HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Garrioch Writes that Avs are Quietly Shopping O'Reilly

Old
01-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Unagi

vCash: 500
Ryan O'Reilly could make sense for Toronto. If he is willing to sign there. Not making any proposal though as I don't know what the Avs would want and what they need.

Unagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:40 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empros View Post
I think Edmonton can best any offer without losing our top 5 guys.

Gagner + 2nd + 3rd
There is literally pages of players worth more than Gagner that have already been mentions so your offer is way behind the curve.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:40 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tarkanian View Post
We may not have anyone at O'Reilly's level that your interested in but we have 4 who are way above him, 5 mil for a guy with one decent season under his belt is insane. I am a fan of O'Reillys game but lets stop acting like he is an elite center, I put ROR in the same class as Gagner, maybe a little higher value because he brings some tools that Gagner lacks but he's not that far above him.
If there in the same class then you can go ahead and keep Gagner. Don't know why you'd be willing to add to him for O'Reilly when they're in the same class

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Girgenburger
doginthebathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Are you F-ing nuts? Why not throw Vanek in too while you're at it... terrible overpayment from Buffalo.
No, I'm not. Stafford has been mediocre for his past 7 years in Buffalo. We all know he has talent, but it's wasted here. He needs a change of scenery. It's also inevitable that Buffalo will move a defenseman. Why not Sekera? You have to overpay to acquire the breed of player O'Reilly is. If you inserted Leopold and took out Sekera, I'm betting Colorado says hell no, rather than no.

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:48 PM
Mr Tarkanian
Ali Bomaye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
If there in the same class then you can go ahead and keep Gagner. Don't know why you'd be willing to add to him for O'Reilly when they're in the same class
I wouldn't, I'll keep Gagner and see what he can do with some actual talent around him Oilers could use a bigger second line center but they need a proven one not ROR.

Mr Tarkanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Avs44

vCash: 50
Quote:
We may not have anyone at O'Reilly's level that your interested in but we have 4 who are way above him, 5 mil for a guy with one decent season under his belt is insane. I am a fan of O'Reillys game but lets stop acting like he is an elite center, I put ROR in the same class as Gagner, maybe a little higher value because he brings some tools that Gagner lacks but he's not that far above him.
Great. Keep Gagner then. We don't want him. Notice its always Oiler fans packaging Gagner up to get someone better? Never the other way around?

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:56 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

great news for everybody.

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Mr Tarkanian
Ali Bomaye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Great. Keep Gagner then. We don't want him. Notice its always Oiler fans packaging Gagner up to get someone better? Never the other way around?
Yep because those fans represent the whole fan base Most fans think that only way Gagner should be shipped out is for a noticeable upgrade which at this point is not ROR.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
O'Reilly is closer to Eberle than Gagner is to him. He's already outscored Gagner, is younger and inquantifiably better defensively.

So you can put him in whatever class you like, Gagner will never get him in a trade, let alone to a division rival where he would fill a major hole in your roster.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Pi

Edmonton is the perfect definition of asset poor in the sense that they wont trade Hall, Yakupov, Eberle, RNH, Schultz etc... and after that they don't have much that teams would be willing to trade for if they are giving up guys like ROR.

I think ROR is a great player. What would it cost from a Leafs POV?

He'd instantly upgrade the center depth and being on a line with Kessel will help his point totals and his defense will help that line incredibly.

IMO, If ROR is available the Leafs should be looking to every possible deal to get him. Makes sense to overpay for him than Luongo.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Pi

Quote:
Yep because those fans represent the whole fan base Most fans think that only way Gagner should be shipped out is for a noticeable upgrade which at this point is not ROR.
You don't think ROR is a noticeable upgrade over Gagner?

There is a reason why Pittsburgh wanted to keep Jordan Staal and when they reluctantly traded him they wanted a center back that was great defensively.

ROR is a player that is great defensively and has put up 50 points in his young career.

The problem the Oilers have is that outside of Eberle and maybe RNH, none of their stars are really that good defensively. They can score a lot of goals but can't prevent teams from getting good chances because of a combination of their forwards and D.

ROR makes Edmonton a much better team than Gagner ever will.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:21 PM
Mr Tarkanian
Ali Bomaye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
O'Reilly is closer to Eberle than Gagner is to him. He's already outscored Gagner, is younger and inquantifiably better defensively.

