HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

P.K. Subban Thread IX: 'Try to make this one last longer than a day' Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2013, 03:53 PM
  #576
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimehockeyfan999 View Post
thats a tough decision. i'd have to say we'd have to if it was a top pick. i would than take JVR and try and package him with something to get another top 3 and pick drouin and mackinnon.
By 'packing JVR with something to get another top 3', we'd have to be packaging him with the top pick we received from TO in the first place, if not more.

__________________



"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:06 PM
  #577
habfaninvictoria
Registered User
 
habfaninvictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
My biggest beef in it all of this is that PK is only proving his detractors right. He is selfish. I agree he should be paid what he's worth... but... he's asking for money for what he brings to the table off the ice... in other words his star power.

Well PK, I hate to break this to you, but the city of Montreal is what makes you a star. Montreal has been creating hockey personalities for a century and will continue to do so long after you leave. You personally have more financially to gain by staying in Montreal and signing endorsement than hmmm.. let's say... Columbus. Ask Rick Nash about that vacuum. If you were a rookie anywhere else than here or Toronto no one would know your name. You came here and shot your mouth off... constantly. The media in Montreal feeds on that and voila, you all of a sudden think your star power is worth extra dough.....It's not! Komisarek was a star here, a never-ending soap opera with Boston... last I checked he was rich and less than useless in Toronto.

If I'm Bergevin I want a serious team discount to sign PK to anything more than 2 years. PK clearly has off-ice issues that do not get rewarded with lucrative long-term deals. My offers:

2 years 4.5 per... prove your not a flash in the pan and that you've grown up.

5 years 25 million. That way if we have to move you it's not a killer contract that no one will touch.

habfaninvictoria is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:08 PM
  #578
bigtimehockeyfan999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
By 'packing JVR with something to get another top 3', we'd have to be packaging him with the top pick we received from TO in the first place, if not more.
something can always be worked out. I would give up plekanec and JVR for a top 3. we would also have our own 1st as well and a bunch of 2nds

bigtimehockeyfan999 is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:11 PM
  #579
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
The Habs are NOT trading Subban...don't know how many times this must be repeated

We are a LONG way away from the Habs even considering trading Subban...you can't refuse to sign Subban to a deal even starting at 3M, then at the same time, ask for a fair trade in return

there's no logic behind that...then again, this whole situation isn't logical
I agree, but how long before Subban demands one? He's an exuberant kid who definitely wants to play. If there is no budging from MB, this could get ugly.

habsfanatics is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:12 PM
  #580
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,327
vCash: 500
Not sure what else can be said on this subject. We know have enough info to know what the Habs are really offering.

Now we just have to wait until Monday to see if PK is going to be willing to be ripped off to play for us. Sounds like the situation's at a breaking point. If he does demand a trade I shudder to think of reading through all the proposal threads that weill be coming in the coming weeks. I also doubt that we'll get anything close to equivalent value in return and this will set back our quest for the cup by years.

But yeah... let's not pay the man what he's worth.

The only solace I have is that if/when this happens, there will be threads ripping the crap out of our management's incompentence. At least there will be somewhere for me to vent. Once again, no excuse for this.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:14 PM
  #581
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Not sure what else can be said on this subject. We know have enough info to know what the Habs are really offering.

Now we just have to wait until Monday to see if PK is going to be willing to be ripped off to play for us. Sounds like the situation's at a breaking point. If he does demand a trade I shudder to think of reading through all the proposal threads that weill be coming in the coming weeks. I also doubt that we'll get anything close to equivalent value in return and this will set back our quest for the cup by years.

But yeah... let's not pay the man what he's worth.

The only solace I have is that if/when this happens, there will be threads ripping the crap out of our management's incompentence. At least there will be somewhere for me to vent. Once again, no excuse for this.
You can just imagine. If Bergevin really thinks his value would be 2.5million/year, what exactly does he think his value will be in a trade. Kadri+2nd?

overlords is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:15 PM
  #582
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
My biggest beef in it all of this is that PK is only proving his detractors right. He is selfish. I agree he should be paid what he's worth... but... he's asking for money for what he brings to the table off the ice... in other words his star power.

Well PK, I hate to break this to you, but the city of Montreal is what makes you a star. Montreal has been creating hockey personalities for a century and will continue to do so long after you leave. You personally have more financially to gain by staying in Montreal and signing endorsement than hmmm.. let's say... Columbus. Ask Rick Nash about that vacuum. If you were a rookie anywhere else than here or Toronto no one would know your name. You came here and shot your mouth off... constantly. The media in Montreal feeds on that and voila, you all of a sudden think your star power is worth extra dough.....It's not! Komisarek was a star here, a never-ending soap opera with Boston... last I checked he was rich and less than useless in Toronto.

If I'm Bergevin I want a serious team discount to sign PK to anything more than 2 years. PK clearly has off-ice issues that do not get rewarded with lucrative long-term deals.
Sure, why not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
My offers:

2 years 4.5 per... prove your not a flash in the pan and that you've grown up.

5 years 25 million. That way if we have to move you it's not a killer contract that no one will touch.
I actually agree with your offers, specifically the second one. However, if Lavoie and Dregger are to be believed, MB's offers aren't anywhere near as lucrative as the ones you've described.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:15 PM
  #583
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 4,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
PK clearly has off-ice issues that do not get rewarded with lucrative long-term deals.
Name one off ice issue PK Subban has. Like a real off ice issue, not just the way you subjectively perceive him.

Dr Gonzo is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:16 PM
  #584
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,063
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
You can just imagine. If Bergevin really thinks his value would be 2.5million/year, what exactly does he think his value will be in a trade. Kadri+2nd?
Well Dudley was in the Leafs management and they loved Kadri...Subban+2nd for Kadri.

Watsatheo is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:18 PM
  #585
JustAHabFan
Registered User
 
JustAHabFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
You can just imagine. If Bergevin really thinks his value would be 2.5million/year, what exactly does he think his value will be in a trade. Kadri+2nd?
The main job of a GM is to evaluate talent and compensate that talent accordingly. If MB did offer PK 2.5M and not budge from it, he really think PK is a 2.5M defenseman. I am very scare to think about the return for PK if MB decide to trade him.

JustAHabFan is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:21 PM
  #586
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
No one is saying to give him 6 million.

No one in their right mind should be saying he's worth 2.5 million either. Except the GM of our Franchise. That is disquieting.
I am.

habsfanatics is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:23 PM
  #587
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
The main job of a GM is to evaluate talent and compensate that talent accordingly. If MB did offer PK 2.5M and not budge from it, he really think PK is a 2.5M defenseman. I am very scare to think about the return for PK if MB decide to trade him.
Not necessarily. He just thinks that's the least he can get away with paying him. Somewhere below his minimax, I would think.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:24 PM
  #588
JustAHabFan
Registered User
 
JustAHabFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Well Dudley was in the Leafs management and they loved Kadri...Subban+2nd for Kadri.
MB will do it in a heart beat.

JustAHabFan is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:25 PM
  #589
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,063
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Name one off ice issue PK Subban has. Like a real off ice issue, not just the way you subjectively perceive him.
He wants more than 2.55M/year, clearly he has some sort of money issues.

Watsatheo is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:31 PM
  #590
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
You can just imagine. If Bergevin really thinks his value would be 2.5million/year, what exactly does he think his value will be in a trade. Kadri+2nd?
If PK announces he wants a trade, that proposal will be repeated ad naseum on the Leaf boards. It's their version of Ryder+Halak & a 2nd.

Seriously though, the whole idea of proposal threads for PK... just thinking of it has made my IQ drop a few points. And I didn't have that many to spare to begin with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I am.
I'd pay him 6 mil rather than go through this ordeal. I wouldn't be happy about it but its better than the alternative. I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't take between 4.5-5.25. That's what we've heard in the news and it's been consistent from the beginning. And that's actually what he's worth so...

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:35 PM
  #591
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Its relevant if you look at the team instead of just Subban.

You take Gomez' $7 million off the books. You can give $6 of it to Subban and leave $1 million to sign a scrub. Or you can pay $3.5 to Subban and have $3.5 to bring in a physical DMan or a player who can make an impact on offense. Giroux's (only using his name as reference for what $3.5ish million can bring) cap hit is $3.75.

So it becomes do we improve the team or do we improve PK's bank account?

I am positive that Bergevin is more concerned with the team than one single player.
But that's only looking at one year, and also at the highest possible price.

I have no problem going with a 3.5M, but if that's the case, expect PK to ask for double the amount if his development follows the same pace. And in 2years, you'll be kicking yourself in the nuts saying how we could have had him for much cheaper two years ago. You'll be back with cap issues as Emelin, Diaz, PK. For the bigger question marks, you also have Eller who's cash will depend on his progression, no way of knowing yet. There's Markov as well, if healthy and keeps playing as he has, should get a similar amount as he has now. Next year, there's also DD that is playing this season for big bucks.

So, the cap hell you're fearing might actually happen in 2 years, and you want to give PK a huge raise during that time, where he'll likely ask more then than he is now.
Just a bad idea.

Kriss E is online now  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:37 PM
  #592
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimehockeyfan999 View Post
something can always be worked out. I would give up plekanec and JVR for a top 3. we would also have our own 1st as well and a bunch of 2nds
So, if I get this right, you want to give away PK Subban, Plekanec, JVR for a top 3 pick?? Are you on crack?

Kriss E is online now  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:39 PM
  #593
jwolf
Registered User
 
jwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
So, if I get this right, you want to give away PK Subban, Plekanec, JVR for a top 3 pick?? Are you on crack?
That's an insult to crack!

jwolf is online now  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:43 PM
  #594
JustAHabFan
Registered User
 
JustAHabFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
If PK announces he wants a trade, that proposal will be repeated ad naseum on the Leaf boards. It's their version of Ryder+Halak & a 2nd.

Seriously though, the whole idea of proposal threads for PK... just thinking of it has made my IQ drop a few points. And I didn't have that many to spare to begin with.

I'd pay him 6 mil rather than go through this ordeal. I wouldn't be happy about it but its better than the alternative. I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't take between 4.5-5.25. That's what we've heard in the news and it's been consistent from the beginning. And that's actually what he's worth so...
Were the 2nd in Ryder + Halak + 2nd turned out to be PK?

JustAHabFan is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:44 PM
  #595
impudent_lowlife
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Japan
Posts: 782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
My biggest beef in it all of this is that PK is only proving his detractors right. He is selfish. I agree he should be paid what he's worth... but... he's asking for money for what he brings to the table off the ice... in other words his star power.

Well PK, I hate to break this to you, but the city of Montreal is what makes you a star. Montreal has been creating hockey personalities for a century and will continue to do so long after you leave. You personally have more financially to gain by staying in Montreal and signing endorsement than hmmm.. let's say... Columbus. Ask Rick Nash about that vacuum. If you were a rookie anywhere else than here or Toronto no one would know your name. You came here and shot your mouth off... constantly. The media in Montreal feeds on that and voila, you all of a sudden think your star power is worth extra dough.....It's not! Komisarek was a star here, a never-ending soap opera with Boston... last I checked he was rich and less than useless in Toronto.

If I'm Bergevin I want a serious team discount to sign PK to anything more than 2 years. PK clearly has off-ice issues that do not get rewarded with lucrative long-term deals. My offers:

2 years 4.5 per... prove your not a flash in the pan and that you've grown up.

5 years 25 million. That way if we have to move you it's not a killer contract that no one will touch.
It looks like you like Dryden. You know that he sat out the 73(?) season because he felt that the Habs were not properly compensating him for his talents. Your diatribe is ironic, to say the least.

impudent_lowlife is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:47 PM
  #596
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
Were the 2nd in Ryder + Halak + 2nd turned out to be PK?
Actually could be yes.

Hey you know what? Maybe Kadri and a 2nd isn't all that bad... Let's make it happen!

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:50 PM
  #597
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Actually could be yes.

Hey you know what? Maybe Kadri and a 2nd isn't all that bad... Let's make it happen!
You go first sir. How shall we start?

PricePkPatch is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:50 PM
  #598
bigtimehockeyfan999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
So, if I get this right, you want to give away PK Subban, Plekanec, JVR for a top 3 pick?? Are you on crack?
You have not gotten it right. I stated that if toronto's pick was top 3 than I would certainly do the hypothetical deal of subban for jvr plus a 1st that was proposed by another poster. I than stated that I would than be willing to part with jvr and plekanec if it meant getting another top pick. The 2 players I would have in mind would be mackinnon and drouin. Plekanec, (still a great player btw) would become an overpayed 3rd liner in the not too distant future if we had mackinnon and galchenyuk as our 1-2. and yes I did indeed state that our first pick could be used to acquire a top 3 pick, not necessarily meaning it would be jvr Plekanec and our first, but if you think about it, all together, if we could subbtract from our lineup right now: PK subban tomas plekanec and our 1st for Johnathan Drouin and Nathan Mackinnon...it would have to be considered, and I think I would be willing to do it.

bigtimehockeyfan999 is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:53 PM
  #599
mrcontractor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
22 pages?!?

Come on, people! The OP Practically dared us to do better than that!!!


Ours is not to ask why
Ours is but to post and cry


COME ON!! We can finish this thread!
It's already 22 pages and quite a few threads too much since it's the same crap that keeps getting mentionned.

mrcontractor is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:53 PM
  #600
bigtimehockeyfan999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 931
vCash: 500
again..all just hypothetical...as so much of the stuff on this website is...don't take things so seriously man.

bigtimehockeyfan999 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.