HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Are Leafs fans the worst in the NHL?

Old
01-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Faltorvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
LMFAO, no they don't. BURKE said HIMSELF he'd try to WIN NOW. you think a big bully like him was persuaded by the media? it's funny the media didn't affect him much after that did they?

if anything you can blame the ownership and the gms for the failed impatient approach, not the fans and the media. the 'pressure' should just be white noise.

they should have THEIR plan on how to build a team (that's why burke got 3 mil/year right) and stick with it

i won't feel sorry for someone with a 3 mil salary being persuaded by the meda
YOU SIR! just might get the prize for the sanest post of the day.

I took great offense when that blow hard Burkie tried to blame the impatience shtick on leaf fans, what an absolute insult that was.

This pressure came from an ownership group that was trying to sell the golden goose.

One reason BB got the job is because the answers he gave in his hiring interviews lined up with the the direction ownership wanted.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
We're at game 5. A little over a week in. At current we've had threads for...
And they're all valid. The Leafs are damned lucky to have anyone talking about them at all at this point...

You make it sound like we haven't seen what a team with Kessel, Phaneuf, Grabovski, Kulemin, MacArthur, Bozak, Gunnarsson, Liles, Reimer, etc. can and cannot do.

This roster is mostly the same as the one that self destructed last winter...

But there is a breed of Leafs fan out there who would rather deflect frustration towards other suffering fans than say a negative word about the team.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:15 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
And they're all valid. The Leafs are damned lucky to have anyone talking about them at all at this point...

You make it sound like we haven't seen what a team with Kessel, Phaneuf, Grabovski, Kulemin, MacArthur, Bozak, Gunnarsson, Liles, Reimer, etc. can and cannot do.

OHH geeze, don't mention that, that was sooo last year, err and the year before that, and the, ahh i better stop now, don't wanna be a bad fan (puts blue blinded glasses back on).

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Erdinger

Quote:

But there is a breed of Leafs fan out there who would rather deflect frustration towards other suffering fans than say a negative word about the team.
There is always at least one after every game who gets up in his pulpit to give us a sermon about not being true fans and how the sun shines out of every player in the Blue and White's ass. Probably someone who has never seen the Leafs in a playoff game as well.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:21 PM
I am Canadian
Have faith.

I think that it's just that we care the most. hockey is a big part of my life and if you're reading this it's likely a big part of yours as well. Hf boards is a bit of a hockey fanatic haven ... So it makes sense that when things aren't going well there will be some people who overreact.

That and we have the largest amount of members/troll members to create these threads.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Jerkini

Quote:

I agree with everything you said. But this very prevalent belief that the Leafs need to gut the entire team again seems crazy to me. I don't think you get rid of everyone. I think you supplement the good players (Kessel, Phaneuf) with better players (e.g. Kovalchuk, Richards, Parise, Suter, Getzlaf, Perry, Luongo, hopefully drafted players) and get rid of the expensive second tiered players (Grabovski, MacArthur, Lupul) as you plug the holes.

Instead you have all these people who are so content to be stuck in mediocrity waiting to draft the next Crosby and Malkin and Ovechkin or something. It just seems very naive. There are genuine opportunies to vastly improve our roster and so many fans don't want to pull the trigger because money. It's like they think they're paying for the on ice product out of their own pocket or something.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:29 PM
black charger

I think a big part of the negativity on this board is coming from Leaf haters in disguise a fans.Remember,we're all anonomous.

black charger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:29 PM
D3ADLY

to answer ops question.. Yes but thats only because we have couple of more million fans then any other team. So don't get your self too worked up it's normal to have bad apple when our team is supported so heavily

D3ADLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:30 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
I think a big part of the negativity on this board is coming from Leaf haters in disguise a fans.Remember,we're all anonomous.
Perfect example was the Reimer thread started last night by someone who wasn't a Leafs fan. Troll bait but makes us look bad.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:33 PM
birddog*

Quote:
We're at game 5. A little over a week in. At current we've had threads for.

1) Replacing the coach
2) Trading the captain/top defenseman
3) Trading the leading goal scorer
4) Questioning the JVR trade
5) Envying the worst team of the past 5 season
6) Blamed the new regime (Owners, GM, Coach, Roster) for previous failure

Before the season started (in October) we had

1) Kadri (our top forward prospect) is fat and a bust

Now I don't think all fans are the worst, but we easily have the lowest of the low. Don't believe me? Look around at any other teams forums. You'll be lucky to get a hit on half of these threads per team forum. Nowhere else in the NHL do fans consistently pit their players against hypothetical scenarios. There's absolutely no way to say who the Leafs would have drafted with the Kessel picks, yet it's debated as a certainty, as if it was a straight trade for Seguin/Hamilton/Knight.

Alot of people aren't involved in the starting of such mass hysteria but join in the threads because they're already made and a hot topic. To those I say, please step back off the ledge. But for those insisting on bringing people up there with them, just jump already. You're not going to change anything, and only succeeding in making people along for the ride miserable.

Time to aim the hyper-analysis at the fanbase.
Hard to argue with this after the last 2 games and the threads on these boards.

Loyal to a fault. Finally getting fed up -- for real.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:35 PM
SmoggyTwinkles

The 2013 Leafs are the only team to ever blow 2 games in a row, and it's completely impossible after 5 games at 2 wins and 3 losses that they will ever be able to make up enough ground in their remaining 43 games to make the playoffs.......They are doomed!

SmoggyTwinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:37 PM
ToneBone03
LEAFS

Saying that we're all the worst fans in the NHL is a bit far-fetched. Maybe one could say that we're a fanbase consisting mostly of disillusioned pessimists longing for the playoffs. Not a knock on us at all. It's just the simple fact that when you're not getting the results that you want for this length of time, it happens. The same would happen to the fanbases of any big-market team that hasn't made the playoffs in eight seasons (and counting).

ToneBone03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:40 PM
Phelan

Quote:

1) Replacing the coach

Now I don't think all fans are the worst, but we easily have the lowest of the low. Don't believe me? Look around at any other teams forums. You'll be lucky to get a hit on half of these threads per team forum. Nowhere else in the NHL do fans consistently pit their players against hypothetical scenarios. There's absolutely no way to say who the Leafs would have drafted with the Kessel picks, yet it's debated as a certainty, as if it was a straight trade for Seguin/Hamilton/Knight.

Alot of people aren't involved in the starting of such mass hysteria but join in the threads because they're already made and a hot topic. To those I say, please step back off the ledge. But for those insisting on bringing people up there with them, just jump already. You're not going to change anything, and only succeeding in making people along for the ride miserable.

Mark me down as a number 2. I'm fickle and can't help it; sorry.....

Phelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
I agree with everything you said. But this very prevalent belief that the Leafs need to gut the entire team again seems crazy to me. I don't think you get rid of everyone. I think you supplement the good players (Kessel, Phaneuf) with better players (e.g. Kovalchuk, Richards, Parise, Suter, Getzlaf, Perry, Luongo, hopefully drafted players) and get rid of the expensive second tiered players (Grabovski, MacArthur, Lupul) as you plug the holes.

Instead you have all these people who are so content to be stuck in mediocrity waiting to draft the next Crosby and Malkin and Ovechkin or something. It just seems very naive. There are genuine opportunies to vastly improve our roster and so many fans don't want to pull the trigger because money. It's like they think they're paying for the on ice product out of their own pocket or something.
The Leafs need a bit of gutting and a bit of patience. There's some good skill on the roster, but we have too much duplication. It's like they had an audition for top six roles and then they just kept the guys who weren't good enough, hoping they'd stick it out and contribute in an expanded top 9. But the problem with having a roster full of Kadri, MacArthur, Bozak, Kulemin, Grabovski taking up the middle class of the roster is that collectively, there isn't enough variety in their skillsets to adequately provide support for the top line. It was even worse when Lombardi and Connolly were still here.

In gutting the team, they need to pare down on the quantity of those kinds of players, find guys who can contribute in other ways to make better lines. They need to make decisions on who fits and who doesn't.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Billy6

Quote:

The problem with your post is that those players don't want to come to Toronto to play for this mess of an organization. You make it sound so simple like the Leafs could just go out and sign a superstar whenever they want. News flash: it's not that simple.

Leaf fans need to come to the realization that this team needs to go young, draft high, and when things slowly start to turn around then Toronto will be a more attractive place to play.

