HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K. Subban Thread IX: 'Try to make this one last longer than a day' Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
agreed...but because its Gorges/Prust, it's perceived differently

perception is everything
Gorges plays the white way.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
I don't mean to harp on spelling, but the proper spelling of his last name is right on the back of his sweater. I mean... did you even try looking up his contract before you wrote that? Because maybe you would have found out he:

- Makes less than John Michael Liles
- Less than Eric Brewer
- Same cap hit as Tim Gleason
- A tad more than Kyle Quincey
- Same cap hit as Kuba
- Same cap hit but $4M less than Erhoff

And I'd say Gorges is a better defender than all of them. Maybe look around the league before you decide a player is overpaid?
Simple enough, Southernhab's perception of cap hits is stuck somewhere around 2006.

Same with people calling out Prust's cap hit.

The average NHL salary is 2,3 mil this year. OMG he makes 200k more than the average NHL player salary!!! What an overpayment.

And that's not considering that on a full cap, the average salary is 2,8 mil. Just 1,1 mil less than what Gorges is making,

It would also be good for these posters to notice that the max salary for a single player on a 70 mil cap is 14 mil. Gorges makes 10 mil less than that.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:38 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
You want to see Markov and Subban together?

DO WANT

Old
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
You know what really sucks in all of this? We've been saying for the last 3 years "can't wait to see Subban and Markov together". Finally Markov is back, and Subban is the one out.
Very frustrating, I know.
We're all looking forward to this but it doesn't look like like destiny fot those two to be playing at the same time.
Watch Subban come back...and markov gets injured.

You, others, and I will keep repeating this (''cant' wait for Markov+Subban reunion'') until we actually see it (Markov and Subban playing at the same time for our Habs).

Go Subban Go!! (please get that fair deal you deserve...it's not as entertaining watching the Habs without you).

Old
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Simple enough, Southernhab's perception of cap hits is stuck somewhere around 2006.
This seems to be common all over the Internet. Same with people believing that scoring is still at 1996 levels and that 90 point players grow on trees.

The best way to actually look at a players contract is by looking at how much of our cap he is. Gorges is 5.56% of our cap according to Capgeek. When you look at it that way, it gives you a lot more perspective.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:39 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
Current contract is about 800k? So the offer is about a 400% increase? Rough
I hate when people lie with numbers.

The offer is a 191.43% increase.

A 400% increase would be $4.375M per year.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:41 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post

I think that was less lying and more about the poster not knowing math very well.

I only say that because I've been garbage at math forever.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:

Even then, it's a disingenuous number to bring up due to the nature of entry level contracts. Cherry picking at it's finest.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post

Same with people calling out Prust's cap hit.

The average NHL salary is 2,3 mil this year. OMG he makes 200k more than the average NHL player salary!!! What an overpayment.

And that's not considering that on a full cap, the average salary is 2,8 mil. Just 1,1 mil less than what Gorges is making,

It would also be good for these posters to notice that the max salary for a single player on a 70 mil cap is 14 mil. Gorges makes 10 mil less than that.
My thinking on Prust is, it is relatively easy to find depth forwards. I don't see much separating Prust from, for example, Ryan White or Taylor Pyatt, Prust's 1.5mil replacement in New York. To bring it all full circle, that 1mil difference is only 1.4% of the cap, but can make a big difference when trying to get deals done with top players, like Subban. Basically, it's easier to find value at the bottom end of the roster than at the top. Maloney has done a great job of this in Phoenix.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:43 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebighockeyfan View Post
Negotiations stared with PK saying he will nto be at camp if he had no deal. He was posturing from the start and insisting on a long-term deal, two things management was not keen about. Fault can go both ways.
One is not allowed to be in camp without a contract!!!

It is different if it a year ahead of time. Like Patches this year. If he said he would not come to camp without an extension starting NEXT YEAR, he would have been rightly criticized.

But Subban cannot be criticized for stating the rule, that he cannot be in camp without a contract.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Even then, it's a disingenuous number to bring up due to the nature of entry level contracts. Cherry picking at it's finest.
Kristo isn't getting paid, therefore he should shut up and accept $1 per game next year, right?

Old
01-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Habaddict

Quote:

What "lie"? Many people have no idea what % means. That makes it
a misunderstanding. "Lie" refers to a statement that is intentionally incorrect.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:46 PM
kyne

When you consider how much Pacioretty and Price signed for in each of their respective bridge contracts, the contract offer to Subban is quite reasonable. I'd perhaps go as high as Price's $2.75 million per year but no more.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
One is not allowed to be in camp without a contract!!!

It is different if it a year ahead of time. Like Patches this year. If he said he would not come to camp without an extension starting NEXT YEAR, he would have been rightly criticized.

But Subban cannot be criticized for stating the rule, that he cannot be in camp without a contract.
I think his beef is that PK could have paid for an insurance like Iginla did a few years in order to participate to camp. But that's still stupid. Most players don't show up to camp without a contract. Getting insurance doesn't make it a risk free. In no way would it help you get a contract.
Guy has just been looking at every possibly way to criticize PK right from the start.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:48 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
My thinking on Prust is, it is relatively easy to find depth forwards. I don't see much separating Prust from, for example, Ryan White or Taylor Pyatt, Prust's 1.5mil replacement in New York. To bring it all full circle, that 1mil difference is only 1.4% of the cap, but can make a big difference when trying to get deals done with top players, like Subban. Basically, it's easier to find value at the bottom end of the roster than at the top. Maloney has done a great job of this in Phoenix.
Ask any Rangers fan and they'll tell you that they miss having Prust. There's a thread on this very forum now from a Rangers fan missing Prust.

Pyatt is good since he's huge but he isn't a defensive replacement for Pyatt. Ryan White isn't there yet and definitely isn't the fighter that Prust is.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyne View Post
When you consider how much Pacioretty and Price signed for in each of their respective bridge contracts, the contract offer to Subban is quite reasonable. I'd perhaps go as high as Price's $2.75 million per year but no more.
How are people still bringing up Price and MaxPac's deals today??
This is the 9th freaking thread.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:50 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyne View Post
When you consider how much Pacioretty and Price signed for in each of their respective bridge contracts, the contract offer to Subban is quite reasonable.
That argument has been made a million times.

It's really important to identify the individual situations.

Price wasn't the starter, and was having some struggles.

Pacioretty was relatively fresh from the AHL, and had some injury concerns.

Subban has been playing the #1D position for 2 years now.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=652630

Interesting how he said that...made it seem like he's about to sign with the way he said it...
Can't help but feel a bit reassured reading this...

Old
01-27-2013, 01:51 PM
Et le But

Price lost his starting job and Pacioretty was coming off a horrible injury when they signed their bridge deals. Once again, Subban has no reason to accept the same deals they did.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:52 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
That argument has been made a million times.

It's really important to identify the individual situations.

Price wasn't the starter, and was having some struggles.

Pacioretty was relatively fresh from the AHL, and had some injury concerns.

Subban has been playing the #1D position for 2 years now.
This post should be in the thread title.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:56 PM
PricePkPatch

22 pages?!?

Come on, people! The OP Practically dared us to do better than that!!!

Ours is not to ask why
Ours is but to post and cry

COME ON!! We can finish this thread!

Old
01-27-2013, 02:02 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Sorry I got you in this mess! I should have written...in last 3 years he seems to have developed an injury prone body...a delicate body...or maybe that doesn't sound good either...I understand many here want to defend/protect Markov...not sure delicate is better than ''frail'' or actually...like most NHLers...they're all in great shape (most of them) but it doesn't stop some from being frail when it comes to receiving bodychecks (Ribeiro looks frail at 160lbs, but he seems to wiggle away quite well from violent bodychecks...Ribeiro is actually a major iron-man compared to Markov even though Markov is thicker/more muscular vs Ribs, but Ribs is the iron-man among the two,etc...). And I've seen Markov in person several years ago...looked to be in good shape ...and then Bouillon walked by right after and I'd say Bouillon was built like a tank or mini-tank (5'9-max.5'10...not that tall but wide shoulders/chest...big,etc)...anyways I don't want to turn this into a man/muscle/big players-lots-of-muscles kind of post!! I just wanted to say that Markov has an injury prone body in last 3 seasons... but yes I am happy that he's healthy (4 games now)...but let's keep our fingers crossed...some may think I'm wishing an injury on him so you could hate me more, but it's the opposite...I'm just sick of him always getting injured...I'm preying he could stay healthy so Subban and him can finally dominate the PP together... knocking on wood 'cause I really want Subban to benefit from Markov and vice versa. You've all been waiting for a Markov-Subban reunion...same here. Will it ever happen? (fantasy?! I hope it will be a reality and not just for 5 or 10 games).
Oh please this is the Subban, thread...keep your Markov obsession for the Markov threads. Just plain rubbish this post.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Ask any Rangers fan and they'll tell you that they miss having Prust. There's a thread on this very forum now from a Rangers fan missing Prust.

Pyatt is good since he's huge but he isn't a defensive replacement for Pyatt. Ryan White isn't there yet and definitely isn't the fighter that Prust is.
I miss Begin, I loved his style of play. However, I'm not sure that replacing him with Kostopoulos cost the team much in terms of wins.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Straw man arguments aside, so far signing players to a bridge contract has actually cost us more in the long run (Plekanec, Gorges, Price), so this concept is counter productive.
Where is your logic on this ridiculous statement?

Old
01-27-2013, 02:05 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I miss Begin, I loved his style of play. However, I'm not sure that replacing him with Kostopoulos cost the team much in terms of wins.
Because he was a piece of ****.

There aren't a lot of players I will openly hate for who they are. Begin is one of them.

Closed Thread