HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Crosby back down to Earth?

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 08:33 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

vCash: 500
Why is it that when someone makes a statement about a player people act like they said that player sucks? I don't see the OP saying that, or anyone else agreeing with him.

Crosby despite being PPG hasn't looked that good. In the Leafs game he had 2 points but looked awful. I'm sure he won't look this bad for the rest of the season but I think the people who expected him to score 60-70 points were off base.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:35 PM
Sureves

Both he and Karlsson had underwhelming performances tonight. First game I've seen from Sid this year though, I'm sure he'll pick it up.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:36 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Why is it that when someone makes a statement about a player people act like they said that player sucks? I don't see the OP saying that, or anyone else agreeing with him.

Crosby despite being PPG hasn't looked that good. In the Leafs game he had 2 points but looked awful. I'm sure he won't look this bad for the rest of the season but I think the people who expected him to score 60-70 points were off base.
I agree he hasn't looked good. Defensively even worse than offensively. I am a little worried, as a fan, but I also don't rule him out for 60. He's a guy that can get 15 points in a week and change the look of the points race in three games.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:39 PM
jigglysquishy

Quote:

60 points would be his worst PPG since he was 18 years old. Highly doubt he plays that poorly.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:39 PM
TertiaryAssist

Quote:

It's sarcasm, because I'm pretty sure that this thread shows up nearly every season. Which you'd think would teach the OP about a concept called the "slow start." Rats getting shocked in a lab learn more quickly than some people here.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Sutter16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
As a Pens fan, I can tell you that he's always been a slow starter. He's also being hurt by the ridiculously poor play of his linemates right now. Dupuis and Kunitz have been horrendous.

He's fine. He's not at the top of his game right now but he's playing well at both ends of the rink.
Well said

Old
01-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
It is a week into the season so I can make this topic.

After all the hype and fanfare a couple years back it was looking like Crosby had finally done it and become the best player in the league.

There was no questioning his talent, he was one of the top players in the game to be sure but that is the problem.. there was supposed to be nobody close to him.

Then finally it seemed he had done it and become the best player in the league, finally.. then he got hurt.

Then he came back...and got hurt again.

He is back now and although it is early he just does not seem the same, I don't see that sheer dominance of before.. he has put up some numbers but not close to before.

Have the concussions hurt his game that much that he is now just again "one of the best"?
lol, what a terrible way to start a thread.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigo View Post
It's sarcasm, because I'm pretty sure that this thread shows up nearly every season. Which you'd think would teach the OP about a concept called the "slow start." Rats getting shocked in a lab learn more quickly than some people here.
Slow start or not, he's looked downright bad, and I don't remember in any of his other "slow starts" him looking this lost. And stragely, it's not timidness, it's him making stupid mistakes. I counted at least a dozen poor passes in the Leafs game, and I didn't each watch that entire game. He had similar mistakes today again.

If Crosby was playing great, but getting snakebitten like he was in years past, I might be more inclined to believe the pattern to hold true. Expecting him to turn on the jets after game five while ignoring how badly he's played is worse than saying he's not as good as he used to be.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:49 PM
JamieG

Every time someone comments on Crosby not dominating, his defenders always trot out the same old things regardless of reality - Blame the linemates. Blame the coach for not putting him with the right linemates. Say he's playing great defensively regardless of if he is or not.

He hasn't been that great. He hasn't been controlling games. He will always get some points because of the power play, but to always defend him by blaming his linemates, etc, gets tiresome.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:50 PM
drs151

"Its a week into the season so i can make this thread"

lol. guy he has 3 goals 2 assists in 5 games. Not that bad. He could easily go off for 5-7 points in the next 2 games. You just dont know. Yeah he does look a little rusty. Hes played limited games in the last 2 years, so this doesnt really suprise me. If anything this is a postive thing that he is still producing points while being rusty, not playing much in the last 2 years and having god awful linemates. You see that pass Malkin fed Neal in the slot. Yeah crosby gave 2 beauty passes in the first to Dupuis and Kennedy. Kennedy looked like a fool on his pass from Crosby, and Pascal "tunnel vision" Dupius just had to look up and boom crosby has a tap in.

Look at all the top players in the league and who they get to play with.

Malkin- has Neal
Stamkos and St Louis have each other
Sedins have each other and usually have a decent sniper with them as well.
Thornton and Marleau
Eberle has Hall and the Nuge
While hes not been top lately Ovechkin has Backstrom.
Gaborik has Richards and Nash (is that right?)
Cant remember who Giroux has but Im sure its better than what Crosby has

Even with garbage linemates if Crosby is healthy I still expect that he will lead the league in points. With the short season maybe not but still top 3. He is still the best player in the game imo.

Old
MayonnaiseOreo

Just curious, but do Penguins fans not realize that Malkin's nickname is "Gino" and not "Geno"?

Old
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum View Post
We're ****ed, aren't we guys? Ovi's past his prime. Crosby's back down to earth. Stamkos is a passer. Malkin can just surrender the MVP to Daniel Winnik.
You misspelled Justin Schultz.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:55 PM
jrolley325

vCash: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieG View Post
Every time someone comments on Crosby not dominating, his defenders always trot out the same old things regardless of reality - Blame the linemates. Blame the coach for not putting him with the right linemates. Say he's playing great defensively regardless of if he is or not.

He hasn't been that great. He hasn't been controlling games. He will always get some points because of the power play, but to always defend him by blaming his linemates, etc, gets tiresome.
and every time he has a 4, 5, or 6 point game, the haters blame a weak opponent, goalie, etc

Old
01-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Quote:
Slow start or not, he's looked downright bad, and I don't remember in any of his other "slow starts" him looking this lost. And stragely, it's not timidness, it's him making stupid mistakes. I counted at least a dozen poor passes in the Leafs game, and I didn't each watch that entire game. He had similar mistakes today again.

If Crosby was playing great, but getting snakebitten like he was in years past, I might be more inclined to believe the pattern to hold true. Expecting him to turn on the jets after game five while ignoring how badly he's played is worse than saying he's not as good as he used to be.
You clearly did not watch him in the year he got 66 points in 41 games. He was awful at the beginning... fought Niskanen in Dallas, then all of a sudden, it began in Anaheim.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:57 PM
TertiaryAssist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolley325 View Post
and every time he has a 4, 5, or 6 point game, the haters blame a weak opponent, goalie, etc
Don't forget the refs!

Old
01-27-2013, 08:58 PM
TertiaryAssist

Quote:

I don't agree with either your assessment or your memory. If either Kennedy or Kunitz could bury a puck when it's put right in front of him, the OP would be waiting another game to make this thread - after holding off for an entire week.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:59 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieG View Post

Can someone please find YT of Tyler Kennedy screwing up in the slot today to show this guy why it is a valid reason? I can't find it - I am old.

I would never blame the coach. Crosby gets big minutes and important minutes. I have never heard anyone blame Bylsma.

His linemates are barely NHL quality players, though, and certainly not first line material.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
You clearly did not watch him in the year he got 66 points in 41 games. He was awful at the beginning... fought Niskanen in Dallas, then all of a sudden, it began in Anaheim.
He was not awful, he simply did not look like the 100+ point player he is. This Crosby looks like he's trying to do everything himself, he passes to no one in particular, has horrible zone entry. Crosby wasn't that bad 2 years ago.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:01 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Quote:
It is a week into the season so I can make this topic.

After all the hype and fanfare a couple years back it was looking like Crosby had finally done it and become the best player in the league.

There was no questioning his talent, he was one of the top players in the game to be sure but that is the problem.. there was supposed to be nobody close to him.

Then finally it seemed he had done it and become the best player in the league, finally.. then he got hurt.

Then he came back...and got hurt again.

He is back now and although it is early he just does not seem the same, I don't see that sheer dominance of before.. he has put up some numbers but not close to before.

Have the concussions hurt his game that much that he is now just again "one of the best"?

Quote:
Not for a couple years... but for their first 5 years or so he [Ovechkin] was better.
I can't help but think you have an agenda.

Anyways, Crosby has been the best player in the league for a long time. And as has been shown, he's a notoriously slow starter. If he only has 20 points half way through the season I think then maybe you can start threads like this. 1 week into the season though?

Old
01-27-2013, 09:02 PM
jigglysquishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
Yup

First 13 GP 6-9-15

Next 28 GP 26-25-51

PPG jumped from 1.15 to 1.82

Old
01-27-2013, 09:04 PM
ForzaItalia

How long before we see a "Crosby is Roaring Back" topic?

Old
01-27-2013, 09:04 PM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Crosby is so overrated.. He's the second-best player on his own team and a top 5 player in the NHL tho.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Honour Over Glory

Crosby usually starts the season slow...

Then again, 5pts in 5 games is supposedly slow...only here on hf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
Crosby is so overrated.. He's the second-best player on his own team and a top 5 player in the NHL tho.
Lol at stuff like this...

Malkin is the best player in the game right now, sure, but he's only holding that title because Crosby has missed a lot of time and when you're hurt, you aren't playing and if someone else steps up and dominates, throne is theirs.

And top 5? He's top 2, with his buddy #71 as the only one before him, at this point in time.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Matt Damon

Watched every game this year and his linemates really aren't helping him at all. Dupuis, who's a nice player to have, doesn't exactly have much offensive creativity going for him and Kunitz is playing absolutely terrible hockey to start the year. Crosby is a little slow out of the gate, but like someone said he can score in bunches and go on a tear at any moment. Really not worried about him.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:13 PM
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
Bingo.

Closed Thread