HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Tanking/Rebuilding/Selling at Deadline Thread 2.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2013, 07:58 PM
  #451
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
However, we should not expect Eller to get 50 points from the 3rd line.
It's not about points, everyone knows that if Eller gets better wingers, chances are that he'll get more points.

You use the time spent on the 3rd line to round up his game, learn. Once he has shown improvement, more than just a few glimpses of his offensive potential, THEN you start trying him on one of the top lines.

ECWHSWI is online now  
Old
01-26-2013, 08:06 PM
  #452
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Galchenyuk has been given a spot. 13 minutes a night with decent linemates. I don't think they'll bench him if he makes one error.


A good example. Desharnais was given the opportunity to replace Gomez because Gomez was injured. What if Gomez had not been injured? Injuries come and go, sometimes you have a lot, sometimes you have less. Relying on injuries to develop young players like Desharnais is not an optimal way to develop a team, as it introduces a lot of risk.

Look at Eller for example. He'll be given his opportunity if Plekanec suffers a major injury. If not? He'll be a bust. That's not an optimal development strategy.


Nothing is being handed. They still earn a spot so to speak by excelling at their previous position, for example Galchenyuk dominating the OHL.

However, we should not expect Eller to get 50 points from the 3rd line.
So does Galchenyuk develop better playing 13min with decent linemates, or does he develop better playing 20min with below average linemates?

Emelin and Diaz played a few too many minutes with weak linemates. I think they would have developed better with 2-3 less minutes a game with a better partner which Markov would've allowed.

If Gomez had not been injured I think Desharnais would've replaced him anyways. Perhaps not quite as soon but it would've happened. He was playing better than Gomez, that will win the coach over sooner or later. As for Eller, I'm a big fan of his but he bears some responsibility too, he needs to force the coach to play him more. It's not about waiting for an injury it's about playing good enough that the coach gives you a bit more responsibility, then playing even better with that extra opportunity. Force the coaches hand! I'm not expecting 50 points, but 28 points doesn't exactly scream he's ready for top-6 either.

Sorinth is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 08:07 PM
  #453
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
It's not about points, everyone knows that if Eller gets better wingers, chances are that he'll get more points.

You use the time spent on the 3rd line to round up his game, learn. Once he has shown improvement, more than just a few glimpses of his offensive potential, THEN you start trying him on one of the top lines.
Hopefully you're right.

Another good example is Avtsin in the AHL. Not only is he not being given the chance, but the organization keeps going out of its way to deny him a chance. Out of the blue they have added Tenute, Chaput, and now Murovich to the Bulldogs roster, all to keep AVtsin on the bench.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 08:12 PM
  #454
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
So does Galchenyuk develop better playing 13min with decent linemates, or does he develop better playing 20min with below average linemates?
It really depends. In the case of PK Subban for example, he was thrust into a top-4 role when playing against Pittsburgh and Washington, and flew with it. We'll see what Galchenyuk can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
and Diaz played a few too many minutes with weak linemates. I think they would have developed better with 2-3 less minutes a game with a better partner which Markov would've allowed.
Hard to say they would have developed better, they seem to be doing ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
If Gomez had not been injured I think Desharnais would've replaced him anyways. Perhaps not quite as soon but it would've happened. He was playing better than Gomez, that will win the coach over sooner or later. As for Eller, I'm a big fan of his but he bears some responsibility too, he needs to force the coach to play him more. It's not about waiting for an injury it's about playing good enough that the coach gives you a bit more responsibility, then playing even better with that extra opportunity. Force the coaches hand! I'm not expecting 50 points, but 28 points doesn't exactly scream he's ready for top-6 either.
28 points for his minutes, role, Corsi Rel QoC, zone starts, pp time, etc is actually pretty good. I don't think it's realistic to expect much more.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 08:20 PM
  #455
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Hopefully you're right.

Another good example is Avtsin in the AHL. Not only is he not being given the chance, but the organization keeps going out of its way to deny him a chance. Out of the blue they have added Tenute, Chaput, and now Murovich to the Bulldogs roster, all to keep AVtsin on the bench.
I haven't followed Avtsin that closely, but it looks like maybe they brought him too the AHL too soon (19 years old), he lost confidence and never got it back. I would say he needs to play at a level where he can dominate, get his confidence back, and then move up to the next level.

Sorinth is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 08:37 PM
  #456
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
It really depends. In the case of PK Subban for example, he was thrust into a top-4 role when playing against Pittsburgh and Washington, and flew with it. We'll see what Galchenyuk can do.
PK's development curve is off the charts, that's not the norm it's the exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Hard to say they would have developed better, they seem to be doing ok.
Agreed it's not cut and dry. But it's like teaching someone to swim by throwing them into the deep end. Sure some might learn to swim really fast, but it wouldn't be my method of choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
28 points for his minutes, role, Corsi Rel QoC, zone starts, pp time, etc is actually pretty good. I don't think it's realistic to expect much more.
There's nothing wrong with 28 points, I would say it's average. But just some comparables. Plekanec was producing at 0.43 PPG before being promoted, Desharnais was at 0.51 PPG (Had lots of PP time), Eller is only at 0.35. I would like to see around a 35point pace like Plekanec was at. Eller is close but just not there yet. By the way I hate that Therrien benched him, that is idiotic.

Sorinth is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 09:15 PM
  #457
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
PK's development curve is off the charts, that's not the norm it's the exception.
He was drafted in 2007 and began his career in the 2010 playoffs. Is that really off the charts?

I remember that playoff series against Washington. The media wasn't just talking about 2007 draft pick PK Subban. 2008 draft pick John Carlson was comparably impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Agreed it's not cut and dry. But it's like teaching someone to swim by throwing them into the deep end. Sure some might learn to swim really fast, but it wouldn't be my method of choice.
Let's not forget that Diaz and Emelin were in their mid 20s and had been playing pro for years. It's not like they're coming in from the WHL as 18 year-olds.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 09:49 PM
  #458
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
He was drafted in 2007 and began his career in the 2010 playoffs. Is that really off the charts?

I remember that playoff series against Washington. The media wasn't just talking about 2007 draft pick PK Subban. 2008 draft pick John Carlson was comparably impressive.
Yes going from Juniors to starring in the playoffs and then being a #1 D with only 1 AHL season is very rare. Subban isn't the only player whose done it but it's not a normal development curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Let's not forget that Diaz and Emelin were in their mid 20s and had been playing pro for years. It's not like they're coming in from the WHL as 18 year-olds.
True having played pro for a number of years should lessen the negative impacts, but the principle is still sound. Don't put your players in situations for which they are not ready/can't handle.

Sorinth is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 11:38 PM
  #459
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post
If Markov wasn't injured, we wouldn't have traded for Kaberle, therefore Emelin and Diaz would likely have the same amount of ice time last year if Markov was healthy.
Good point. This is probably true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Wrong, Spacek was eating minutes comparable to what Kaberle ate, that's a null point.

Basically, if Markov had played 82 games for 22-24 minutes a night, we would not have played Chris Campoli for 43 games for 17 minutes a night. There would have been less ice time available for Emelin and Diaz, it's that simple.
Probably also true.

No matter how you slice it, Markov's ice time means less ice time for somebody else. Is it going to be less for PK? No. It's going to be less for the kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
The math still says they get ice time considering there were so many injuries we had to deal with on defense. And who says they wouldn't be playing on a pairing with either of PK or Markov.... kind of like EXACTLY what is happening right now? You have no way of knowing what kind of ice time they would have had.

Once again, having Markov in the lineup last year is nothing but good for both the young defensemen and the team as a whole.
Right now they're benefitting from no PK.

And again, you keep trying to make it completely black or white... saying it's "nothing but good" just isn't correct.


Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 01-26-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is online now  
Old
01-26-2013, 11:44 PM
  #460
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
It's not that simple. Playing 12-15min a night alongside Markov would've been better for their development then 18min a night next to Kaberle and getting scored on constantly.
Those guys weren't going to play alongside Markov to begin with.

Lafleurs Guy is online now  
Old
01-27-2013, 01:39 AM
  #461
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Those guys weren't going to play alongside Markov to begin with.
How do you figure? Most people assumed a Markov - Emelin pairing was inevitable, especially early on when Emelin was still learning English. Once people started getting injured Emelin and Diaz were often either the 3rd or 4th defenceman so they would've played with Markov, PK, or Gorges, either way that's better than Kaberle.

Sorinth is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 05:12 AM
  #462
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post

Agreed it's not cut and dry. But it's like teaching someone to swim by throwing them into the deep end. Sure some might learn to swim really fast, but it wouldn't be my method of choice.
Sink or swim is in fact my method of choice. This is the NHL, not the girl scouts. It is up to every grown man 18 and over to fight his way into this league.

Sh-it line mates? Too bad. Make lemonade with lemons.

I am increasingly concerned about Eller. He is not doing what it takes to earn a top 6 NHL spot. I don't care about details, linemates, and time on ice.

With every support possible, professional management and coaching, fantastic facilities and equipment, very good training and injury support, and Therrien supporting him today:

Earn your spot. This is Eller's last chance.

We are so soft on our prospects. It's a joke.

Tremblay did not need coddling. He skated his ass off and scored goals, ugly goals. He performed.

Lambert never said a word, he just became a superb power winger and did his job, at a very young age.

Flower sucked it up and worked on his game, after they turned the lights off at the Forum, he kept shooting at the net, night after night. No one changed his diaper.

Risebrough did not need bed time stories.

Larry did not need someone making sure he did not get pissed on Crescent street. He went into the Spectrum and crushed Philly players instantly. Hello, I am here.

BO arrived, and crushed guys every single night to earn his spot.

Ask more of our prospects. They can't cut it by age 23? Too late.


Last edited by bsl: 01-27-2013 at 05:32 AM.
bsl is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 06:41 AM
  #463
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,466
vCash: 500
BSL, I disagree.

Did you watch Djokovic vs Murray tonight? I did. Two players who are effectively number 1 and number 2, and for years and years they were a distant, very distant, number 3 and number 4. People wondered if they would ever be as good as Federer or Nadal, or if they would be eclipsed by some other up and come first. Didn't happen, they kept working hard. 2 years ago Djokovic began to completely dominate, and 0.5 years ago Murray began to completely dominate.

Within hockey, many players took their time to become great. Henrik Sedin, born in 1980, didn't have a good season until 2005-06, so that's over a quarter century. He later won an Art Ross and a Hart. Pavel Datsyuk, born in 1978, didn't have a really good season until 2003-04, that's also 25 years. And so on and so forth. Each development curve is different, which is we need to be careful when evaluating young players, and we need to look at the details, factors such as roles and ice time.

In the case of Eller it's not as though we're carying a burden right now in order to develop him, as would be the case if we put Yannick Weber on the PP for example. Eller is very effective at what he's being asked to do, he's a fantastic third line center, he did very well on the PK last year. Our PK was the second best in the league last year, and it was equally good when Eller was on or off the ice. He did this while carrying bad players like Rene Bourque on his line.

However, he needs to step up, we'd like him to step up, but he can't hit a home run unless we let him go to the plate.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 09:04 AM
  #464
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
How do you figure? Most people assumed a Markov - Emelin pairing was inevitable, especially early on when Emelin was still learning English. Once people started getting injured Emelin and Diaz were often either the 3rd or 4th defenceman so they would've played with Markov, PK, or Gorges, either way that's better than Kaberle.
You won't get any argument from me on Kaberle man.

Lafleurs Guy is online now  
Old
01-27-2013, 09:09 AM
  #465
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Sink or swim is in fact my method of choice. This is the NHL, not the girl scouts. It is up to every grown man 18 and over to fight his way into this league.

Sh-it line mates? Too bad. Make lemonade with lemons.

I am increasingly concerned about Eller. He is not doing what it takes to earn a top 6 NHL spot. I don't care about details, linemates, and time on ice.

With every support possible, professional management and coaching, fantastic facilities and equipment, very good training and injury support, and Therrien supporting him today:

Earn your spot. This is Eller's last chance.

We are so soft on our prospects. It's a joke.

Tremblay did not need coddling. He skated his ass off and scored goals, ugly goals. He performed.

Lambert never said a word, he just became a superb power winger and did his job, at a very young age.

Flower sucked it up and worked on his game, after they turned the lights off at the Forum, he kept shooting at the net, night after night. No one changed his diaper.

Risebrough did not need bed time stories.

Larry did not need someone making sure he did not get pissed on Crescent street. He went into the Spectrum and crushed Philly players instantly. Hello, I am here.

BO arrived, and crushed guys every single night to earn his spot.

Ask more of our prospects. They can't cut it by age 23? Too late.
Problem for Eller is that by all accounts Therrien didn't like him before he even showed up. That's bad news and it's tough to prove yourself when you're sitting on the bench. Personally, I'm of the mindset that we should be throwing this guy a ton of ice time. See what he can do with it. If its nothing then we move on. But if you're not giving the guy a chance, how can you know what he's got to offer?

Lafleurs Guy is online now  
Old
01-27-2013, 09:10 AM
  #466
pine
Registered User
 
pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,005
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
He was drafted in 2007 and began his career in the 2010 playoffs. Is that really off the charts?

I remember that playoff series against Washington. The media wasn't just talking about 2007 draft pick PK Subban. 2008 draft pick John Carlson was comparably impressive.


Let's not forget that Diaz and Emelin were in their mid 20s and had been playing pro for years. It's not like they're coming in from the WHL as 18 year-olds.
Which would have been ours, had management not decided to deal the pick for Alex Tanguay.

pine is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 11:18 AM
  #467
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
BSL, I disagree.

Did you watch Djokovic vs Murray tonight? I did. Two players who are effectively number 1 and number 2, and for years and years they were a distant, very distant, number 3 and number 4. People wondered if they would ever be as good as Federer or Nadal, or if they would be eclipsed by some other up and come first. Didn't happen, they kept working hard. 2 years ago Djokovic began to completely dominate, and 0.5 years ago Murray began to completely dominate.

Within hockey, many players took their time to become great. Henrik Sedin, born in 1980, didn't have a good season until 2005-06, so that's over a quarter century. He later won an Art Ross and a Hart. Pavel Datsyuk, born in 1978, didn't have a really good season until 2003-04, that's also 25 years. And so on and so forth. Each development curve is different, which is we need to be careful when evaluating young players, and we need to look at the details, factors such as roles and ice time.

In the case of Eller it's not as though we're carying a burden right now in order to develop him, as would be the case if we put Yannick Weber on the PP for example. Eller is very effective at what he's being asked to do, he's a fantastic third line center, he did very well on the PK last year. Our PK was the second best in the league last year, and it was equally good when Eller was on or off the ice. He did this while carrying bad players like Rene Bourque on his line.

However, he needs to step up, we'd like him to step up, but he can't hit a home run unless we let him go to the plate.
Very good post, and very well said. I agree completely; each player has a different development curve and all we hope to do is develop them to be the best they can be.

JohnLennon is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 07:50 PM
  #468
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Which would have been ours, had management not decided to deal the pick for Alex Tanguay.
I don't know how reliable those reports are.

Timmins is assigned a lot of retroactive clairevoyance on these boards, I have read the following:

- He wanted to draft Carlson in 2008 if the Tanguay trade had not gone through.
- He wanted to draft Giroux in 2006 but was overruled.
- He begged Gainey not to trade McDonagh.

With that said, he was my choice to be made GM last year, and he is still my choice to succeed Bergevin.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 02:24 AM
  #469
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,881
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I don't know how reliable those reports are.

Timmins is assigned a lot of retroactive clairevoyance on these boards, I have read the following:

- He wanted to draft Carlson in 2008 if the Tanguay trade had not gone through.
- He wanted to draft Giroux in 2006 but was overruled.
- He begged Gainey not to trade McDonagh.

With that said, he was my choice to be made GM last year, and he is still my choice to succeed Bergevin.
reactive clairvoyance, nice phrase

people do like to shift the blame depending who it is they are trying to take a **** on at the time, be it timmins himself, gainey, gauthier, or just to apologize for timmins' ****ups

read an article with timmins in which he said he was not told or forewarned of the mcdonaugh trade so it came as a shock to him. the giroux non-draft was a ****up, plain and simple. grant mccagg told the story on this board many times as one of our american scouts completely going to bat for fischer, and so we went... and carlson, well im sure you can find plenty of headscouts who "would have drafted this guy if [...]".

also was my choice for GM. hopefully he won't be passed over next time.

MasterDecoy is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 02:52 AM
  #470
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Problem for Eller is that by all accounts Therrien didn't like him before he even showed up. That's bad news and it's tough to prove yourself when you're sitting on the bench. Personally, I'm of the mindset that we should be throwing this guy a ton of ice time. See what he can do with it. If its nothing then we move on. But if you're not giving the guy a chance, how can you know what he's got to offer?
wrong.

ECWHSWI is online now  
Old
01-28-2013, 02:58 AM
  #471
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Ask more of our prospects. They can't cut it by age 23? Too late.
said Craig Button before releasing Martin St. Louis from the Calgary Flames

No Team Needed is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:18 AM
  #472
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,881
vCash: 1707
from the old out of town thread, figure it would fit better here

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic
I think DAChampion was suggesting to Lafleurs guy (big fan of rebuilding through tanking or similar) that the Blues are a good example of not using that strategy (i.e., abject tanking, not retooling). LG then replied that in fact their model does follow his since Pietrangelo is integral to their success.

Hopefully I clarified that correctly. Your to decide whether it's the trades that made the difference or their draft position. I tend to lean towards retooling and good trades along with a Chucky-like drafting. Thus (and I'm totally serious), I think we (Habs) are finally set to be a real true contender in future years. I know this was about St. Louis, but holy crap I'm just blown away by Galchenyuk and how he is going to be the best Habs player skater since our last Cup and IMO an NHL superstar (I swear I do not get as hyped about prospects, ever, and if he need time and junior, fine, but he will be). Gallagher is a boss too.
blues drafting and trades since '03 (some might be off since i'm sleepy as hell, but the picks and players they acquired are accurate). important to note that they got their first line center way back in '03, before john Davidson (hired in june '06) and the retool

-=2011=-
no first round pick

-=2010=-
14th overall - schwartz
16th overall - tarasenko
pick acquired from ottawa for david rundblad (who would eventually be flipped for kyle turris by ottawa)
-=2009=-
17th overall - david rundblad
traded to ottawa for 2010 first round pick (tarasenko)
-=2008=-
4th overall - pietrangelo

-=2007=-
13th overall - lars eller
pick acquired from san jose (from toronto) for 9th overall (logan couture), 2nd round pick (palushaj), 3rd pick (ian schultz)
traded to montreal for halak
18th overall - ian cole
acquired from calgary for 1st round pick (24th overall backlund) and 3rd round pick
26th overall - david perron
44th overall - aaron palushaj
pick acquired from san jose (see above)
trade to montreal for matt d'agostini
-=2006=-
1st overall - erik johnson
24th overall - berglund
pick acquired from devils for 1st round pick (30thoverall), 3rd round pick. pick was originally acquired by trading doug weight to carolina
-=2005=-
24th overall - TJ oshie

