HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I ain't even mad

Old
01-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
I don't see it.

I see a lot more heart and jam in this years team than last years. And it really has nothing to do with Ruff...it's the team.
Players eventually with certain coaching types just have the words and lessons bounce off and not soak in. There are some good players here. Why is the compete level so low? Coaches go flat... Just saying in the past few years, it seems like the faith is dwindling. You can't tell me that in these 15+ Years, Ruff has never been in question about his coaching quality.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:57 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

vCash: 500
Still very little heart in this team. Lack of battle in all three zones almost universally across the roster.

Send Grigorenko down. Dont make him play with this lack of passion and compete.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:59 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
A little but not a lot. For 15+ years we've been ... well mostly mediocre to bad. Especially these past 3 to 5. The compete level; where is it? Ruff is, was effective, but he's lost the players' allegiance I think. They haven't shown much under his reich so far in the past few years. It may very well be time for the search for a new coach to start.
LOL no. 4 conference finals, 1 cup final. They had 3 years of missing hte playoffs after Hasek left and Biron proved not to be starter material, and they had 2 years after management was too cheap to re-sign Briere. They've been "bad" (near the bottom of the conference) an entire one time during his career here.

This is what I mean by constant hyperbole.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:59 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

I think the Sabres may have set the record for least strides taken in a hockey game, even with Tyler Ennis.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Jim Carr's Rug

Good:

Ennis - I actually think he's been better each game. Quickness has been showing more and more.
Foligno - Best Buffalo forward tonight.
Kaleta - Nice hits, nice hussle.
Ovechkin - always plays well against Buffalo. Negated 2 icings IIRC.
Erskine - solid at both ends, even if that was a lucky goal.

Bad:
Stafford - he needs to move his legs more.
Ott's puck decisions - He didn't play his smartest game today.
Gerbe- looked over matched and relatively slow.
Crabb - rough game for this guy
Buffalo's finishing- Its been a trend for the last couple of seasons.
Buffalo PP - No fluidity at all.

Ugly:
Faceoffs

All in all, it wasn't that bad. I thought the game could have gone either way really. I thought Buffalo was the better team for 2 of the 3 periods, or at least 50% of the time. Some finishing and face offs could have made up the difference.

Jim Carr's Rug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Okay, let's trade the whole damn team, or we can fire the coach and see if there are changes.

Curious, what would make you be okay with firing Ruff? Losing streak for the rest of the season? I know we're not going to be a good team but it looks like this team doesn't even care, something needs to change.
Fire him if you have a better coach lined up...or if we have a really really good team and he fails to put it together....

Right now...we're young...and in transition from one core to another...

No reason to fire Ruff at this time.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
LOL no. 4 conference finals, 1 cup final. They had 3 years of missing hte playoffs after Hasek left and Biron proved not to be starter material, and they had 2 years after management was too cheap to re-sign Briere. They've been "bad" (near the bottom of the conference) an entire one time during his career here.

Cool... We've never been in the basement... Cool... That's awesome really. We've also haven't been past the first round of the playoffs in the past 6 years but that's alright at least we're not in the basement.

I'd prefer to be in the basement.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:02 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post

Not making the playoffs in a league where most of the teams in the league make the playoffs is bad.

But yeah, something good happened between 6 and 12 years ago. That's obviously enough for them to just run this franchise for the rest of their lives.

Don't forget that they've had two of the best goaltenders in the league during their times. And Biron was most definitely a starting goaltender in his tenure in Buffalo. The team in front of him was garbage. Their best player was Miro ****ing Satan for god sakes.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:02 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
He's Andy Reid. Did some good things, never got to the end.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:03 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
What I meant was that Roy's pretty egotistical to demand that for his first NHL job
You got that right.... and that's pure Patrick Roy!

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Zip15

vCash: 396
U: This fanbase when we're losing. What a bunch of sniveling little girls.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sabresfan129103

I thought Myers was better today. He seemed calmer in the defensive zone.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Fire him if you have a better coach lined up...or if we have a really really good team and he fails to put it together....

Right now...we're young...and in transition from one core to another...

No reason to fire Ruff at this time.
Or get another coach in that can shape and mold a new incoming core to his system.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
aceface33

I thought the Sabres played pretty good today. You get a bad bounce on the second Caps goal, what are you going to do? Obviously they need more offense but the Ennis line finally showed up. If we can get that line and the first line going in the same game they will be in Buisness. Grigs also had hIs best game- if his line can chip in scoring then all the better.

Also, as someone who enjoys reading the GBUs there's an annoying trend after losses of the whole thread turning into general Lindy Ruff discussion. Theres less and less actual game analysis.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Players eventually with certain coaching types just have the words and lessons bounce off and not soak in. There are some good players here. Why is the compete level so low? Coaches go flat... Just saying in the past few years, it seems like the faith is dwindling. You can't tell me that in these 15+ Years, Ruff has never been in question about his coaching quality.
Sure.. I didn't like him playing Gragnani over Weber last year.... I didnt call for his head tho. I didnt like Gerbe on 1st line with Pomms and Hodgson...I'm not calling for his head.

Lindy Ruff is a good coach....he knows a lot more than any of us in here...

People are just emo in here.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:05 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Not making the playoffs in a league where most of the teams in the league make the playoffs is bad.

But yeah, something good happened between 6 and 12 years ago. That's obviously enough for them to just run this franchise for the rest of their lives.

Don't forget that they've had two of the best goaltenders in the league during their times. And Biron was most definitely a starting goaltender in his tenure in Buffalo. The team in front of him was garbage. Their best player was Miro ****ing Satan for god sakes.
Most? Try slightly more than half. Lindy's playoff/non-playoff record is actually above average (8/14 years making the playoffs in a league where 8/15 teams make it every year).

EDIT: And no, BIron was not a starting calibre goalie, as both the Sabres and Flyers found out. There's a reason he only started a couple seasons in both places before teams looked elsewhere.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:
Cool... We've never been in the basement... Cool... That's awesome really. We've also haven't been past the first round of the playoffs in the past 6 years but that's alright at least we're not in the basement.

Yeah, being bad doesn't constitute always being in the basement. We've either missed or got burned in the first round for between 5 and 6 years now... That's just mediocre, especially in a league where...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post

So yeah. Living off the past doesn't give a free ride.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
Or get another coach in that can shape and mold a new incoming core to his system.
Sure.

Of course it all depends on who you bring in...if you upgrade..I'm fine with it....

Change isn't all what its cracked out to be... I think we learned that over the last 4 years.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:07 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Sure.. I didn't like him playing Gragnani over Weber last year.... I didnt call for his head tho. I didnt like Gerbe on 1st line with Pomms and Hodgson...I'm not calling for his head.

At some point though isn't enough enough?

I realize Lindy has a job tomorrow if we fire him today but at some point his welcome is worn out, and honestly, over the last year or so, I've just become fed up with him.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sabresandcanucks

G

Pitts and Ottawa looks like a promising game

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:

No, people are tired of the same boring team, the same excuses and the constant "Why do they look like they don't give a flying **** tonight?"

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:

This is what is wrong with so many Ruff supporters. Yes, he's a good coach, but clearly it is not working anymore. Watching the Sabres and watching other team's play is like night and day. No execution, no passion, no fire. Other than the first 5 minutes of the game tonight's effort was just brutal.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
I thought Myers was better today. He seemed calmer in the defensive zone.
I think he's improved a bit each of the last couple games but still not good enough

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:

I didn't say IN the basement, I said near. As in the Sabres were nowhere NEAR the basement for all of his seasons except 1.

We were talking about his history (hence bolding for 15 years we've been bad or medicore). The fact is that the Sabres have very rarely been "bad" under Ruff.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:09 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
At some point though isn't enough enough?

I realize Lindy has a job tomorrow if we fire him today but at some point his welcome is worn out, and honestly, over the last year or so, I've just become fed up with him.
I want a good team more than i want a different coach.