HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus/Minus Thread | Penguins 2, Senators 1 (SO)

Old
01-27-2013, 09:12 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Bylsma: Hmmm, Strait is on the top pair in NYI with Streit, i wonder if i use Lovejoy on the top pair with Letang will make Lovejoy look solid? i'll give him 20 games.
That . . . is . . . so . . . ****** . . . up.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Dacks

Sitting four rows from the glass, sometimes your perspective is a little off, but I agree with what most people here said. I thought Sid looked fantastic, especially first period, he had a few shifts where he came in with speed, the defense backed right off, and he found someone open for a great shot. Unfortunately, one of those teammates was Kunitz, who somehow fanned despite being centre slot with all the time in the world. He has really been the worst Pen so far, at least compared to expectations. Hope it's just rust...

Malkin looks like a beast one shift, and then has that sloppy play for a goal the other way. Frustrating at times. Between him and Sid, they haven't quite learned how to maximize the good while minimizing the bad. They both had some terrible, unnecessary turnovers.

Fleury and Anderson both were great tonight.

And while I hate shootouts in principle, seeing them live and up-close is pretty damn fun!

Dacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1113
+Fleury.
+Martin
+Engelland
+Shootout goals

-PP
-Kunitz

Additional thoughts:

We're a grinding team, despite being blessed with Malkin and Crosby. It just seems so unnatural. It would be like a team in the 80's having both Gretzky and Lemieux as their 1A and 1B centers, but having to play a grinding game in order to win.

I'm starting to know what it felt like being a Devils fan in the late 90's/early 2000's. Sure it's great to see the team winning some games, but man are they kind of boring while doing it.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:14 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
+ Great game from Martin, Orpik and Engelland. Niskanen started out splendidly also before his injury.
+ Duper
+ Shoot out scoring. As solid as Anderson looked throughout the game, he got straight up abused by our Tripletta of Terrors.
+ Vitale, Adams, Tangradi and Glass played their roles well today.
+ Sid
= Malkin was by far our most dangerous offensive player, but he must be better than those mistakes. The awful one in OT annoyed me the most, but whereas I could kinda understand the giveaway pass being also due to the line change, he cannot just whiff at Spezza in the neutral zone.
=/+ Flower. Not a big fan of the rebound on the goal, but he more than made up for it with some good saves. Needed a big dose of luck on that bad angle shot though and almost gave up a game winner on another massive rebound off another collectable shot to his chest. Two goals against in the shoot out on top means I cannot really go with the plus as I initially wanted.

- Lovejoy was noticeably poor on most every shift. Please play Despres and Bortuzzo together on the third pairing during Niskanen's absence Dan. Please.
- Sutter. Really bad game. Was likely worse than Lovejoy. Rivalled by Kunitz who I've never seen play this terrible three games in a row.
- Letang was pretty poor 5 on 5 not least because of having a day where the puck seemed a ping pong ball on his stick, but he was obscenely bad on the PP as he botched almost everything the 1st unit did by his lonesome. The structure of the PP... to the extent that it exists... doesn't help though.

On that note....
- PP. Colossal minus One cannot even describe how pathetic our PP was today. Only SH goals against could have made it more putrid and that was close enough.

Bylsma related:
I still see us chipping it up the wall on the break out virtually every single time, but at least today for the majority there was support there and more coordination as far as coming up together as a group.
The PP is ultimately his responsibility and the first unit has been a major problems in all five games so far. PK looks pretty good though and did again today.
I greatly dislike the look our offense has. We had two or three good offensive shifts the entire match (not counting rushes off of turnovers such as the one that resulted in Malkin hitting iron) and the rest looks like hoping for a fortuitous break.

Thought the game itself was extremely sloppy, but I'll be happy with the two points at least
Great summary . . .

Old
01-27-2013, 09:17 PM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

Sutter didn't have a good game, but I'm giving him a little more leeway than most because he's a young guy adjusting to a new team still. He'll round into form.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyllama View Post
+Martin
+Fleury

-What is this offensive system. No puck possession. Spacing on cycle, etc. Just blah.
-Glass / Malkin / Neal line. Just wow.
-Lovejoy. I love he just stood in the middle of a two on one and didn't even pick a guy.
-Any time we pass or receive the puck.
--Any time we pass or receive the puck.
---Anything Kunitz does on the ice. Pass, Carry, Shoot, all bad.

Hopefully, there is a LOT of rust.
I get that Lovejoy isn't the sexiest defenseman but just don't toss his name out just to pick on the guy.

I think he's jumping up into plays a little bit to much but thats about it. IMO all of the defensemen are to active in Disco's system. It just leads to scrambling when things don't go perfectly.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:23 PM
sexyllama

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I'd give Malkin a minus for 2/3 of the game, but Malkin and Neal looked better with Glass in the third period of this game than they've looked with anyone else all season. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you'll find yourself in a small minority on this one.

