HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Anyone Else Fear Silfverberg Will Become Our Kadri?

Old
01-27-2013, 07:33 PM
Sens Mile

vCash: 500
Does Anyone Else Fear Silfverberg Will Become Our Kadri?

Read the post before making comparisons.

At this point I do kind of fear that Silfverberg will get the Kadri treatment from the fans and the media. When the season started everyone expected Silfverberg to start on fire, and as many should of expected, it is taking the Silver Surfer awhile to acclimate to the NHL. If Greening sticks on the 1st line and Alfredsson comes back to the 2nd line, I would not be shocked if Silver Surfer gets sent down. I believe that there would be no issues if he is sent down for a little more seasoning.

Now what I fear is that the media will get on his case for not performing to potential unrealistic expectations (IE: Kadri). While there has not been an indication of that happening with the media and fans, we know that the Ottawa media can change at the drop of a dime. I hate the situation Toronto has put on Kadri, the over zealous expectations, and hope that things can be realistic moving foward for Silfverberg. That or he can put the puck in the net a little more.

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:36 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
When's the last time you seen Kadri block a shot that resulted into a goal?

Problem about Kadri is that he is only offense. Silfverberg plays a full 200 foot game and therefore is useful in all situations, even played some PK for Ottawa.

Invalid comparison and we won't be sending him down. Silfverberg has looked WAY better than Lats.

By the way, how many Senators do you know that could pull of the move he did that just skimmed Fluery's pads. That goes in and this thread doesn't exist and instead another would in it's place how Silfverberg is our saviour.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:37 PM
JustinYS

I think the Ottawa media should have dropped expectations as soon as he came over. He's going to be a good player but is no star by any means. That's just how I see it.

JustinYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
When's the last time you seen Kadri block a shot that resulted into a goal?

Problem about Kadri is that he is only offense. Silfverberg plays a full 200 foot game and therefore is useful in all situations, even played some PK for Ottawa.

Invalid comparison and we won't be sending him down. Silfverberg has looked WAY better than Lats.

By the way, how many Senators do you know that could pull of the move he did that just skimmed Fluery's pads. That goes in and this thread doesn't exist.
I am comparing expectations and not ability

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:38 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

He's met all my expectations. The people who were predicting the Calder were out of their mother loving tree. Looks really good so far and is getting better. I see a lot of Jere Lehtinen in him.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:43 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
How many points did he have in his first 10 AHL games?

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Ive just seen highlights from Sweden and read reports from Bingo and projections on this forum.

Based on draft position and initial development. This is what I expected.

After hearing all the MVP, next Alfie, Calder, future captain talk. Plus Throwing him on the top line in the middle of a playoff series that we were leading. Im a little dissapointed in what Ive seen. He will certainly get better with time but this is reminiscent of the overhyping of Rundblad.

He plays a solid game so I wouldnt expect him to be sent down anytime soon.

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Deku Scrub
Stay Strong Murray

vCash: 3900
He's been playing fine. Give him some more time and he'll start putting up the points.

Deku Scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:46 PM
General Granny*

I told you people to temper your expectations, you over hyped the **** out of Rundblad, Filatov and now doing it with Silver.

He's going to be a good player but its going to take a while for him to get there.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:47 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
I've always said I'd be thrilled if he eventually became a 25-25 guy with great 3 zone play. Never really thought he'd be a star in the NHL.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:47 PM
enviro61

I have no issue with his play. After Rundblad, I tempered my expectations for players who come out of the SEL with high expectations. I like his play a lot; better defensively than I anticipated

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
He's met all my expectations. The people who were predicting the Calder were out of their mother loving tree. Looks really good so far and is getting better. I see a lot of Jere Lehtinen in him.
He's a real solid prospect but I see more offensive potential in Stone and Zibanejad. But that isn't to take anything away from Silfverberg, he will be a real solid player. I see him as becoming an elite 2nd liner in a few years.

IMO Silfverberg has been playing great, he has showed a much higher compete level than I expected. He battles hard for loose pucks is willing to engage physically and almost scored a beauty of a goal tonight.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:50 PM
TSA0402

It seems like the only person who thinks he fails expectations is you. If you can't understand what Silfverberg has brought thus far, you should try lawn bowling.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:50 PM
FlapjackSilver

I wish I had more hands to palm my face with.

FlapjackSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:52 PM
Orr123

I've had ZERO issues with Silfverberg.
And I don't think the team does either.

As long as he continues to work hard, he will stay. People here seem to overrate new players a bit. But I completely expected this play from Silfverberg, and have been impressed. Although I think he looks better on the second line, than the third.

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:52 PM
Gil Gunderson

He's been pretty good, met my expectations.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

Nobody's going to know for a long time, and that's it. Still only 22. Just don't want him to become anybody's Daigle.

Vikes88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:59 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Silf will be a two way forward with offencive upside. He'll put in 30 goal seasons but he's also going to be bailing us out with blocked shots, hustling back to break up a 2 on 1, and getting the puck after Spetsa turns it over. He's the type of guy that does the little things you need to win hockey games.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:00 PM
R2010

Better than I expected. Much better possession skills. Not very often do you see rookies (nowmatter the age) who keep your attention consistently during a game.

R2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes88 View Post
Nobody's going to know for a long time, and that's it. Still only 22. Just don't want him to become anybody's Daigle.
Impossible since Silfverberg didn't go 1st overall and wasn't considered the next great NHLer.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
He's a real solid prospect but I see more offensive potential in Stone and Zibanejad. But that isn't to take anything away from Silfverberg, he will be a real solid player. I see him as becoming an elite 2nd liner in a few years.

IMO Silfverberg has been playing great, he has showed a much higher compete level than I expected. He battles hard for loose pucks is willing to engage physically and almost scored a beauty of a goal tonight.
Yep. Silf isn't really a traditional top line player. He's more of a complementary player on a top line. He's got the shot and smarts to be up there but his willingness to do the grunt work will keep him there. You can put this guy on any line in any role and he'll get it done for you. Definitely a keeper imo.

I'm surprised to see this type of negative toned type of thread after the game he had tonight. I was hoping to see him in the shootout. He picked apart a lot of goalies in the old skills comp last season in the SEL.

He's only going to get better folks.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
Silf will be a two way forward with offencive upside. He'll put in 30 goal seasons but he's also going to be bailing us out with blocked shots, hustling back to break up a 2 on 1, and getting the puck after Spetsa turns it over. He's the type of guy that does the little things you need to win hockey games.
Who are you and what have you done to Main?

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:04 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Yep. Silf isn't really a traditional top line player. He's more of a complementary player on a top line. He's got the shot and smarts to be up there but his willingness to do the grunt work will keep him there. You can put this guy on any line in any role and he'll get it done for you. Definitely a keeper imo.

I'm surprised to see this type of negative toned type of thread after the game he had tonight. I was hoping to see him in the shootout. He picked apart a lot of goalies in the old skills comp last season in the SEL.

He's only going to get better folks.
The negativity overall with some of the Sens fans baffles me. Are we expecting Silfverberg to already have scored 5 goals?

I can expect such reactions for Leaf and Oiler fans.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:05 PM
CR15

I think he has been getting better each game and looks like you can see confidence growing... outside of the ppl on here that have a creepy obsession with any Sens prospect from Sweden thinking their the second coming I have not really seen any outrageous expectations.

CR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:06 PM
Northern Neighbour

He's still needs more time to adjust to the speed of the game. His decision-making is still a bit slow, where he's holding on to the puck a bit too long, which allows the defencemen to get on him quickly. His puckhandling skills aren't what I expected them to be, as he has difficulties handling the puck in tight quarters.

He does have a great release. He'll need to learn how to find the open spots in the offensive zone so that he can get opportunities to shoot the puck. That's where his niche likely will be in the NHL - as a scorer.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote