HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12'/13' Draft Thread: Something, Something... SETH JONES!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2013, 07:36 PM
  #326
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
MacKinnon has 5pts (3g, 2a) and a +6 in his last two games.

I don't think he needs to worry as much about Drouin as you think. It's VERY clear to most who watch them, that MacKinnon is the total package at this point, and Drouin still has work to do on facets of the game that MacKinnon is pretty solid in. Drouin is an offensive weapon right now, and a damn good one, but he doesn't bring to the table what MacKinnon does.

There's more that defines a draft prospect than points, and MacKinnon is just the all-around better player.
Check your totals Ernie, Mackinnon has 2 assists in his last 2 games and is -1.

Drouin has 2 goals and 2 assists and is +1 in the same last 2 games.

In games played on Fri and Sat.

I don't see any games for tonight on the QMJHL website.

Interactif is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 07:40 PM
  #327
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,102
vCash: 500
I was reading the top...

Either way, the same statement stands.
Nate is the complete player at this point, and Drouin is the offensive weapon.

I think Drouin is more in a battle for #3, than 1 or 2.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 07:45 PM
  #328
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,707
vCash: 500
Im glad I am here to check facts, otherwise we will have a lot of inaccuracies around here.

Drouin is a legit guy that some saw as a possible #1 at the worlds before Jones took over, he is not that as far away from Mackinnon as some think, he's pushing Mackinnon and whoever posted it earlier in the season about Drouin looking better than Mackinnon on nights he saw him, have to give you props. The guy that made all those youtube tapes, from the games I saw both play, Drouin looked better more times than not.

Interactif is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 07:52 PM
  #329
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,102
vCash: 500
Hey, your opinion is your opinion.

and fact checking? Are you taking a moral victory out of me hitting the sort button twice? lol

His size (yes, this is a factor, or Teravainen would've gone top 5 EASILY last year) and the fact that he'll take longer to round into a complete game (if he ever does), will set him behind Nathan MacKinnon.

There's also this kid on a wild 9-game point streak in a pro league, about to become the youngest player to ever reach 40 pts in said league that's pushing the top group.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 07:53 PM
  #330
rdawg1234
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,491
vCash: 500
hmmm hopefully we get that top 8 pick and pickup a blue chip centre piece.

I would doubt against mackinnon or drouin barring a lottery, but I believe a 5-8 finish is possible if we continue to have poor goaltending.

rdawg1234 is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 07:55 PM
  #331
FlareKnight
Registered User
 
FlareKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,067
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Im glad I am here to check facts, otherwise we will have a lot of inaccuracies around here.

Drouin is a legit guy that some saw as a possible #1 at the worlds before Jones took over, he is not that as far away from Mackinnon as some think, he's pushing Mackinnon and whoever posted it earlier in the season about Drouin looking better than Mackinnon on nights he saw him, have to give you props. The guy that made all those youtube tapes, from the games I saw both play, Drouin looked better more times than not.
A really humble guy aren't you .

Despite all the battling going on for certain guys, in the end you aren't going to be in a bad spot drafting top 3 with one of MacKinnon, Jones, and Drouin available.

In the end with talent level that high I don't think there will be a consensus. Will be a lot of factors to consider going into this.

FlareKnight is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 07:58 PM
  #332
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Hey, your opinion is your opinion.

and fact checking? Are you taking a moral victory out of me hitting the sort button twice? lol

His size (yes, this is a factor, or Teravainen would've gone top 5 EASILY last year) and the fact that he'll take longer to round into a complete game (if he ever does), will set him behind Nathan MacKinnon.

There's also this kid on a wild 9-game point streak in a pro league, about to become the youngest player to ever reach 40 pts in said league that's pushing the top group.
Most hockey people would agree that Jones and Drouin were the 2 most impressive prospects to come out of the WJC, but why mention size when Mackinnon is 5'11 179 according to the Halifax Moosehead's site.

Drouin is 5'11 and 176lbs, 3 pds lighter is the difference, not sure one you are worried about, the other you are not?

Interactif is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 07:59 PM
  #333
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
 
LolungoReboundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brampton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 500
I don't think the leafs end up between 1-4 however I wouldn't be at all shocked to see them land between 5-7 in which case they should pick either Lindholm or Monahan. Monahan is captain material after having watched him closely for a while and Lindholm to me seems a bit like Backstrom but either way you get a franchise center if they develop.

If the leafs are able to grab another first I'd expect it to be from a playoff team between 18-30 so in this range you hope to get a guy whose made his fall in draft that day or preferably either Fucale, Compher, Morrissey, Gauthier or Dickinson.

That's a first round deserving of an A+ in my books

In a draft this deep you have to accumulate picks even in the back end of the first round (25-30) and in the second round.

my personal second round favorite picks would be Valentine Zykov out in Baie Comeau, Bo Horvat, Shea Theodore and Arturi Lehkonen

LolungoReboundo is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:00 PM
  #334
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
A really humble guy aren't you .

Despite all the battling going on for certain guys, in the end you aren't going to be in a bad spot drafting top 3 with one of MacKinnon, Jones, and Drouin available.

In the end with talent level that high I don't think there will be a consensus. Will be a lot of factors to consider going into this.
Aren't you more curious why the poster is worried about one player's size, that knows how to avoid body contact to one that looks for contact, but not the other, when both are 5'11 and 176-179 in lbs. Contradicting to me?

Interactif is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:03 PM
  #335
rdawg1234
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,491
vCash: 500
Would love to get another first rounder this year, even if it's late, this draft looks deep!

rdawg1234 is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:05 PM
  #336
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Most hockey people would agree that Jones and Drouin were the 2 most impressive prospects to come out of the WJC, but why mention size when Mackinnon is 5'11 179 according to the Halifax Moosehead's site.

Drouin is 5'11 and 176lbs, 3 pds lighter is the difference, not sure one you are worried about, the other you are not?
The WJC is not the be-all, end-all. The analysts that so many adore on the tele said so themselves, as have countless others.

Also, tell me the difference in how they play.... which one plays bigger, and shows more physical development in the way he plays the game. Oh, and MacKinnon is the more complete player, hands-down, no argument. He plays in all zones, is good at it, and projects higher as a complete centerman in the future.

I love Drouin, but I'm not about to say he's better than, or will be better than a player that is currently better than, and projects better than he does.

And again, I take Barkov over Drouin without even thinking twice. Size, skill, smarts, plays all 3 zones, unprecidented season in a pro league as a 17 year old, and the only reason he's not hyped as much is because he plays in a small, foreign country. If he played in the CHL, he would DOMINATE.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:07 PM
  #337
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolungoReboundo View Post
I don't think the leafs end up between 1-4 however I wouldn't be at all shocked to see them land between 5-7 in which case they should pick either Lindholm or Monahan. Monahan is captain material after having watched him closely for a while and Lindholm to me seems a bit like Backstrom but either way you get a franchise center if they develop.

If the leafs are able to grab another first I'd expect it to be from a playoff team between 18-30 so in this range you hope to get a guy whose made his fall in draft that day or preferably either Fucale, Compher, Morrissey, Gauthier or Dickinson.

That's a first round deserving of an A+ in my books

In a draft this deep you have to accumulate picks even in the back end of the first round (25-30) and in the second round.

my personal second round favorite picks would be Valentine Zykov out in Baie Comeau, Bo Horvat, Shea Theodore and Arturi Lehkonen
I like Mackinnon, but for all the fanfare this was supposed to be his year, has he stagnated or have some caught him and in some cases passed him, it is a concern for the once slam dunk #1.

I love Zadorov's size and meanness, and I agree about Dickinson but Bailey is my jewel in the rough.

Interactif is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:08 PM
  #338
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,920
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Most hockey people would agree that Jones and Drouin were the 2 most impressive prospects to come out of the WJC, but why mention size when Mackinnon is 5'11 179 according to the Halifax Moosehead's site.

Drouin is 5'11 and 176lbs, 3 pds lighter is the difference, not sure one you are worried about, the other you are not?
Did Seguin and RNH even make it to the WJC in their draft year?

WJC is more of a talent show than a test.

Pi is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:10 PM
  #339
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I like Mackinnon, but for all the fanfare this was supposed to be his year, has he stagnated or have some caught him and in some cases passed him, it is a concern for the once slam dunk #1.

I love Zadorov's size and meanness, and I agree about Dickinson but Bailey is my jewel in the rough.
The same thing led to some thinking that Hedman would go before Tavares...

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:12 PM
  #340
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
The WJC is not the be-all, end-all. The analysts that so many adore on the tele said so themselves, as have countless others.

Also, tell me the difference in how they play.... which one plays bigger, and shows more physical development in the way he plays the game. Oh, and MacKinnon is the more complete player, hands-down, no argument. He plays in all zones, is good at it, and projects higher as a complete centerman in the future.

I love Drouin, but I'm not about to say he's better than, or will be better than a player that is currently better than, and projects better than he does.

And again, I take Barkov over Drouin without even thinking twice. Size, skill, smarts, plays all 3 zones, unprecidented season in a pro league as a 17 year old, and the only reason he's not hyped as much is because he plays in a small, foreign country. If he played in the CHL, he would DOMINATE.
Drouin and Mackinnon are very different players, Mackinnon is 5'11 179lbs, if he plays like that in the NHL he could be a Taylor Hall injury in the making. Drouin is crafty and smart, the same size so he relies on a different skill set, if you watched the WJC he plays big in big game situations. He was counted on more buy Spott, and he has taken a big step fwd whereas Mackinnon has stayed right where he is while Jones went by him. You often get this way when you like a prospect, you lock on to them. I will continue to rank players up until the draft as they move up or down, Jones wasn't on top of my lists this year, but he made himself by the quality of his play. To be a good scout you have to adjust.

Interactif is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:13 PM
  #341
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Did Seguin and RNH even make it to the WJC in their draft year?

WJC is more of a talent show than a test.
Hall made it, played with Kadri on the silver medal team.

Interactif is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:14 PM
  #342
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
The same thing led to some thinking that Hedman would go before Tavares...
That draft has nothing to do with this draft. Hedman is not Jones and Mackinnon is not Tavares.

Interactif is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:19 PM
  #343
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,707
vCash: 500
Someone explain to me how playing on a Friday night has more meaning than playing for your nation in a high pressure environment against the best of your peers is a not meaningful if you are scouting players, players already ranked highly that impress solidify their rankings, if anything, if you are good going in and you shine, it just adds to your ranking, not talking about Jerry D'amigos here.

Interactif is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:20 PM
  #344
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Drouin and Mackinnon are very different players, Mackinnon is 5'11 179lbs, if he plays like that in the NHL he could be a Taylor Hall injury in the making. Drouin is crafty and smart, the same size so he relies on a different skill set, if you watched the WJC he plays big in big game situations. He as counted on more buy Spott, and he has taken a big step fwd whereas Mackinnon has stayed right where he is while Jones went by him. You often get his way when you like a prospect, you lock on to them. I will continue to rank players up until the draft as they move up or down, Jones wasn't on top of my lists this year, but he made himself by the quality of his play. To be a good scout you have to adjust.
I haven't locked on to anyone. I have a list of about 10 guys I'd like us to pick, and the rest I would have to see more of. You have this issue with absolutely pegging someone, in a way that would completely suit the way you feel, without paying attention to anything else.

If you read the thread back, I've mentioned about 15 players in the last few days, and reasons why I like them, and would be fine to see them picked. So on that point, you're so far off base, I can't help ya.

2nd, if what you say is true about your ranking guys all the way until draft day, you wouldn't completely ignore certain guys because other posters like them, and you don't (Nurse, Barkov, are good examples). It's very clear, that between now and draft day, that Drouin and Jones could go on vacation, and they would be your picks. They can do no wrong, and that's fine. Those are your guys. That's your opinion.

I don't know how many people have to point out the fact that the WJC is little more than a talent showcase, and not a true test of a player's meddle, for you to get that. I also don't know why you selectively listen to MacKenzie when he talks about your guys, but ignore him when he states the above point himself.

In order to be a good scout, you would have to involve yourself in the game heavily, at not only a playing level at some point (and no, not just house league), but in coaching, training, managing, or something of the like, so that you were properly educated in what to look for in a player, in terms of skating, shooting, passing, IQ, leadership, and a whole host of other attributes both physically and mentally.

Again, opinions are just that. They're your's.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:21 PM
  #345
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
That draft has nothing to do with this draft. Hedman is not Jones and Mackinnon is not Tavares.
The sentiments are almost verbatim.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:24 PM
  #346
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I haven't locked on to anyone. I have a list of about 10 guys I'd like us to pick, and the rest I would have to see more of. You have this issue with absolutely pegging someone, in a way that would completely suit the way you feel, without paying attention to anything else.

If you read the thread back, I've mentioned about 15 players in the last few days, and reasons why I like them, and would be fine to see them picked. So on that point, you're so far off base, I can't help ya.

2nd, if what you say is true about your ranking guys all the way until draft day, you wouldn't completely ignore certain guys because other posters like them, and you don't (Nurse, Barkov, are good examples). It's very clear, that between now and draft day, that Drouin and Jones could go on vacation, and they would be your picks. They can do no wrong, and that's fine. Those are your guys. That's your opinion.

I don't know how many people have to point out the fact that the WJC is little more than a talent showcase, and not a true test of a player's meddle, for you to get that. I also don't know why you selectively listen to MacKenzie when he talks about your guys, but ignore him when he states the above point himself.

In order to be a good scout, you would have to involve yourself in the game heavily, at not only a playing level at some point (and no, not just house league), but in coaching, training, managing, or something of the like, so that you were properly educated in what to look for in a player, in terms of skating, shooting, passing, IQ, leadership, and a whole host of other attributes both physically and mentally.

Again, opinions are just that. They're your's.
You seem to have a preference for Center's. We all know this, even passing over better players for a Center. A friday night game is a junior showcase, what's your point, these guys are showcasing them selves for the scouts to be drafted. This is not news.

Interactif is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:26 PM
  #347
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
You seem to have a preference for Center's. We all know this, even passing over better players for a Center. A friday night game is a junior showcase, what's your point, these guys are showcasing them selves for the scouts to be drafted. This is not news.
Go back and look again.
Until you do, this debate is over, because you're absolutely ignoring the fact that I've talked about almost everyone but a center for a week now.....

But go on... You argument would die in an instant if you actually did your homework

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:26 PM
  #348
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
 
LolungoReboundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brampton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I like Mackinnon, but for all the fanfare this was supposed to be his year, has he stagnated or have some caught him and in some cases passed him, it is a concern for the once slam dunk #1.

I love Zadorov's size and meanness, and I agree about Dickinson but Bailey is my jewel in the rough.
I love the Bailey mention kid is being so badly underutilized by the moron on kitchener bench (I go to school in Waterloo so i get to see a few games for the rangers) zadorov is another guy who could become a star but we would have to send him back to London to work on offense because if he gets his offense to around 35-45 point capabilities (which he has the potential to do) then you could see a future Norris candidate defenseman (if he doesnt bust)

and I think you meant monahan not mackinnon but with monahan no one will ever question his willingness and determination, but he has been injured this season and played fewer games but hes still producing at a good clip while playing a beast 2 way game. The kid is captain of Ottawa and its his draft year. He's taken a hold of the offense of Ottawa after shane prince and toffoli left I guess scouts have just expected more. One thing I can say is that everytime you watch him you will never come away wanting or expecting more hes 100% all the time, he's a young captain intangibles and hes from brampton ontario. Im not one of those leaf fans who cares about where the captain is from etc but the fanfare behind a born and raised brampton ontario kid who became the leafs number 1 center and potential captain would be through the roof. sorry for the long paragraph

EDIT: oh wow sorry i misunderstood your comment about mackinnon thinking it was about monahan but nevertheless....

LolungoReboundo is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:33 PM
  #349
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolungoReboundo View Post
I love the Bailey mention kid is being so badly underutilized by the moron on kitchener bench (I go to school in Waterloo so i get to see a few games for the rangers) zadorov is another guy who could become a star but we would have to send him back to London to work on offense because if he gets his offense to around 35-45 point capabilities (which he has the potential to do) then you could see a future Norris candidate defenseman (if he doesnt bust)

and I think you meant monahan not mackinnon but with monahan no one will ever question his willingness and determination, but he has been injured this season and played fewer games but hes still producing at a good clip while playing a beast 2 way game. The kid is captain of Ottawa and its his draft year. He's taken a hold of the offense of Ottawa after shane prince and toffoli left I guess scouts have just expected more. One thing I can say is that everytime you watch him you will never come away wanting or expecting more hes 100% all the time, he's a young captain intangibles and hes from brampton ontario. Im not one of those leaf fans who cares about where the captain is from etc but the fanfare behind a born and raised brampton ontario kid who became the leafs number 1 center and potential captain would be through the roof. sorry for the long paragraph
Yeah Justin Bailey is a very intriguing prospect that a scout and I had a good talk about, this kid according to him and I agree has the potential to be a dominant fwd.

You see glimpses of it, he is a great skater, has nice hands, and is hidden in Spott's roster, like him a a lot, I love Monahan too, when I watch him play he is like the old time Leafs, never the flying Habs type players but workmanlike and lots of heart.

Interactif is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:35 PM
  #350
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Go back and look again.
Until you do, this debate is over, because you're absolutely ignoring the fact that I've talked about almost everyone but a center for a week now.....

But go on... You argument would die in an instant if you actually did your homework
Nijna edit, you never answered why you are so concerned about Drouin's size and not Mackinnon's, didn't you know they are the same height and same weight, give or take 3 lbs?

Interactif is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.