HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumour Thread I: Post-Lockout Madness

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 12:49 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Who is Adam Herman.
Writes for the NYR blog and was a poster on here.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:59 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
This is thinking a little far ahead as its not till June, however I wonder if Sather has any plan to try and get back into the first round in this years draft.
If there's a kid that the Rangers like that falls, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rangers give up some assets to get him. Hunter Shinkaruk anyone?

Old
01-27-2013, 02:01 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

i love subban's style and his shot would be a nice addition, but hell no. we can't afford him. like being said-- we could use another defenseman, but a cheap responsible bet, not a 5m + a year kid in his prime.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:00 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Finding a lefty is easier than than a righty. Can the Rangers add a young lefty D? More than a band-aid. Someone who can be part of the team past this season. Offer Christian Thomas. Prospect for prospect. Torts isn't afraid to play a kid or two on D.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:04 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

We missed the boat on Huskins, who would have been a better addition than Bickel. We apparently don't want Dominic Moore, who would have been a perfect fit for what we needed.

What is Glen thinking right now?

Old
01-27-2013, 03:06 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
We missed the boat on Huskins, who would have been a better addition than Bickel. We apparently don't want Dominic Moore, who would have been a perfect fit for what we needed.

Glen is waiting for that PMD to be available. I think we can see a potential deal with the Sharks involving Braun/Demers and Kreider/Hagelin.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:45 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Glen is waiting for that PMD to be available. I think we can see a potential deal with the Sharks involving Braun/Demers and Kreider/Hagelin.
That is THE LAST thing we need. We need a physical stay-at-home defender for the 3rd pairing and speed and grit in the bottom 6.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

I would say I'd be surprised by the trade Kreider talk but look where we are.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:56 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:

Guys wife just died. Maybe Moore isn't really focused on playing right now.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:12 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
Guys wife just died. Maybe Moore isn't really focused on playing right now.
The fact that we haven't kicked the tires on him at the least is what annoys me.

You might be right, but there's not even been an inkling about any team looking to sign him.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Thumpz

You have to imagine teams have sent condolences to Moore and his family, with the subtle idea that whenever he's ready to give them a call. Not to mention calling his agent directly and saying, hey we want your client, let us know when he's ready to get to the table. Just because you don't hear from Eklund that he's debating between such and such teams doesn't mean they aren't interested.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
The fact that we haven't kicked the tires on him at the least is what annoys me.

You might be right, but there's not even been an inkling about any team looking to sign him.
We have. It was reported the Rangers had interest. In fact, thats the only reason you're talking about him right now.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:47 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:

Yes there has. Katie Strang mentioned they were interested a few weeks back.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:48 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
That is THE LAST thing we need. We need a physical stay-at-home defender for the 3rd pairing and speed and grit in the bottom 6.
Ummm no? Have you seen our shot differential? How we constantly get hemmed in our own zone? A physical stay at home guy won't fix those problems.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:55 PM
Ola

Derek Stepan for Ryan O'Reilly?

I am ambivalent about this thread. Alot of stuff could be made with this team. But timing wise there are several reasons to just sit still in the boat...

Old
01-28-2013, 04:23 AM
Ola

Quote:
This team needs speed.
Or atleast smarts (you know, like I rather take a shot at Saku Koivu than Jason Arnott if we need help on the PP).

Old
01-28-2013, 04:27 AM
Ola

Quote:
I agree on the bottom 6, but have you seen how all of a sudden a new world has opened up offensively when MDZ has had some good shifts next to Marc Staal?

You need a good puck moving blueline in the game today if you want to score more than 2 goals per game. We desperately need a right handed PPQB for the PP.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:28 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Also, if we just could play a "decent" game, I much rather wait instead of making a move now.

Alot could be done with this roster that really makes sense. But five of twelve forwards are new for the season. That's 41%, and it shows. Alot of players are still up in the air in terms of end product. Last year McD was the big leader on defense, and Staal and MDZ wasn't huge contributors. Now Staal and MDZ have played some amazing hockey, while McD and Girardi has looked more like a 2nd pairing. Stepan, Hagelin, Kreider and co, all we can do is guess. When you make a move, its darn important that its the right one.

I see that Ryan O'Reilly might be available in Colorado. O'Reilly plays the game with a ton of energy and always moves his feets. He got decent offensive skills on top of that. If our 1st line center is Brad Richards and our 3rd line center is Brian Boyle -- to be perfectly honest Ryan O'Reilly seem like a much better fit for the 2nd line center spot than Derek Stepan.

At the same time,
1) I wouldn't want to have 6 new players on the roster instead of 5, we are supposed to compete this year and next year. 5 is basically too much to start with.
2) Derek Stepan has not yet landed. He is improving if ever so slowely. I would have loved to see him take a bigger step this long off-season, show up with a bit more bite in his skating and what not. But he is still very young. 3) We don't know where we have JT Miller yet. People need to remember that he is still only 19 y/o. Marc Staal was returned to juniors at that age. Everyone remember how young MDZ were his rookie season, right? JT Miller is that age now. He is what, 2-3 years younger than Kreider? I really like what I see from JT Miller. He will become a player, and could become a very solid homegrown top 2 line Ranger. If he can play at the end of the year or next year, the need for O'Reilly over Stepan becomes alot less pressing. Or JT Milller makes both expandable, and instead of moving Stepan for another 2nd line center, he could be moved for a really good PPQB. Or, hopefully, Stepan just grows into his role in NY and makes himself impossible to move with his play. Which would be the best option for sure.
3) We also gotta take care of the locker-room.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:42 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Finding a lefty is easier than than a righty. Can the Rangers add a young lefty D? More than a band-aid. Someone who can be part of the team past this season. Offer Christian Thomas. Prospect for prospect. Torts isn't afraid to play a kid or two on D.
Our blueline is not a easy puzzle, but just because MDZ has played a few good games next to Staal -- it doesn't change the fact that we desperately miss a offensive right on the PP. We shouldn't start mentioning our right handed PPQB hole in the same breath as Philly's goalie situation thats been ungoing for 29 years since Pelle Lindberg's accident, but its getting close.

We haven't had one since Zubov if you don't count Schneiders short failed stint here in NY.

I would wait until this roster settles in. Then go out and get someone like Ryan Murphy in Carolina, Vyonov in LA or Rundblad from PHX. Or someone more established. Then break up Staal-MDZ:
Staal-Murphy/Vyonov/Rundblad/X
McD-Girardi
MDZ-McIlrath

PK/late in games:
Staal-McIlrath
McD-Girardi

Old
01-28-2013, 07:18 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:

Who said we didn't? You didn't hear anything about Arnott to NYR till before they agreed to a contract.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:28 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Where's NYRBoyler87 to give his list of available LHD-men that could slot in that #6 spot next to Stralman, and earn Tortorella's trust to play 10 minutes a night?
The problem becomes more of what teams have anyone available at this point than who would fit.

I like Douglas Murray from SJ, not sure on the price.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:35 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

We do need more consistent offense from the defense. And we need an extra forward preferably one with speed.

That said, we have a puck moving defenseman on the roster who should get a look. Gilroy's skating and puck skills could help add more pressure offensively. For a slow footed team overall, pair Gilroy with someone like Staal and let Matt skate the puck. The team has issues getting through the neutral zone consistently. A puck moving defenseman, skating defenseman can help with that.

He provided a lot of the offense in Hartford while he was there. Yes he has shortcomings, no player is perfect. Take his weaknesses into account and pair him with one of the better defensive defensemen on the roster.

McDonagh. Girardi
Staal. Gilroy
Del Zotto. Stralman

Old
01-28-2013, 08:39 AM
tomcatNYR

I wouldn't be very comfortable with pairing Del Zotto and Stralman together. Yes, MDZ has been very good thus far, also in his own end, but that pairing lacks stability.

Gilroy wouldn't last with Torts, I'm afraid and he's not really good enough defensively to play top-4 minutes. The defense needs that one defenseman who has the trust of the coaching staff. I don't know who it is, but he's not with the organization at the moment.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:47 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

At some point they need to have a defenseman who can skate. McDonagh, Stralman, and Del Zotto can skate, but not like Gilroy. The guy has serious wheels.

If they aren't willing to take chances like that then the issue won't get resolved any time soon.

The reported interest in Subban and last year's interest in Yandle make sense, but those players would cost a ton of assets. We already just made one of those trades in the summer. Its not always about the big fish.

Gilroy is on the roster he should get a look. If he doesn't pan out, so be it.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:51 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
This is thinking a little far ahead as its not till June, however I wonder if Sather has any plan to try and get back into the first round in this years draft.
My gut tells me that Gaborik is traded at or before the DRAFT (thanks RGY) to re-acquire a 1st round pick in this draft coming up.

Cap will be at or close to 64 million with some very KEY RFA's to bring back.

assuming the cap is 64 million. the Rangers will have approx. 11 million to re-sign those guys and bring in other needed scoring/defence.

Can we do it without moving Gaborik? Probably. But it will be TIGHT.

Moving Gabby at the deadling with a full year under his belt can get us a very solid 1st rounder (anwhere between 10-20) a solid prospect and a roster player. Especially if he posts anothe pro-rated 40 goal season. That would make it 3 in 4 years with the Rangers that Gaborik would have scored 40 goals. That makes for a very attractive player out on the market.

I get the whole "if he's that good, we should keep him" argument. It has a ton of merit. But I subscribe to the theory that we should never lose an asset for nothing.

His walk year is also the year that Callahan, Lundqvist and Girardi also come up on UFA in addition to a slew of others not to mention that both Kreider and MDZ will be RFA's (MDZ WILL GET PAID).

Like I said, it's a gut feeling, but one that is logically thought out.

going to be a very interesting 2013 for the Rangers...for sure.

Last edited by pld459666: 01-28-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Closed Thread