EDIT: Just looked. Malkin was credited with 4 takeaways in this game, and I'm pretty sure all of them came in the third . . . with Glass out there with him. He's not a solution, but he's better than any alternative, I think.
Uh, while they may have looked more disruptive... look at the shot count? After one good shift they did nothing close. Glass fumbled the puck multiple times trying to pass, etc. Love Glass, he just doesn't have the skills to be on that line. Sorry.

sexyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:24 PM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

He hasn't been mentioned much, but I'd throw Adams name onto the plus side. He gets a lot of flak on here but the truth is that he's played well to start the year. Very physical, lots of energy and arguably our best PKer so far.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:27 PM
sexyllama

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I get that Lovejoy isn't the sexiest defenseman but just don't toss his name out just to pick on the guy.

I think he's jumping up into plays a little bit to much but thats about it. IMO all of the defensemen are to active in Disco's system. It just leads to scrambling when things don't go perfectly.
Uh okay, even though that goal was Malkin's fault. Watch Lovejoy defend the trailer... or not. He did multiple things wrong on many instances. There was another 2 on 1 lob pass from Neil that caused a breakaway and he literally stood shaking in the middle. I remember Martin, Nisky, Engo, etc. doing really good things but none for Lovejoy.

sexyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:33 PM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Quote:
I'd give Malkin a minus for 2/3 of the game, but Malkin and Neal looked better with Glass in the third period of this game than they've looked with anyone else all season. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you'll find yourself in a small minority on this one.

EDIT: Just looked. Malkin was credited with 4 takeaways in this game, and I'm pretty sure all of them came in the third . . . with Glass out there with him. He's not a solution, but he's better than any alternative, I think.
I agree here, even though Glass should on paper be no where near a top 6... He did seem to create space for them or be able to hold the puck in... If Tangradi isn't going to be the legit power forward we need on this team this season. Maybe a poor mans power forward is the answer as the team is as a roster right now.

Give him a 2-3 cup of coffee on that line and see how it works out. They are producing on their own (Neal and Malkin)... So why not give it a try. It could not hurt, its a no cost option.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
He hasn't been mentioned much, but I'd throw Adams name onto the plus side. He gets a lot of flak on here but the truth is that he's played well to start the year. Very physical, lots of energy and arguably our best PKer so far.
Adams has played very well this year. He's one of the only players that has played great every game (Vitale, Martin, Neal, maybe Sid are the others)

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:39 PM
Al Smith

He drove down the center of the ice toward the net before Geno passed it to no one. Geno didn't get the puck deep, and Neal was back. Lovejoy was defending the cross ice pass that never came. I don't think HCDB will fault him for going to the net in that situation.

Al Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:45 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyllama View Post
Uh, while they may have looked more disruptive... look at the shot count? After one good shift they did nothing close. Glass fumbled the puck multiple times trying to pass, etc. Love Glass, he just doesn't have the skills to be on that line. Sorry.
No, he doesn't. He's just a less horrible fit than the alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
I agree here, even though Glass should on paper be no where near a top 6... He did seem to create space for them or be able to hold the puck in... If Tangradi isn't going to be the legit power forward we need on this team this season. Maybe a poor mans power forward is the answer as the team is as a roster right now.

Give him a 2-3 cup of coffee on that line and see how it works out. They are producing on their own (Neal and Malkin)... So why not give it a try. It could not hurt, its a no cost option.
Vegas has the over/under at 4 periods.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:46 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
Adams has played very well this year. He's one of the only players that has played great every game (Vitale, Martin, Neal, maybe Sid are the others)
Neal and Sid have played great every game?

Old
01-27-2013, 09:50 PM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

Certainly not Sid. He had a rough first two.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:51 PM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Neal and Sid have played great every game?
Yeah. Sid has been one of the more inconsistent forwards through the first handful of games.

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:06 PM
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams

Sid was very solid all around. But Kunitz is killing everything positive in that line. Dupuis does his job, but itīs not enough when Kunitz plays like this. Absolutely awful stuff.

Malkin was much better than last two games. Still not there, but he was focused. Had some excellent shifts and finally made some useful defensive plays as well. But still not there.

We need a winger badly. Without it, we donīt have a dominant Top6, itīs one piece away.

Martin is terrific. 30+ minutes of steady play. Iīm shocked, but is he really the same guy we know? Is it him?

Niskanen was even better than Martin until he got hurt. We have to pray for him. Props for the other guys (Engo, Brooksie), they were fighting without him.

Fleury

Sutterīs line was probably a biggest minus for me in this game. They create zero offense. Brandon had at least 3 bad turnovers in neutral zone, all very dangerous.

PP was terrible because of Letang. Kunitz has also no business being on that 1st unit, heīs pathetic right now.

Letang sucks offensively, but heīs at least doing his job defensively.

Tangradi looks very decent in that 4th line. I still donīt like him

Huge 2 points, Ottawa is a solid team and Anderson is a beast. But we found a way being down to a 5 d-men for 45 minutes, with one of them being Ben Lovejoy.

Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:47 PM
Penguinzilla

+ Malkin because he seems genuinely pissed that he's not scoring more. Which is good because when he gets pissed be plays great
+ Martin. WTF happened? He figured out to play again. I saw numerous plays where his hockey-sense was off the charts like it used to be.
+ Vitale. He was working the hardest, along with Dupius.
+Fleury played great
- Kunitz He need a wake up call and needs to start being great. He just loafs around like a ******.
- Letang. Dang, he's just... not doing what he can do
- Orpik. I know he blows offensively but there were numerous chances where he could have created some offense with simple plays. Every time he gets the puck it takes him forever to make a play, and by the time he does, there's no play to make.
- Bylsma. His obsession with putting Crosby with the players with no hockey sense (including Orpik on D) drives me nuts. And why not play Sutter more? He doesn't put good players in positions to succeed.

Penguinzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:07 PM
MonsterSurge

+ Engelland and Martin for saving the day
+ Fleury for playing like a brick wall
+ Joey V for being Joey V
+ Adams for bouncing Zack Smith's face off the boards
- Malkin
- Kunitz

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:11 PM
Fire Shero*

-to Ray Shero for failing year after year to bring respectable wingers to play with 71 and 87. It is simply unacceptable that Malkin and Neal has to play with Tanner Glass, he's a solid 4th liner, but that's it. Dupuis and Kunitz both have played horrible so far. Inexcusable at this point for Shero failing to surround the best 2 players in the game with at least respectable players. He's been the GM going on 7 years now.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:22 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Yada yada yada. I am sure Ray is sitting at home shaking in his shoe reading that you think his performance is unacceptable.

Oh and, welcome to the board.

Gallatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:37 PM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
Yada yada yada. I am sure Ray is sitting at home shaking in his shoe reading that you think his performance is unacceptable.

Oh and, welcome to the board.
Thanks for the warm welcoming. I am just tired of our super stars playing with below average players(besides James Neal).

Great game by fleury

Very good game Paul Martin

Eric Tangradi even got a shot on net. He seems more comfortable on the 4th line. But the last thing this team needs is another 4th liner. We have more than enough bottom 6 talent.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:43 PM
Sty1877

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
Thanks for the warm welcoming. I am just tired of our super stars playing with below average players(besides James Neal).

Great game by fleury

Very good game Paul Martin

Eric Tangradi even got a shot on net. He seems more comfortable on the 4th line. But the last thing this team needs is another 4th liner. We have more than enough bottom 6 talent.
Neal...Neal...is that the 40 goal scorer that Ray Shero acquired for a mid-tier defenseman in Goligoski?

Sty1877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:50 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

+ Martin. Yeah, he's still playing the 180 game from last year.
+ England / Letang for chasing down breakaways that could have easily lost us the game
+ Crosby. He didn't score, but man did he have some pretty opportunities. Guess this breaks his 3 game point streak
+ Shootout (Neal, Malkin, Crosby). Man does this team shine in the shootout. Granted, Anderson had the five hole the size of an elephant on Malkin's goal.
+ MAF. Great game. Looked solid. Defense helped for sure as well as a little luck (with the puck sitting behind him for like 5 seconds on the goal line )

+ / = Neal. He looked good at times. Great he scored, but seemed off at times as well.

= Malkin. Yeah, he set up a nice goal. Two of them in fact. Just, one of them was for the wrong team :-\. I mean, he's got to be more aware of his linemates. He really shouldn't be rusty either.

- Powerplay. Just wasn't clicking.
- Lovejoy. Yuck.
- Niskanen (not for his play, but for getting hurt - we NEED all our D players right now)
- Letang. Too many turnovers. His speed kept him from becoming a liability, but still didn't look great out there.

dr robbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:53 PM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sty1877 View Post
Neal...Neal...is that the 40 goal scorer that Ray Shero acquired for a mid-tier defenseman in Goligoski?
Call it a wash when Malkin and Neal play with Tanner Glass. Tanner Glass! It would be one thing if we had a bunch of injuries.

Dupuis is a good 3rd liner. A lot of this could have even avoided had Shero signed Semin this summer. It seems like our wingers get worse every year.

I can't tell you how much I miss the tk Staal Cooke line.

The pens are siting on all of this cap space. I hope shero is working on something.