So you can put him in whatever class you like, Gagner will never get him in a trade, let alone to a division rival where he would fill a major hole in your roster.
out of the last 3 years ROR out scored him once , played 6 more games and had much better linemates around him, Gagner is a more consistent scorer. I cant say anything about the defense part you got me there ROR is cleary better but not enough to put him anywhere near Eberle in terms of value nice try though

Old
01-27-2013, 09:25 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
out of the last 3 years ROR out scored him once , played 6 more games and had much better linemates around him, Gagner is a more consistent scorer. I cant say anything about the defense part you got me there ROR is cleary better but not enough to put him anywhere near Eberle in terms of value nice try though
Well, out of the last 3 years, ROR only had better linemates last year, so that's only
1/3rd right with what you said....and his linemates were Landeskog and some random player, until Downie showed up...so your point is rendered even FURTHER wrong.

RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:26 PM
Mr Tarkanian
Ali Bomaye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
You don't think ROR is a noticeable upgrade over Gagner?

There is a reason why Pittsburgh wanted to keep Jordan Staal and when they reluctantly traded him they wanted a center back that was great defensively.

ROR is a player that is great defensively and has put up 50 points in his young career.

The problem the Oilers have is that outside of Eberle and maybe RNH, none of their stars are really that good defensively. They can score a lot of goals but can't prevent teams from getting good chances because of a combination of their forwards and D.

ROR makes Edmonton a much better team than Gagner ever will.
Not for one year he doesn't, can he be if he progress the way he has been hell yeah but until he puts up another good season I think people are over valuating him. Would he not be the third line center on the avs if he came back ?? No way he produces anywhere near he did last year is he plays third line with a healthy Duchene and Stasny in front of him.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:37 PM
Mr Tarkanian
Ali Bomaye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Well, out of the last 3 years, ROR only had better linemates last year, so that's only
1/3rd right with what you said....and his linemates were Landeskog and some random player, until Downie showed up...so your point is rendered even FURTHER wrong.
Ok so they both had bad linemates 2 outta the last 3 years and he still outscored him in those 2 years, Gagner has never really had a shot to play with good talent around him for a full year until this year so far has been Yakupov and a healthy looking Hemsky and Gagner has played well.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:41 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Ok so they both had bad linemates 2 outta the last 3 years and he still outscored him in those 2 years, Gagner has never really had a shot to play with good talent around him for a full year until this year so far has been Yakupov and a healthy looking Hemsky and Gagner has played well.
Not the point I was trying to make. Gagner HAS been the Oilers #2 C for those 2 years...O'Reilly was the Avs' 3rd Line C, not expected to put up points per se.

Then last year he gets his opportunity because his line just flat out OUTPLAYED the other two lines, and he gets more points in a season than Gagner ever has, and Gagner's played in the NHL longer.

I don't have a problem with Gagner, I think that he's a fine player in his own right...but at this stage in both of their careers, Ryan O'Reilly is the superior player.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Lessy

Quote:

Not going to dispute that O'Reilly won't be coming to Edmonton but the bolded is a tad much. He's a great 2/3C but Jordan Eberle he is nowhere near. One of the best wingers in the NHL vs. a guy that's cracked the 26 point mark once in three seasons and currently in a contract dispute? Ya that's not even close. Gagner is a lot closer to ROR but still not all that close - Oilers probably add a Klefbom caliber piece (hypothetical).

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:51 PM
Mr Tarkanian
Ali Bomaye!

Quote:
Not the point I was trying to make. Gagner HAS been the Oilers #2 C for those 2 years...O'Reilly was the Avs' 3rd Line C, not expected to put up points per se.

Then last year he gets his opportunity because his line just flat out OUTPLAYED the other two lines, and he gets more points in a season than Gagner ever has, and Gagner's played in the NHL longer.

I don't have a problem with Gagner, I think that he's a fine player in his own right...but at this stage in both of their careers, Ryan O'Reilly is the superior player.
All im saying is ROR had Landeskog and Downie and played well and injuries to other top players helped them get a chance, ROR defenseive games makes him better yes but not to the amount people are making it out to be I would not pay ROR anymore than 3.5 - 4 and i see people saying 5 blows my mind for a third line center who would be behind Duchene and Stasny.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:55 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Ok but the Avs third line equaled the Oilers second line, ROR had Landeskog and Downie and played well and injuries to other top players helped them get a chance, until this year Gagner has not had the chance to play with any real kind of talent, ROR defenseive games makes him better yes but not to the amount people are making it out to be I would not pay ROR anymore than 3.5 - 4 and i see people saying 5 blows my mind for a third line center who would be behind Duchene and Stasny.
Did you read what I read at all?

