cup.
I'm curious as to who is suggesting blowing our entire cap surplus on one player? All the majority of us are saying is to either:

A) Give Subban a 2 year deal at his worth, then give him the big bucks in 2 years or
B) Give him a long term deal now which will end up saving a large amount of money in 2-3 years

Option B allows cap space for complimentary players to be signed. But MB appears stuck on low balling him to the point where he won't want to play in MTL anymore. Not sure what is so hard to see about this. Players have pride, and Subban has been working his entire life for this moment and then a rookie GM comes in and treats him like a second class citizen in front of the world.

He should be upset and hurt, I would be. But you know Subban will come out and say the right things about how it's just a business and he's happy to be playing and all that jazz, but I can't see how this isn't upsetting for him. I just can't.

Habsawce is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 02:06 PM
  #487
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
I believe there is a 7 year max in the new CBA. So that would be 4 RFA years,
and 3 UFA years. If the RFAs are worth 4-4-5-5, and the UFAs 7-7-7, that makes
39 over 7 years, or 5.5 . Given the cap is going down, these numbers might be
a bit generous. Still 5 per year is about the minimum we could get that many years
for.
No one can predict any ones career. But Subban is a safer prediction than most.
We have seen his level of play without further improvement, and he already
contributes a lot.( and I don't care whether he should be labeled a #1 or not)
At his age he is very likely to improve. With his tool he could improve a great
deal. So the chance 7 years at 5mil becomes a bad contract is small. It is at
least as likely that it becomes a bargain.
And, from a cap prospective, the shape of those years is good for the Habs.
Any over-payment likely fall in the first year or two, while we have cap room.
In return we may have a bargain during the years we hope to have a contender,
when we may need all the cap space we can find.
So overpay while we have cap room?

And then we will not be able to add players that will fill the needs that this team has because Subban's overpayment will not allow much maneuvering for UFAs and trades.

So basically we will have the same team that we had last year when we finished in last place.

The only difference is that PK Subban will be making a hell of a lot more money than he did last year.

What the **** kind of management is that?

Doing the same thing over and over again (with failure) but paying more to do the same thing over and over again IS truly the definition of insanity.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 02:06 PM
  #488
Beatnik
Registered User
 
Beatnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,647
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
NONE OF THOSE PEOPLE ARE REPUTABLE.

Don't you have a quote from the man who is more likely to try and save face than indicate the nature of his irrationally stupid and insulting offer?

Lavoie and Dreger, who both reported the 2.1-2.9M offer, are by far the 2 best sources for Habs news. They break almost every news first so we know that they have great connections. They are also very serious journalist, I can't remember ******** from either of them.


The offer is too low but I'll reserve my jugement until a deal is done.

Beatnik is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 02:07 PM
  #489
Habsawce
Registered User
 
Habsawce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Fair enough. I prefer Bergevin's own quote but its silly to argue that point.

Can you get me some intel regarding Subban's position?

Where did he start out and how much is he conceding?
Subban/Meehan were quoted as seeking a long term deal to stay with the Habs. Numbers were never released and only speculated as being pretty high.

Then Subban was quoted in a Stubbs article saying he would accept a 2 year deal to play in MTL because he wants to play here and that he just wants to be compensated fairly.

Sounds like he moved quite a bit and is being reasonable.

Habsawce is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 02:07 PM
  #490
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
I'm curious as to who is suggesting blowing our entire cap surplus on one player? All the majority of us are saying is to either:

A) Give Subban a 2 year deal at his worth, then give him the big bucks in 2 years or
B) Give him a long term deal now which will end up saving a large amount of money in 2-3 years

Option B allows cap space for complimentary players to be signed. But MB appears stuck on low balling him to the point where he won't want to play in MTL anymore. Not sure what is so hard to see about this. Players have pride, and Subban has been working his entire life for this moment and then a rookie GM comes in and treats him like a second class citizen in front of the world.

He should be upset and hurt, I would be. But you know Subban will come out and say the right things about how it's just a business and he's happy to be playing and all that jazz, but I can't see how this isn't upsetting for him. I just can't.
Sorry, but being a last place team last year requires more than bringing in complementary players.

This team needs impact players. We have more complementary players than we need.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 02:08 PM
  #491
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

They will need support. We still need at least one more impact player for the top 6 and we still need a physical DMan (with or without Subban).
Tinordi and Galchenyuk.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 02:08 PM
  #492
pepperMonkey
Registered User
 
pepperMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
So overpay while we have cap room?

And then we will not be able to add players that will fill the needs that this team has because Subban's overpayment will not allow much maneuvering for UFAs and trades.

So basically we will have the same team that we had last year when we finished in last place.

The only difference is that PK Subban will be making a hell of a lot more money than he did last year.

What the **** kind of management is that?

Doing the same thing over and over again (with failure) but paying more to do the same thing over and over again IS truly the definition of insanity.
So the sane and rational thing to do is offer Subban an ultimatum of 2 yr, 2.1 and 2.9mill contract?

pepperMonkey is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 02:09 PM
  #493
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Subban/Meehan were quoted as seeking a long term deal to stay with the Habs. Numbers were never released and only speculated as being pretty high.

Then Subban was quoted in a Stubbs article saying he would accept a 2 year deal to play in MTL because he wants to play here and that he just wants to be compensated fairly.

Sounds like he moved quite a bit and is being reasonable.
So what you are saying is that you have no idea what numbers Subban started out with and no idea what numbers Subban is at right now.

Correct?

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 02:10 PM
  #494
Habsawce
Registered User
 
Habsawce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
So overpay while we have cap room?

And then we will not be able to add players that will fill the needs that this team has because Subban's overpayment will not allow much maneuvering for UFAs and trades.

So basically we will have the same team that we had last year when we finished in last place.

The only difference is that PK Subban will be making a hell of a lot more money than he did last year.

What the **** kind of management is that?

Doing the same thing over and over again (with failure) but paying more to do the same thing over and over again IS truly the definition of insanity.

Holy hell, you're really having trouble comprehending simple facts.

If you sign a young player to a long term contract and he turns out to be what is projected you will be saving a lot of money.

If Subban is signed to a 2 year deal at this ridiculous low ball offer and goes out and does what we all expect he will. After this 2 years he will be going into UFA years on his next deal and will be getting paid upwards of 7 million a year with inflation and the cap rising.

7 million a year vs. 4.5-5.5 a year if signed now. HRM I WONDER WHAT WILL ALLOW FOR MORE PLAYERS IN THE FUTURE.

Habsawce is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 02:10 PM
  #495
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
So the sane and rational thing to do is offer Subban an ultimatum of 2 yr, 2.1 and 2.9mill contract?
Not what I said but if you want to infer that from my post, go right ahead.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 02:11 PM
  #496
HomaridII
Registered User
 
HomaridII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=652630



Interesting how he said that...made it seem like he's about to sign with the way he said it...
It does sound like he is about to sign

HomaridII is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 02:11 PM
  #497
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 4,409
vCash: 500
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads


"I've been training a lot … maybe too much," he continued. "It's safe to say that I'd like to get back on the ice sooner than later. But sometimes in life you go through processes that aren't the most fun. But you got to go through it."


So it sounds like he's keeping in shape, despite helping out with a bunch of charities. Good news, but not surprising knowing his work ethic.

Dr Gonzo is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 02:12 PM
  #498
Habsawce
Registered User
 
Habsawce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
So what you are saying is that you have no idea what numbers Subban started out with and no idea what numbers Subban is at right now.

Correct?
I don't like to insult posters personally but I am on the bring my friend. It's pretty damn nuts how you think, in fact I don't understand your logic at all. Please explain to me how you think signing PK now to a low bridge offer is going to help this team in 2 years when they're ready to compete?

Habsawce is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 02:13 PM
  #499
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
I truly hope this is over tomorrow and Subban is back to wearing the CH. He's a big reason I've followed the Canadiens more than any other team in the last five years.

No Team Needed is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 02:13 PM
  #500
Habs Junkie
Registered User
 
Habs Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,109
vCash: 500
You know what really sucks in all of this? We've been saying for the last 3 years "can't wait to see subban and markov together". Finally Markov is back, and Subban is the one out.

Habs Junkie is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.