HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

The Leafs: Discuss the current team (not a tank thread)

Old
01-27-2013, 12:03 PM
TheSilencer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Drop the r from your user handle and practice it. End of discussion.
Thought the sarcasm was implied..next time i shall add a ""

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:06 PM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Thats like saying i'm a piece or two away from being married.

All i need is the diamond ring and a women willing to marry me. LOL
This is an epic win of a post.

We're definitely not one or two pieces away from raising ourselves from being the laughing stock of NHL.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:12 PM
DaveT83

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleafsfan View Post
Going into the season I honestly thought that this fanbase had realistic expectations about our team. We're the youngest team in the league, while having a new coach, new GM, and new owners. These are not excuses, this is the reality of the situation. We're a young team who most likely will not make the playoffs, with an unlikely chance to catch lightning in a bottle and go on a run.

Now, after a couple of losses all you see is BLOW IT UP!!! WE SUCK!! TRADE KESSEL!!

What did you expect? A contender? The youngest team in the league to make the playoffs? I would love to go through this year of the rebuilding phase with tempered expectations, and a real discussion of our team. Whether you agree with it or not, we are rebuilding. Paraphrasing Nonis' words, we are looking to build a team focused on long-term success... not just trying to get in at the 8th spot.

We have built a decent pipeline of prospects with depth at certain positions. We are allowing players that we have developed to go out there and grow with each other. Will they make mistakes? Yes, of course they will... but this should be expected.

Do we have weaknesses? Obviously we do, but this isn't basketball where you can change the outlook of the team with 1-2 trades, it's a process that patience and good judgement.
You don't hear anyone asking for Kadri/fFrattin/Gardner to be traded anymore do you>?

People have a problem with the guys who have been here for multiple years - the guys who are in the prime of their careers. Not the rookies.

DaveT83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:19 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Good times when times are good

Bad times when times are bad

This post is nothing new, same panic, same mentality, same fear.

The team is what it is, cheer for your team, or shut up and don't

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:22 PM
LEAFSIN4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
You don't hear anyone asking for Kadri/fFrattin/Gardner to be traded anymore do you>?

People have a problem with the guys who have been here for multiple years - the guys who are in the prime of their careers. Not the rookies.
Yes, actually I do.

The only valuable players that I see being in the "prime" of their careers on our team are Grabo, Phaneuf, and Lupul.

LEAFSIN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:36 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Yes, actually I do.

The only valuable players that I see being in the "prime" of their careers on our team are Grabo, Phaneuf, and Lupul.
you don't think Kessel is valuable?

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
Perhaps he feels Kessel is on the downside?

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:49 PM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
As a fellow Norm Macdonald fan, I would love to agree with you (Norm fans should always stick together)...
I can't believe someone finally got the reference

Marco Esquandolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:03 PM
LEAFSIN4

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
I would say 27-32 should be considered a players prime.

I don't think we've seen the best of Kessel yet

LEAFSIN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
You would think a team that hasn't made the playoffs since 2004 would have a great farm system.
So true and so sad.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:22 PM
syc

Quote:
Going into the season I honestly thought that this fanbase had realistic expectations about our team.
For the most part they do it's just this forum is full of bipolar Leaf junkies.

The average fan had no expectations of playoffs this year.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Can't wait until MacArthur is no longer part of this team.

Hanta Yo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:19 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
I would say 27-32 should be considered a players prime.

I don't think we've seen the best of Kessel yet
players primes start at there 6th NHL season you think a player who joins the NHL at 18 compared to a player who joins at 21 hit there primes at the same age? the reason 27 is considered the average age of players primes is because most players join the NHL at age 20-21 which 6 years becomes 26-27 as the beginning of there primes. a player joining at 18 doesn't need 3 extra years to develop inside the NHL to hit there prime as someone whose 21 joining the NHL. go look at the majority of players by the end of there 6th season I would say 90% play atleast one season at there prime level. they may not have there career year in the first 6 but what they do on a regular basis is deffinitly hit.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:52 PM
hullsy47

Quote:
Going into the season I honestly thought that this fanbase had realistic expectations about our team. We're the youngest team in the league, while having a new coach, new GM, and new owners. These are not excuses, this is the reality of the situation. We're a young team who most likely will not make the playoffs, with an unlikely chance to catch lightning in a bottle and go on a run.

Now, after a couple of losses all you see is BLOW IT UP!!! WE SUCK!! TRADE KESSEL!!

What did you expect? A contender? The youngest team in the league to make the playoffs? I would love to go through this year of the rebuilding phase with tempered expectations, and a real discussion of our team. Whether you agree with it or not, we are rebuilding. Paraphrasing Nonis' words, we are looking to build a team focused on long-term success... not just trying to get in at the 8th spot.

We have built a decent pipeline of prospects with depth at certain positions. We are allowing players that we have developed to go out there and grow with each other. Will they make mistakes? Yes, of course they will... but this should be expected.

Do we have weaknesses? Obviously we do, but this isn't basketball where you can change the outlook of the team with 1-2 trades, it's a process that patience and good judgement.
who are the real young cornerstones?kessel?gardiner? we got a year and half of kessel then hes gonna be higher cap hit ....grabo highly paid second liner ....the reality is ,this group as a whole doesnt show alot of upside without at least two substantial free agents ....so u sign them and kessel and paneuf want to be paid in that category ......the real problem is ,both getzlaf and perry would upgrade this team ,but no way u can keep kessel unles he gives u a hometown discount ....hes gona want 6-7 mill a year ......he wont get it ,least not here ,i keep hearing prospects .....i see gardiner ,reilly .......and maybe biggs .......show where these guys are any better than alot of clubs top 3 ......oops forgot kadri ....

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:16 PM
AuGsY

My biggest problem with this leaf team is our forward group. Too many 3rd liners, unproven prospects, and soft forwards that are atrocious on the forecheck/along the boards.

Guys like kulemin, and macarthur are not top 6 material, and I'd like to see kessel off this team all together. He isn't the guy who's gonna score the big goals against teams like boston/NY/philly, and those are the teams we will have to face once we get into the post season.

lupul---????---????
JVR ---Grabo---????
kadri---bozak---kulemin
orr/brown---mcclement---/komarov

I think these are the hole's we should be looking at filling right now.

Last edited by AuGsY: 01-27-2013 at 07:26 PM.
AuGsY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuGsY View Post
My biggest problem with this leaf team is our forward group. Too many 3rd liners, unproven prospects, and soft forwards that are atrocious on the forecheck/along the boards.

Guys like kulemin, and macarthur are not top 6 material, and I'd like to see kessel off this team all together. He isn't the guy who's gonna score the big goals against teams like boston/NY/philly, and those are the teams we will have to face once we get into the post season.
Burke banked his job on Kessel and Wilson, 2 are gone now. Only one left, for how long, who knows?

Kessel is a talented player and he is contributing when he is scoring, unlike true franchise players he offers little when he is not producing, he doesn't scream follow me, he doesn't have the leadership intangibles a player like Toews has.

When Burke made this deal, I was ok with it, but as we see Seguin and Hamilton contribute to the Bruins and wonder what if. For me it is better to deal him and forget this spectre looming over Leafs nation heads. Wrong player, at the wrong time for this franchise.

We have to max out his value in a trade and recoup our losses so we can rebuild properly. April trade deadline hopefully.

He will score soon, and I am sure some posters will say, yeah but we want to trade our best scorer. This would be shortsighted.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
Seriously. He's just a bad times hockey player like Niklas Hagman/Lee Stempniak.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
He's an incredibly selfish player. This guy takes the (awful) shot every time. Watch him on 2-on-1s.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:49 PM
AuGsY

Kessel performance last season vs arguably the toughest teams in the east

vs boston: 1 goal in 5 games

vs NYR: 0 goals in 4 games

vs philly 1 goal in 4 games

Old
01-27-2013, 09:57 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
The overreaction is hilarious. Ive been saying the D is atrocious since Schenn has been dealt and i knew even with a defensive system wed get killed. No one wanted to listen and now is on the "sell what ever is worth anything for anything" boat which is an even worse direction for this fan base.

Im happy with this current roster. Im happy with Kessel and im happy with Phaneuf. What Im not happy with is the role players. Players like MacArthur, Steckel, Kostka, Komisarek, Franson, Liles, those are the players that need to be upgraded, the players that need to be replaced. Sell of Phaneuf and Kessel now and well be looking far and wide for a #1D and #1 goal scoring winger in addition to a #1G and #1 C. Just because they arent players you build around, doesnt mean they are players you just toss of the team for overrated ****ing picks!!!

As it stands this team has the foundation to be a playoff threat if some holes are filled.

Lupul - XXXX - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - Kulemin
XXXX - Kadri - Frattin

Phaneuf - XXXX
Gunnarsson - Gardiner
XXXX - XXXX

Reimer/XXXX

A vet 1b goalie, a #1C and a #2D. Deal Kessel and Phaneuf for prospects and picks and you get:

Lupul - XXXX - XXXX
JVR - Grabovski - Kulemin
XXXX - Kadri - Frattin

XXXX - XXXX
Gunarsson - Gardiner
XXXX - XXXX

Reimer - XXXX

Does anyone realize how very slim the chances that "picks and prospects" will fill those holes. Thats major, thats starting with beyond nothing and hoping that everything pans out in your favour. This team without Kessel and Phaneuf is in even rougher shape unless they return a current young high potential player. Dealing for picks and prospects would be worthless considering those dealing for them are contenders who usually dont have blue chip prospects and 1st round picks would be late.

Quote:
Kessel performance last season vs arguably the toughest teams in the east

vs boston: 1 goal in 5 games

vs NYR: 0 goals in 4 games

vs philly 1 goal in 4 games
They are the best team for a reason.... You always target the threat of a team, especially when there is little else to worry about.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:01 PM
AuGsY

Even still, 2 goals in 13 games for a pure goal scorer like kessel who offers next to nothing defensively is unacceptable.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:08 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Even still, 2 goals in 13 games for a pure goal scorer like kessel who offers next to nothing defensively is unacceptable.
You have to think about what he adds to those games. When Chara is chasing Kessel around weaker D's are matched against Grabovski/Kulemin/JVR etc. Sure Kessel's production suffers, but when you have a consistent threat like that they take lesser lines lightly and thats where their offence is produced.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:13 PM
marty111

A top draft pick this year and maxing out on Ryan Getzlaf in unrestricted free agency - assuming he gets there - would change this franchise around in a few short summer months.

marty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:24 PM
AuGsY

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
You have to think about what he adds to those games. When Chara is chasing Kessel around weaker D's are matched against Grabovski/Kulemin/JVR etc. Sure Kessel's production suffers, but when you have a consistent threat like that they take lesser lines lightly and thats where their offence is produced.
last year vs Boston/NYR/Philly: 2 goals in 13 games = .15 GPG

The other 69 games: 35 goals in 69 games = .5 GPG

So your trying to justify that kind of performance drop with "he's forcing Chara to chase Kessel around." You do know that Chara plays close to 30 minutes a game, while Kessel would only be around 20 minutes a game.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:27 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
last year vs Boston/NYR/Philly: 2 goals in 13 games = .15 GPG

The other 69 games: 35 goals in 69 games = .5 GPG

So your trying to justify that kind of performance drop with "he's forcing Chara to chase Kessel around." You do know that Chara plays close to 30 minutes a game, while Kessel would only be around 20 minutes a game.
Are you being serious right now Commentators even highlight this every Toronto and Boston game.