-=2004=-
nobodies

-=2003=-
62nd overall - david backes
148th overall - lee stepniak
traded to toronto for alex steen and carlo 'splody bones' Colaiacovo
other notable trades:
- andy mcdonald.
- Kevin Shattenkirk and Chris Stewart for johnson and jay mcclement

what i see is a bubble team that moved up the draft when they wanted to, moved down the draft when they could, got an extra 1st round pick whenever possible, and some very keen trading (mcdonald, d'agostini, halak, steen and so on), but a playoff bubble team regardless.

and let's not forget the biggest reason for the blues success: Ken mother****ing Hitchcock.

even last year before he got hired as head coach, they were going nowhere fast. you don't need to have a long memory, just remember last season. then, enter superken and his 450 feet of non-trapping defensively responsible play: they go from basement to top dogs in the west in the span of weeks culminating in a deep playoff run.

anyways, i obviously was quite bored, enjoy ^


Last edited by MasterDecoy: 01-28-2013 at 10:29 AM.
MasterDecoy is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 09:51 AM
  #473
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,685
vCash: 500
The jury's still out on our play this season from my perspective:
-Markov has 4 out of 6 of our PPGs and is scoring at a 40% mark
-Our #1 line isn't producing
-Pacioretty is injured for 3-4 weeks
-We've had a lot of rest so far this season while other teams haven't. This'll change when we start playing more back-to-backs and 3 games in 4 nights.

The one thing I love is we're finally playing with some brute force.

Ginu is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 04:31 PM
  #474
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
what i see is a bubble team that moved up the draft when they wanted to, moved down the draft when they could, got an extra 1st round pick whenever possible, and some very keen trading (mcdonald, d'agostini, halak, steen and so on), but a playoff bubble team regardless.

and let's not forget the biggest reason for the blues success: Ken mother****ing Hitchcock.

even last year before he got hired as head coach, they were going nowhere fast. you don't need to have a long memory, just remember last season. then, enter superken and his 450 feet of non-trapping defensively responsible play: they go from basement to top dogs in the west in the span of weeks culminating in a deep playoff run.

anyways, i obviously was quite bored, enjoy ^
Blues had a couple of top picks. One who they traded away for a big part of their core. They made a trade for a young goalie as well. Their other top pick is their best player.

And I also mentioned Hitch... no doubt he's a huge factor.

As for them being a rebuild, yeah they are. But for the first time in a long time... so are we.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
The jury's still out on our play this season from my perspective:
-Markov has 4 out of 6 of our PPGs and is scoring at a 40% mark
-Our #1 line isn't producing
-Pacioretty is injured for 3-4 weeks
-We've had a lot of rest so far this season while other teams haven't. This'll change when we start playing more back-to-backs and 3 games in 4 nights.

The one thing I love is we're finally playing with some brute force.
All very true and we've had the easiest schedule in the league. One other thing we've got going for us though is Carey Price. That guy could get us to the playoffs by himself. I saw us as a bubble team at the start of the year and still feel that way. Getting off to a good start is a big plus though esp in a strike shortened season.

Assuming PK is staying, the real question is: Have we done enough to assemble a cup winning team for the future. Maybe we have. We have key people at three separate positions. We've got a good scoring winger and we've got a good crop of young defensemen coming up.

Personally, I'd rather us still stack the deck with prospects so that there's no doubt but with Galchenyuk staying and playing with with Gallagher that might be moot. Then again if you look at our schedule it gets brutal with the amount of games we play later on in the season so who knows? We've still got Markov who's knee could go at any second and we've got Max who's out four weeks. On the flipside PK could come back and Markov is playing better than ever and so is Price...

Your guess is as good as mine. Still not a fan of our forwards though, esp when Max isn't in the lineup.

Lafleurs Guy is online now  
Old
01-28-2013, 04:34 PM
  #475
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,213
vCash: 500
chances are, that before this thread goes to v3.0, some of you will realise that pretty much every team is some sort of rebuild...

ECWHSWI is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.