HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames win first BoA 4-3! Czechmate, Oilers.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:29 AM
YMCMBYOLO
Flames Six Show ****

vCash: 879
If Baertschi isn't playing in the top 9, PLEASE send him down to the AHL.

YMCMBYOLO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
I don't necessarily think the Flames should make a trade right now either. Guys bodies are still adjusting and its likely someone will be out with an injury over the next 2 weeks. I want Sven up because he looks like a threat out there, but maybe he should be sent down to be the guy on the Heat until we do have an injury.

I don't think this team needs another dman, hell we sat out Butler last night and there's still Babchuk when he's ready. I'd rather make a trade for a 2nd rounder when the time right. Stempniak would be my pick, he's extremely streaky and he's hot right now. As soon as he cools off I'd move him for a 2nd and then give his spot to Sven.

Can anyone tell me who that was wearing #4 for our team last night?

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Flames92

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I don't necessarily think the Flames should make a trade right now either. Guys bodies are still adjusting and its likely someone will be out with an injury over the next 2 weeks. I want Sven up because he looks like a threat out there, but maybe he should be sent down to be the guy on the Heat until we do have an injury.

I don't think this team needs another dman, hell we sat out Butler last night and there's still Babchuk when he's ready. I'd rather make a trade for a 2nd rounder when the time right. Stempniak would be my pick, he's extremely streaky and he's hot right now. As soon as he cools off I'd move him for a 2nd and then give his spot to Sven.

I dont particularly like babchuk id rather have guys like smith butler sarich playing instead

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

vCash: 550
A couple quick hits from the game.
- Our fourth line looked great, they were an energy line with a ton of skill/ability. Saying that, I don't want to see Sven on the Energy line.

- Faceoffs were great again, and I think the team is turning this trend around.

- The D looked amazing last night, except it looks like Sarich is playing in slow motion a lot of the time, would rather see Butler playing over Cory. If Bouw can keep this up, and this is what I hoped for when Hartley came in; he'll prove to be one of the top Dmen in the league.

- Stajan is clearly the least skilled forward between Cervenka and Hudler, I'd rather see Cervenka/Hudler split faceoffs (both are actual C's) and move Sven on the wing. Watching Stajan out there last night, was like watching the Washington Generals play with the Globetrotters, he seemed a few steps behind and his skill doesn't even come close to comparing with the Czechs.

- Also, last night it was clear we are missing some Grit from the lineup, it got chippy a few places in this game, something that a certain type of player can settle down by delivering some devastating hits, taking an opposing player out of the game... It was pretty evident that we were missing some sandpaper yesterday. But hell, if we keep winning, I could care less.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
I dont particularly like babchuk id rather have guys like smith butler sarich playing instead
I don't either, just pointing out that we have a logjam on D as well. I want Babs off this team, I don't want the Anton taking minutes away from guy Smith and Brodie. Adding another dman would only complicate the situation further.

Bouwmeester was amazing last night, but he looked really good the game before to. If that trend continues our top 4 of Jbo, Wideman, Gio and Brodie, is actually a very good one and I'm fine with having Butler, Smith and Sarich battle it out for our bottom pairing guys.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Beats By CoRD
Irrelevant Ferkland

vCash: 50
CGYPUKSUX is eerily quiet after this win. I wonder why?

HawnzDynastyProductions.com
Beats By CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:28 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
A couple quick hits from the game.
- Our fourth line looked great, they were an energy line with a ton of skill/ability. Saying that, I don't want to see Sven on the Energy line.

- Faceoffs were great again, and I think the team is turning this trend around.

- The D looked amazing last night, except it looks like Sarich is playing in slow motion a lot of the time, would rather see Butler playing over Cory. If Bouw can keep this up, and this is what I hoped for when Hartley came in; he'll prove to be one of the top Dmen in the league.

- Stajan is clearly the least skilled forward between Cervenka and Hudler, I'd rather see Cervenka/Hudler split faceoffs (both are actual C's) and move Sven on the wing. Watching Stajan out there last night, was like watching the Washington Generals play with the Globetrotters, he seemed a few steps behind and his skill doesn't even come close to comparing with the Czechs.

