Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
This. I think he'll benefit the most if he's in the NHL for the whole season.
Just like it helped Sheppard and Gilles huh?

Old
01-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Cuthalu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00xtremeninja View Post
add in a little burger king and mcdonalds and we're set, lol
Burgers don't get you a good core, they get you fat. There are completely different - and legal - things to get the muscle growing faster and better.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuthalu View Post
Burgers don't get you a good core, they get you fat. There are completely different - and legal - things to get the muscle growing faster and better.
Yep, like anabolic steroids.

Oh wait, legal.

Hmm. Well, peas have a lot of proteins in 'em and they're quite healthy. And Ärtsoppa with mustard and ham certainly isn't the worst meal one can have.

01-27-2013, 12:48 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
Sheppard & Gillies pretty much got thrown in right after they were drafted, on the bottom lines. Gillies also never even projected higher than a third line grinder.

Hmmm, Granlund has had years of pro-experience. He has also shown his higher skill level throughout the four games he has played.

These situations, aside from them all being hockey players, do not correlate.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Lapa
Global Moderator
miek yoe pls

Quote:
Completely different players. Granlund has been in Finland for the last 2 seasons after his draft playing with men and dominated the **** out of the whole league. WC 2011 he dominated.

IMO, now is the time for Granlund to be in the NHL.
Plus he has struggled only physically. Otherwise he has been fine.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:05 PM
pbunder

Quote:
Completely different players. Granlund has been in Finland for the last 2 seasons after his draft playing with men and dominated the **** out of the whole league. WC 2011 he dominated.

Agreed. I was one who thought he should be put with Koivu/Parise top. It would have probably killed their scoring a bit, but those two know how to make room and would have taken a lot of pressure of Granlund. I don't feel great about how he's been getting rag-dolled but its the only adjustment he has.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:

In addition, the reason why James Sheppard failed was because he was rotting away playing 4th line/popcorn minutes.

Granlund is still finding his game, but at least he is doing it playing 2nd line center minutes alongside real NHL players that can put up points, not grinders.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

The problem is he is struggling physicaly.

and I see no confidence in him now.

He would be better off in Houston, getting used to the Physical AHL style of play, but still having enough skill to be productive.

I just think he is going to get "shell-shocked" from being rag dolled every game in the NHL.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Kellyr

It´s been four games.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:14 PM
between

Yes, it seems that he is physically too weak, but i think he will soon learn how to avoid some body positions which makes him so vulnerable.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:24 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
The problem is he is struggling physicaly.

and I see no confidence in him now.

He would be better off in Houston, getting used to the Physical AHL style of play, but still having enough skill to be productive.

I just think he is going to get "shell-shocked" from being rag dolled every game in the NHL.
I agree strength being a problem. But its going to be a problem in the AHL or NHL. This is something he needs to work off the ice.

On the ice, I see him quite skilled with 2nd line NHL minutes. He isn't quite there just yet, but he's close.

So there are two choices in my mind: play in the AHL with 1st line minutes alongside and against AHL players and workout on the side OR play in the NHL with 2nd line minutes alongside and against NHL players and workout on the side.

My personal preference is the latter because his problem is something he needs to work on off the ice, him being in Houston or Minnesota doesn't affect that.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:33 PM
mattihp

Quote:
I am not all too familiar with these players. Had they also played (and impressed in) three seasons in a highly rated men's league before playing with the wild?

Old
01-27-2013, 02:35 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
I am not all too familiar with these players. Had they also played (and impressed in) three seasons in a highly rated men's league before playing with the wild?
not in the least.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Lapa
Global Moderator
miek yoe pls

Also, for those of you who don't know FEL, there are a lot of very physical players. It's a very physical league. So it's not like he started his hockey career in figure skating.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:42 PM
QnebO

If something is done by now, it should be to put him in the wing. He gets to play more offensive, which is he's strong side. In the last game, he gave 3 excellent passes right to the front of the net just after coming over blue line, but the recievers just didin't get it, it was about inch. He would get lot more those situations as a winger..

Last edited by QnebO: 01-27-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old
01-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Lapa
Global Moderator
miek yoe pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
If something is done by now, it should be to put him in the wing. He gets to play more offensive, which is he's strong side. In the last game, he gave 3 excellent passes right to the front of the net just after coming over blue line, but the recievers just didin't get it, it was about inches. He would get lot more those situations as a winger..
Not a bad idea. They did the same thing in Granlund's first WC and it resulted in 9 gp, 2g 7a with a dominant performance.

That being said, I'd love to see what he does with a better line first.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Gabranth
#19 #88

Quote:
Also, for those of you who don't know FEL, there are a lot of very physical players. It's a very physical league. So it's not like he started his hockey career in figure skating.
More like ladies league, anyone can do well in FEL. Grandlund is small and slow = bad combination. I doubt he'll ever get more than 20 points in the NHL.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Nsjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabranth View Post
More like ladies league, anyone can do well in FEL. Grandlund is small and slow = bad combination. I doubt he'll ever get more than 20 points in the NHL.
Can't..tell...if..joking...

Old
01-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsjohn130 View Post
Can't..tell...if..joking...
He just hasn't realized all the intangibles that Granlund has. Or Grandlund, but I don't know who that fella is.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:31 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

As far as I've seen Granlund's biggest problem isn't so much getting muscled around, it's that he stops moving his feet when he sees the contact coming or is working along the wall. All players with a shorter frame will get caved in during those scenarios but the ones that do succeed are the players that move their feet and use leverage to their advantage. It'll come for Granlund and it doesn't need to be at the AHL level either. The Wild need his skill on the ice.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
01-27-2013, 05:14 PM
Moscowitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
I agree strength being a problem. But its going to be a problem in the AHL or NHL. This is something he needs to work off the ice.

On the ice, I see him quite skilled with 2nd line NHL minutes. He isn't quite there just yet, but he's close.

So there are two choices in my mind: play in the AHL with 1st line minutes alongside and against AHL players and workout on the side OR play in the NHL with 2nd line minutes alongside and against NHL players and workout on the side.

My personal preference is the latter because his problem is something he needs to work on off the ice, him being in Houston or Minnesota doesn't affect that.
This. With a healthy dose of PP time added in.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:02 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
As far as I've seen Granlund's biggest problem isn't so much getting muscled around, it's that he stops moving his feet when he sees the contact coming or is working along the wall. All players with a shorter frame will get caved in during those scenarios but the ones that do succeed are the players that move their feet and use leverage to their advantage. It'll come for Granlund and it doesn't need to be at the AHL level either. The Wild need his skill on the ice.
I've noticed this too. He needs to keep his feet moving.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:04 PM
Mumbler*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
In addition, the reason why James Sheppard failed was because he was rotting away playing 4th line/popcorn minutes.

Granlund is still finding his game, but at least he is doing it playing 2nd line center minutes alongside real NHL players that can put up points, not grinders.
And he never made the best of them. He already knew how to play hockey. He had been doing so since 3.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:19 PM
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabranth View Post
Saved for further referring.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:48 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
I think he's gonna be good - 5 games is a very small sample, but he has already shown signs that he can be a complete center in this league. At 20 years old, almost 21, that is saying a lot.

Closed Thread