HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you happy with Dubnyk in net now and in the future?

View Poll Results: are you happy with dubnyk in net?
yes 78 26.44%
no 81 27.46%
will give him one more year 68 23.05%
too early to tell, he is sill developing 48 16.27%
Oilers need a backup who can play more games to give him a break 20 6.78%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-27-2013, 02:28 PM
Njoy Oilers

vCash: 500
The whole team needs to pick their games up. Hard to single out one guy. 2 yrs at 3.5mil means he will be here at least that long. Get rid of Smith as D coach and bring in a coach that makes some noise. Fwds start improving their assignments, and suddenly Duby has a ill more confidence.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:31 PM
Petro Points

I am happy with Dubnyk... it is the defense that worries me more..

I wanted Luongo but now have realized that all goalies will make mistakes.. Dubnyk went head to head vs Quick and Luongo and got his team a W.

Instead of giving up a great asset and paying an additional 2M for better goalie we should just fix up our D.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:36 PM
DousedInOil

Kipper, Fleury, Lundqvist and Ward all have save percentages near what Dubnyk has. I'm not exactly a Dubnyk fan but it's hard to let him fall on the sword when we are constantly playing bad defence and getting outshot.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:43 PM
Dempsey

I'm not overly confident in him going forward that he's the answer, but that's not based on these four games. I've never thought he's going to be a top starter, and a top starter is what we will need to win it all IMO.

Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:45 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post

Instead of giving up a great asset and paying an additional 2M for better goalie we should just fix up our D.
I agree with this as well. If we bump everyone down a slot I think we would be fine. Petry and Smid aren't playing up to standards and it's hard to rely on them to be a top pairing dman. Move them down to number 3 and 4 and they would be much better.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Oil and Avs

Im happy with Dubnyk as long as he keeps improving, but he cant be a dependable goalie letting in a softie every game. We need a goalie who can steal an occasional game for us, not one we have to bail out.

Oil and Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:57 PM
xlnc66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil and Avs View Post
Im happy with Dubnyk as long as he keeps improving, but he cant be a dependable goalie letting in a softie every game. We need a goalie who can steal an occasional game for us, not one we have to bail out.
Yup, i think he's gonna be one of those goalies that will always give up the softie and never overcome it. That Bouwmeester goal yesterday was just weak. For a guy who is 6'5" and takes up a lot of the net, he still gives up a lot of goals he shouldn't be.

xlnc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:27 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
No confidence in him whatsoever. It's guaranteed that he lets in 1 bad goal a game plus he seems incapable of making that big save to deny a sure goal.
to be fair he's had some OK saves against quality chances. none of highlight reel quality but that's fine. is he disappointing, sure. but he needs more help in front of him from all the skaters. hoping for Hasek to be back there while the rest of the team clowns around playing Reality NHL 13 with fancy BS and soft hockey isnt helping anyhow.

the offense on this team has to be better. the STARS of this team, outside of Schultz, havent been amazing either. if you want to play offensive hockey/run-and-gun/puck control as your strategy, f-ing play it properly and make it a little easier on your mediocre goalie. or how about the defense shows up. Jeff Petry thinking he's Bobby Orr down in the offensive corner leading to goals and being behind on the play for others = garbage D.

Jeff Petry was an F last night.

outside of the garbage time goal (which they needed an extra man to convert - as usual), the top two lines 5-on-5 were D's at best.

be more responsible with the D position, be stronger on the puck, make your machinery less complex for scoring chances or just pray for PP's all year.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Burnt Biscuits

I like Dubnyk and have been pulling for him to come through for a long time, his season starts are generally a bit weaker and he gets better down the stretch drive. Through 4 games he hasn't been good enough is the bottom line, but it is just 4 games and has shown enough in the past that he deserves more time (obviously). I kind of wish we didn't sign him to the contract he is on though and I think that stems from my lack of confidence of him in as a starter, plus if he falters the thought is he would still make a solid back-up but at that pay cheque that is a heck of a lot for a back-up or even the 2nd half of a goalie tandem.

Burnt Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 0
To me, he is no better than JDD was. Still has moments of greatness followed by terrible goals. For a big guy, he gets beat high way to much. He is not the answer. We need a proven goalie badly.

Last edited by Seedling: 01-27-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

With the success of Jonas Hiller, anyone else interested in what Benjamin Conz might bring to the table in NA?

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:25 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
With the success of Jonas Hiller, anyone else interested in what Benjamin Conz might bring to the table in NA?
I believe his size and his style is why he was overlooked. His game apparently is similar to Varlamov when the latter broke into the league-excessive movement causing fatigue throughout the game. Unless he's changed his style, not gonna last very long considering how often we get outshot

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:03 PM
CpatainCanuck

Come on fellas: We'll give you Luongo for Yakupov..and we'll even throw in Mason Raymond to boot!

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:23 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
Come on fellas: We'll give you Luongo for Yakupov..and we'll even throw in Mason Raymond to boot!
Luongo has an unsustainable contract.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:13 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil and Avs View Post
I agree with most of what you said. If there is some improvement that will be great. He has definitely let in at least one soft goal every game this season.

Could the improvement come when the games count for something?

Sorry, but the tail end of last season and the Spengler Cup. Not too much on the line for either.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Jamin

If you like one softie per game he is your man

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Pressure
Tier 1/2 and 3 fan

No confidence in him, never had.

Your starting goalie cannot let soft goals in. Your starting goal has to steal one/some of those "for sure" goals.

Regardless of how the defence is playing, the starter has to be able to elevate his game to the next level. Dubnyk cannot do this. Therefore he is not a starter, is not our future.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:41 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Happy is a strong word.

I've come to the point where I've accepted that Dubnyk will never possess the focus and compete necessary to be a top 10 goalie in the league. Best case scenario is that he's mediocre.

What I'm not sure about is whether mediocre will be good enough. I strongly suspect it won't be.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:47 PM
joestevens29

I'll give him this year. I still don't know if he'll ever be that #1 starter you want or just a 1a who you need a real decent backup to have with him.

Edit: I think what's worse for me right now is there doesn't look like anyone is going to step up from within the organization anytime soon. And I'm not even talking about becoming a starter. I don't even know that Roy or Bunz are even close to being a NHL backup.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:09 PM
NeutralZone

Goalies are hard to predict. The best ones each season often seem to come out of nowhere and those that seems like sure fire bets often quickly fade. You only have to look at the various goalies with giant contracts and mediocre performances to realize trying to "lock up" a great goalie long term is a dangerous proposition.

Dubnyk is Edmonton's best bet for a legitimate starting goalie right now. If an opportunity presents itself I wouldn't object to picking up someone else, but I think it would be foolish to give up major assets to try and get one. Draft goalies, trade for prospects, sign reasonably priced UFAs and hope for some magic.

NeutralZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:42 PM
BadMedicine*

I watched Hall of Fame goaltending here in Edmonton over the years and dont remember many still wet behind the ears goalies who hadnt achieved a hill of beans yet making innuendos that their workmates were collectively lazy after they were blown out. Danis deserved a start after his excellent two periods and Dubby needed a night off after his meltdown, if we let this kid start using excuses now before he is even established we are in for trouble. Dubynk looked very shaky on most of his goals against this year,he is being caught down and immobile, teams have a lot of big goaltenders to learn from in the league right now and they are simply outworking Dubby, for a big tender Dubby is a cream-puff between the pipes, he is like a kitten. When a man with Dubby size fails to establish himself and relys on the refs to do it for him it is like an MMA fighter failing the submission or knockout and leaving it up to the judges who as we all know might do anything under the sun on any given night. Dubynk has no "sphere of influence" around his crease which he protects like a yard-dog with his body, BIG stick--hint-hint, teeth or whatever it takes and he determines the respect level opponents give him based on this dimension of his game, Dubby gets one penalty every ten games to defend himself with or pay forward and he needs to start using them. Dubbys aggressive tactics including simply snapping and using his size to level someone will always give our d-men a reason to engage and not take extra penaltys because when you mess with a goalie the opposition gets a mulligan in the penalty department, if the d-man just overreacts aggressively he will take penaltys but in defense of his tender he can take libertys.

I want to see Danis again, and sooner than later, Dubynk played way better when he was hungry, if we had simply played the hottest hand then Danis would maybe still be in net for us for all we know. SJ didnt exactly mail those last two periods in.

It is all irrellevant because my gut says Luongo will soon be in town and then we will have a number 1 and a 1A, and Luongo will be the starter likely backed by Khabby and Danis.Had Vancouver had Khabby they might have cup rings, he is perfect to back up a tender like Luongo who plays better with more work in the regular season and provide a different look during the Playoffs. I sadly think Van will want Dubby in a trade. I see Whitney-Dubby/Horcoff-and Tuebert going west and Luongo a bag of pucks and a Stanley Cup coming east to us.

BadMedicine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:49 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

He's had his moments where he looks like a #1. He also has his moments where he looks like a career backup.

I just haven't seen him put together enough of a dominant stretch to be considered a true #1.

And because the Oilers don't play a system that favors goalies (you know, one where there is competent defence), we need a true #1 to be successful.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:01 PM
stangconv

Not sold on him either... Would have rather started Denis...

I have about the same confidence in Dubnyk as I did in the 3 headed monster...

stangconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Eytinge

Never believed in Dubnyk much. He never inspires confidence to believe in him. Always plays well down the stretch of seasons when other clubs are just taking it easy against us. Is huge but doesn't use his size, and can't track the puck well. I wanted us to go after Harding.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:22 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
He's had his moments where he looks like a #1. He also has his moments where he looks like a career backup.

I just haven't seen him put together enough of a dominant stretch to be considered a true #1.

And because the Oilers don't play a system that favors goalies (you know, one where there is competent defence), we need a true #1 to be successful.
I think with the system the Oiler's play they need to find a very athletic goaltender who can recover quickly, and also be able to to not give up to many rebounds to settle this team down when they start running around in their own zone.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote