HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are Leafs fans the worst in the NHL?

Old
01-27-2013, 07:42 PM
beauchamp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blader258 View Post
(...)

I really feel like the majority of people here are actually casual fans who don't really understand the game, nor do they understand a lot about building a hockey team. (...)
Served up on a tee.

But I'll refrain myself.

It really hurts to bite your own cheek that hard...

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Served up on a tee.

But I'll refrain myself.

What he says is true for 99.999% of the people on here. I doubt former NHL GM's post here.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Yes, we are. Because we support the worst crap.

To be serious, Hell no! Leafs fans deserve every right in the world to criticize this organisation with no limits for all the achievements in past decade.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Billy6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Umm, this team is young and has been drafting high. Unfortunately for all of us, Boston reaped the benefits of it.

I'm not talking about a quick fix. I'm talking about spending BIG MONEY on the nhl's BEST PLAYERS, not the second rate scrubs we've been landing. We had the resources and loopholes to toss some Ilya Kovalchuk money around. That much money, man, it's hard to pass up.
Yeah well they need to keep drafting high.

Again, you are in denial. The best players that you want the Leafs to sign don't want to play here.

And really who could blame them?

You are putting the cart before the horse my friend. You expect the Leafs the able to go out and attract free agents to build a core. That doesn't happen. You build a core through the draft and then supplement that core through trades and free agents.

Billy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
Yes, we are. Because we support the worst crap.

To be serious, Hell no! Leafs fans deserve every right in the world to criticize this organisation with no limits for all the achievements in past decade.
Try the better part of 50 years Dickheads like Damien Cox floated this garbage at least 10 years ago and now we have people who grew up reading this stuff actually believing it.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:16 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Yes, leaf fans are 100% the worst fans in the NHL.

But for entirely different reasons than what the OP is suggesting.

The 'good' leaf fans are the ones that are critical of the pathetic organization. Not the ones blindly defending it.

The leafs are the richest team in the league with dramatic financial advantages over a substantial amount of the competition (even with the cap), yet still have the longest cup AND playoff drought.

If the leafs had 'good' fans, EVERY thread on this forum would be negative. EVERY fan should be utterly irate, posting entirely in all caps, wih bolded lettering.

Fans should be booing the team the very SECOND the team steps on the ice, till the very moment they leave. Even when we score... Even when we win a game (I know it's rare), we should boo.

Good leaf fans would be throwing waffles on the ice every possible second. Not just at home, but on the road. W have such a big fan base that we could do this. We should make the entire sport unplayable due to waffles. We should throw waffles at players on the street, at the acc at all times, at the leafs bus, and at the players families.

These are things that "good" fans would do.

Unfortunately, Toronto is full of terrible fans who blindly cheer and make excuses for he inexcusable.
So yes... The leafs DEFINITELY have te worst fans in the NHL.

Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:18 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
We're at game 5. A little over a week in. At current we've had threads for.

1) Replacing the coach
2) Trading the captain/top defenseman
3) Trading the leading goal scorer
4) Questioning the JVR trade
5) Envying the worst team of the past 5 season
6) Blamed the new regime (Owners, GM, Coach, Roster) for previous failure

Before the season started (in October) we had

1) Kadri (our top forward prospect) is fat and a bust

Now I don't think all fans are the worst, but we easily have the lowest of the low. Don't believe me? Look around at any other teams forums. You'll be lucky to get a hit on half of these threads per team forum. Nowhere else in the NHL do fans consistently pit their players against hypothetical scenarios. There's absolutely no way to say who the Leafs would have drafted with the Kessel picks, yet it's debated as a certainty, as if it was a straight trade for Seguin/Hamilton/Knight.

Alot of people aren't involved in the starting of such mass hysteria but join in the threads because they're already made and a hot topic. To those I say, please step back off the ledge. But for those insisting on bringing people up there with them, just jump already. You're not going to change anything, and only succeeding in making people along for the ride miserable.

Time to aim the hyper-analysis at the fanbase.

Yes, some Leaf fans are over the top and overreact at the slightest thing. Many seem to think they are world renowned hockey experts who have all the answers. I swear, there is a segment of the Leafs' fan-base who, if the Leafs were to win the Cup in a seven game series, wouldn't be out celebrating with the rest of us because they would be immediately calling in to sports talk radio complaining that they should have won it in five games - and of course, they would have all of the answers as to how that could/should have been accomplished.

But there are also a great many Leafs fans who are perfectly reasonable, do not overreact, and who take a perfectly balanced view of things.

I think the biggest problem is that it is the first group that speaks out the most and thus taints the rest of the fan-base who appear guilty by association.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:21 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post

The leafs are the richest team in the league with dramatic financial advantages over a substantial amount of the competition (even with the cap), yet still have the longest cup AND playoff drought.

Ever heard of the salary cap?

Quote:
Fans should be booing the team the very SECOND the team steps on the ice, till the very moment they leave. Even when we score... Even when we win a game (I know it's rare), we should boo.
Oh yes, what a brilliant idea. How many players do you think would want to stay here if they were constantly booed, even when they scored or won? How many free agents do you think would want to sign here? Did you stop for even a second to think before you posted that crap?

Old
01-27-2013, 08:22 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post

Tell me about it...I did it while having breakfast yesterday.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:27 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
This makes no sense to me. How do the fans worsen because the Leafs have been turning out an utterly terrible product for almost a decade?

We should cheer when we lose?
If they are so bad why are you a fan?

Old
01-27-2013, 08:28 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Ever heard of the salary cap?

Oh yes, what a brilliant idea. How many players do you think would want to stay here if they were constantly booed, even when they scored or won? How many free agents do you think would want to sign here? Did you stop for even a second to think before you posted that crap?
Do you mean the salary cap that allows the leafs to spend up $16 million more than a substantial amount of the competition?
Ate you saying that 16 million freakin dollars isn't a substantial financial advantage? (never mind spending more than any other team in things like scouting, and he GM's supporting front office)

And I think that while some of my ideas are over the top, they are still MUCH more sane than blindly cheering for something that is so pathetically ****ing despicable.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:32 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshaw View Post
well obviously if we manage to win on tuesday, there will be multiple threads talking about first round playoff opponents and reimers acceptance speech into the hhof

i hate these boards but i cannot stay off, is that some sort of illness/addiction?
This exactly. After a loss I tend to stay away because you already know what you're gonna see. Just as I know after a couple wins certain people are oddly silent on here.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:32 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
People like bomber and myself are REAL fans who have supported the team for decades.

As REAL fans of the team, we are rightfully IRATE at the disastrous team management has created.

I realize it may hurt your feelings, but you are a BAD fan, and it's that precise complacency in leaf fans that has created such an apathetic ownership.

Think of it from the owners perspective... No matter how much they **** up, leaf fans like you will still blindly cheer and make excuses. No wonder this organization is what it is.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:33 PM
eyeball11

Probably the worst for bipolar chicken littles and drama queens, yes.

I'm not sure what's worse...that or people who naively believe that folks sitting at home are the reason for the shape of the team?

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:44 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
People like bomber and myself are REAL fans who have supported the team for decades.

As REAL fans of the team, we are rightfully IRATE at the disastrous team management has created.

I realize it may hurt your feelings, but you are a BAD fan, and it's that precise complacency in leaf fans that has created such an apathetic ownership.

Think of it from the owners perspective... No matter how much they **** up, leaf fans like you will still blindly cheer and make excuses. No wonder this organization is what it is.
Post of the year, and not for being spot-on.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:50 PM
NYjetsTOleafs
I'm Your Pushaaaa

such a negative forum lol but I love it. and in all honesty I mean, people make great points but we always jump the gun.

NYjetsTOleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Either that or we're the best fans in the league that we still pay attention to this mess of a team.
This

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:01 PM
colchar

Quote:
Do you mean the salary cap that allows the leafs to spend up $16 million more than a substantial amount of the competition?
Huh? The Leafs are under the same cap as the rest of the league. The Leafs have more money than other teams, but that does not mean there is a cap that allows them to spend $16 million more than a substantial amount of the competition as you claim. There are teams that choose to spend far less than the cap, but that still doesn't mean that the Leafs are allowed to spend more than others.

Remember, this isn't baseball and not every pro team can operate like the Yankees.

If you are talking about available cap space (which isn't entirely clear due to your atrocious grammar and sentence structure) then that is a different issue and one that cannot be judged until this summer when that cap space actually kicks in and they are able to spend on free agents.

Quote:
And I think that while some of my ideas are over the top, they are still MUCH more sane than blindly cheering for something that is so pathetically ****ing despicable.

No, your suggestion that Leafs players be booed even when they score or win was not sane in any way. In fact, it was completely and utterly moronic.

And seriously man, you might want to consider taking some Valium. Or a Midol.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:04 PM
colchar

Quote:

Wow, see my post above and take my advice with regards to Valium and/or Midol.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:18 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

The captain is not the top defenceman.

Pilky01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Huh? The Leafs are under the same cap as the rest of the league. The Leafs have more money than other teams, but that does not mean there is a cap that allows them to spend $16 million more than a substantial amount of the competition as you claim. There are teams that choose to spend far less than the cap, but that still doesn't mean that the Leafs are allowed to spend more than others.

Remember, this isn't baseball and not every pro team can operate like the Yankees.

If you are talking about available cap space (which isn't entirely clear due to your atrocious grammar and sentence structure) then that is a different issue and one that cannot be judged until this summer when that cap space actually kicks in and they are able to spend on free agents.

No, your suggestion that Leafs players be booed even when they score or win was not sane in any way. In fact, it was completely and utterly moronic.

And seriously man, you might want to consider taking some Valium. Or a Midol.
Wow...
I've talking all this time with someone that knows so little of hockey that he didn't even know there was a $16 million difference between the cap ceiling and basement.

Many Poor teams don't allow their GM's to spend too far above the basement, while the rich teams let their GM's spend right to the ceiling.

Please look this information up on Wikipedia or something before you respond.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Disgruntled observer

Old
01-27-2013, 09:42 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
this kind of mentality is crazy imo

just because you're disappointed at this disaster of a team doesn't mean you don't want to see them do well

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:39 PM
colchar

Quote:
Wow...
I've talking all this time with someone that knows so little of hockey that he didn't even know there was a $16 million difference between the cap ceiling and basement.
I am beginning to think that you are only partially literate. Everyone knows there is a difference between the cap floor and the cap ceiling. But that isn't what you said...what you said was "the salary cap that allows the leafs to spend up $16 million more than a substantial amount of the competition" and that is simply not true. Toronto is not allowed to spend $16 million more than a substantial amount of the competition - all teams are allowed to spend within the same cap parameters. If you had said that Toronto is able to spend more then you would have been correct but you did not say that, you said allowed which implies that there is one cap for Toronto and another cap for other teams. Don't get uppity with me just because you cannot form coherent sentences.

Quote:
Many Poor teams don't allow their GM's to spend too far above the basement, while the rich teams let their GM's spend right to the ceiling.
Really? Wow, thanks for the news flash! Is that really how it works?

Quote:
Please look this information up on Wikipedia or something before you respond.
Please learn to write at least semi-coherent sentences before you go getting all uppity. I'm not sure if you have the literacy skills to grasp what you actually said but go back and read your post again and then go look up the difference between the words 'allowed' and 'able'. Maybe then you'll get it...but I somehow doubt it.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Nope, we've been filling the building since 67, the last time they won the Cup, to support them.

If anything, Leafs fans are the best, most loyal fanbase known to mankind.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:45 PM
Erdinger

Lets face it guys when our fathers made us Leafs fans we got stuck with the ugly fat wife with our NHL team.

My apologies to anybody who got the ugly fat wife in real life.