If you think that fans that want the Leafs to build through the draft are naive then maybe you should look in the mirror and ask yourself what your vision for this team makes you. This team has been trying to rebuild on the fly since the LAST lockout. It has been an utter and colossal failure. That is a fact, not my opinion. Well... both actually, but it's time to try a different strategy.

There is no quick fix folks. Time to finally figure that out.

Billy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Either that or we're the best fans in the league that we still pay attention to this mess of a team.
This, but to be fair hfboards is a small sample size of Leafs nation.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:06 PM
DionPhaneuf3

Easily the worst fans in the league. When your teams unsuccessful for this long it has that effect.

DionPhaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:14 PM
RogerRoeper*

Looks at attendance figures...Nope.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:15 PM
MapleLeafGardens*

The Leafs havn't won a cup since 1967 back in the old 6 team NHL where you only had to win 2 playoff rounds to win the Stanley Cup and black & white tv's with rabbit ear antennas on top were quite common in peoples homes.

Leafs havn't made the playoffs in 7 seasons.

Other NHL teams fans can't figure out why the Leafs even have fans.

MapleLeafGardens* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Bomber0104
Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionPhaneuf3 View Post
Easily the worst fans in the league. When your teams unsuccessful for this long it has that effect.
This makes no sense to me. How do the fans worsen because the Leafs have been turning out an utterly terrible product for almost a decade?

We should cheer when we lose?

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:27 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionPhaneuf3 View Post
Normally teams who produce this type of result have very few fans. To insult what might be arguably the largest NHL fanbase by saying they are the worst fans makes no sense. The only contemporaries the Leafs have in the Big 4 North American sports are the Cubs,Clippers and the Lions and until the last decade the Red Sox.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy6 View Post
The problem with your post is that those players don't want to come to Toronto to play for this mess of an organization. You make it sound so simple like the Leafs could just go out and sign a superstar whenever they want. News flash: it's not that simple.

Leaf fans need to come to the realization that this team needs to go young, draft high, and when things slowly start to turn around then Toronto will be a more attractive place to play.

If you think that fans that want the Leafs to build through the draft are naive then maybe you should look in the mirror and ask yourself what your vision for this team makes you. This team has been trying to rebuild on the fly since the LAST lockout. It has been an utter and colossal failure. That is a fact, not my opinion. Well... both actually, but it's time to try a different strategy.

There is no quick fix folks. Time to finally figure that out.
Umm, this team is young and has been drafting high. Unfortunately for all of us, Boston reaped the benefits of it.

I'm not talking about a quick fix. I'm talking about spending BIG MONEY on the nhl's BEST PLAYERS, not the second rate scrubs we've been landing. We had the resources and loopholes to toss some Ilya Kovalchuk money around. That much money, man, it's hard to pass up.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Umm, this team is young and has been drafting high. Unfortunately for all of us, Boston reaped the benefits of it.

I'm not talking about a quick fix. I'm talking about spending BIG MONEY on the nhl's BEST PLAYERS, not the second rate scrubs we've been landing. We had the resources and loopholes to toss some Ilya Kovalchuk money around. That much money, man, it's hard to pass up.
But BB was a man of principles What a blowhard he was. Lamorello probably more than any other GM shaped the previous CBA yet he was the one who first exploited any loopholes. Granted the Kovalchuk deal was supposedly forced on him by the Devils owner but still.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:37 PM
beauchamp

Quote:

1) Replacing the coach

Simple answer: No.

They're simply passionate.

And passion sometimes overcomes your common sense.

So yes, there are a number of not-so-great posts, and that from both sides of the Great Divide.

And this comes from someone who's not a Leafs fan but find their Board very interesting.

Some malicious souls will say it's because it often gives me an opportunity to display my wit and intelligence.

But rest assured, I'm way too modest for that, and modesty is my best quality...

PS: Just saw that RememberTwice expressed the same opinion.

Last edited by beauchamp: 01-27-2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Adding the PS
beauchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:41 PM
bshaw

vCash: 2000
well obviously if we manage to win on tuesday, there will be multiple threads talking about first round playoff opponents and reimers acceptance speech into the hhof

i hate these boards but i cannot stay off, is that some sort of illness/addiction?

bshaw is offline   Reply With Quote