Jets interested in Subban?

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Does Subban play on the left side or is that mostly just power plays?
Wondered the same myself.

As exciting as it is to have Trouba.. unless people in TN think they are literally giving away a Chris Pronger-esque player, the risk reward says to go get Subban. IFFFF the price is right.

Offer sheeting him sounds like a wicked move.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:14 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
I'm loving the karma with all the Habs fans on the main boards last summer who were saying Kane didn't want to re-sign here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
As I said in the other thread, I wouldn't want to give up what the Habs would want to get Subban. We are talking about a part of our core for a guy who, while is immensely talented, might not fit in with the culture the team is trying to build.

Putting that aside, If the Habs are asking for Bogo, Enstrom, Buff, Trouba, Kane, the answer IMHO is absolutely not. If, however, the package includes Burmistrov, Scheifele, or Little, I would have to consider it depending on the other players/ assets involved. If they wanted Wheeler I would really be on the fence.

Chances are, though, they don't want any of those players. They would most likely want Bogosian or Kane and I say no thanks.
This is pretty much my view as well. He's not on the same level yet as those core guys, nor would I be willing to give up Trouba who I think we'll need more by the time we're a playoff team. I also wouldn't give up Wheeler because he's really our only decent RW. Guys like Little, Cormier, Postma, Redmond, even Scheifele would be far more expendable, as are our 2nd and 3rd round picks in 2013 since we have several of each. I'm not saying that's what Subban is worth, just that we really can't make a deal that makes sense. Other teams should be able and willing to offer more than the Jets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Thorburn Schefeille and a 1st for Subban? Seems like a high price but for a proven dynamic D man? I think I'd pay that.
That's insane overpayment. The compensation for an offer sheet would be less than that. Chevy is not Burke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Trouba + Cormier + 1st?

As much as I like Trouba, I would give him up if it meant getting Subban.
Again, that's insane overpayment. The compensation for an offer sheet would be less than that.

I'm not necessarily opposed to dealing Scheifele although I don't think trading a centre for a defenseman really makes sense given the Jets depth at D and lack of at C. There's no way I'd want to trade Trouba though - I'd guess anyone who watched the US games from the WJC would agree.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:21 PM
Flair Hay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
I'm not sure I'd consider our defence stacked. Bogosian+Subban, Byfuglien+Enstrom, Hainsey+Postma. That's a great defence. Eventually Trouba would enter that equation and replace Hainsey
Correct. It'd be a Cup calibre defense should the forward and goaltending corps catch up one day.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:50 PM
Flair Hay

Good call iBurmi. Anything we give up should be less than an offer sheet (1st+2nd+3rd $$) or head back to the draft and try and find our own.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Fuelled by Passion

vCash: 500
Simply put I don't want him if I have to part with any of our prospects or core players. He isn't first pair D in additional he is too dirty of a player IMO.

Jokinen+Postma+2-nd (acquired from Chicago last year) this is the most I'm willing to pay, and all this if we can sign him for 4 years 3.5 mil at the most, otherwise I don't want him

Old
01-27-2013, 03:04 PM
gibber1600

No more head cases apply please.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:08 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibber1600 View Post
No more head cases apply please.
head cases? not sure i understand that statement

Old
01-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Flair Hay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelled by Passion View Post
Simply put I don't want him if I have to part with any of our prospects or core players. He isn't first pair D in additional he is too dirty of a player IMO.

Jokinen+Postma+2-nd (acquired from Chicago last year) this is the most I'm willing to pay, and all this if we can sign him for 4 years 3.5 mil at the most, otherwise I don't want him
...I thought he pretty muh proved himself as a low end #1 dman last year. And he's still super super young in his career. You don't like his attitude and that's fine, I can sympathize with that. But on the ice the guy is about as much of a lock to be a #1 dman as anyone in the league that isn't already.

I'd have no problem giving him $5mil per on a 6-7 year deal

Old
01-27-2013, 03:10 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
...I thought he pretty muh proved himself as a low end #1 dman last year. And he's still super super young in his career. You don't like his attitude and that's fine, I can sympathize with that. But on the ice the guy is about as much of a lock to be a #1 dman as anyone in the league that isn't already.
Agreed if the price wasnt ridiculous id love to land PK Subban on the Jets

Old
01-27-2013, 03:13 PM
almostawake

Offersheet would be worthless. Montreal would just match. Every GM in the league knows that. Bergevin's been on the job for less than a year, he's not going to let a young star player walk for a pittance.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Hobble

Byfuglien-Enstrom
Bogosian-Subban
Postma-Stuart/Redmond

That is pretty stacked, considering Postma has been playing great.

However, I would not want to part with Wheeler, Kane, Scheif or Trouba.
Considering how the Jets are playing right now, I don't see them trading any key guys. The addition of Subban to our D wouldn't be worth the loss on offense/forward position even if we traded Little.

I would be absolutely shocked if they traded Scheifele. The guy is the embodiment of the attitude that Jets want to establish, and it's not like his development is going worse than expected. We will need him at center once Jokinen goes. Now, if we were pushing for the Cup, then I could see us mortgaging the future for a shot at success in the present.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:31 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
Offersheet would be worthless. Montreal would just match. Every GM in the league knows that. Bergevin's been on the job for less than a year, he's not going to let a young star player walk for a pittance.
Then why are they offering pittence?

2.2. and 2.9 is a massive underpayment

4.5 a year is fair imo

Old
01-27-2013, 03:41 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelled by Passion View Post

That is my thought as well, but I don't think MTL will go for Oli because of age which is why I think Little, Klingberg/Telegin/Cormier, or Redmond and Postma or a draft pick would make most sense. I just cant see Chevy trading the guys he drafted but I can see him parting ways with some of the drafts from ATL.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:44 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
That is my thought as well, but I don't think MTL will go for Oli because of age which is why I think Little, Klingberg/Telegin/Cormier, or Redmond and Postma or a draft pick would make most sense. I just cant see Chevy trading the guys he drafted but I can see him parting ways with some of the drafts from ATL.
if it took Little + Klingberg or Telegin to get Subban id be all for that assuming we were able to lock him up longterm

Old
01-27-2013, 03:47 PM
surixon

Given that the Canadians have Galchynek and some other center prospects I personally don't see them being interested in a package based around Scheifele or Burmistrov. Nor would I be interested in entertining a package based around them as we will need two top centers in a couple of years when Jokinin and Antropov are not capable of those roles. We get rid of one or two of them and we have very little potential with regards to top 6 centers seeing as Little looks better on the wing.

Montreal would demand one of Kane, Wheeler and Bogosian or Trouba + for him. The only one I would entertain is Trouba + seeing as we already have two excellent RH defenseman in Bogosian and Buff on the roster already and its looking like Postma or Redmond can fill the third pairing RD spot.

Having said that I would only trade for PK provided that we have a longterm contract in place with him before any trade.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:51 PM
fergiesbeak

i wouldn't give away any of our young players for him.he wants a long term contract and like montreal i wouldn't give him one either

Old
01-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Flair Hay

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post

4.5 a year is fair imo
Jason Garrison got $4.5 this off season.

I'd say PK is far superior to him. This is the Habs trying to show who holds the cards. He's not in the Doughty/Pietrangelo tier yet but he is jut as skilled as they are and he's not far behind.

His "character issues" are way overblown IMO. TSN and Cherry are half the reason there is any drama around him at all until this contract thing came up.

No one's chastising Jamie Benn as a guy who only cares about himself when he just held out toget what he was worth. Anything under $3M for PK is obviously idealogically based and not looking at why he does on the ice.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Does Subban play on the left side or is that mostly just power plays?
Just power plays. At evens, Subban has only played on the right side, since he got to Montreal anyway.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:00 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Just power plays. At evens, Subban has only played on the right side, since he got to Montreal anyway.

Thanks for the info. Seems pretty rare for RHD to play on the left side. Not as common as LHD playing the right side, for obvious reasons.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Hawker14

I would even think Bogosian's contract ($2.5m) could be used as an equivalent.

For what it's worth, I think Subban is out of his mind if he's expecting $5.5m/yr right now.

Good player but far from elite yet, in my view.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:09 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post

4.5 a year is fair imo
Because Bergevin is trying to set the tone for 2nd contracts on the Canadiens. The offer they're making is in line with recent bridge contracts for similar players. I'm not saying it's a good idea, but that's what Bergevin is trying to do.

But going from that, to not matching an offer sheet and letting Subban walk for next to nothing is a giant leap. They'll match if it comes to that, but it won't. No team is going to try that stunt during the season.

As far as trade value, things in this tread seem way off. If the Canadiens get serious about moving Subban, Ryan O'Reilly + would be on the table in a heartbeat. For the Jets to have a shot they'll have to be willing to offer something at that level or they're just not competitive.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:13 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

2013-14 season...

Buff-enstrom
Bogo-subban
Stuart-trouba

I swoon to this.

Last edited by razorsedge: 01-27-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old
01-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Gungagalunga

I'd prefer not to have a $4,000,000 turtle in our line-up.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Sweech
COYS!

I think Bergevin is also trying to give Subban a bridge contract to help with their cap situation.

If you check out their cap over at capgeek.com they're going to be in quite tight next year and buying UFA years from Subban at the wanted 5.5mil will force them into having to make some moves next year to be cap compliant. If they gave Subban that contract right now they'd be pushed right up to the ceiling. Then the cap ceiling drops next year and Pacioretty's new contract kicks in putting them way over. Not to mention all the big contracts they may want to move are all locked down with NTC's.

Montreal is going to have to make some moves next year. Having a bridge 2-3 mil contract really helps alleviate some of that pressure.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:30 PM
SCP Guy

Not willing to pay what it would take to get him in double blue :S

Closed Thread