HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dion Phaneuf

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2013, 12:36 PM
  #1
yideboit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 517
vCash: 500
Dion Phaneuf

I'll get the whining about how it's been done before out of the way ... since I don't come on here 5-10 times a day like many of you, and haven't seen this thread in a while, but I was sitting here wondering if he even has any value left at this point?

Trying to keep bias out of the equation, what would his value be at this point to other teams? What is his value at this point to the Leafs?

yideboit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:39 PM
  #2
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,921
vCash: 5555
I'd think his value is actually pretty high. Plenty of teams are desperate for defense, and Phaneuf is a borderline #1. He's overpaid, but still could garner a pretty penny.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:42 PM
  #3
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.
 
A1LeafNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,721
vCash: 566
Phaneuf is playing on the wrong side with an AHLer for 30 min a game.

Talk about trading a guy at his lowest.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:42 PM
  #4
yideboit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I'd think his value is actually pretty high. Plenty of teams are desperate for defense, and Phaneuf is a borderline #1. He's overpaid, but still could garner a pretty penny.
so theoretically, if nonis decides this team is still a ways away, even with all the pieces he thinks burke put in place, and goes the re-tool/slight rebuild route and puts dion on the block, what type of offers do you think they'd get? i would think a bad contract coming back would be included, but a top line prospect and a pick?

hes still got upside, i understand that, but he needs a better d-partner than what the leafs have ready for him, and a better goaltender for sure in order to be more confident and able to use his skillset more effectively

yideboit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:43 PM
  #5
yideboit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Phaneuf is playing on the wrong side with an AHLer for 30 min a game.

Talk about trading a guy at his lowest.
i suppose this is true ... i've had about enough of the kostka on the top pairing experiment!

yideboit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:45 PM
  #6
Remember2004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 798
vCash: 500
A LOT higher then Hagman,Stajan,White,Mayers.... Burke shoulda got GM of the year for this trade... I doubt Toronto would even consider to trade their captain.

Remember2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:48 PM
  #7
Inverted
Registered User
 
Inverted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 2,223
vCash: 500
Why would you wanted him to trade anyway? Unless the plan is to blow up and go into another 3-5 year rebuilding phase? If that is the plan might as well trade Kessel along with Dion. The return would be 1 round picks/prospects which wont help the team anytime soon.

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:50 PM
  #8
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.
 
Mystifo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: YYT
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,669
vCash: 500
I hear that Philly team needs D

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:53 PM
  #9
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,686
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I'd think his value is actually pretty high. Plenty of teams are desperate for defense, and Phaneuf is a borderline #1. He's overpaid, but still could garner a pretty penny.
nailed it

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:58 PM
  #10
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob
 
Philadelphia Ducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
I hear that Philly team needs D
Not at his cap hit or the price it'd cost to get him here. And our need for defense has been greatly over-exaggerated.

Philadelphia Ducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:04 PM
  #11
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,329
vCash: 500
What's his Cap hit?

Id take him on the Isles so I wouldnt have to worry about him killing Tavares....

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:13 PM
  #12
jbell886
Registered User
 
jbell886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,256
vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
What's his Cap hit?

Id take him on the Isles so I wouldnt have to worry about him killing Tavares....
just make sure tavares ducks when phaneuf shoots

jbell886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:17 PM
  #13
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob
 
Philadelphia Ducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
What's his Cap hit?

Id take him on the Isles so I wouldnt have to worry about him killing Tavares....
6.5 cap hit.

Philadelphia Ducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:24 PM
  #14
questhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 480
vCash: 500
If your going to trade one of your top 5 assets, it has to be to fill a very important spot with youth, as Leafs are rebuilding. You also have to look at who can afford his contract.

Could Dion get you O'Reilly?
Maybe Neiderreiter + Reinhart for Phaneuf?
These are just examples, of types of players I would target, and team with Cap space.

I'd love to see Dion gone, as I am one of his least fav fans, but I also would never trade him, just to trade him. I'd trade him to potentially be better.

questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:37 PM
  #15
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by questhockey View Post
If your going to trade one of your top 5 assets, it has to be to fill a very important spot with youth, as Leafs are rebuilding. You also have to look at who can afford his contract.

Could Dion get you O'Reilly?
Maybe Neiderreiter + Reinhart for Phaneuf?
These are just examples, of types of players I would target, and team with Cap space.

I'd love to see Dion gone, as I am one of his least fav fans, but I also would never trade him, just to trade him. I'd trade him to potentially be better.


Not giving up the isles 1st and 3rd best prospects for 1 and 1/2 seasons of Phaneuf.
Gotta shop him to a team where his teammates will respect him and the gm won't mind overpaying him.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:42 PM
  #16
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!
 
bluemandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yideboit View Post
so theoretically, if nonis decides this team is still a ways away, even with all the pieces he thinks burke put in place, and goes the re-tool/slight rebuild route and puts dion on the block, what type of offers do you think they'd get? i would think a bad contract coming back would be included, but a top line prospect and a pick?

hes still got upside, i understand that, but he needs a better d-partner than what the leafs have ready for him, and a better goaltender for sure in order to be more confident and able to use his skillset more effectively
Not necessarily. Under the new CBA, teams are allowed to eat a bit of salary of the player they trade, so having to take bad contracts back isn't so certain anymore.

If Toronto was willing to eat $1-2 million of Dion's salary, they would have a long line of teams interested and could expect a hefty return at the deadline.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:34 PM
  #17
ginovegas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by H0MER View Post
Why would you wanted him to trade anyway? Unless the plan is to blow up and go into another 3-5 year rebuilding phase? If that is the plan might as well trade Kessel along with Dion. The return would be 1 round picks/prospects which wont help the team anytime soon.
have you seen his performance the last 2 games?

Isn't he something like -8 in 2 games with not one + game so far this season?

He's not part of the long tern solution unless you consider him a 3-4 d-man and PP shooter. A little too expensive at 6.5 per for a 3-4

He's a UFA after next season, so he won't be worth as much next season

send him out west for Gagner and a 1st or a D prospect and a 1st

ginovegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:45 PM
  #18
will13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginovegas View Post
have you seen his performance the last 2 games?

Isn't he something like -8 in 2 games with not one + game so far this season?

He's not part of the long tern solution unless you consider him a 3-4 d-man and PP shooter. A little too expensive at 6.5 per for a 3-4

He's a UFA after next season, so he won't be worth as much next season

send him out west for Gagner and a 1st or a D prospect and a 1st
Were also only 5 games into the season.. Extrapolating from 2 games isn't a very good argument at all.

However if we were going to trade phaneuf I'd want picks and a top prospect. Loosing phaneuf would guarantee a lottery pick this year which would be nice to have.


Last edited by will13: 01-27-2013 at 05:53 PM.
will13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:53 PM
  #19
chunkbox
Registered User
 
chunkbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Findlay , Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
i dunno Dion is a game changer ... if i were the Leafs i would be just fine having him on my team

chunkbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:56 PM
  #20
Ralphy
BONG
 
Ralphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: wuddup
Country: Canada
Posts: 909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkbox View Post
i dunno Dion is a game changer ... if i were the Leafs i would be just fine having him on my team
Thank you. I'm a Leafs fan who loves having him on my team.

Ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:58 PM
  #21
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Phaneuf is playing on the wrong side with an AHLer for 30 min a game.

Talk about trading a guy at his lowest.
But has the market for a player of his caliber ever been higher? Teams are desperate for D right now, and if Phaneuf were available he'd be the cream of the crop.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:58 PM
  #22
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994
 
Kurdt Kobain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: nova sGOATia
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,141
vCash: 120
I like how when threads like this are made, nobody ever seems to actually answer op's question... it's all "we're not trading him.".. "too big a cap hit for anyone to take.".. or stuff like that. I never saw in the op him say that he believes the Leafs ARE trading him, he's just asking what the value is...

And to me, if we were to trade him to say, Nashville.. i'd want back something along the lines of Ellis, Wilson, 1st.

Kurdt Kobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:04 PM
  #23
frankthetank91
Registered User
 
frankthetank91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,732
vCash: 500
I'd trade him to Colorado for O'Reilly.

Or to his hometown for:

Gagner, Jones and a 1st.

Only thing i'd be interested in tht doesn't involve the big 4.

frankthetank91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:06 PM
  #24
The Saurus
Registered User
 
The Saurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United Nations
Posts: 8,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
I'd trade him to Colorado for O'Reilly.

Or to his hometown for:

Gagner, Jones and a 1st.

Only thing i'd be interested in tht doesn't involve the big 4.
The Leafs could do a lot better than that.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:13 PM
  #25
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
The Leafs could do a lot better than that.
Doubt it.

He costs 6.5 mil, isn't particularly fast and has bad hockey IQ. What team would pay a lot for him?

I could see Colorado interested perhaps, but Phaneuf-Johnson while looking great on paper doesn't inspire a ton of confidence.

I guess if Toronto eats 2-2.5 million teams would have substantially more interest.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.