For ROR's first two seasons, he didn't have Landeskog. So he played with random
3rd line players.

And last year he played only with Landeskog for the entire season. He had Winnik on his line to start, then an aging, non-productive Hejduk, Olver at times, McLeod a few. And then the Avs acquired Downie at the TRADE DEADLINE.

So the line you're referring to of Landeskog-O'Reilly-Downie was only intact from the Trade Deadline onwards...not to mention the fact that Downie had injured his shoulder pretty badly, so bad that it required surgery in the offseason.

So again, I digress, O'Reilly is the superior player to Gagner. Not to say that Gagner is a BAD player, he's not, but I feel that O'Reilly is better.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Jerkini

I'll go against the grain:

Tyler Bozak, Phil Kessel for Ryan O'Reilly + <Fill in the blank>

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Mr Tarkanian
Ali Bomaye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
I'll go against the grain:

Tyler Bozak, Phil Kessel for Ryan O'Reilly + <Fill in the blank>
Is this sarcasm ?? I sure hope so.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:04 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
So again, I digress, O'Reilly is the superior player to Gagner. Not to say that Gagner is a BAD player, he's not, but I feel that O'Reilly is better.
You're being too kind, NOBODY wants Sam Gagner. He isn't good defensively, he can't kill penalties, he isn't physical, he can't play in the bottom six, etc. He doesn't help the Avs at all. Avs are better off just letting O'Reilly sit out than getting Gagner in return and probably paying him $3.5M+ next season.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:04 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Gagner isn't even close to being a consistent scorer, he had what, 13 points in two of his games last season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
Not going to dispute that O'Reilly won't be coming to Edmonton but the bolded is a tad much. He's a great 2/3C but Jordan Eberle he is nowhere near. One of the best wingers in the NHL vs. a guy that's cracked the 26 point mark once in three seasons and currently in a contract dispute? Ya that's not even close. Gagner is a lot closer to ROR but still not all that close - Oilers probably add a Klefbom caliber piece (hypothetical).
Well, Eberle has only cracked 43 points once. I know, silly logic isn't it?

I never said Eberle wasn't clearly better, I scoffed at the Gagner being close to ROR remark. Comparing the two is like comparing O'Reilly to Eberle, they just aren't in the same league.

Kind of funny that Eberle is one of the best wingers in the NHL but O'Reilly is just a great 2/3 center. O'Reilly is also one of the best defensive centers in the league, giving the likes of Datsyuk a run for his money on any given night for the better defensive forward when matched up head to head.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Mr Tarkanian
Ali Bomaye!

Quote:
Gagner isn't even close to being a consistent scorer, he had what, 13 points in two of his games last season?

Well, Eberle has only cracked 43 points once. I know, silly logic isn't it?

I never said Eberle wasn't clearly better, I scoffed at the Gagner being close to ROR remark. Comparing the two is like comparing O'Reilly to Eberle, they just aren't in the same league.

Kind of funny that Eberle is one of the best wingers in the NHL but O'Reilly is just a great 2/3 center. O'Reilly is also one of the best defensive centers in the league, giving the likes of Datsyuk a run for his money on any given night for the better defensive forward when matched up head to head.
Is 5 straight 40 + point seasons not consistent ?? Eberle broke 43 Twice actually. Thats a insane statement, ROR is nowhere near Datsyuk, thats like me saying Eberle gives Stamkos a run for his money ever night a best scorer in the NHL.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:18 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Is 5 straight 40 point season not consistent ?? Eberle broke 43 Twice actually. Thats a insane statement, ROR is nowhere near Datsyuk, thats like me saying Eberle gives Stamkos a run for his money ever night a best scorer in the NHL.
Haven't watched him much have you?

Gagner is the streakiest consistent scorer I've ever heard of.

And frankly, I'd love to know when Eberle cracked 43 points in the NHL other than last year, as he's only been in the league this being his third year.