HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 - Draft Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 05:02 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Malone is better than Joliat, but he's an ATD hard mode player too.
He is, which is why I was hesitant to draft him, but I've looked at other teams that have drafted him in the past and seen how they insulated him. Hope I can get it done!

Old
01-27-2013, 05:02 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Malone is excessively biased towards just putting his head down and trying to score goals, but man could he ever score goals.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:04 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Seeing as he was just as good at LW, I don't see how an excellent goal scoring winger is hard to build around.

01-27-2013, 05:06 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Seeing as he was just as good at LW, I don't see how an excellent goal scoring winger is hard to build around.
Malone only played one season at LW, right? The year he moved to Lalonde's wing while Quebec was on hiatus.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Malone only played one season at LW, right? The year he moved to Lalonde's wing while Quebec was on hiatus.
And scored at a 2 goal a game pace. He clearly suffered no ill effects. And seeing as his regular running mate was a LW/C I would not be surprised if their positions were fluid in Quebec.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
This was a big selling point, and the fact that he took an unexplained 35ish spot drop.

I think it's very doable, but you need the right guys to play with Malone. Not too tricky, but there were others who were simpler.

That said, I want to win, and not just build an easy team

Old
01-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Malone is better than Joliat, but he's an ATD hard mode player too.
Depends how you look at it. His half-league stats look amazing, but like Lalonde, once you consolidate the scoring, they look a lot less impressive.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:21 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

When I drafted Malone, there were people saying that they would only buy him as a LW if he played next to Lalonde. That was several drafts ago, though.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
When I drafted Malone, there were people saying that they would only buy him as a LW if he played next to Lalonde. That was several drafts ago, though.
Some people are silly sticklers that oppose fluidity.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:27 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
I think a lot of people went awfully easy on him for that. I was impressed neither by his 1st line LW, nor by his entire 2nd line. But then, ATD 2012 was the year of [one elite offensive player] + [defense, defense, defense] = win. Three of the four conference finalists were all built on basically the same concept. I have never seen such strategic homogeneity in the draft before, and I hope I never see it again.
I have been repeatedly biting my tongue on this because I was glad an offensive oriented team won - but I agree completely.

On the second line in particular the names looked a lot better than their actual ATD type value in comparison to other teams lines.

There were a few teams with lines that were frankly 1 complete plug (in relation to the ATD) playing with 2 other good ATD players as you mentioned too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Alright, I've decided.

Joe Malone, C
Good pick where you got him for sure imo.

I was agonizing over taking him or one other player or a goalie. I decided to go with a top 10 goalie.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:29 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Some people are silly sticklers that oppose fluidity.
I do have no problem saying that I would prefer that he played more than one season at LW. He's not going to have a Lalonde next to him here. It's going to be a lesser player than that. Against much tougher competition than he played against at that point. Of course he and Lalonde would run roughshod over the league.

I'm not saying it totally saps his value to me at LW. But it pretty much entirely depends on the line that is built. If he builds a line where I think Malone can be effective, then sure I think it'll be fine. But it really has to be built well.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:30 PM
Nalyd Psycho

On the other hand, with a more natural playmaking centre he'd likely be just as effective if not more effective.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:34 PM
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Alright, I've decided.Joe Malone, C
Good pick. Only 2 ppg player in history. I think anyone who didn't draft a forward in the first 2 rounds and didn't take him or 1 undrafted forward is crazy. Maybe next year I'll do that if I can get Malone or the undrafted forward in the 3rd round.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:34 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
On the other hand, with a more natural playmaking centre he'd likely be just as effective if not more effective.
Would he? He played in an era where end-to-end rushes were the norm. I've never fully figured out how to account for the style of hockey in that era (lots of individual rushes, less passing, no forward passing).

Old
01-27-2013, 05:35 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Maybe, yeah. It's hard to say because of the way the game was then. The game was built on insane suicide mission runs, so Lalonde's passing ability had very little to do with anything. I'm sure the two of them just took turns going forward attacking the D with rushes. I'm not sure those two would have been effective at all with forward passing rules like they are today.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:36 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Would he? He played in an era where end-to-end rushes were the norm. I've never fully figured out how to account for the style of hockey in that era (lots of individual rushes, less passing, no forward passing).
It really wasn't that cut and dry. For example, Cyclone Taylor was a master at setting up the trailer on the play. Joe Malone is often described as the era's master at finding openings in the slot to receive passes.

I think the no forward pass rule makes us imagine the game was more end to end rush oriented than it actually was.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:37 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
Good pick. Only 2 ppg player in history. I think anyone who didn't draft a forward in the first 2 rounds and didn't take him or 1 undrafted forward is crazy. Maybe next year I'll do that if I can get Malone or the undrafted forward in the 3rd round.
I think that second guy has been pretty overrated in these drafts, but Malone I totally agree with. I was extremely tempted by him with our third pick.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:38 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Not sure what you mean here. Joe Malone wasn't over 2ppg for his career, and other players have been over 2ppg for individual seasons.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:42 PM
Hawkman

Quote:
Not sure what you mean here. Joe Malone wasn't over 2ppg for his career, and other players have been over 2ppg for individual seasons.
Non.

Quote:
A prolific scorer before the NHL was formed in 1917, Joe Malone is perhaps the game's least heralded superstars. His modesty contributes to that, according to old time journalists. There is, however, no disputing his extraordinary scoring ability. Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, the Hulls, and Bossy are among the games most prolific, but none can claim to have averaged two goals a game. Only "The Phantom" can claim that.
http://habslegends.blogspot.com/2006...oe-malone.html

Old
01-27-2013, 05:44 PM
Nalyd Psycho

You said points per game, not goals per game.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Hawkman

Quote:
You said points per game, not goals per game.
2 goals per game is 2 points per game.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:52 PM
vecens24

Quote:
2 goals per game is 2 points per game.
Yeah, but others have done 2 PPG? That Gretzky fella did it a few times, among others....

Old
01-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Yeah, but others have done 2 PPG? That Gretzky fella did it a few times, among others....
Yes, but I meant to say goals and Gretzky didn't average 2 ppg for his career, although before his first retirement Super Mario did.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Yes, but I meant to say goals and Gretzky didn't average 2 ppg for his career, although before his first retirement Super Mario did.
Joe Malone averaged 1.39 for his career. Only the two seasons at 2.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:07 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 133
Disappointed to see Joliat and Malone disappear right in front of me, but thrilled to pick up the greatest Taiwanese hockey player of all time to pair with Robinson ... D Rod Langway

Closed Thread