HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2013, 01:34 PM
  #51
cphabs
It complels you!
 
cphabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: WNY
Country: United States
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
Melnik said a couple of days ago that Prust is the new Chris Nilan. Good comparison IMO. I also see him as between a Chris Neil and Scott Hartnell. Great addition to our team!
We're talking Knuckles... right? I hope so, because there has only been one player that I find appropiate to use in the same sentence with his name. As much as it pains me, Rob Ray. Just my .02


Last edited by cphabs: 01-27-2013 at 01:46 PM.
cphabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:35 PM
  #52
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,976
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
He's not as good of an offensive player as Hartnell. He's a little like Knuckles, less intimidating but more well rounded. He's above average defensively for sure.
Closer to Neil. Prust doesn't have near the same offensive touch as Hartnell does.

__________________
Shawn Wilken,
Head of Hockey Department
LastWordOnSports.com


Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:35 PM
  #53
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 3,261
vCash: 500
Neil is probably a good comparison for Prust.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:36 PM
  #54
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
oooooo boy, here we go again. Analyzer talk about a player that he probably never saw..... Bordeleau is more of a Steve Mac than a John Scott
So why do we need Bordeleau ? Is it because we're hoping another struggling player that took forever to finally make it to the NHL might be useful ? Or just because he's French ?

I'd rather have a guy who's willing to beat down Stortini and be useful when he's out there.

Habs are fine as is. We don't need any 3-5 minute a night goons. Why ? Because if something goes down he more than likely won't even be on the ice for it to take action.

Personally, I'd prefer Ryan Reeves. He'd "cost" more to acquire.

When it comes down to it, I'd be even more happy with getting rid of Kaberle and replacing him with Shane O'Brien.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:38 PM
  #55
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,650
vCash: 500
If this team needs anymore "toughness", it's in the back end, someone to alternate with Boullion. I'd rather not rush Tinordi for that role.

The only team that has players who can consistently outmatch Prust is Boston, and Boston's heavyweights can actually play hockey making a goon useless.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:45 PM
  #56
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 3,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
If this team needs anymore "toughness", it's in the back end, someone to alternate with Boullion. I'd rather not rush Tinordi for that role.
Subban isn't weak either. His toughness gets underestimated just because he doesn't fight after hitting a guy hard.

Thrower could definitely make a 5th/6th someday on the Canadiens at 5'11" and definitely knows how to, er, thrower.

Morgan Ellis is an excellent, gritty shut down defender and at 6'2" people should be fine with his size.

Beaulieu is still developing his physical game but nobody should count him out. He certainly isn't soft.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:48 PM
  #57
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Subban isn't weak either. His toughness gets underestimated just because he doesn't fight after hitting a guy hard.

Thrower could definitely make a 5th/6th someday on the Canadiens at 5'11" and definitely knows how to, er, thrower.

Morgan Ellis is an excellent, gritty shut down defender and at 6'2" people should be fine with his size.

Beaulieu is still developing his physical game but nobody should count him out. He certainly isn't soft.
Yeah, our future is fine in this regard. If there's anything hurting the bluelines toughness right now, it's Subban being lowballed.

It would have been nice getting someone bigger and younger than Boullion for that bottom end gritty role, but I guess the price fits. Assuming Subban replaces Kaberle you have at least one physical d-man per pairing. I think big hits are more intimidating than fights anyway.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:50 PM
  #58
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 3,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Yeah, our future is fine in this regard. If there's anything hurting the bluelines toughness right now, it's Subban being lowballed.

It would have been nice getting someone bigger and younger than Boullion for that bottom end gritty role, but I guess the price fits. Assuming Subban replaces Kaberle you have at least one physical d-man per pairing. I think big hits are more intimidating than fights anyway.
The biggest issue is crease clearing. Price is actually one of the best in the league for goaltenders able to clear the crease of a Holmstrom without losing track of the puck but he can't be doing that all of the time. Cube is tough to play against but he isn't clearing anyone out. Gorges has trouble from time to time of doing it too. It was the biggest loss Montreal dealt with when Hal Gill got traded. Heck, it's why the Canadiens signed him after letting Komisarek go.

That's where Tinordi comes in next season.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:53 PM
  #59
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
The biggest issue is crease clearing. Price is actually one of the best in the league for goaltenders able to clear the crease of a Holmstrom without losing track of the puck but he can't be doing that all of the time. Cube is tough to play against but he isn't clearing anyone out. Gorges has trouble from time to time of doing it too. It was the biggest loss Montreal dealt with when Hal Gill got traded. Heck, it's why the Canadiens signed him after letting Komisarek go.

That's where Tinordi comes in next season.
Yeah, I agree this is a problem right now. At this rate Tinordi will be ready for a bottom pairing role next season but to call him up now would be a mistake. Having Subban back would at least be a start, for now.

At least we have some forwards willing to battle in the crease.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:58 PM
  #60
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,959
vCash: 500
Nice read about Prust in this article from yesterday.

Brandon Prust Fan Club keeps on growing

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...239/story.html


Really like this part from Dale Hunter about Prust..

Quote:
And for Canadiens fans who are just getting to know Prust, here’s a final message from Hunter:

“He’s a heart-and-soul kid … he’ll do anything for the team. He puts the team ahead of anything. If the team needs a fight to lift the team he’ll do it … if it needs a big hit he’ll do it … block a shot … he does the intangibles that coaches love. He’s heart and soul … he’ll play with the young kids and he’ll help them.

“He gives you confidence. We played against him last year in the playoffs against the Rangers … he was doing everything. He would block a shot with his face if it saved a goal … he’s that kind of kid. He did that with us here (in London) and he continued it in the National Hockey League.

“Montreal will love him because the fans will see that.”

The line forms on the right.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:14 PM
  #61
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cphabs View Post
Prust need to grow a mustache like McPhee! Also, we need to ask him who his favorite grinders are... then try to get a few
If Prust grows a mustache, I will join MasterDecoy and “... rethink my sexuality.”! A Prust’s mustache would be the perfect offspring of Lanny McDonald’s stache (I bend my knee to his stache but damned him!) and Mara’s beard!


PS for the McPhee reference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
If this team needs anymore "toughness", it's in the back end, someone to alternate with Boullion. I'd rather not rush Tinordi for that role.

The only team that has players who can consistently outmatch Prust is Boston, and Boston's heavyweights can actually play hockey making a goon useless.
Regarding “... I'd rather not rush Tinordi for that role...”, (1) Tinordi opened some eyes (including Commodore’s) during the last training camp and (2) once Subban (or the return we get from him) is back on the ice, Kaberle becomes our #7 and then you have, in no particular order, Saint-Denis, Weber and, for sporadic duties if it becomes necessary, Tinordi.

Commodore spoke highly of Tinordi when he was released and I really think he (Tinordi) is ready to assume, right now, the role of an emergency call-up. Heck... imo Tinordi is a lock for next season.


PS I know Tinordi mentioned, after his NHL camp, that he needs to take quicker decisions... but, frankly, it’s music to my hears and it only reinforces my opinion that this guy is the real deal.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:20 PM
  #62
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 3,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
PS I know Tinordi mentioned, after his NHL camp, that he needs to take quicker decisions... but, frankly, it’s music to my hears and it only reinforce my opinion that this guy is the real deal.
If he ends up playing like his father but staying healthy, Montreal is in for a treat.


No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:26 PM
  #63
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
If he ends up playing like his father but staying healthy, Montreal is in for a treat.

Weird. I was almost 100% certain Tinordi played for the Dogs this year..

Stupid me.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:27 PM
  #64
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,966
vCash: 500
Nevermind, he is. Stupid Wikipedia

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:30 PM
  #65
bud12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
So why do we need Bordeleau ? Is it because we're hoping another struggling player that took forever to finally make it to the NHL might be useful ? Or just because he's French ?

I'd rather have a guy who's willing to beat down Stortini and be useful when he's out there.

Habs are fine as is. We don't need any 3-5 minute a night goons. Why ? Because if something goes down he more than likely won't even be on the ice for it to take action.

Personally, I'd prefer Ryan Reeves. He'd "cost" more to acquire.

