HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT- Rangers @ Leafs

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2003, 08:08 PM
Mike1

vCash: 500
I hope that Nieuwendyk's injury is minor because he has been pretty good for us this year when he has played. I just hate seeing guys coming in & out of the line-up all the time.

I'm glad our team decided to capitalize on the powerplay finally. I thought the Leafs played well,this game was probably the best game they played this week.

Old
12-13-2003, 08:08 PM
Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
i think a good trade for the rangers would be nedved for cujo.
what do you think?
Pass.

Their payroll is gigantic as is, Cujo would only add to that dramatically.
Dunham, while not special is at least passable as a #1 starter.
I've no doubt Cujo would definitely assure them a playoff spot, but an all star caliber goaltender (Which Cujo is IMHO) isn't going to take them further then the 2nd round of the playoffs.

At this point their better off salary dumping some of their players for what youth they can get.
As their not likely to go far in the playoffs even if they make it a poor season will only net them a better draft pick which is always desirable.

If they can dump enough salary, and depending on who leaves via UFA after the season then they may be able to pick up a decently priced players in the off season without hurting their overall performance much.

They'd do well to add someone with the mentality of Pavel Bure- he was willing to give it his all on the ice, as well as desperately wanting to play in NY.

Given how they've underperformed for years a little heart would likely go a lot further then extra talent and sheer paroll $ in their situation.

It's noteable they could probably get Cujo for nothing if they wanted him anyways... he's been left free and clear on waivers multiple times this season.
Hell they could probably trade nothing for him and get Cujo with Detroit willing to eat some of his contract as well.
(At least in a week or so that is, with Hasek and Legace both down with injuries they'll need him for a few games)

12-13-2003, 08:12 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

rangers got a break when kasp. crosschecked ponik. in the head.
and when malakh. was holding two sticks

Old
12-13-2003, 08:14 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

[QUOTE=Rand]Pass.

Their payroll is gigantic as is, Cujo would only add to that dramatically.

Nedved makes what, 4 - 5 million a yr ?
And he's a headache the Rangers would love to dump
Dunham has never been on a winner - he looked pretty shaky on those jam shots

Old
12-13-2003, 08:31 PM
Rand

[QUOTE=p.l.f.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
Nedved makes what, 4 - 5 million a yr ?
And he's a headache the Rangers would love to dump
Dunham has never been on a winner - he looked pretty shaky on those jam shots
Nedved makes 4.75M this yr, he's an UFA after this season though.
So they have about 3M left to pay on Nedved's salary then they'll be free of him.

If they acquired Cujo they would be stuck with over 20M owed to him, as well as being stuck with an albatross of a contract that would be all but impossible to deal and Cujo will clearly be nearing the end of his career by the time his contract is up.

That "headache" will be gone after the season, Cujo would cost them a good 20M and be a LOT more expensive headache a few years from now.

Dunham may not be a star but he's passable at least. He's even been very gopod on occasion such as last year for the Rangers.
What would a star netminder do for them though?
Push them into the playoffs or the second round at best?
That would merely prolong the mediocrity of a team that should be looking to dump huge contracts for youth and draft choices.

Old
12-13-2003, 08:36 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand

If they acquired Cujo they would be stuck with over 20M owed to him, as well as being stuck with an albatross of a contract that would be all but impossible to deal and Cujo will clearly be nearing the end of his career by the time his contract is up.
Im not sure how many yrs cujo's deal is, it might be 2 and option.
but lots of salary goes with lindros, malakhov, mironov, messier etc if they wanted after the season.
and you have a team aiming to get jagr so i kind of doubt money plays a factor - the wings have said they'd pay part of cujo's salary anyway.

Old
12-13-2003, 11:28 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

In light of tonights win...Leafs would have set that 11 game wins record had they not lost in OT..

Now they got 2 in a row and just 8 away on the new streak..

Leafs are 1 point out of first overall in the NHL..

Old
12-14-2003, 07:48 AM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger

Leafs are 1 point out of first overall in the NHL..
A tad deceiving because opponents like Philly, NJ, St. Louis, and Colorado could end up behind ahead or tied with the Leafs, once they play (and win) their games in hand.

St. Louis is doing REALLY well. 39 pts in 27 games.

Old
12-14-2003, 08:20 AM
Verbal Kint*

Nieuwendyk's supposed to be fine

Bring on the Lightning

Old
12-14-2003, 08:32 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

seems odd sather would single out erica lindros for her crud play saturday.
she scored the goal, and was one of the few i noticed around the net

Old
12-14-2003, 10:17 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite
A tad deceiving because opponents like Philly, NJ, St. Louis, and Colorado could end up behind ahead or tied with the Leafs, once they play (and win) their games in hand.

St. Louis is doing REALLY well. 39 pts in 27 games.
Isn't that a bit of a blatantly obvious post there... St Louis is playing well ..no one said otherwise...but if you pick a Newspaper AS OF TODAY.. Leafs are 1 point out of first overall in the NHL... THAT'S ALL..

The point being that during that West Coast trip that Leaf Fans wanted to Blow up the team and fire the Coach now a month later Leafs are challenging for top spot in the NHL and have opened a 10 point lead on Ottawa.. and before you post the obvious Sens have games in hand again.. Let me say I KNOW... but you can not count a win against almost any team this year ...and actual points won is better that possible ones if the other team wins...

Didn't realize your Handle BLUEandWHITE was referring to St. Louis Blues.. You should be more concerned what happens in the East than the West which has little bearing on the Leafs until the Stanley Cup Finals...

Old
12-14-2003, 04:59 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Isn't that a bit of a blatantly obvious post there... St Louis is playing well ..no one said otherwise...but if you pick a Newspaper AS OF TODAY.. Leafs are 1 point out of first overall in the NHL... THAT'S ALL..

The point being that during that West Coast trip that Leaf Fans wanted to Blow up the team and fire the Coach now a month later Leafs are challenging for top spot in the NHL and have opened a 10 point lead on Ottawa.. and before you post the obvious Sens have games in hand again.. Let me say I KNOW... but you can not count a win against almost any team this year ...and actual points won is better that possible ones if the other team wins...

Didn't realize your Handle BLUEandWHITE was referring to St. Louis Blues.. You should be more concerned what happens in the East than the West which has little bearing on the Leafs until the Stanley Cup Finals...
WOW. I'm sorry and I said what exactly to piss you off ?

The part of your post that I have put in italics/increased font with, I agree with completely. Notice that in my original post - I said the other teams "COULD" end up ahead or tied with the Leafs.

Once again, what exactly gives you the right to question my allegiance to the Leafs ?
I'm not sure what the relevance of the whole "blow up the team - fire the coach" tangent is, but I have never EVER said anything to that effect, EVER. Because I mention another team that is playing well - you can tell me what I am concerned with ?

Last edited by BlueAndWhite: 12-14-2003 at 05:14 PM.
Old
12-14-2003, 07:38 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite
WOW. I'm sorry and I said what exactly to piss you off ?

The part of your post that I have put in italics/increased font with, I agree with completely. Notice that in my original post - I said the other teams "COULD" end up ahead or tied with the Leafs.

Once again, what exactly gives you the right to question my allegiance to the Leafs ?
I'm not sure what the relevance of the whole "blow up the team - fire the coach" tangent is, but I have never EVER said anything to that effect, EVER. Because I mention another team that is playing well - you can tell me what I am concerned with ?
Why did you fell inclined to respond to my post about the remarkable Leaf turnaround situation that saw them in the span of a month go from being torn apart by media, fans and poster (NOT YOU NECESSARILY, and I never said that...) Point being how fast things can change in the NHL ....and you felt inclined to add irrelevant info regarding the Blues...

If you posted that you thought that Mats was a good Captain and I responded by saying the Weather in China this time of year is fairly inconstant...

Get the point yet ....IRRELEVANT...and I tried to point that out but apparently that was not understood either by your new one that defends your allegiance...

I will ask again in plain English what do the Blues have to do with the Leafs other than they happen to be the team that ended the winning streak??...

Did you also go to the Blues board and respond to a post there that despite the Blues missing 2 of their top 3 dmen they are playing really well..with your insightful Leafs are 1 point out of first now...

If you didn't post that there ..Why post Blues team results Here?? or IF you can't control yourself, why not just start your own IRRELEVANT thread about your beloved Blues and see how many people reply on a Leafs board..

Like I said it does not matter how the Western teams are doing as Leafs play them seldom and since the goal is to win the cup ....IT IS TOTALLY IRRELEVANT how many points the Blues, Wings , Avs or another WESTERN team has ...unless the Stanley Cup Finals are about to begin and the Leafs happen to make it , then it will determine HOME ICE.. Other than that ...Who gives a crap how they are doing??

I'll wait for your next "THEY ARE NOT MY BELOVED BLUES" post in regards to this post..

Old
12-14-2003, 08:31 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Why did you fell inclined to respond to my post about the remarkable Leaf turnaround situation that saw them in the span of a month go from being torn apart by media, fans and poster (NOT YOU NECESSARILY, and I never said that...) Point being how fast things can change in the NHL ....and you felt inclined to add irrelevant info regarding the Blues...

If you posted that you thought that Mats was a good Captain and I responded by saying the Weather in China this time of year is fairly inconstant...

Get the point yet ....IRRELEVANT...and I tried to point that out but apparently that was not understood either by your new one that defends your allegiance...

I will ask again in plain English what do the Blues have to do with the Leafs other than they happen to be the team that ended the winning streak??...
First off, if I in any way offended you in any other thread (and I doubt that HIGHLY) , then I apologize since it was not my intention.

Second; you posted that the Leafs "are one point out of first place overall". I responded to that comment and THAT comment alone. My comment was that it was a "tad deceiving". Guess what buddy ? It is. I mentioned teams like Colorado, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Tampa because STATISTICALLY they have as much claim, if NOT more to title of first place overall.

It IS relevant because they are chasing first place overall AS WELL. I mentioned the Blues because (wait for it) - statistically they "could" have 47 points "should" they win the games they have in hand over the rest of Colorado,Toronto, etc.

That is what the Blues have to do with the Leafs and more specifically FIRST PLACE OVERALL - which was the TOPIC I was responding to. Nowhere in my entire post did I mention anything about them ending the streak or anything negative about the Leaf's ways, etc.

I DARE you to find a post where I say anything that would IMPLY (and even that is a HUGE stretch for a person to make) that something I said in a previous post would mean that THIS post could somehow carry negative conotations because I mentioned the Blues playing good hockey.

Quote:
If you didn't post that there ..Why post Blues team results Here?? or IF you can't control yourself, why not just start your own IRRELEVANT thread about your beloved Blues and see how many people reply on a Leafs board..

Like I said it does not matter how the Western teams are doing as Leafs play them seldom and since the goal is to win the cup ....IT IS TOTALLY IRRELEVANT how many points the Blues, Wings , Avs or another WESTERN team has ...unless the Stanley Cup Finals are about to begin and the Leafs happen to make it , then it will determine HOME ICE.. Other than that ...Who gives a crap how they are doing??

I'll wait for your next "THEY ARE NOT MY BELOVED BLUES" post in regards to this post..
Alright, so I guess you'll be quick to persecute the next poster that mentions anything positive about another team or another player. Hell, I see TONS of trade proposals talking favourably about other players (that are not Leafs); let's call those poster's loyalty into question.

Your post was about first place overall. The St. Louis Blues are playing really good hockey and therefore have the best statistical chance of being #1 in the NHL. That is all. It is RELEVANT.

I can't believe you would take one valid statement I make and somehow make it so, that I'm a fan of the St. Louis Blues.

This is absurd...

Closed Thread