HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

General Predators Talk Part III

View Poll Results: Will we see any games for the 12-13 season?
Yes 12 32.43%
Nope 8 21.62%
Partial season 17 45.95%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmanu View Post
We should really spend money on offense in the off-season, there are a lot of FA's available. Here's what I dream of happening:
This years UFA crop does look absolutely incredible, but I doubt more than 3 or 4 of the current top 15 forwards hit the market. If we end up with Horton OR Perry, I would be thrilled.

In case you haven't gotten a chance, check out this year's free agent group. Sorted by cash made last year, so a few overpaid guys are at the top, but keep looking.

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/

F: Semin, Iginla, Elias, Perry, Getzlaf, Ribiero, Weiss, Horton, McDonald, Morrow, Clowe, PMB, Simon Gagne, Ryder, Penner, MacArthur

D: Timonen, Streit, Scuderi Regehr, Whitney, Gonchar, Hainsey, Zidlicky, Leopold, Lydman, White, Smid, Ference

G: Howard, Backstrom, M. Smith, Thomas, Nabokov, Theodore,

Old
01-26-2013, 10:28 AM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
This years UFA crop does look absolutely incredible, but I doubt more than 3 or 4 of the current top 15 forwards hit the market. If we end up with Horton OR Perry, I would be thrilled.

In case you haven't gotten a chance, check out this year's free agent group. Sorted by cash made last year, so a few overpaid guys are at the top, but keep looking.

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/

F: Semin, Iginla, Elias, Perry, Getzlaf, Ribiero, Weiss, Horton, McDonald, Morrow, Clowe, PMB, Simon Gagne, Ryder, Penner, MacArthur

D: Timonen, Streit, Scuderi Regehr, Whitney, Gonchar, Hainsey, Zidlicky, Leopold, Lydman, White, Smid, Ference

G: Howard, Backstrom, M. Smith, Thomas, Nabokov, Theodore,
We really need to be targeting one or two of those top forwards. I'm not interested in the defensive guys.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
We really need to be targeting one or two of those top forwards. I'm not interested in the defensive guys.
At this point, I agree on not targeting defense, but if we trade Ellis/Blum for forward help or Hannan/Gill retires, we may need to look at someone. If Kimmo wanted to come back at a reasonable price, I'd welcome him.

I hope we can land one of those top forwards too, but if I'm Getzlaf/Iginla/Perry/Horton/Clowe/whoever, I don't know why I'd come here. The low taxes are nice, and playing time wouldn't be a problem, but we don't have good line-mates to offer and Trotz is hardly an offensively friendly coach. While we've gotten better, we're still a small market with little national attention. It would take the right kind of player to want to come here: a two-way guy who doesn't like media attention and cares more about playing time than who they're playing with.

If he leaves Florida, I think Stephan Weiss is a great option.

Getzlaf/Perry are fun to think about, but if last off-season taught us anything, it's that we can't just expect free agents to come here. It's an added bonus if they do, not a guarantee.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:42 AM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
At this point, I agree on not targeting defense, but if we trade Ellis/Blum for forward help or Hannan/Gill retires, we may need to look at someone. If Kimmo wanted to come back at a reasonable price, I'd welcome him.

I hope we can land one of those top forwards too, but if I'm Getzlaf/Iginla/Perry/Horton/Clowe/whoever, I don't know why I'd come here. The low taxes are nice, and playing time wouldn't be a problem, but we don't have good line-mates to offer and Trotz is hardly an offensively friendly coach. While we've gotten better, we're still a small market with little national attention. It would take the right kind of player to want to come here: a two-way guy who doesn't like media attention and cares more about playing time than who they're playing with.

If he leaves Florida, I think Stephan Weiss is a great option.

Getzlaf/Perry are fun to think about, but if last off-season taught us anything, it's that we can't just expect free agents to come here. It's an added bonus if they do, not a guarantee.
Money talks. Also the Preds have an elite Goalie in Rinne and an elite D-man in Weber, now we just need an elite forward to complete the trio. I think Perry would be a nice guy to throw a tonne of money at and see what happens. I think as you said someone like Weiss is a more realistic target, much like Horton is. Corey Perry and Jarome Iginla are the two guys who I would target from the start. My secondary targets from the list would probably be Nathan Horton, Alexander Semin, Stephen Weiss.

Poile needs to understand that he has to improve the offense if this franchise is going to get anywhere.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:43 AM
INDhockeyfan

Quote:
Targeting them and getting them to actually sign her are two different things. Nashville will always be a small market team and unless those players have got some connection to Nashville or our players the odds of getting them aren't very high. Most of the those players will be resigned by their current team. Because of the lower cap though some teams may have to let go some of their other players in order to sign them and that is the area the preds needs to take advantage of. The odds of getting a big name free agent are low but making some trades in the offseason to get some good players because of cap restrictions could happen.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Random Fact of the Day: This team is 0-1-2 with Rinne in net and 1-0-0 with Mason

Old
01-27-2013, 09:04 AM
Privy

Hörnqvist out indefinitely.

Looks like it's time to sign Winchester or call up a kid.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:21 AM
token grinder

I would take Clowe, who Trotz has a man crush on and a decent center.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:28 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Suter has been on the ice for 8 of MN's 10GA.

And currently a -4.

How's farm life in Minnesota treating you there Ryan?

Old
01-27-2013, 03:14 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Suter has been on the ice for 8 of MN's 10GA.

And currently a -4.

How's farm life in Minnesota treating you there Ryan?
I agree it's a rocky start, but a lot of that is by virtue of the icetime. When you play that much, it's bound to happen.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:47 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

...and it is not like his former team is lighting up the sky without him. Not that I think his presence would have altered the Preds record in a significant way. I guess I am saying this is a small sample size. Even if the stats and current trends are concerning.

Sadly this team often starts slow and this is not a good year for it. Really need to right the ship quickly. Panic is a strong word but I bet there is lots of concern by Poile, Trotz and Co.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Predatorbill

vCash: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Privy View Post
Hörnqvist out indefinitely.

Looks like it's time to sign Winchester or call up a kid.
Winchester is a big body with no scoring ability. If that's our solution we are doomed.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Privy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatorbill View Post
Winchester is a big body with no scoring ability. If that's our solution we are doomed.
Pretty much. The history of the Predators points to a kid being called up, a guy like Winchester coming in to push another forward up in the lineup, or someone like Sýkora (boom or bust) coming in.

Poile will be Poile. There's not a lot of options but he'll do what he can. Hopefully Hörnqvist isn't too banged up because his offense is hard to replace. I still think Winchester would look good on the Pred's 4th line though.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
I agree it's a rocky start, but a lot of that is by virtue of the icetime. When you play that much, it's bound to happen.
He was a plus-15 and plus-20 the last two seasons here while playing basically the same, so I don't know what the difference is.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Random Stats:

Wade Redden would be tied for the team lead in goals for the Preds.

Despite losing 4 of 5 games, we only have one loss in regulation/OT. In playoff style OT, it is possible we could be 4-1 right now.

Mason has more wins in one game than Rinne does in four.

Weber is 2nd only to Hornqvist for shots (12), but has yet to score.

Best +/-? Brandon Yip at a +3, with 2nd place being a huge group at +1.

Worst +/-? Colin Wilson, shockingly, at a -4. Next worst is -2.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:39 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Remember during the summer management and ownership said we'd be "close to a cap team next year"?

We're currently sitting at 24th in spending. Even if we cheat and include Weber's actual salary in our cap hit, we still don't crack the top 15.

I'm not pointing fingers or blaming here, because we tried to spend money on Suter and there hasn't been anyone else worth spending money on. But it still irks me how they repeatedly used absolutes like that. Don't say it if it's not true.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:02 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Remember during the summer management and ownership said we'd be "close to a cap team next year"?

We're currently sitting at 24th in spending. Even if we cheat and include Weber's actual salary in our cap hit, we still don't crack the top 15.

I'm not pointing fingers or blaming here, because we tried to spend money on Suter and there hasn't been anyone else worth spending money on. But it still irks me how they repeatedly used absolutes like that. Don't say it if it's not true.
Was this accounting for a lockout I wonder though? The lockout is messing with things. However, the trade deadline should be in a frenzy this time or absolutely dead with everyone thinking they are still in it. I'm giving this season a pass or freebie on everyone because it's just not as genuine without a full season, imo.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:08 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Was this accounting for a lockout I wonder though? The lockout is messing with things. However, the trade deadline should be in a frenzy this time or absolutely dead with everyone thinking they are still in it. I'm giving this season a pass or freebie on everyone because it's just not as genuine without a full season, imo.
Again though, don't say it if it's not true. Everyone knew a lockout was likely, especially the owners.

This isn't a complaint, just an observation.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:22 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:

If Suter signed with us, we'd be a lot closer. I think what they meant was "We can be a cap team if the right opportunities to spend come along".

But yeah, they are kinda breaking that promise

Old
01-28-2013, 08:17 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Quote:

In fairness, i believe they were saying that when they thought they would sign suter and weber and had a shot at parise,... when that fell through, and with the new CBA looming, it didnt make sense to throw ridiculous money at anyone. Its also quite possible that having to pay Webers insane signing bonus kept us from delivering on that promise this year as well...

Old
01-28-2013, 09:22 AM
WartracePred

Quote:

Ownership was willing, elite players choose to play elsewhere. Hell, even Weber wanted to play elsewhere. Ownership isn't going to spend to the cap on the wrong players. They could've signed Radulov to get closer to the cap, but he's not the right guy. Parise or Nash would've been. Suter would've been. Elite players, for the most part, haven't shown a willingness to play in Nashville.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:44 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I've heard a couple of interviews with Poile in which he more or less implied that having to give Shea Weber 25 million dollars in a little over a calendar year has changed the budget around. I also know that Suter's deal was, up until the last minute, structured at a higher caphit, but not front loaded like the MN deal. It was more or less 8M per year for the life of the contract.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:20 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Having to pay Weber that signing bonus through the lockout had to hurt the budget some.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Frankly, this year's UFA class was pretty pathetic. Next year's is substantially better and we should be able to make better moves.

While we are not made of money, I hope we can manage to buy Guastad out next year and use his money elsewhere. He is just making too much for what he brings.

I would be interested in bringing Kimmo back here next year for a price cut. Would be nice to see him retire as a Pred. I think Clowe, Horton, and others would be nice additions. Not sure they would be willing to play here, but we shall see.

More than anything else, I don't want Poile making any large trades this year, especially if we are on the bubble come trade deadline day. I think we should just let this year play out and see what we have in these young forwards and D men. If we don't make the playoffs, no big worries as this draft class is deep.

Going forward, I think you have to ask yourself can Smith, Hals, and Borque all be potential top six forwards that can consistently produce. Can Wilson become a first line winger? If the answer is no, I think you may see Wilson moved at draft time. I believe that these guys CAN do it. Not sure if they can do it here but we shall see. Same for Blum. There is obviously some disconnect between him and the organization. If he can't put it together here or be given a chance to, maybe it is time to move him. I hope he has a bounce back year, but we are a tenth of the way into the season and he hasn't graced the ice with his presence yet.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:52 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
Frankly, this year's UFA class was pretty pathetic. Next year's is substantially better and we should be able to make better moves.

While we are not made of money, I hope we can manage to buy Guastad out next year and use his money elsewhere. He is just making too much for what he brings.
sorry Im picking your post to respond to because other people have said it too, but buying out Gaustad would be just plain stupid. It would be a colossal waste of $10 million dollars and we would then have to pay someone else to play in his place.

some of you that throw around buyouts as a solid idea seem to not realize that the Preds biggest issue isnt cap space its actual cash..... we arent gonna be within 3 mil of the cap even when it drops next season so paying Gaustad not to play is just not gonna happen.

Closed Thread