HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Garth Must Go/Thank You Mr. Wang

Old
01-27-2013, 03:54 PM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazycop View Post
The problems with this team are:

1. Crappy building, therefore no significant free agents want to come here.

2. An owner who is considered cheap and unwilling to invest in a quality team, therefore no significant free agents want to come here.

One of these problems will be remedied when we move to Brooklyn, the other, who knows? I have a SERIOUS problem with the job our owner has done with this team. The problem isn't Snow, who's done well with the resources he's been handed, it's the owner.
And you erased reason number one. If the team was seen as always wanting to win and a place for success, the Coliseum would not have been a factor. The Isles are stained by Milstein, the circus clowns before him and by the worst of all, Wang, who has embarrassed the brand.

Take a look at our coaches. (and the ones who refused to work on LI)

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
And you erased reason number one. If the team was seen as always wanting to win and a place for success, the Coliseum would not have been a factor. The Isles are stained by Milstein, the circus clowns before him and by the worst of all, Wang, who has embarrassed the brand.

Grand slam, OTM.

Degeneration Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:16 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Alot of teams have experienced long rebuilds but to blame Snow for the teams failure is laughable. How are the Oilers, Panthers, Thrasers/Jets, and Leafs any different then the NYI? The NYI have been at a disadvantage for a longtime in attracting free agents and resigning players. The team wasnt able to spend money. Now with a commitment to a new arena and with an equal playing field I expect success. Many teams make the playoffs but only one team wins the cup. Is Vancouver a success?
How about the Flyers?
I rather be bad and have a chance for a true rebuild like the Islanders, Pens, and Hawks then reload every year like the Canucks and lose. At least give Garth Snow a chance once Strome and Nino are on the team and the Islanders are in Brooklyn.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:43 PM
Scott Scissons
No.1 Bust

Quote:

Don't forget John Spano

Does it bother anyone else the only owner to show any real passion or dedication was a criminal.

Scott Scissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:57 PM
islesfan3991

vCash: 740
Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
Oh look, its this thread again.

islesfan3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:02 PM
Jester9881

I really hate some of our fans. They ***** when we rush prospects... then they ***** that our prospects are "busts" when they're kept out of the NHL to develop properly.

They ***** that no one wants to come here, then they ***** that management doesn't bring people in
They ***** that PaP is on the top line, then they ***** when he isn't resigned
They ***** that the Coliseum is a dump, then they ***** that Brooklyn is too far

Do us all a favor and get lost.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:14 PM
startainfection

Quote:

ted nolan peter laviolette and dan bylsma all worked here and tortorella wanted to work here but management didnt like his style of play and philosophy for a coach to choose for going into a rebuild

doesnt seem that bad if you look at it

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:19 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
So he tried to make the team better and that is good enough? I can certainly blame him for not icing an NHL quality team the past 6 seasons. Trying is good enough for intramurals and children not professional teams. Professional teams win.

Again having a solid prospect pool when finishing last is to be expected and should not be congratulated.
if streit and okposo weren't injured the preseason that they brought in wiz the isles shouldve made the playoffs

if vis didnt ***** and moan and he showed up for camp the isles would be a threat this season and i expect them to be on fire after he shows up

Old
01-27-2013, 05:36 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester9881 View Post
i really hate some of our fans. They ***** when we rush prospects... Then they ***** that our prospects are "busts" when they're kept out of the nhl to develop properly.

They ***** that no one wants to come here, then they ***** that management doesn't bring people in
they ***** that pap is on the top line, then they ***** when he isn't resigned
they ***** that the coliseum is a dump, then they ***** that brooklyn is too far

do us all a favor and get lost.
exactly!!!!!!
Just think how smart Snow would look if he was handed Crosby after drafting Tavares? This is basically what happened in Pittsburgh after they drafted Malkin. Oh and guess what. They drafted 2nd overall the year after they were handed Crosby.

Last edited by PROMputt: 01-27-2013 at 05:46 PM.
PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
if streit and okposo weren't injured the preseason that they brought in wiz the isles shouldve made the playoffs

if vis didnt ***** and moan and he showed up for camp the isles would be a threat this season and i expect them to be on fire after he shows up
Streit was healthy the entire next season and Okposo played at least half of the games that next season. If that was a "playoff team" with Wiz you don't trade Wiz for peanuts 30 games into the season, you would try to keep him for the following season when Streit and Okposo returned.

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:51 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
I really hate some of our fans. They ***** when we rush prospects... then they ***** that our prospects are "busts" when they're kept out of the NHL to develop properly.

They ***** that the Coliseum is a dump, then they ***** that Brooklyn is too far

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Puckzilla13

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan3991 View Post

Puckzilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:15 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Streit was healthy the entire next season and Okposo played at least half of the games that next season. If that was a "playoff team" with Wiz you don't trade Wiz for peanuts 30 games into the season, you would try to keep him for the following season when Streit and Okposo returned.
okposo was joining a team mid season, and wasn't in top shape, the season after the isles did not have a number 4dman again,

the isles defense that year wouldve been very deep if streit was healthy

that season the isles d wouldve looked like

streit - hamonic
wiz - macdonald
eaton - jurcina
mottau

jurcina was great that season and eaton was capable of being a 3rd pairing dman on a competitive team a season agor or 2 that is definitely a playoff caliber defense

Old
01-27-2013, 06:18 PM
It Was 4 to 1*

the only first round picks that hes made that i disagreed with are dehaan over kulikov and nino over fowler

It Was 4 to 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:18 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan3991 View Post

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:32 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
In Garth Snow's seven years here the Islanders have shown hardly any signs of improvement. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here because all the fans that I talk to feel the same way and want Garth out and you people defend him like he's done a good job
That's because some of us are smart enough to realize that a business is run by an owner first and foremost. The GM makes decisions he is allowed to make. It's really quite simple. With as difficult as Wang is making it to put a winning team together Snow has found some major pieces to the puzzle that people like you just completely ignore.

In the end, if you look at what Snow HAS control of he has done well. All he has control of is: A. Drafting B. Hiring Staff C. Waiver Pick Ups D. Trades

Drafting has been an B+. Staff hiring a C. Waiver pick ups an A-. Trades a B-. Those are not bad grades in my book and certainly not failing.

The problem is free agents have always been an F but the ONLY thing Snow has a choice in that matter is to tell Wang which ones he thinks are good. Nobody gives credit to Snow for drafting Tavares, but would you give him credit for going to Wang and saying, "Hey, Parise would be a good guy to go after this season." Well, guess what, I GUARANTEE he told Wang that. Free agents many times are a no brainer for the big guys, but Wang has the 1st decision on that and the free agent has the final say. So both of those are out of his hands. It's as simple as that and I don't know any other way to make the obvious more evident to you.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:58 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Thank You Mr. Wang

Before I begin, let me just say that I am not happy with many of the decisions made by the organization over the past twelve years. However, I think we all need to remind ourselves that if not for Wang, this team most certainly would have been sold to an owner who would have immediately moved the team far, far away.

Many of the early, terrible decisions were made by Mike Milbury, a man in which Wang placed much trust. Yes, Wang follows the beat of his own drum; yes, he signed Yashin and DP to ridiculous contracts. But when there was still a glimmer of hope on the horizon regarding getting a deal done for a new Coliseum, let the record show that Wang was indeed willing to spend money.

Did he have an ulterior motive, that being the Lighthouse project would have brought him lots of income? Maybe, but so what? He WAS SPENDING MONEY on the team. He is a business man, and the symbiotic relationship between the Lighthouse project and the NY Islanders would have meant that the Islanders would stay in Nassau for years to come. And, there was no reason to believe that Wang would not have spent a significant amount of money on players.

But losing millions of dollars per year while getting continually hosed by TOH/Nassau County is reason enough to reduce the payroll to the salary cap minimum. I do not blame him in the least. He tried private financing, he tried public financing. He exhausted all reasonable avenues.

I think that Wang's heart is in the right place. Does he sell after moving to Brooklyn? We'll see. But my feeling is that he will begin spending for A-level free agents either this summer or the summer after. His goal will be to field a competitive team that makes the playoffs and does some damage BEFORE arriving in Brooklyn.

That said, you should all be grateful that there is a NY Islanders to root for, and not the Seattle Fliers, Vegas Gamblers, or Quebec Nordiques. I think it is time to stop ragging on Wang, and time to say Thank You.

Last edited by beach: 01-27-2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: .
beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:10 PM
Poliz24

Ok so if snow goes who are the Islanders going to hire to replace snow? Im pretty sure this GM job is the least attractive job in the NHL. The re-hire would be an inexperienced candidate, because no one with actual GM experience would go near the job with a 10 foot stick.

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:20 PM
bigtim1988
veteran user.

even though our team hasn't seen any success since hes been GM, he is not the reason why this team has been lousy. this is a small market team, and im glad its ran like a small market team, because if we try to run it like a large market team, ie fire GM's/coaches after a lousy season for a scapegoat/ overpay for free agent talent, it would hurt us in the long term.

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:40 PM
bigtim1988
veteran user.

wanger gets a little too much unfair hate, but lets not be so dramatic. this team does not leave long island--whether he buys them or not--so i dont buy the "if he didnt buy this team it gets moved off the island" stuff

i will give him credit where credits due, he invented "ice girls" which every team copied, long contracts,and a few other things i cant think of off the top of my head. the guy is a billionaire, and as far as im concerned, you have to be pretty smart and intuitive to reach billionaire status. his loses are prob exaggerated , but if any of you lost your own money every year, youd be a tightwad also.

is he an unconventional owner? yes, but 10 yrs from now, he will look like a genius for making garth GM and we will be praising him.

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:46 PM
beach
Things are looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim1988 View Post
wanger gets a little too much unfair hate, but lets not be so dramatic. this team does not leave long island--whether he buys them or not--so i dont buy the "if he didnt buy this team it gets moved off the island" stuff
If Wang did not buy the Islanders in 2000, the team most certainly would have been bought and moved out of NY.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:47 PM
boredmale

I give Credit to Wang for the pre lockout years for investing in the team to make us competative, post lockout years though he has been terrible penny pinching making us one of the lowest(if not the lowest) paid roster in the league

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:49 PM
beach
Things are looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I give Credit to Wang for the pre lockout years for investing in the team to make us competative, post lockout years though he has been terrible penny pinching making us one of the lowest(if not the lowest) paid roster in the league
And to what do you attribute the change in spending?

Old
01-27-2013, 08:50 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
And to what do you attribute the change in spending?
Actually there was no change, it seems like 40M was his limit and that is now where the cap min is. All that being said I think he sort of gave up on the real estate deal soon after the lockout and didn't decide to spend as much but since there was a cap min he was forced to spend to that

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Bexlyspeed

charles wang is a hero

nobody is going to be praising him for hiring Snow. it was and is a bad move.
an experienced GM would have us in a better position after 6 years. snow was hired because snow won't offer any resistance to the financial restraints wang has placed on the team. thats it plain and simple.

yeah wang was a godsend when he bought the team and i won't blame him for pinching pennies after losing so much money for so many years, but he still doesn't know hockey and hasn't learned a thing about it. full marks to him for trying to keep the team in nassau and even more praise for the brooklyn move, but if brooklyn gives us some cash flow and the ability to attract real players, they he needs to ax snow and hand the reigns to a hockey guy and then butt out and let us have a chance to be great again

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote