HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft (draft day chat link in Post 887)

Old
01-27-2013, 08:59 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

vCash: 500
If we continue to give up more than 3 goals per game, we most certainly will be in the bottom 10, more likely bottom 3.

But if Mac goes number 1 and we're pick 2nd, we certainly pick Jones. However, if we were picking 3 and Mac/Jones were off the board, who do you pick?

Barkov, Drouin or Monaghan?

For me it would be a no-brainer: Barkov

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:06 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
If we continue to give up more than 3 goals per game, we most certainly will be in the bottom 10, more likely bottom 3.

But if Mac goes number 1 and we're pick 2nd, we certainly pick Jones. However, if we were picking 3 and Mac/Jones were off the board, who do you pick?

Barkov, Drouin or Monaghan?

For me it would be a no-brainer: Barkov
I'd take Drouin over Barkov. Probably over anyone in this draft or the last, too.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Etch

vCash: 193
Living in Halifax I've seen a lot of Moosehead games this year. While admitedly I haven't seen much of Barkov, Rt has it right about Drouin. Which ever team lands him is going to be very pleased.

As for Jones, he's definitely one of the most useful defensemen in a while, but his is almost a full year older than both Nathan and Drouin, don't forget.

Etch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:51 PM
lanky

In this interview the McKeen's scout has some great things to say about Monahan, but also that he won't even rival for a top five selection. That caught me by surprise. I'm looking forward to McKenzie's list on Thursday to find out where the consensus has Monahan (and others) rated.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013...david.html?m=1

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:01 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
In this interview the McKeen's scout has some great things to say about Monahan, but also that he won't even rival for a top five selection. That caught me by surprise. I'm looking forward to McKenzie's list on Thursday to find out where the consensus has Monahan (and others) rated.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013...david.html?m=1
i love MOnahan's game. He will be in my top 10 and will likely be the guy that I secretly hope to be our selection.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:54 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I think Sean Monahan will be a first line NHL center and the kind of player that will be Dave Tippett's dream. I think it would be perfectly reasonable to take him 4th and utterly INSANE to let him slip past 6th. I see a quieter, slicker, headier Toews. Not quite so guts and glory, but more subtly effective. Eric Staal meets David Krejci.

Last edited by rt: 01-29-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old
01-30-2013, 01:13 AM
XX
... Waiting

More realistically: who is the best goalscorer in the 20-25 range? I'll fantasize about a top 10 pick when we cross that bridge. I just find it hard to believe this team will be that bad. No D. Not for the first 3 rounds.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:25 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I had a horrible dream that I missed the draft accidentally, and had to read about it in the paper. We drafted a third goaltending McCollum brother in the first, but by some miracle Darnell Nurse fell out of the top ten to fifteen picks, and into our laps in the second.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:26 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
More realistically: who is the best goalscorer in the 20-25 range? I'll fantasize about a top 10 pick when we cross that bridge. I just find it hard to believe this team will be that bad. No D. Not for the first 3 rounds.
I doubt Lazar falls quite that far, but maybe Klimchuk. Those two, along with Hartman are my favorites in this class, outside the top ten.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:55 PM
lanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Either Mantha or Domi could fall to the 20-25 range, where they would be the best goal scorers left. I like both prospects, but would prefer a larger centre like Lazar or Gauthier or maybe even the high school kid mentioned earlier in this thread.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:26 PM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Quote:
Either Mantha or Domi could fall to the 20-25 range, where they would be the best goal scorers left. I like both prospects, but would prefer a larger centre like Lazar or Gauthier or maybe even the high school kid mentioned earlier in this thread.
I like Gauthier quite a bit. If we're picking in the early to mid 20's again, he's the guy I was hoping for. But the high school kid Connor Hurley is changing my mind a little. There's a web site online that you can watch some of Edina high school games. Full length games that is. His skating and playmaking ability reminds me of Mike Modano.

To be clear, they're archived games. Not live games.

Kimahri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:49 PM
lanky

Gauthier is already at 13th on McKenzie's list. No chance he's flying under anyone's radar. I can see him continuing to rise, similar to Scheifele and Johannsen in recent years. Of course it'll be tougher for him to go as high because of the relative quality of this draft. Big centres with offensive potential don't stay on the board long.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:39 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimahri View Post
I like Gauthier quite a bit. If we're picking in the early to mid 20's again, he's the guy I was hoping for. But the high school kid Connor Hurley is changing my mind a little. There's a web site online that you can watch some of Edina high school games. Full length games that is. His skating and playmaking ability reminds me of Mike Modano.

To be clear, they're archived games. Not live games.
Hi could you send me a message with a link to that website? I would appreciate it a lot!

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Fathead

On my way up to Portland on Wed and I'm going to catch the Portland Winterhawks vs Calgary Hitmen. I can't wait to see Seth Jones and all the rest of the talent on the 2 teams live. Two of the top ranked teams in THE HOCKEY NEWS CHL POWER RANKINGS.

Fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:20 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Hey chootoi, what do you think about this Mackenzie Weegar kid in Halifax? I've been pretty impressed the couple of times of seen him.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Chootoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Hey chootoi, what do you think about this Mackenzie Weegar kid in Halifax? I've been pretty impressed the couple of times of seen him.
Something to keep in mind with Weegar is that he's playing his 18 year old season right now in junior. He's a full year older than most of the draft eligible players this year. that's not necessarily a bad thing though, as he seems to be a typical late bloomer that keeps improving.

Couple things that have probably hurt his stock are that he has played junior A up until this year (18) so most prospects already have a year or two development on him. Second, he doesn't excel at any one part of the game. He doesn't have any one star quality skill so although he's a key cog on any defensive unit, he's easy to forget about. He's good at both ends of the ice, he hits, he's willing to drop the gloves, decent skater. Comparable to Derek Morris maybe.

People just expect NHL defenseman to be 6'3" with a booming howitzer that skates like Brett Hedican. Weegar is not any of those things. He's just a solid all around defenseman. That combined with his age is enough for him to fly under the radar, but someone will probably scoop him up in rounds 5-7 and get themselves a surprise riser.

Halifax is expected to go deep in the playoffs and challenge for the Memorial Cup, so if he has a good playoffs you could see his stock shoot up some.

Last edited by Chootoi: 02-16-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:49 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

So far in my mock I've taken Curtis Lazar and Justin Bailey. There were much more statistaclly impressive kids available at each spot. I couldve had Domi and Sorensen, for example. I just really like the pro potential in the guys I took. I feel like they're well suited for the nhl as it is today.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:05 AM
slv

I think to pick Lazar we must choose earlier than Oilers. Book it!

slv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:20 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by slv View Post
I think to pick Lazar we must choose earlier than Oilers. Book it!
He's ranked 25th on Bob's list. I know the Oilers will reach for Oil Kings players, but I'm not sure they'll reach that far.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:45 AM
lanky

Lazar has really upped his production since Bob's list was compiled. He's been potting goals like he wants to be a top ten pick.

I'd be so happy to get Lazar and Bailey. Well done. What draft position did you have in this mock?

Old
02-21-2013, 03:20 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Lazar has really upped his production since Bob's list was compiled. He's been potting goals like he wants to be a top ten pick.

I'd be so happy to get Lazar and Bailey. Well done. What draft position did you have in this mock?
15th

Old
02-21-2013, 05:19 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Quote:
15th
Who was left that you could have selected at 15? I like the Bailey selection

Mantha, Klimchuk, Rychel?

Old
02-21-2013, 06:40 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
Who was left that you could have selected at 15? I like the Bailey selection

Mantha, Klimchuk, Rychel?
For forwards:

Alex Wennberg, Bo Horvat, Adam Erne, Anthony Mantha, Max Domi, Frederic Gauthier, Andre Burakowsky, Kerby Rychel, Ryan Hartman, Artturi Lehkonen, Morgan Klimchuk, Valentin Zykov, and Anthony Duclair all went in the first round AFTER I selected Lazar. They went in that order.

I expected to get flamed for reaching.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:27 PM
Kaibur

Quote:
For forwards:

Alex Wennberg, Bo Horvat, Adam Erne, Anthony Mantha, Max Domi, Frederic Gauthier, Andre Burakowsky, Kerby Rychel, Ryan Hartman, Artturi Lehkonen, Morgan Klimchuk, Valentin Zykov, and Anthony Duclair all went in the first round AFTER I selected Lazar. They went in that order.

I don't mind reaching that far for Lazar. I also like his pro upside and think he had a down year. And I like the idea of him and Samuelsson coming all the way up together.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:47 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Quote:
For forwards:

You guys like Lazar more than I do at the #15 overall spot. I would have taken Domi or Rychel, probably Rychel