HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2012-2013 AUS Regular Season Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Big Bad Jon

vCash: 500
Given that St.Fx staff may go on strike in a couple weeks, could that impact the hockey team? Will the hockey team still play when the profs are all on strike?

Big Bad Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:54 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

They aren't banned from playing during a strike. The issue is whether their coach is a member of the union. If so, he should not be on campus during the strike or partake in coaching duties. Coaching should fall to an assistant who is not a union member - otherwise he's crossing the picket line.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:05 AM
AUS Fan

I don't think there are any coaches who are also profs. I could be wrong.......

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
I don't think there are any coaches who are also profs. I could be wrong.......
You mean at SFX specifically - right?

Gardiner is a Prof at UNB and as such would not be behind the bench if UNB went on strike (Sparks would coach instead)

Old
01-09-2013, 07:57 PM
AUS Fan

Unless the UNB profs are walking, then yes..... SFX

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:37 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Huge night for UNB as they win and see the 2nd place (SMU), 3rd place (Acadia), and 4th place (St. FX) teams all lose.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Rob

UNB 5 STFX 2 - Pridham with a couple of goals for the Vreds. Lacosta back in nets for the win. Owsley take the loss for X. UNB moves 3 points up in first place.

UPEI 2 SMU 1 - Panthers pick up back to back wins over some big teams. Huskies fail to keep pace with the Vreds.

Moncton 4 Acadia 3 - Les Aigles snap their 7 game losing streak. Axemen have surprisingly lost 3 in a row to start the second half.

STU 2 Dal 1 - Tommies win their second in a row at home. Tigers are now six points out of a playoff spot and may be done for good.

I'm looking forward to watching Saturday nights matchup between UNB and SMU. If the Vreds win this one they will probably have first place locked up.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 07:54 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

SMU beats UNB 5-3 despite missing their 2nd leading scorer (Johnston) and Tipoff.

Old
01-12-2013, 08:04 PM
Rob

SMU 5 UNB 3 - Big win for the flu ravaged Huskies who were missing Johnston and Tipoff from their top line. Huskies broke out to an early 3-0 lead before UNB closed the gap with goals by Pridham and Carroll. Hillier restored the two goal lead before Pridham scored his second on a penalty shot. The Vreds took a too many men penalty with over a minute left to end it. Huskies are now just one point back of first place. These two teams meet again in two weeks at the AUC.

Acadia 6 STU 3 - Tommies jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first before the Axemen opened the flood gates with 6 unanswered goals. Jonathan Groenheyde faced 56 shots in the losing effort while Evan Mosher only faced 14.

UPEI 3 STFX 2 - Wayned Savage stopped 36 of 38 shots as the Panthers win their fourth in a row. Apparantly X goaltender Perricone let in a softie in the third for the game winner.

Dal 4 Moncton 0 - Tigers keep their playoff hopes alive and are only four points back of Les Aigles. Nadeau with the shutout.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:16 AM
gleanerguy

V-Reds and Huskies can both clinch playoff spots with wins Wednesday.

gleanerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:02 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

UNB beat STU 7-0...shots were 50-9....not even Thayer Doyle could manipulate this one.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:24 PM
Rob

UNB 3 UPEI 2 (ot) - Probably a big win for the Vreds as they ended up losing three players during the game due to injury. Panthers take first loss in 5 games. Vreds maintain a one point first place lead.

SMU 3 Acadia 2 (so) - Huskies scored with just 27 seconds left in the third to tie it and Hillier scored the shootout winner. Huskies dominated on shots 40-25.

Moncton 5 STU 4 - Tommies comeback just falls short. They were down 5-1 going into the third. Les Aigles are seven points up on the Tigers for the final playoff spot.

STFX 5 DAL 2 - Would have loved to have seen the third peirod of this one. Tons of misconducts and even a fight. 151 penalty minutes overall. X stays in fourth. Tigers are all but done.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Rob

UNB 4 SMU 2 - One of the more exciting games of the season. Critchlow with the game winner late in the third. Peters had a great night in nets for the Huskies. Lacosta with his 12th win of the season for the Vreds. With the victory the Vreds open up a four point lead on the Huskies for first place. Safe to say the UNB will finish first in the AUS for the sixth consecutive season.

Moncton 3 Acadia 2 - Les Aigles upset the Axemen in Wolfville. Andre-Michel Guay made 45 of 47 saves in the victory and may have taken over the number one job from Lemay. The Axemen fail to catch up to SMU for second.

UPEI 8 STFX 2 - I would call this the upset of the night. Not because the Panthers won but because of the score. They outshot X 42-20. X had a full lineup so I'm not sure why it was so lopsided. Panthers move into a fourth place tie with X.

Dal 5 STU 2 - The Tigers win the last installment of the battle of the basement. Shots were pretty even 33-29 in favor of the Tigers over the Tommies.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:01 PM
gleanerguy

Panthers are a team flying below the radar right now...good goaltending, good mobile defence, have the experience of one goal games and have found their offence.

gleanerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:00 PM
Rob

UNB 2 STFX 1 - Kind of a lackluster game compared to last night against the Huskies. To X's credit they played a smart tight checking road game. Left UNB with very few opporutnies. Dion Campbell scored the game winner for the Vreds halfway through the third.

UPEI 6 SMU 5 -The Panthers have really been lighting it up on the scoreboard lately. 8-0-1 since Christmas. They are now four points back of second place.

Dal 8 Moncton 7 (ot) - Who needs defence? Sounded like a wild game. In spite of the win the fact that Les Aigles picked up the extra point eliminated the Tigers from the playoffs for the second straight year.

Acadia 5 STU 2 - Shots on goal were 70-19 in favor of the Axemen. I didn't catch any of the game but going to take a wild guess that Groenheyde stood on his head again for the Tommies. Axemen now tied for second with the Huskies.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:16 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

UPEI is definitely a team to be weary of right now. Any team that has the best goalie in the league is going to be in pretty much every game....and now that they have their offense going they are that much more dangerous. I think I would rather see St. FX and Moncton over them in the playoffs.

In that Acadia/STU game the Axemen must have had the first 28 or so shots of the 3rd period....ridiculous.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:19 PM
FreddtFoyle

UNB clinches 1st place in AUS

With UNB's win and SMU's loss, the V-Reds clinched first place in the AUS tonight. Both Acadia and SMU are 6 points back with only 3 games left, and UNB holds the edge with both teams on the head-to-head tiebreaker.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
With UNB's win and SMU's loss, the V-Reds clinched first place in the AUS tonight. Both Acadia and SMU are 6 points back with only 3 games left, and UNB holds the edge with both teams on the head-to-head tiebreaker.
Also worth noting that there is no way for a 3-way tie (which results in a different tie-breaker equation-UNB likely still comes out on top, but it's moot) as SMU/Acadia play on Friday with one team coming away the loser.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:40 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Also worth noting that there is no way for a 3-way tie (which results in a different tie-breaker equation-UNB likely still comes out on top, but it's moot) as SMU/Acadia play on Friday with one team coming away the loser.
That is going to be a massive game with the winner likely to gain the other 1st round bye.

Just looking at their remaining schedules they both have Dalhousie and St. FX left. SMU plays both of them at home, while Acadia has to go on the road against X. But Acadia hosts the Huskies on Saturday. It's quite the toss-up.

In their 3 previous meetings this season Acadia won 3-2 in regulation and SMU has won 3-2 in OT and 3-2 in a SO. So they have both gained 4 points against one another.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Rob

I was debating whether to post this or not but my source is pretty solid. It looks like the future of the STU Tommies Men's hockey program may be in doubt. I have a relative who is a faculty member at St. Thomas and he said that there is a serious debate happening right now about whether or not to remove the team from the AUS. While there is no ACAA hockey they would be playing against teams like Holland College.
He did say that if the decide to pack it up the announcement would be made around the end of the season.

Hopefully it does not come to pass.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:07 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I was debating whether to post this or not but my source is pretty solid. It looks like the future of the STU Tommies Men's hockey program may be in doubt. I have a relative who is a faculty member at St. Thomas and he said that there is a serious debate happening right now about whether or not to remove the team from the AUS. While there is no ACAA hockey they would be playing against teams like Holland College.
He did say that if the decide to pack it up the announcement would be made around the end of the season.

That would be terrible (obviously). They need to give Ryan at least two more years to try and turn things around...that way pretty much the entire team will consist of 'his' players....and then re-evaluate from there.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:34 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:

Hey Rob, I am sure your source is solid but I will say that this is exactly how rumors get blown out of proportion. I just made a phone call myself and I was told unequivocally that this is false.

This would be a top level decision that would not be kicked around faculty for the sake of talking about it. I have no doubt that STU faculty does speak about this subject but it really wouldn't be much different than what we do on here.

This sort of gossip serves to create doubt and ultimately serves to hurt the program.

I won't be back on here in April or May to reply to this again to say "I told you so" but will do it now instead to save time…."I told you so".

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

My two bits

Quote:

1. I hope this is false.

2. Rumours are just that. The people involved might be correct. But just because one camp is discussing a position on an issue does not mean that they represent more than one segment of the group.

3. If true, there might be a "silver lining" if it leads to the establishment of an ACAA hockey league. IMO, eastern Canada could really use such a league.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Island Husky

Quote:

Holland College, for the first time this year, is playing in the Island Junior B League. Previous years they played in the Junior C league.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Island Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
UPEI is definitely a team to be weary of right now. Any team that has the best goalie in the league is going to be in pretty much every game....and now that they have their offense going they are that much more dangerous. I think I would rather see St. FX and Moncton over them in the playoffs.

In that Acadia/STU game the Axemen must have had the first 28 or so shots of the 3rd period....ridiculous.
They are indeed playing very well right now. For the first time in a long time, they have adapted strongly to the daunting, as espoused by Trevor Steinburg, " 2nd half of the AUS Hockey schedule". Had they done this a little earlier; in the first half, they would very legitimately be sitting in second place. I wouldn't want to be the team facing them first in the playoffs, not that anytime is easy. St Mary's hung in for two periods Saturday night, but in the third UPEI scored two quick ones, and never looked back; They had SMU gasping for breaths at the end.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote