Post-Game: Wild @ Blues 1/27/13

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 10:12 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post

How 'bout this: Put Brodzi on the first line or second line and go from there. Afterall, Brodziak was our leading (goal) scorer last year.

Hackett, ugh???

Hackett is a stud, man.
His play this year has been pretty sub-par. Kuemper is pretty close to stealing the starting job from him down south.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:13 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Suter hardly did anything during the lockout, he'll come around.
I don't even think it has anything to do with being in game shape. I think signing that massive contract, playing on a new team with a new partner, very high expectations, and not having things start off well have simply spooked him. Parise was talking about a lot of jitters on opening night, but he settled in with some nice plays and got confident. It didn't happen like that for Suter, and he's probably questioning everything he does at this point. He needs one good game. It'd probably do wonders for his confidence and get the ball rolling.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:13 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Didn't Kuemps just start the last 3?

Old
01-27-2013, 10:14 PM
SPMaximus

it might be beneficial to put Granlund on wing this season to take some pressure off and let him adjust

worked well in SM-Liiga and WHC

Old
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
He was helping his brother coach a bantams team or something, iirc.

People need to lighten up on the guy. I've been defending him since day 01 so I am not going to write up some long ass post again, but its getting ridiculous.

Every single goal he is out on the ice for, according to this board, is 100% his fault. He plays almost thirty minutes a game on average. Statistically, that would mean he's out there for half the goals against. But hey, not only is he out there playing half the game, but he plays against the other team's top or second line. That's where, on most team, the majority of points come from.

On this team, with this defense, with this brutal goalie play so far, he's going to be a minus. Some goals are going to be his fault.

But people need to stop blaming him for every single goal. It's ridiculous.
Suter is number 3 in the entire NHL in minutes logged so far this year.

Old
saywut

Five more games like this and we're in trouble. Still no secondary scoring. Can't really complain that Yeo tried something new with the forwards, but I can't really agree with what he's doing with the defense. Suter's clearly struggling and Yeo just throws him out there for almost 30 a night. It was never more apparent at the turning point of the game tonight, shift #18 for Ryan Suter. 4-on-4 hockey with Scandella in the box. After getting a 2-goal lead, Yeo decides to keep Suter(and Gilbert) on the ice. Now thats been a 54 second shift plus whatever ran off before they reviewed the goal. 1 minute shifts are too long in this league, especially in the middle of the game. Guess what, as the 4-on-4 is coming to a close, St. Louis gets to within 1 at 1:55(really over 2 factoring in the time ran off) on Suter's shift.

Yeo also appeared to bench Scandella after his penalty late in the 3rd for the last 5 minutes, though he came back in overtime. I understand Suter's supposed to be our best D, and I'm not advocating benching him or moving him down the depth chart, but let the other guys play. This game went into overtime and we still only had 2 d-men play more than 19 minutes. I don't care if Spurgeon's hurt and we've got 2 guys returning from injury, let them play.

Old
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Sure we do, Trade Setoguchi for a prospect defenseman, waive prosser, call up Zucker and Larsson, Scratch Cullen.
In our dreams......

Old
01-27-2013, 10:16 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
In our dreams......
I don't think it's such a dream. Fletcher has shown willingness to do such things in the past.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Nsjohnson

Quote:
Stoner was one if the biggest problems on the ice when that pair REPEATEDLY got pinned in their own zone. Trying or not, he was completely inept! Gilbert wasn't much better. Suter wasn't as bad as those three, Scandella and Brodin were the only defensemen I was truly pleased with.
This. I mean Falk was bad, but Stoner was just horrendous. As bad as Cullen. Other than the 1st line, only line 4 has any zone control, and it's not quality zone control. Thats just sad when our last line keeps the zone longer than the second and third.

PS, I'm going to the game tuesday. They had better play with a fire blazing under their arse.

Oh, and it's a back to back, Wednesday is a national game against CHICAGO.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:18 PM
LemaireisGOD

http://www.stateofhockeynews.com/201...-vs-blose.html

Here is my post game report. Maybe someday someone not on the top line will score. I have prospect updates on Lucia, Haula and Gilmour. Enjoy!

Old
tyratoku

Forgot about Chicago.

Yikes.

I was thinking about how the 2nd and 3rd lines might be able to get some confidence against Columbus, but looks like no dice. Everyone's hopes and dreams are going to be shattered Wednesday on "Rivalry night"! Whoooooo.

Old
NHL1674
Whatever...

Heaven help us if they lose to the Jackets.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:19 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Heaven help us if they lose to the Jackets.
If that happens I'll legitimately start to panic.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:21 PM
tyratoku

Well hey, if we lose to the Jackets, that means we'll finally be able to count on getting some defensive help!

getitbecausethatmeanswe'dbesobadwe'dgetsethjones

Old
01-27-2013, 10:23 PM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
You're a Minnesota fan. You'll panic now. You'll panic now and you'll like it.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Someone needs to get right in the assistant captains face in the locker room and talk to him about what is expected of him. He can't get position on players, or move them out of the front of the net. These are basic things that a defensemen does in the NHL, and he sucks at them. Is he playing hurt or something? I hate to think that the Wild paid him that kind of money for a offensive defenseman that can't play defense.

There is no offense from anyone outside the 1st line. It's really disgusting to think that with all the new players only 3 can score. Granlund is good with the puck, but holy crap he can't handle physical play at all. He needs to use the gymnasium for more than just cardio workouts. Cullen should also be swapped for Zucker immediately. Let him come in and either take the spot away from Cullen or light a fire under his comfortable old ass.

Backstrom looked bad at times tonight too. He doesn't look like the Backstrom of old. His lateral movement is not very good at all anymore.

If I was Liepold I might make an appearance in the locker room before the next practice myself. There is no way this team should be sub .500 right now. If this crap continues past 12 games which is 1/4 of the season serious changes might need to be made with the players. Other teams haven't "gelled" yet either, but they are finding ways to win.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Nsjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
I'll just run down the stairs tuesday night at the X and charge the glass like a bird.

But honestly, Chicago is going to be really, really ugly. I mean that game could be 6-1.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:27 PM
Karl

It is fortunate that the Wild salvaged a point in this game. The Blues are going to be a deadly team this year, great D and depth. The way they enter the zone and their passing is excellent. The Wild had some bright spots but somebody not named Koive, Parise, and Heatly need to step up and score some goals. Their are no excuses not to.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:28 PM
saywut

Quote:
Stoner was one if the biggest problems on the ice when that pair REPEATEDLY got pinned in their own zone. Trying or not, he was completely inept! Gilbert wasn't much better. Suter wasn't as bad as those three, Scandella and Brodin were the only defensemen I was truly pleased with.
On paper its pretty apparent that 2 big left-handed physical d-men with little puck skills will struggle as a pair. And the TOI report reflects just that, as their 2nd period average shifts were over 1 minute, whereas in the 1st/3rd they were under 40 seconds. Can't move the puck can't get it deep enough to change.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:29 PM
tyratoku

The only positive I can think of for Chicago is that the Wild have Monday and Tuesday to have nice long full practices.

Hopefully they can work some things out. They need it.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

So if winning/losing against the Blues was a measuring stick... What is losing to the Blue Jackets?

Old
01-27-2013, 10:32 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
So if winning/losing against the Blues was a measuring stick... What is losing to the Blue Jackets?
A Mayan calendar.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:38 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsjohn130 View Post
I'll just run down the stairs tuesday night at the X and charge the glass like a bird.
If you do, hold up this letter. They could use the reminder.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sometimes I wonder if other teams struggle SO DAMN HARD JUST TO SCORE SO FEW GOALS. Been like that for years. Other teams it just comes easy, Wild has to scrape and claw just for a couple.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Nsjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
Someone needs to get right in the assistant captains face in the locker room and talk to him about what is expected of him. He can't get position on players, or move them out of the front of the net. These are basic things that a defensemen does in the NHL, and he sucks at them. Is he playing hurt or something? I hate to think that the Wild paid him that kind of money for a offensive defenseman that can't play defense.

There is no offense from anyone outside the 1st line. It's really disgusting to think that with all the new players only 3 can score. Granlund is good with the puck, but holy crap he can't handle physical play at all. He needs to use the gymnasium for more than just cardio workouts. Cullen should also be swapped for Zucker immediately. Let him come in and either take the spot away from Cullen or light a fire under his comfortable old ass.

Backstrom looked bad at times tonight too. He doesn't look like the Backstrom of old. His lateral movement is not very good at all anymore.

If I was Liepold I might make an appearance in the locker room before the next practice myself. There is no way this team should be sub .500 right now. If this crap continues past 12 games which is 1/4 of the season serious changes might need to be made with the players. Other teams haven't "gelled" yet either, but they are finding ways to win.
Agree 100%.

1/4th of the season, as Brian Burke once said, is the time that most teams re-evaluate their roster. I see two, maybe three inept lines. I'd rather see Zucker with all his passion, speed and energy than Cullen or Seto. I think Seto has worked hard though, and I'm not sure it's his fault he isn't producing.
I think once Spurgeon is healthy our D will be OK (right now it's bad). Brodin really is an amazing player for his age. Scandella, while he was not GOOD tonight, was not bad, and for his first NHL game this season showed some upside.
Like I've said earlier, except for our 1st line, we lack that killer instinct to score. It's really, really noticeable with the defense. We desperately need a full out offensive d. NO ONE will shoot from the blue line on the PP. No one will shoot that bomb. The only one I've really seen shoot that is Spurg and Gilbert, and neither have great shots.
I just can't quite put my finger on it, but there is this overall non-conforming thing going on. Parise is the only one willing to take over shifts. The others, even playing hard, are going through motions, accepting fate.

Closed Thread