HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The hole on the second line (Tangradi -> Kennedy -> Glass -> ???)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2013, 11:08 AM
  #201
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
I thought he played fine, especially considering the alternatives.

Or are you advocating Jeffery up there? Or Adams
I'm advocating moving Kunitz back there since he's had a hard time getting up to speed.

I said it before, but why are we putting the one player who shoots every single chance he gets with the two best goal scorers on our team from a season ago? Not only that but he sucks on his off side in his own zone.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:14 AM
  #202
nhindian
Registered User
 
nhindian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I'm advocating moving Kunitz back there since he's had a hard time getting up to speed.

I said it before, but why are we putting the one player who shoots every single chance he gets with the two best goal scorers on our team from a season ago? Not only that but he sucks on his off side in his own zone.
so.... Duper - Crosby - TK ?


no thanks.

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:15 AM
  #203
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
so.... Duper - Crosby - TK ?


no thanks.
Would be a lot better of an option than Kennedy with Malkin and Neal. Of course why even bother trying something that might actually work since you're putting guys in a place that they can succeed given certain playing styles.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:17 AM
  #204
nhindian
Registered User
 
nhindian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Would be a lot better of an option than Kennedy with Malkin and Neal.
Maybe once we get a legit winger threat for Sid, but $8.7M is a lot to pay for a checking line center otherwise.

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:19 AM
  #205
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
Maybe once we get a legit winger threat for Sid, but $8.7M is a lot to pay for a checking line center otherwise.
So Kunitz playing like crap and Dupuis isn't making Crosby a glorified checking line center right now?

At least Kennedy can carry the puck and create his own space. Just imagine those 3 on the forecheck too. Not something an opposing team would like to see.

Until we can get Sid better options, that's the best we can do, unless they want to try Tangradi again.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:21 AM
  #206
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,763
vCash: 500
Honestly, if they're done with Tangradi or scapegoating him, then I'd rather they put Cooke up with Malkin and Neal than TK for the time being. At least Cooke will a) be on his natural wing, and b) get to the dirty areas and do the hard work so Malkin and Neal can do their things.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:22 AM
  #207
nhindian
Registered User
 
nhindian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
So Kunitz playing like crap and Dupuis isn't making Crosby a glorified checking line center right now?

At least Kennedy can carry the puck and create his own space. Just imagine those 3 on the forecheck too. Not something an opposing team would like to see.

Until we can get Sid better options, that's the best we can do, unless they want to try Tangradi again.
Agree to disagree.

Sid is scoring, so Kunitz will get his chances.

Sid and TK have played together before and Sid was visibly frustrated, I'd prefer that the best player in the world have some semblance of a scoring threat.

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:23 AM
  #208
nhindian
Registered User
 
nhindian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Honestly, if they're done with Tangradi or scapegoating him, then I'd rather they put Cooke up with Malkin and Neal than TK for the time being. At least Cooke will a) be on his natural wing, and b) get to the dirty areas and do the hard work so Malkin and Neal can do their things.
I'd rather do this instead of TK (or Cooke) on Sid's line

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:45 PM
  #209
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Honestly, if they're done with Tangradi or scapegoating him, then I'd rather they put Cooke up with Malkin and Neal than TK for the time being. At least Cooke will a) be on his natural wing, and b) get to the dirty areas and do the hard work so Malkin and Neal can do their things.
Yeah, but what about the third line?

It's the same logic why Vitale never sniffs more than a defensive zone draw shift with Malkin.

It's not about finding the best possible option among a series of less than ideal options, otherwise Vitale would've seen some time already with Geno and Neal and Jeffrey would play significant minutes there today.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:09 PM
  #210
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Yeah, but what about the third line?

It's the same logic why Vitale never sniffs more than a defensive zone draw shift with Malkin.

It's not about finding the best possible option among a series of less than ideal options, otherwise Vitale would've seen some time already with Geno and Neal and Jeffrey would play significant minutes there today.
If they're done with Tangradi and aren't yet ready to make a deal for another top 6 winger, then I'd like to see the Pens role these lines for the time being:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Dupuis-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale/Jeffrey-Adams

The top two lines would each have two skill guys (Crosby/Bennett, Malkin/Neal), and guys that can do the dirty work (Kunitz and Dupuis).

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:22 PM
  #211
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,449
vCash: 500
I thought TK did a good job of supporting Neal coming up the ice on multiple occassions. Offensively, I was happy with the things Malkin's line was doing and thought TK acquitted himself well. He was passing the puck a little like I used to see him do back in the day.

I'm sure everyone got a laugh in the first period when Neal sent a pass across the ice to Malkin and TK came out of nowhere and stole it. Malkin was frozen with his gun cocked looking stupid and I was cracking up. But TK drew a penalty on the play.

TK to me still isn't the answer unless he magically becomes the guy I saw in the A who was a deft passer and could finish as well. For now, he can hopefully be a stop gap.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:26 PM
  #212
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I thought TK did a good job of supporting Neal coming up the ice on multiple occassions. Offensively, I was happy with the things Malkin's line was doing and thought TK acquitted himself well. He was passing the puck a little like I used to see him do back in the day.

I'm sure everyone got a laugh in the first period when Neal sent a pass across the ice to Malkin and TK came out of nowhere and stole it. Malkin was frozen with his gun cocked looking stupid and I was cracking up. But TK drew a penalty on the play.

TK to me still isn't the answer unless he magically becomes the guy I saw in the A who was a deft passer and could finish as well. For now, he can hopefully be a stop gap.
That's as likely to happen as Tangradi is to be the player you remember three years ago, which is to say not as long as this organization approaches player development the way they do.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:31 PM
  #213
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
That's as likely to happen as Tangradi is to be the player you remember three years ago, which is to say not as long as this organization approaches player development the way they do.
I remember pimping TK several years back on here and figured he would be a high energy third liner, which is obviously what he became. But I thought he would be an all around player who was as capable of scoring a goal as making a sweet play to set one up.

I can't recall ever seeing a guy transform into something so opposite as the gunner with blinders on he has become.

I remarked before that someone got on him about shooting more and he took it way too literally, but he has stayed in the league all these yrs doing it... So I probably wouldn't change either I guess.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:34 PM
  #214
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I remember pimping TK several years back on here and figured he would be a high energy third liner, which is obviously what he became. But I thought he would be an all around player who was as capable of scoring a goal as making a sweet play to set one up.

I can't recall ever seeing a guy transform into something so opposite as the gunner with blinders on he has become.

I remarked before that someone got on him about shooting more and he took it way too literally, but he has stayed in the league all these yrs doing it... So I probably wouldn't change either I guess.
Outside of Crosby and Malkin, is there ANY forward on the Pens to whom that applies.

I've written this a few times. Remember the 8-3 Ottawa game where Foligno danced half the Pens en route to a goal (forget if he finished or set up a gimme, just remember the dance). I'm sitting there thinking to myself that, with Sid out, the Pens have ONE GUY who can do that, while Ottawa has a good half dozen. It's kind of sad. It's also why I suggested, when you mentioned MacArthur, that he'd instantly be the Pens third most creative forward.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:42 PM
  #215
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Outside of Crosby and Malkin, is there ANY forward on the Pens to whom that applies.

I've written this a few times. Remember the 8-3 Ottawa game where Foligno danced half the Pens en route to a goal (forget if he finished or set up a gimme, just remember the dance). I'm sitting there thinking to myself that, with Sid out, the Pens have ONE GUY who can do that, while Ottawa has a good half dozen. It's kind of sad. It's also why I suggested, when you mentioned MacArthur, that he'd instantly be the Pens third most creative forward.
That's why I said, I don't really care who plays with Crosby and Malkin anymore. No one can create anything but Crosby and Malkin.

It's funny because BB will come up and pull a toe drag on a defender and people will need a box of Kleenex and want him inducted into the HHOF.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:47 PM
  #216
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
That's why I said, I don't really care who plays with Crosby and Malkin anymore. No one can create anything but Crosby and Malkin.

It's funny because BB will come up and pull a toe drag on a defender and people will need a box of Kleenex and want him inducted into the HHOF.
They'll need the Kleenex when Bylsma benches him for having the audacity to do that.

Remember, it's all about accountability with Coach Disco.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:55 PM
  #217
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
They'll need the Kleenex when Bylsma benches him for having the audacity to do that.

Remember, it's all about accountability with Coach Disco.
BB will be an interesting study with DB. The no skill excuse most certainly won't fly and his game is going to be prone to making mistakes, especially in the beginning.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:45 PM
  #218
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres
 
Zatch88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Johnstown
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I'm advocating moving Kunitz back there since he's had a hard time getting up to speed.

I said it before, but why are we putting the one player who shoots every single chance he gets with the two best goal scorers on our team from a season ago? Not only that but he sucks on his off side in his own zone.
I dont know. I kinda like TK spazzing out and making pad passes to neal and malkin.

Zatch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:14 PM
  #219
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup
 
Malkin4Top6Wingerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 4,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
They'll need the Kleenex when Bylsma benches him for having the audacity to do that.

Remember, it's all about accountability with Coach Disco.
I'm going to be amused when BB comes up, actually shows something, and gets an extended look in the top 6 that Tangradi could never earn.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:28 PM
  #220
dannyj10
Registered User
 
dannyj10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fort Campbell,KY
Country: United States
Posts: 493
vCash: 500
TK holds the puck too long to be on Geno's line. I can't stand him on that line. Just like he just did before the commercial break.

dannyj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:02 PM
  #221
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres
 
Zatch88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Johnstown
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
tk had a god awful offensive game today.

Zatch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:44 PM
  #222
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatch88 View Post
tk had a god awful offensive game today.
Which probably is why Glass played there throughout the third (and actually didn't look half bad).

Time to close this and start a 'Glass on Malkin's wing' thread.

Vegas is setting the over/under at four periods.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:00 PM
  #223
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,160
vCash: 500
Glass on Malkin's Line

Tangradi on Malkin's line thread . . . RIP after 8 periods of hockey.

TK on Malkin's line thread . . . RIP after 5 periods of hockey.

And so we now arrive at the Glass on Malkin's line thread.

Two things:

1. Vegas has set the over/under for the line at 4 periods.

2. I actually thought Glass didn't look bad with Geno and Neal in the third period tonight. Seemed to have a decent instinctive feel not only for his role but for when/how to support and when to give space. IMO, Geno and Neal showed more trust in him in one period of hockey than they've shown with everyone else combined this season. Whether it's novelty or passable for a while is up for debate, but I'd be stunned if Glass-Malkin-Neal isn't a line on Tuesday.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:07 PM
  #224
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,492
vCash: 500
Jesus Bylsma just put Vitale on LW and let the goals flow already. Enough with the foreplay.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:08 PM
  #225
Al Smith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 963
vCash: 500
'tis a sad state of affairs, but I see no Tocchets or Stevens' on the horizon. Perhaps Jeffrey, but I thought he looked slow in the first game. He may never recover from his knee injury.

Al Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.