- Also, last night it was clear we are missing some Grit from the lineup, it got chippy a few places in this game, something that a certain type of player can settle down by delivering some devastating hits, taking an opposing player out of the game... It was pretty evident that we were missing some sandpaper yesterday. But hell, if we keep winning, I could care less.
Yea especially compared to Hudler Stajan's stick handling looked real bad.
Maybe try
Glencross - Tanguay - Iginla
Cervenka - Backlund - Hudler
Cammy - Stajan - Stempniak

but Stajan did play well defensively which allowed Hudler and Cerveka to play more offensive.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Northern Neighbour

Cammy, Backlund, and Stempniak showed a lot of great chemistry last night. They cycled the puck fairly well and generated offence off the rush. I would keep them together.

As Cervenka and Hudler did pretty well in the faceoff circle (albeit small samples), I would either put Baertschi up with those two or put more of a grinder on their line like Jones. Jones looked good last night - had some offensive chances, was strong on the boards, and was sound defensively.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Thumper17

If the Flames keep this pace up, i'll be very happy.

We need to drop two players. The Anton and who else though.

Thumper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:58 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper17 View Post
If the Flames keep this pace up, i'll be very happy.

We need to drop two players. The Anton and who else though.
Comeau? Or send Sven to the ahl.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:02 PM
StreakingRed
#unsustainable

Quote:
“The two best teams to beat, I think without question, are Vancouver and Edmonton. There’s no question about that. The wins feel a little bit better than a normal win and the losses feel a little bit worse,” said Flames captain Jarome Iginla, who grew up in Oil Country.

Couldn't agree more.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:05 PM
McTowMater14

Good game by the Flames, they totally deserved to win this one. Who was that new amazing defenseman that you had playing for you this game?
Anyway, us Oiler fans really need to relax on how good our team will be, this team hasn't shown anything yet. I hope the next game between us will be a little less one sided!

McTowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:27 PM
MarkGio

I got a text from my buddy who's an Oilers fan before the game saying that the Flames need to rebuild. I told him we've been rebuilding for past season and half, but he didn't understand because we have Iggy & Kipper on the roster.

I get Oilers fans are excited about the potential, but damn, that arrogance needs to be left at the door. If or when Oilers finally see success, then they can associate their methods leading up to it. Until then, they are no different from the Flames in that both have failed to meet their goals, except that the Flames has been more of a respectable competitor during which.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:30 PM
StreakingRed
#unsustainable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I get Oilers fans are excited about the potential, but damn, that arrogance needs to be left at the door. If or when Oilers finally see success, then they can associate their methods leading up to it. Until then, they are no different from the Flames in that both have failed to meet their goals...

Bang on.

If you heard the stuff I've hearing from some of my buddies who are Oilers fans, you'd think they've been going to the SCF the last 3 years. They have some talent there and likely a bright future, but fact is they haven't done ****. Yet when they come into Calgary and lose, It's supposedly because they beat themselves. Like a loss against the Flames had no business happening. Pretty arrogant fanbase for a team has been a lotto team for the last 3 years.

There's not a better hockey rivalry than the BoA, though. I love it.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:00 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I got a text from my buddy who's an Oilers fan before the game saying that the Flames need to rebuild. I told him we've been rebuilding for past season and half, but he didn't understand because we have Iggy & Kipper on the roster.

I get Oilers fans are excited about the potential, but damn, that arrogance needs to be left at the door. If or when Oilers finally see success, then they can associate their methods leading up to it. Until then, they are no different from the Flames in that both have failed to meet their goals, except that the Flames has been more of a respectable competitor during which.
Some oiler fans seem pretty down to earth ( I know a few) they love their young players and obviously excited to have skill on the team again but they know they need to play as a team.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:01 PM
The Gnome

Okay, That was one of the best games I've seen this team play since their last PO appearance. Wow, Jay Who?! Seriously everyone was great, but Bouwmeester was outstanding last night. Kipper is back. Team looked solid, and the new guys impressed.

Hartley should move Cervenka to centre if/when he gets comfortable, plug Stajan on the 4th, and move Bartschi to 3rd line LW. If not, send the kid down, he should not be playing single digit ice-time...ever.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:06 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Okay, That was one of the best games I've seen this team play since their last PO appearance. Wow, Jay Who?! Seriously everyone was great, but Bouwmeester was outstanding last night. Kipper is back. Team looked solid, and the new guys impressed.

Hartley should move Cervenka to centre if/when he gets comfortable, plug Stajan on the 4th, and move Bartschi to 3rd line LW. If not, send the kid down, he should not be playing single digit ice-time...ever.
Sven/Cervenka/Hudler would be an outlandishly skilled third line, that'd be really cool.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:08 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
There's not a better hockey rivalry than the BoA, though. I love it.
The next couple of years should be dynamite for the BoA. The Oilers have been brutal for so long, but now on the way back up. Especially if guys like Janko and Gadreau can make an impact in coming years.

We have a chance to have a decent core of young guys in the next few years. Not as strong as the Oilers young core, but still having Janko, Baertschi, Gadreau, Brodie, Backlund, Wotherspoon, and maybe even Seilloff could be awesome.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:15 PM
Thumper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Some oiler fans seem pretty down to earth ( I know a few) they love their young players and obviously excited to have skill on the team again but they know they need to play as a team.
I was at the game and surrounded by oilers fans. I've never had a better time at a game. The guys around me at least were good about the razzing and otherwise very pleasant.

Canucks fans though, never had good experiences with them.

Thumper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:33 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper17 View Post
I was at the game and surrounded by oilers fans. I've never had a better time at a game. The guys around me at least were good about the razzing and otherwise very pleasant.

Canucks fans though, never had good experiences with them.
Yea growing up in vancouver and being a semi Canuck fan I can attest to the fact they are very cocky and arrogant.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:39 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:

Not sure you can take that away from the game. I know it's early, but Kipper still looks rather uncomfortable in net. All three goals last night would usually be stopped when he is on his game. Dubnyk outperformed #34 last night by a rather large margin in my opinion.

I don't doubt he will turn it around but for our sake I hope it is sooner rather than later.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:48 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post

According to the roster, it's BOuwmeester... that can't be right.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:04 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
The next couple of years should be dynamite for the BoA. The Oilers have been brutal for so long, but now on the way back up. Especially if guys like Janko and Gadreau can make an impact in coming years.

We have a chance to have a decent core of young guys in the next few years. Not as strong as the Oilers young core, but still having Janko, Baertschi, Gadreau, Brodie, Backlund, Wotherspoon, and maybe even Seilloff could be awesome.
And the drafting should be better going forward. Sutter wouldn't have traded Reghre or Morrisson. He would've traded a 1st rounder last year at the deadline to try and pry us back into a playoff race. He wouln't have drafted high risk/reward guys like Jankowski, he would've drafted a good character guy who otherwise can be selected in the 4th round.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:20 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Not sure you can take that away from the game. I know it's early, but Kipper still looks rather uncomfortable in net. All three goals last night would usually be stopped when he is on his game. Dubnyk outperformed #34 last night by a rather large margin in my opinion.

I don't doubt he will turn it around but for our sake I hope it is sooner rather than later.
I don't think you can fault him for the 1st goal that was a snipe but I agree he hasn't looked great in 3 out of the 4 games but he has made some good saves. He usually does better seeing lots of shots last night he didn't see many other than on their pp's.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:50 PM
MuffinMerc
Business. Numbers!

vCash: 1124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
Sven/Cervenka/Hudler would be an outlandishly skilled third line, that'd be really cool.
I hope that will be a line soon. I feel really bad for Sven hanging on the 4th line playing 5 minutes a game.

Last edited by MuffinMerc: 01-27-2013 at 07:50 PM. Reason: typo
MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote