HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chris Tanev

Old
01-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Karter

vCash: 500
He's cheap, fits his role perfectly and gets the job done. I don't see why they would trade him.

I see jumptheshark is not missing a beat in his hilarious over-analyzation of simple jokes.

Karter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:19 PM
13elieve

At this point, I am thinking it takes a massive overpayment to get him out of Vancouver. And by that I mean something like 2 mid firsts.

13elieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:22 PM
Steve Bennett*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13elieve View Post
At this point, I am thinking it takes a massive overpayment to get him out of Vancouver. And by that I mean something like 2 mid firsts.
I agree, I don't think we should make drastic overpayment proposals, but I think his value is pretty good at this point and I would not want to give him up unless there is a huge return. Plus he's only 23 and will only get better... Does have to work on his shot accuracy, that's for sure.

Steve Bennett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Absolutely would not trade him.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bennett View Post
I would trade Tanev for someone like Vanek. Or even Toews and/or Kane but I'd hate to see him playing for the hawks...
Dude you need to put a at the end of posts like this because a lot of people think you're being serious, I see it happening quite often.

Lord Flacko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Co Ho*

Hard to gauge the value on him.
For anyone just looking at stats, unless you're looking at his +/-, he definitely looks underwhelming. But he's insanely consistent, always makes the smart play, and is a rock in his own zone. Also plays even better under pressure (played unreal in the SCF).

Co Ho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:47 PM
Steve Bennett*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATT187 View Post
Dude you need to put a at the end of posts like this because a lot of people think you're being serious, I see it happening quite often.
Sorry, I'm new here, but thanks for the heads up...

Steve Bennett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:49 PM
jammyrft

Tanev is a Dman you'll never hear about or considered as good as he is because he doesn't score. As far as position, poise, and defensive play he's quickly becoming one of the best in the league

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:59 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Tanev's value is high due to circumstance and also a bit because of the player he is. Cheap RH on ELC capable of top4 minutes in a pinch with a salary cap set to drop. I don't see how any team would be remotely interested in the asking price as a result.

As for my take on the player in a vacuum: he has #3 upside. No physicality, no offensive instincts, a bad shot. Those things will seriously take away from his positive attributes: cool under pressure, mobile, positional, efficient defensive defender with a good first pass.

He's the kind of guy that tends to stay with a team and receive no fanfare and sign reasonable contract extensions because of the lack of hype or gaudy stats.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:13 PM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter View Post
He's cheap, fits his role perfectly and gets the job done. I don't see why they would trade him.
This exactly.

Quote:
I see jumptheshark is not missing a beat in his hilarious over-analyzation of simple jokes.
Thread's about the Canucks. Nothing's quite so guaranteed to bring out his humourless, snarky side.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:16 PM
whoshouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Tanev's value is high due to circumstance and also a bit because of the player he is. Cheap RH on ELC capable of top4 minutes in a pinch with a salary cap set to drop. I don't see how any team would be remotely interested in the asking price as a result.

As for my take on the player in a vacuum: he has #3 upside. No physicality, no offensive instincts, a bad shot. Those things will seriously take away from his positive attributes: cool under pressure, mobile, positional, efficient defensive defender with a good first pass.

He's the kind of guy that tends to stay with a team and receive no fanfare and sign reasonable contract extensions because of the lack of hype or gaudy stats.
I hate to single you out but I'm not sure why people confuse him as having no offensive ability. Thats incredibly wrong. Hes a terrific passer and has good creativity. Because of his speed and puck control hes good at rushing the puck up the ice and often jumps in to the play when he's able to. The only deficiency he has is that his shot is rather weak and he has a hard time getting it through, although I'm not worried about that part of his game. His shot will get stronger (it actually already has) as he matures and learns how to put his weight in to it. And getting shots through is something he can learn with experience.

whoshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:54 AM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoshouse View Post
I hate to single you out but I'm not sure why people confuse him as having no offensive ability. Thats incredibly wrong. Hes a terrific passer and has good creativity. Because of his speed and puck control hes good at rushing the puck up the ice and often jumps in to the play when he's able to. The only deficiency he has is that his shot is rather weak and he has a hard time getting it through, although I'm not worried about that part of his game. His shot will get stronger (it actually already has) as he matures and learns how to put his weight in to it. And getting shots through is something he can learn with experience.
Tanev won't ever be the big blast type Dman most want with a right hand shot, but he has an incredible ability to thread a pass thru seems like a true vet.
His pass to Glass in the Finals where Glass completely whiffed on it, was just a perfect example of how he can be an offensive creator. Problem is he chose to pass to Glass of all people.

The D to D him and Ballard seem to pull off are bar none best on the team, Tanev doesn't bobble the puck like Bieksa, and the chemistry is still lacking between Garrison and Edler.

If I were to try and find a comparison for Tanev, I think Gleason without the physical element to his game is about right. Smart defender who can play any spot in a pinch and be relied upon.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:33 AM
hockeywoot

Its hard to get a trade value on him.
His development has been excellent.
The Canucks brass are really high on him.

Stats, point totals don't tell the whole story.
He's solid, if unspectacular. Very poised, very calm.
His defensive play is top-notch. Very good positionally.
Still filling in his frame. Should add more physicality to his game within the next few years.

He fits an organizational need. ELC. RH defenceman.
We don't have a deep prospect pool.
I can't imagine MG would be looking to trade him.
He's worth a lot more to us than other teams.

He does not have an NHL calibre SHOT (lmao poor guy).
He does have good playmaking abilities.
He would put up points if was given PP TOI.

hockeywoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:57 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter View Post

With several teams scrambling for blueline help, the prices are high. I guess a team could look to take advantage of a seller's market, if their own defense was stacked.

@FAN960Jason: .@FriedgeHNIC: "We're starting to hear some trade talk. Price for d-men is ridiculously high."

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:20 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
With several teams scrambling for blueline help, the prices are high. I guess a team could look to take advantage of a seller's market, if their own defense was stacked.

@FAN960Jason: .@FriedgeHNIC: "We're starting to hear some trade talk. Price for d-men is ridiculously high."
All the more reason why you can't deal Tanev. The Canucks have no replacement for him, and he's one of only 2 RHD on the team. Even if the Canucks sell high on him and trade him, they're stuck having to buy high just to replace him. And chances of another team giving up a cheap young right handed dman, who fits the team's system and role perfectly, are pretty small.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Nuck This

I'd trade Tanev for a young blue chip center (Schenn or Couturier) or a top 15 first rounder

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:02 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
I'd trade Tanev for a young blue chip center (Schenn or Couturier) or a top 15 first rounder
These things aren't equal... Those guys are worth top 5 picks IMO.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:04 PM
IKEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuklehead View Post
I'd trade him for Dougie Hamilton, but it would take another bizarre Hodgson/Kassian scenario for that to ever happen.

It's great to see players develop within the system, so I hope he doesn't go anywhere.
I would too, D. Hamilton's a gem. Although they each play a different style, Hamilton will make a larger impact overall than Tanev. Dougie will put up points & Tanev will prevent from points being put up. But suggesting Tanev for Hamilton, well that would be unrealistic IMO.

IKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:45 PM
wahoyaho

vCash: 1058
Hamilton has shown nothing at the NHL level

wahoyaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:00 PM
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!

Tanev needs to put on weight, as well as work on his shot. He's a twig.

CookieCrumbs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:40 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoshouse View Post
I get it from watching him play in the NHL and AHL. You're right in that he's a good passer. But that doesn't mean he has a knack for offense. Nothing he's shown so far, with the one notable exception of a pass that Glass flubbed, would suggest otherwise. It's almost as if he's hesitant to engage offensively for fear of taking himself out of position defensively. A good example of this was last game vs. the Ducks when Weise(?) was trying to hit the trailer on a 4-on-2. The play died because Tanev (the trailer) was already peeling back to the blueline just in case the play turned quickly the other way.

And you know what? That's totally fine. For all of that, he's a legitimate NHL talent and a valuble member of the d-corps.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:23 PM
bearcountry17

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoyaho View Post
Hamilton has shown nothing at the NHL level
Hamilton has the same amount of points in his 4 NHL games as Tanev does in 58 NHL games over 3 seasons.

bearcountry17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcounty17 View Post
Hamilton has the same amount of points in his 4 NHL games as Tanev does in 58 NHL games over 3 seasons.
Tanev also doesn't play with Chara/Seidenberg, nor does he get top 4 minutes or PP time, nor is he being praised as an offensive dman...

Co Ho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Kreider.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Kreider.
Didn't he get sent down from the Rangers roster? What's the story with him right now?

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote