HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Plus/Minus Thread | Penguins 2, Senators 1 (SO)

Old
01-27-2013, 07:37 PM
Sideline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
+ Martin: Takes mental toughness to come back from last year's performance plus all of the negative things written and said about him. He's been very good in his own end and has been pretty good handling the puck in the O-zone. Still can't shoot to save his life, but he's earned his salary through the first 4 games.

*trimmed for length*....
This is an excellent post. I agree with every word of it.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:37 PM
SidTheKid8787

Fleury played great.

Sutter had a stinker though.
Kunitz too.

Martin excelled cuz this was a pretty soft game.
We aren't winning a cup with him in a top 4 role, sorry.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:40 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouperTrooper View Post
- The phrase "Kunitz can't handle the pass"
Well, if it makes you feel better, next game it will be 'just rolls off Kunitz's stick'.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:42 PM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

+ Fleury. Wasn't always pretty but he made some key saves, including late on Karlsson.

+ Neal. What a shot this guy has. Still waiting for Shero to realize Sid needs one of his own.

+ Tangradi. Maybe he simply isn't a top line player but can still be effective in a bottom 6 role? I'd like to see him on the 3rd line.

-Sutter. Man as good as he started, it has gone south FAST.

-Kunitz. Throw him back with Geno/Neal and see if he can play there. He has been atrocious all year.

-PP. SOOO bad and theres just soooo much talent for it to be this bad. Letang should be removed for Niskanen. Or have a session together and learn how to get shots on net. Of course that brings me to the next -...

-Injuries. Well it took 5 games but at long last you took our best d-man away from us. Hopefully it's not significant but I'm not holding my breath--is there a team more unlucky with injuries than us?

= Sid/Geno. Idk, Sid just seems off. Seems gassed at times. Of course, his = is to expectations of him. Idk maybe he's just pissed his linemates can't do **** for him. Geno.. he gives and he takes. Great plays are still always there but just some awful turnovers sprinkled throughout.

wheelz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:43 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

+ Martin: he's definitely improved on his stinker of a season last year. let's hope this is a good indication of how he should've play with the Pens.

+ Fleury: let's face it, Fleury's the reason the Pens even stayed in the game late in the 3rd period and overtime.

+ Tangradi: finally, a nice performance from him. he's gotta keep it up if he wants critics to get off his back.

- Sutter: just wasn't sharp tonight.

- Kunitz: just wasn't sharp all season.

- Hartnell: just because.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:45 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Puck support and breaking out with shorter passes really worked. Kunitz and Cooke are really struggling turning the puck over. I still love the speed we are coming up with. Defense is on their heels. It really works. Good job FINALLY adjusting, DB. About ****ing time.

Sutter struggled today, too, but I watched Staal be invisible a lot in my days. It happens.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

-Lovejoy to the top pairing if Niskanen is out long. You know it's going to happen.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:46 PM
sexyllama

+Martin
+Fleury

-What is this offensive system. No puck possession. Spacing on cycle, etc. Just blah.
-Glass / Malkin / Neal line. Just wow.
-Lovejoy. I love he just stood in the middle of a two on one and didn't even pick a guy.
-Any time we pass or receive the puck.
--Any time we pass or receive the puck.
---Anything Kunitz does on the ice. Pass, Carry, Shoot, all bad.

Hopefully, there is a LOT of rust.

sexyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Sager
U talkin to me punk?

This PP is dying for a quarterback. It's got to be either Sid or Geno that makes the commitment to learning and becoming it too. Also need a scheme that goes along with it that is more dynamic and less static.

Kunitz needs to come off in favor of Sutter or Kennedy. Maybe it's worth a shot to see if Bennett can make the next step and get in there, but I don't wanna rush him.

Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:49 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Puck support and breaking out with shorter passes really worked. Kunitz and Cooke are really struggling turning the puck over. I still love the speed we are coming up with. Defense is on their heels. It really works. Good job FINALLY adjusting, DB. About ****ing time.

Sutter struggled today, too, but I watched Staal be invisible a lot in my days. It happens.
It worked against the Flyers and Rangers too (and in the second half of this game).

The other half of the season, including the first half of this game, has been 'stretch pass or death'.

BTW, I thought the gap against left a little to be desired, although I suppose it's hard to be aggressive when you're down to five defensemen and two of them are Engo and Lovejoy.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Terrapin

+ Getting 2 points
+ Martin. Another great game
+ Engo. As I said before the game, a solid, physical presence. Saved Kunitz's sorry ass.
+ Fleury

- PP. Absolutely embarrassing. Can't even get the zone most of the time.
- Kunitz. Don't know what happened to this guy, but he sucks on ice.
- Nisky getting hurt
- My computer constantly getting 'HTTP 400' error, and not being able to get on the site for long lengths of time.

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:50 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
-Lovejoy to the top pairing if Niskanen is out long. You know it's going to happen.
Please . . . stop. Don't even joke about that. You are joking, right?

Old
01-27-2013, 07:50 PM
SidTheKid8787

Quote:

Yea, it's gonna take some time to break this team out of the habit of going north fast with all the forwards hanging by the red/far blueline. Just glad they are addressing it early.

I don't expect to see many games like this from Sutter though. He's the most coachable guy on this team.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:51 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyllama View Post
+Martin
+Fleury

-What is this offensive system. No puck possession. Spacing on cycle, etc. Just blah.
-Glass / Malkin / Neal line. Just wow.
-Lovejoy. I love he just stood in the middle of a two on one and didn't even pick a guy.
-Any time we pass or receive the puck.
--Any time we pass or receive the puck.
---Anything Kunitz does on the ice. Pass, Carry, Shoot, all bad.

Hopefully, there is a LOT of rust.
I'd give Malkin a minus for 2/3 of the game, but Malkin and Neal looked better with Glass in the third period of this game than they've looked with anyone else all season. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you'll find yourself in a small minority on this one.

EDIT: Just looked. Malkin was credited with 4 takeaways in this game, and I'm pretty sure all of them came in the third . . . with Glass out there with him. He's not a solution, but he's better than any alternative, I think.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
"Uh, Ben fits our system well, and we think his skating and puck moving will mesh well with Tanger."

I wish I was kidding, but you know you can hear Bylsma saying it just as much as I can.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:55 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Dear Brandon Sutter,

I take back that thing about you needing to stop looking like you need a big raise soon. Just keep going like you did and we`ll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Dear Matty,

be alright, please. You are the light of my life and I really need you to please keep doing what you are doing.

Thanx bois!

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:56 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Bylsma: Hmmm, Strait is on the top pair in NYI with Streit, i wonder if i use Lovejoy on the top pair with Letang will make Lovejoy look solid? i'll give him 20 games.

66-29-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
hctopcheds11

Quote:
I'd give Malkin a minus for 2/3 of the game, but Malkin and Neal looked better with Glass in the third period of this game than they've looked with anyone else all season. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you'll find yourself in a small minority on this one.

EDIT: Just looked. Malkin was credited with 4 takeaways in this game, and I'm pretty sure all of them came in the third . . . with Glass out there with him. He's not a solution, but he's better than any alternative, I think.
Yeah I'd agree. It'll do for now but that line needs some jam.

You know I feel for Geno at times but at least he has Neal. Right now, 87's "Neal" is Pascal Dupuis which is philosophically horrifying.

hctopcheds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
"Uh, Ben fits our system well, and we think his skating and puck moving will mesh well with Tanger."

I wish I was kidding, but you know you can hear Bylsma saying it just as much as I can.
That I could even envision him saying that makes me want to vomit.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:01 PM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

This is like the bizarro world. Everyone frustrated with Malkin, Letang and Kunitz and pleased with Martin, Tangradi and Fleury. If Bylsma starts showing up on the plus lists, I'm building a bunker.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:02 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
This is like the bizarro world. Everyone frustrated with Malkin, Letang and Kunitz and pleased with Martin, Tangradi and Fleury. If Bylsma starts showing up on the plus lists, I'm building a bunker.
Wait till December 21 2013.....

66-29-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:03 PM
fate

I had to run out so I missed the 2nd period but why all the minuses for Sutter? I didn't see any glaring problems with him this game and I recall a scoring chance.

+ Overall defense effort was much better
+ Tangradi, I was down on him in the bust thread but he played a much better game tonight
- Letang looked a mess tonight
--- Powerplay was a cluster****, the one I remember the most we didn't get possession in the zone until there were 7 seconds left

fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
I still love the speed we are coming up with. Defense is on their heels. It really works. Good job FINALLY adjusting, DB. About ****ing time.
I don't get this part. How did it work exactly? We never had long shifts in Ottawa's zone where we really dominated in terms of puck control, nor any point where we got a bunch of good scoring changes / open looks like Ottawa had.

To me the only thing that worked better was the reduced number of giveaways kept the other team out of our zone more. But in terms of controlling the play in their zone and getting quality chances tonight seemed pretty subpar. The one creative open-ice play that resulted in a good scoring chance, Neal buried. Other than that... fling it at the net and see what goes in 2.0.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:10 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

+ Great game from Martin, Orpik and Engelland. Niskanen started out splendidly also before his injury.
+ Duper
+ Shoot out scoring. As solid as Anderson looked throughout the game, he got straight up abused by our Tripletta of Terrors.
+ Vitale, Adams, Tangradi and Glass played their roles well today.
+ Sid
= Malkin was by far our most dangerous offensive player, but he must be better than those mistakes. The awful one in OT annoyed me the most, but whereas I could kinda understand the giveaway pass being also due to the line change, he cannot just whiff at Spezza in the neutral zone.
=/+ Flower. Not a big fan of the rebound on the goal, but he more than made up for it with some good saves. Needed a big dose of luck on that bad angle shot though and almost gave up a game winner on another massive rebound off another collectable shot to his chest. Two goals against in the shoot out on top means I cannot really go with the plus as I initially wanted.

- Lovejoy was noticeably poor on most every shift. Please play Despres and Bortuzzo together on the third pairing during Niskanen's absence Dan. Please.
- Sutter. Really bad game. Was likely worse than Lovejoy. Rivalled by Kunitz who I've never seen play this terrible three games in a row.
- Letang was pretty poor 5 on 5 not least because of having a day where the puck seemed a ping pong ball on his stick, but he was obscenely bad on the PP as he botched almost everything the 1st unit did by his lonesome. The structure of the PP... to the extent that it exists... doesn't help though.

On that note....
- PP. Colossal minus One cannot even describe how pathetic our PP was today. Only SH goals against could have made it more putrid and that was close enough.

Bylsma related:
I still see us chipping it up the wall on the break out virtually every single time, but at least today for the majority there was support there and more coordination as far as coming up together as a group.
The PP is ultimately his responsibility and the first unit has been a major problems in all five games so far. PK looks pretty good though and did again today.
I greatly dislike the look our offense has. We had two or three good offensive shifts the entire match (not counting rushes off of turnovers such as the one that resulted in Malkin hitting iron) and the rest looks like hoping for a fortuitous break.

Thought the game itself was extremely sloppy, but I'll be happy with the two points at least .

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:12 PM
SidTheKid8787

Sutter wasn't terribly bad but he turned over the puck numerous times with the new breakout formula. Just has to work out the kinks.
But everyone was turning the puck over tonight.