HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Race to the Bottom - Rebuild Thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2013, 03:07 PM
  #276
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky
 
Sokil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 6,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
Gardiner for Backstrom?

Washington is going nowhere with the passionless ovi, he just isnt into it like he was before. He gets by purely on his talent, but hardly puts anything into it any more IMO.
is it possible that Don Cherry was right, that he would wear himself out physically too fast - and he just has nothing left in the tank now?

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:08 PM
  #277
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Dont think we need to retool this off-season. If we are to retool need to do it before the deadline.
I'm confused by this post? Are you saying this team is fine and we don't need to retool? Really?

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:09 PM
  #278
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky
 
Sokil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 6,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I'm confused by this post? Are you saying this team is fine and we don't need to retool? Really?
he's saying retool before the deadline so we can make our championship run

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:12 PM
  #279
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Grabo is the highest paid fwd, who does RC play then in his place?

Point right in front of you, as Staal was right in beside Grabo when he scored.

He's not worth the 5.5M he is being paid as a first liner when you compare his salary around the league, thus for now he is the best we have. BUT, and this is a big BUT...

When and if we can find better, Grabo should be out of here, so this team can move fwd. Not the why trade him because he is our best present C you so often confuse it as.

So to recap so there is no misunderstanding between me and you, we hold on to him because we have no one better, but if an offer comes where we can improve on our best Center for 5.5M per, we move him. So this team can get better and move forward.

Heaven knows we have seen enough losing with this core by now.
I just don't see a reason to move a guy like Grabo, at this point. He's far from this team's problem, and has quite a few solid years in him. He may not be a guy who carries his line, but then again, why should he have to be. Who's to say he doesn't put up 70 pts with a move to the wing, and a playmaker like Kadri in the middle, who we all know can create offense for his teammates easily?

He may not be our answer as a #2 center, and I never have thought he was (long term). I believe, however, he could easily be a great winger to have on a second line, putting up 60+ points without a problem, with the right center in the middle.

I think Bozak (who has no business on the 1st line, and has been poor), and MacArthur should be first to be shuffled. Get Bozak down to the 3rd line ASAP, where he belongs, and move Mac out for pics at the deadline.

We're probably going to pick fairly high anyway, if we can add another 1st over the course of the year, we're just fine.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:12 PM
  #280
rdawg1234
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
is it possible that Don Cherry was right, that he would wear himself out physically too fast - and he just has nothing left in the tank now?
makes zero sense to me, it's not like he's in his 30's, he slowed down at like 25, he literally just isnt into it anymore.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:12 PM
  #281
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
he's saying retool before the deadline so we can make our championship run
Yeah this team needs Tim Thomas to unretire, let's get a Toews type C, some gritty Dustin Brown fwds, and a Shea Weber type D man and a Seidenburg while we are at it. I am just glad the cap is at 70M this year, lord knows we have to pay Dion 6.5, Grabo 5.5M and Lupul 5.25 as core players also. maybe Bettman makes a Leafs rule, cap doesn't apply to the buds so we can acquire all these pieces by the deadline.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:12 PM
  #282
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 71,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I'm confused by this post? Are you saying this team is fine and we don't need to retool? Really?
What are you talking about?

If we are to retool this team, we do so with pieces like Mac, Connolly and franson for better chances of getting good prospects in this upcoming depth filled draft. If you think we can get good free-agents in the off-season while missing the playoffs, good luck.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:18 PM
  #283
Ricky Bobby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Grabo is the highest paid fwd, who does RC play then in his place?

Point right in front of you, as Staal was right in beside Grabo when he scored.

He's not worth the 5.5M he is being paid as a first liner when you compare his salary around the league, thus for now he is the best we have. BUT, and this is a big BUT...

When and if we can find better, Grabo should be out of here, so this team can move fwd. Not the why trade him because he is our best present C you so often confuse it as.

So to recap so there is no misunderstanding between me and you, we hold on to him because we have no one better, but if an offer comes where we can improve on our best Center for 5.5M per, we move him. So this team can get better and move forward.

Heaven knows we have seen enough losing with this core by now.
Someone who gets it.

Toronto will get a better return for Grabo at the deadline then in the off-season.

In the off-season there will be little to no market for overpaid players because the cap is going down and their is already a number of teams that will need to shed salary. We could get stuck with Grabo or he might only be worth a very decreased trade value.

Toronto needs to line up its cards so that we can be one of the few teams to take on significant salary. Other teams have done this and gotten better why is it so inconceivable that the Leafs ever give up the best player in a deal but end up better for it.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:19 PM
  #284
TrueBlue86
Registered User
 
TrueBlue86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 3,056
vCash: 500
much like last year, this kind of thread was the only one that gave me hope

last year we got a D, let's hope we can get a C gem this year

i feel like 7-11 may be very close in the east. if we can be a little worse than that bubble, we can get a good pick

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:19 PM
  #285
david999
Registered User
 
david999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 646
vCash: 500
There is too much panic going on for 5 games played in 7 nights. They lost last night, but to be fair the Rangers are an elite team favoured to win the cup. They were not terrible, but yes they lost. Grabo is not a problem on this team, in fact he plays with a lot of heart most nights. The biggest problem the Leafs have is a lack of size up front to compete with some of the bigger teams, like the Rangers.

david999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:20 PM
  #286
Ricky Bobby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
What are you talking about?

If we are to retool this team, we do so with pieces like Mac, Connolly and franson for better chances of getting good prospects in this upcoming depth filled draft. If you think we can get good free-agents in the off-season while missing the playoffs, good luck.
Teams with poor records attract top free agents all the time.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:24 PM
  #287
rumman
Registered User
 
rumman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Trade MacA
Trade Stekel
Trade Franson

Trade Kessel
Trade Dion

Draft High in 2013

When UFA's see that we have our Nucleus in place - that we are on the rise - then they will begin to sign. Its absolutely dillusional to think Perry/Getz are coming to Toronto - even with all the money in the world thrown at them. Its not happeneing - this place is a wasteland.

It really isn't complicated folks - this aint working - it was never going to work - I've been preaching it for years - lets not wait another 7 before we collectively figure it out.
true that.

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:26 PM
  #288
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by david999 View Post
There is too much panic going on for 5 games played in 7 nights. They lost last night, but to be fair the Rangers are an elite team favoured to win the cup. They were not terrible, but yes they lost. Grabo is not a problem on this team, in fact he plays with a lot of heart most nights. The biggest problem the Leafs have is a lack of size up front to compete with some of the bigger teams, like the Rangers.
His salary is, if those valuable dollars of capspace are used up on him when we need someone that is a better fit do his job at less money, then we can allocate that 5.5-6M to someone that is closer to a #1C.

Grabo is a fine player at 4M, which is even more than Weiss money at present. But we shouldn't be handicapped by his 5.5M in search for better players.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:27 PM
  #289
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky
 
Sokil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 6,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Yeah this team needs Tim Thomas to unretire, let's get a Toews type C, some gritty Dustin Brown fwds, and a Shea Weber type D man and a Seidenburg while we are at it. I am just glad the cap is at 70M this year, lord knows we have to pay Dion 6.5, Grabo 5.5M and Lupul 5.25 as core players also. maybe Bettman makes a Leafs rule, cap doesn't apply to the buds so we can acquire all these pieces by the deadline.
We're so lucky that all those guys are available at the deadline, for free. Good time to be a Leafs fan.

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:28 PM
  #290
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 71,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by david999 View Post
There is too much panic going on for 5 games played in 7 nights. They lost last night, but to be fair the Rangers are an elite team favoured to win the cup. They were not terrible, but yes they lost. Grabo is not a problem on this team, in fact he plays with a lot of heart most nights. The biggest problem the Leafs have is a lack of size up front to compete with some of the bigger teams, like the Rangers.
Pretty much. We were simply outplayed by a team who's record was 1-4 and they didn't want to go down a drain and come back up. They know they are better than that and they clicked in all cylinders, it's what a veteran team with players who know what happens when the chips are down against a young team who's learning how to play when they have the momentum on their side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Teams with poor records attract top free agents all the time.
Tell me one with recent times, tell me if a guy like Perry, Getzlaf, Kovalchuk, Parise, Suter and so would sign with a team that's been missing the playoffs.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:29 PM
  #291
TrueBlue86
Registered User
 
TrueBlue86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 3,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
His salary is, if those valuable dollars of capspace are used up on him when we need someone that is a better fit do his job at less money, then we can allocate that 5.5-6M to someone that is closer to a #1C.

Grabo is a fine player at 4M, which is even less than Weiss money at present. But we shouldn't be handicapped by his 5.5M in search for better players.
dude, the leafs waste so much cap money on totally useless players it's ridiculous

heck we have 2 mil tied up in buying out players who are not even on the team. don't get me started on the money paid to guys like mac, komi, connolly, liles, stecks etc etc

you think grabo's 1.5 mil extra makes that much of a difference, considering he's relatively productive

if you want to trade grabo for the sake of the tank, i'm fine with it, but his salary is not a factor imo

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:32 PM
  #292
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 56,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I've noticed just today there are a few more on the board of trade Grabo, we need to seriously re-think where we are allocating our cap space to, what players will help turn this franchise around.
Why?

You want to pay Kessel 10 million a year or something?

Who is Grabovski stopping the team from signing?

No one.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:32 PM
  #293
Ricky Bobby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Pretty much. We were simply outplayed by a team who's record was 1-4 and they didn't want to go down a drain and come back up. They know they are better than that and they clicked in all cylinders, it's what a veteran team with players who know what happens when the chips are down against a young team who's learning how to play when they have the momentum on their side.



Tell me one with recent times, tell me if a guy like Perry, Getzlaf, Kovalchuk, Parise, Suter and so would sign with a team that's been missing the playoffs.
How did Minny do last year

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:33 PM
  #294
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,145
vCash: 500
Or the idea that we trade all of our guys in their mid-late twenties (AKA: their prime) and draft unproven, developing youngsters, is going to attract impact free agents (AKA: guys in their prime) to come and play here.

LOL

"YEAH! Sign me up, Dave! I noticed you just dumped half of your roster so you could start the whole thing over, and develop a contender at a steady pace... Please, let me sign the best years of my career to your rebuild project!"

People just ..... Don't get it.
Look at all those star FA's Edmonton has collected while drafting those young guns...

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:34 PM
  #295
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
dude, the leafs waste so much cap money on totally useless players it's ridiculous

heck we have 2 mil tied up in buying out players who are not even on the team. don't get me started on the money paid to guys like mac, komi, connolly, liles, stecks etc etc

you think grabo's 1.5 mil extra makes that much of a difference, considering he's relatively productive

if you want to trade grabo for the sake of the tank, i'm fine with it, but his salary is not a factor imo
Look at how the Bruins have slotted their cap hits with core players, there is a right way of doing it and a wrong way. We have a few questionable signings on our roster. The only good one at present is Kessel at 5.4.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:35 PM
  #296
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 71,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
How did Minny do last year
So predictable.

You do realize they've been in the playoffs constantly except last year's brain fart where injuries took place right?

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:35 PM
  #297
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
How did Minny do last year
Where is Suter's wife from?

Where was Parise born and raised?

Are you trying to ignore these, for the sake of making an argument, or did you seriously just not know..?

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:36 PM
  #298
Ricky Bobby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
dude, the leafs waste so much cap money on totally useless players it's ridiculous

heck we have 2 mil tied up in buying out players who are not even on the team. don't get me started on the money paid to guys like mac, komi, connolly, liles, stecks etc etc

you think grabo's 1.5 mil extra makes that much of a difference, considering he's relatively productive

if you want to trade grabo for the sake of the tank, i'm fine with it, but his salary is not a factor imo
Still doesn`t change the fact that he likely will never earn his cap hit.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:37 PM
  #299
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Why?

You want to pay Kessel 10 million a year or something?

Who is Grabovski stopping the team from signing?

No one.
You think Grabo is worth 5.5? Dion at 6.5? Komi at 4.5? Lupul at 5.25?

64M cap next year, it's going down, every $ counts, we have have Dion and Kessel playing with Kostka's or Hamilton's the next 5 years if you want to be so loose with your money.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:37 PM
  #300
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 71,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Where is Suter's wife from?

Where was Parise born and raised?

Are you trying to ignore these, for the sake of making an argument, or did you seriously just not know..?
Even then, that's just an added bonus really. Money excellent, background excellent but you are going to a contending team that' has solid pieces in play.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.