Around the League Games

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Lord Ahriman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
I know the Bruins have no cap space for him but he would look sexy as hell on the third line:

Marchand - Bergeron - Horton
Seguin - Krejci - Lucic
Peverley - Kelly - Iginla
Paille - Campbell - Thornton

*salivates*

I know Iginla is getting up there in age but in addition to whatever picks would get it done, I think I'd part with nearly any of our prospects to get him. I doubt that would be enough considering plenty of other teams would want him but I think Chia would absolutely see what it took at the very least should that be a possibility.
Actually I think it's possible. If my math isn't wrong, by the deadline we would have ~ 4M to spend, placing Savard on LTIR would free up $4M. Another solution would be in some way involving Timmy (cap reasons).

Old
01-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ahriman View Post
Actually I think it's possible. If my math isn't wrong, by the deadline we would have ~ 4M to spend, placing Savard on LTIR would free up $4M. Another solution would be in some way involving Timmy (cap reasons).
Savvy's $4M isn't enough though. You'd have to do BOTH.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:23 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
Savvy's $4M isn't enough though. You'd have to do BOTH.
It could be. Don't forget that they only need enough space to cover the cap hit remaining and not his full season cap hit. Pro rated it should be doable.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:24 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
I know the Bruins have no cap space for him but he would look sexy as hell on the third line:

Marchand - Bergeron - Horton
Seguin - Krejci - Lucic
Peverley - Kelly - Iginla
Paille - Campbell - Thornton

*salivates*

I know Iginla is getting up there in age but in addition to whatever picks would get it done, I think I'd part with nearly any of our prospects to get him. I doubt that would be enough considering plenty of other teams would want him but I think Chia would absolutely see what it took at the very least should that be a possibility.
If by some miracle they managed to get Iginla it wouldn't be to fill out our 3rd line. He'll be on the first line.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
It could be. Don't forget that they only need enough space to cover the cap hit remaining and not his full season cap hit. Pro rated it should be doable.
LTIR isn't the same as cap space, though. You could only move another player in at same salary...

To be fair however, I don't know how much space the B's will have accrued OTHERWISE by that time. Not sure how tight we are to the cap. We gather enough AND use Savvy's LTIR, there may be a way to do it.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:39 AM
patty59

Get Iginla. Give them Peverley and some picks, good picks. Maybe a prospect too.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:42 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Get Iginla. Give them Peverley and some picks, good picks. Maybe a prospect too.
My thinking is that one of Pevs or Kelly would have to be included

Old
01-27-2013, 10:43 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
LTIR isn't the same as cap space, though. You could only move another player in at same salary...

To be fair however, I don't know how much space the B's will have accrued OTHERWISE by that time. Not sure how tight we are to the cap. We gather enough AND use Savvy's LTIR, there may be a way to do it.
I didn't realize that with LTIR. I thought that dealt more with call ups then it did with outside acquisitions.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:47 AM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
If by some miracle they managed to get Iginla it wouldn't be to fill out our 3rd line. He'll be on the first line.
It's not about which line he's on.. it's about who he's playing with. I hate to be "that guy" but remember that Claude gives the same amount of ice time to nearly every line (including the 4th.. well, sometimes).

That's why my mind went to putting him (Iginla) with Kelly and Peverley. That's an instant upgrade to Bourque. And Iginla is used to putting up points not playing with the most talented fellows and yet more often than not in Calgary, the other team puts up their best lines against him. (and Kelly and Peverley are no slouches anyway)

With him on the third line, that's a one, two, three punch (and a sucker punch from the 4th line ). You have some pretty potent offense spread out across 3 lines without giving up anything. You're also adding size and grit that was missing with Bourque there. After theory-crafting this all out, at least to me it makes perfect sense.

But again.. it would take quite a bit to get him. The Flames are definitely in a place to lock up young talent and they certainly aren't going to get well-established top-line NHL players for an aging Iginla so being rich in decent prospects might give the Bruins an advantage. But we'd have to be prepared to give up Spooner or Koko, another prospect (Krug?) and some picks to get him. I know that would probably be too much for some folks here. But assuming Chia can manage contracts and the cap.. our forwards (and D!) are set for Cup run after Cup run (seriously, all of them.) for at least another 3-5 years.. depends on how much Iginla has left in the tank.. but playing slightly less minutes across a deep as **** team might stretch out his career another season or two as well.

Plus... from his point of view; he still needs dat Cup. What better team to go to than the Boston Bruins?

EDIT - Didn't even think about having to give up Kelly or Peverley.. The Flames may absolutely want an established NHL player to add to their roster right away along with picks and prospects. It would be tough but I'd rather give up Peverley. Kelly is extremely valuable on the PK and protecting one goal leads in the waning minutes of a game. If it were possible, I'd still love to see a Peverley - Kelly - Iginla line but obviously might not be realistic due to what we'd have to give up (as well as the cap)

Last edited by SerenityRick: 01-27-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old
01-27-2013, 10:52 AM
Shaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
If Knight is traded as part of a package for Iginla can we include Iginla as part of the Kessel deal like how they include Liles as part of the Kaberle deal?

Old
01-27-2013, 10:54 AM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
If Knight is traded as part of a package for Iginla can we include Iginla as part of the Kessel deal like how they include Liles as part of the Kaberle deal?

Kessel and Knight for:

Iginla, Seguin and Hamilton

Old
01-27-2013, 11:01 AM
Neely08

Quote:

It's funny, on HNIC they actually said, "It has to be a Raymond Bourque type deal where he goes to a genuine contender.".

Got chills. Then realized a window was open. Not going to say what I was thinking. But, yeah, what you're saying might work.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:37 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
My thinking is that one of Pevs or Kelly would have to be included
Both have some form of NTC, and Calgary isn't exactly a destination a veteran player is going to want to end up. If it's just a source of getting us under the cap Calgary could take on Thomas's suspended contract, if they're moving Iginla they'd have plenty of room for it.

Although I'd at least approach Kelly about moving, don't like that contract long term to begin with, especially if you want to keep Iginla for a couple more seasons.

Gives you two attractive options for setting your lineup.

heavy top 2
Lucic-Krejci-Iginla
Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin
Caron-Peverley-Horton

death to your bottom pairing balanced top 9
Lucic-Seguin-Iginla
Marchand-Bergeron-Peverley
Caron-Krejci-Horton

Old
01-27-2013, 12:06 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Both have some form of NTC, and Calgary isn't exactly a destination a veteran player is going to want to end up. If it's just a source of getting us under the cap Calgary could take on Thomas's suspended contract, if they're moving Iginla they'd have plenty of room for it.

Although I'd at least approach Kelly about moving, don't like that contract long term to begin with, especially if you want to keep Iginla for a couple more seasons.

Gives you two attractive options for setting your lineup.

heavy top 2
Lucic-Krejci-Iginla
Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin
Caron-Peverley-Horton

death to your bottom pairing balanced top 9
Lucic-Seguin-Iginla
Marchand-Bergeron-Peverley
Caron-Krejci-Horton
Agreed. IMO Chia really messed up their contracts.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:

With the callups and such no one except for those in the FO likely will. The day to day additions make it impossible for anyone to know for sure. I think Boston will be in pretty good shape come trade deadline though with the actual "really real upper limit" being 70.2 million.

Capgeek states that right now, if Boston's roster doesn't change at all from day 1 to the final day of the season, the Bruins are committed to 66 million in salary. That's a lot of space accruing between now and then, and counts both Savard's and Thomas' cap hits so LTIR figures in after.

They also give the total salary we can add at the deadline, again, assuming the roster changes not one bit. The number is $17,010,671. According to them, and to be fair I assume it's legit but never actually researched, we could afford 3 Jarome Iginla's if need be.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
With the callups and such no one except for those in the FO likely will. The day to day additions make it impossible for anyone to know for sure. I think Boston will be in pretty good shape come trade deadline though with the actual "really real upper limit" being 70.2 million.

Capgeek states that right now, if Boston's roster doesn't change at all from day 1 to the final day of the season, the Bruins are committed to 66 million in salary. That's a lot of space accruing between now and then, and counts both Savard's and Thomas' cap hits so LTIR figures in after.

They also give the total salary we can add at the deadline, again, assuming the roster changes not one bit. The number is $17,010,671. According to them, and to be fair I assume it's legit but never actually researched, we could afford 3 Jarome Iginla's if need be.

Wow! I had no idea!

Thanks, Kaoz. Now we just have to work something out that would be beneficial to the team AND would be attractive to the Flames. I won't settle for no Iggy now.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Wow! I had no idea!

Thanks, Kaoz. Now we just have to work something out that would be beneficial to the team AND would be attractive to the Flames. I won't settle for no Iggy now.
Well let's not get crazy now

It's an optimistic view of our cap situation come deadline day, what with it not accounting for rookie bonuses, call ups, etc... but it is still telling.

Adding a salary like Iginla's come deadline shouldn't be an issue at all, and Chia could still likely add another 2-3 mill dman as well and still be fairly confident he wouldn't have to dip into next years budget with overages, etc...

Bruins are in a good place for sure, especially if they continue to look strong as then they'd also look more attractive to guys like Iggy. Other teams like the Penguins and Kings will no doubt be in the running for those big guns as well, but it really looks like the Rangers with the needed Arnott signing will be in a bind to do anything come deadline day to that scale. With the way they throw cash around and the draw they usually have to those types that's great news as far as I'm concerned.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:34 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Well let's not get crazy now

It's an optimistic view of our cap situation come deadline day, what with it not accounting for rookie bonuses, call ups, etc... but it is still telling.

Adding a salary like Iginla's come deadline shouldn't be an issue at all, and Chia could still likely add another 2-3 mill dman as well and still be fairly confident he wouldn't have to dip into next years budget with overages, etc...

Bruins are in a good place for sure, especially if they continue to look strong as then they'd also look more attractive to guys like Iggy. Other teams like the Penguins and Kings will no doubt be in the running for those big guns as well, but it really looks like the Rangers with the needed Arnott signing will be in a bind to do anything come deadline day to that scale. With the way they throw cash around and the draw they usually have to those types that's great news as far as I'm concerned.
Can the Penguins offer anything? I mean.. without looking at their cap situation, how the hell can they afford Crosby, Malkin, Letang AND Iginla? While still icing a competative team? Admittedly, I have no idea how their prospects (or any other team's) look either.

If it's true that cap space won't be an issue should that day come.. it will come down to how much Chia gives up to get him. I think the Bruins could grab him without giving up any core players and just offer a couple of their top prospects and a pick or two. Does Iginla have a NMC/NTC? if so, then he would probably only go to a contending team.. and there may not be too many contending teams that can offer 2 future top-6 players. Question is.. would that be too much for an aging Iginla?

Old
01-27-2013, 12:44 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Can the Penguins offer anything? I mean.. without looking at their cap situation, how the hell can they afford Crosby, Malkin, Letang AND Iginla? While still icing a competative team? Admittedly, I have no idea how their prospects (or any other team's) look either.

If it's true that cap space won't be an issue should that day come.. it will come down to how much Chia gives up to get him. I think the Bruins could grab him without giving up any core players and just offer a couple of their top prospects and a pick or two. Does Iginla have a NMC/NTC? if so, then he would probably only go to a contending team.. and there may not be too many contending teams that can offer 2 future top-6 players. Question is.. would that be too much for an aging Iginla?
They do it by having inexpensive bottom tier contracts. Outside Malkin, Crosby and Neal they have no forwards making over 4 mill and only 1 making over 3 mill. Same on the back end, one guy making over 4mill. They're only committed to 61 mill this year so have even more space then we do.

Boston doesn't have the high cost contracts, but they have a lot of expensive mid tier contracts. 8 contracts up front making over 3 mill adds up. 4 mill on the 4th line adds up. Then you figure in an additional 9 mill of space to Thomas and Savard. To be fair though, that is the price you pay for having one of, if not the outright best, 4th line in hockey.

It will come down to who has what in terms of assets to give up that could entice a team like Calgary to part with Iggy, because no doubt he'd OK a trade to any team that looked as strong as both Boston and Pittsburgh will.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Shaun

Lebrun wrote this last season

Quote:
Iginla's future
There's been much debate already in Calgary this season about Jarome Iginla's future. It's a delicate situation. He's arguably the most popular player in franchise history, and the owners of the team adore him.

GM Jay Feaster needs Iginla to approve any trade given the players' no-movement clause and, just as importantly, needs his owners' blessing. And that's if Feaster himself decides it's the best route of action.

If and when Iginla decides he's finally ready for a change -- and on Tuesday he told Calgary media that he hasn't changed his stance on not wanting to be traded -- you can bet the defending Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins will be among the teams sniffing that one out. The B's won't be alone, of course, but a source confirmed to ESPN.com Tuesday that the club would have some genuine interest in bringing Iginla on board should a trade possibility ever come to pass later in the season.

Iginla has one more season left on his deal, paying him $7 million.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...abor-deal-talk

I would hope the Bruins would still try and acquire him.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Rubber Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Lebrun wrote this last season

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...abor-deal-talk

I would hope the Bruins would still try and acquire him.
We've seen in the past how Chia likes to get his guy. If Iginla becomes available, I'd bet he ends up here.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:04 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
It's not about which line he's on.. it's about who he's playing with. I hate to be "that guy" but remember that Claude gives the same amount of ice time to nearly every line (including the 4th.. well, sometimes).

That's why my mind went to putting him (Iginla) with Kelly and Peverley. That's an instant upgrade to Bourque. And Iginla is used to putting up points not playing with the most talented fellows and yet more often than not in Calgary, the other team puts up their best lines against him. (and Kelly and Peverley are no slouches anyway)

With him on the third line, that's a one, two, three punch (and a sucker punch from the 4th line ). You have some pretty potent offense spread out across 3 lines without giving up anything. You're also adding size and grit that was missing with Bourque there. After theory-crafting this all out, at least to me it makes perfect sense.

But again.. it would take quite a bit to get him. The Flames are definitely in a place to lock up young talent and they certainly aren't going to get well-established top-line NHL players for an aging Iginla so being rich in decent prospects might give the Bruins an advantage. But we'd have to be prepared to give up Spooner or Koko, another prospect (Krug?) and some picks to get him. I know that would probably be too much for some folks here. But assuming Chia can manage contracts and the cap.. our forwards (and D!) are set for Cup run after Cup run (seriously, all of them.) for at least another 3-5 years.. depends on how much Iginla has left in the tank.. but playing slightly less minutes across a deep as **** team might stretch out his career another season or two as well.

Plus... from his point of view; he still needs dat Cup. What better team to go to than the Boston Bruins?

EDIT - Didn't even think about having to give up Kelly or Peverley.. The Flames may absolutely want an established NHL player to add to their roster right away along with picks and prospects. It would be tough but I'd rather give up Peverley. Kelly is extremely valuable on the PK and protecting one goal leads in the waning minutes of a game. If it were possible, I'd still love to see a Peverley - Kelly - Iginla line but obviously might not be realistic due to what we'd have to give up (as well as the cap)
Iginla would instantly become our most established scorer although at this point maybe Segs has the edge IMO. Either way if it could be done you bring him in and put him on the top line and move Horton down. There shouldn't even be a question. Our lineup is just as insane having Horton on our 3rd line. That is insane depth.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Fire Sweeney

I think Iginla will be heading to Chiacgo. They have more prospects to trade than us and they are a lock for the SC finals.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:12 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
I think Iginla will be heading to Chiacgo. They have more prospects to trade than us and they are a lock for the SC finals.
Certainly they'd definitely be in the running if they want him. He'd stay out west which might interest him more

It's probably between the Chicago, Boston and Pittsburgh if Iginla and Calgary decide to part ways.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:18 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
I don't get it. St. Louis and maybe even San Jose?

Closed Thread