When it comes down to it, I'd be even more happy with getting rid of Kaberle and replacing him with Shane O'Brien.
the problem with your argument is that Reaves and Bordeleau are really comparable in term of hockey skills. But Bordeleau is a way better fighter and he is way meaner and a better enforcer too. Reaves have been called spot-picker in the ahl like Scott.

Ahl hockey, do you watch somes ?????

bud12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:30 PM
  #66
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
If he ends up playing like his father but staying healthy, Montreal is in for a treat.

I hated Tinordi and Clark in the same way I hated the Nordiques. It’s a compliment btw but I’d rather burn in hell if the choice is between “Hell to them” or “Hail to them”!

**** Chara too!


PS I agree with you: I would be pleased if he brings the same kind of contribution than his dad.


Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 01-27-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:36 PM
  #67
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 4,367
vCash: 500
Nilan-lite is a good comparison, but I think the Neil comparison is bang on.

Dr Gonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:15 PM
  #68
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,172
vCash: 500
Prust is showing thus far why he's a perfect "tough" bottom six player...

Sticks up for his teammates effectively
Solid as a regular ES hockey player
Reliable & smart enough to play big PK min
Skilled enough to play with offensively talented linemates


He was exactly what we needed, making his contract a wise calculated risk & one we won't likely regret unless injuries derail his career

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:42 PM
  #69
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I'll never get why the Rangers let go of what was possibly the best 4th liner in the NHL because they could have Asham for 1, 1 mil less!!! Asham can't do 1/10th of what Prust can do with the puck or on the pk, plus Prust is a better fighter. Anyways whatever, it's our (huge) gain, Prust is already a fan favorite here, proof is I ordered his jersey online
We didn't replace Prust with Asham, we replaced him with Pyatt, which looks pretty good.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:19 PM
  #70
MAYO
Registered User
 
MAYO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MONTREAL
Country: Canada
Posts: 383
vCash: 500
How embarrassing as a Ranger fan to see someone from my camp think that because Pyatt has scored 3 goals this was a good move for us. You can't replace a guy like Prust period! I seriously miss this guy and so do the Rangers, we don't have the same identity without him. Good win tonight boys, and ohhhh ya, nice goal by that guy wearing number 8, I think his name is .......... Wait for it, yah Prust baby!

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:28 PM
  #71
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
His buddy Michael Rupp in NY would be damn perfect for our style of team. Colorado also has a 6'6 homeboy Patrick Bordeleau not doing so bad. Another one is Bissonnette who looks like an awesome locker room presence.
With Bergevin at the helm, look for changes that include guys like the ones you mentioned.

The Devils announcers on MSG talked with Therrien before the game and they came away that Bervevin and Therrien are looking to have a complete change in culture from the Habs away from being the soft team to being the team that makes other teams uncomfortable to play against.

Sort of like when we were winning Cups.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:31 PM
  #72
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
Trade a 1st for him? I hope you are kidding
He is completely against having a tough team.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:34 PM
  #73
MAYO
Registered User
 
MAYO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MONTREAL
Country: Canada
Posts: 383
vCash: 500
I would give you guys Rupp for a years supply of poutine and unlimited Solid Gold lap dances. Take him please!

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:47 PM
  #74
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYO View Post
How embarrassing as a Ranger fan to see someone from my camp think that because Pyatt has scored 3 goals this was a good move for us. You can't replace a guy like Prust period! I seriously miss this guy and so do the Rangers, we don't have the same identity without him. Good win tonight boys, and ohhhh ya, nice goal by that guy wearing number 8, I think his name is .......... Wait for it, yah Prust baby!
I don't see how it's embarrassing. Prust type players have been dime-a-dozen for the Rangers comparable to guys like Betts and Ortmeyer. Sure he was part of the identity with the Rangers in terms of hardwork/blue collar types, but their core still fits to that identity including their captain. I don't think he is worth 2.5m for the Rangers, but the Habs I guess have cap space to spare and needed this type of player. Rangers always seem to find Prust-types from the waiver wire or their own AHL callups for some reason.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:52 PM
  #75
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYO View Post
I would give you guys Rupp for a years supply of poutine and unlimited Solid Gold lap dances. Take him please!
This I can agree with.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.