HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Around the NHL 2012-2013 Season

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 10:36 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
True enough. Like when Tucker went after and beat up Woolley (a complete non-fighter) shortly after we traded for him in 02-03 right in front of the Wings bench and everyone sat back and watched it. No response. You knew that team was going no where and sure enough they did. That's still my least favorite Wings team, just gutless.

And of course everyone remembers Downey tooling Laperriere for his run at Lidstrom and how that year turned out.
That's why I want Tootoo out there 15 minutes a game.
That's why I want a defenseman out there who'll mix it up. One guy who isn't afraid to drop the gloves would be great.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:36 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Is the Central Division becoming terrible again?
Detroit slipping?
Nashville slipping?
Columbus still sucking.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:38 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Northwest Division- No teams have scored more goals than they've given up

Old
01-27-2013, 10:43 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
Is the Central Division becoming terrible again?
Detroit slipping?
Nashville slipping?
Columbus still sucking.
hard to call a division terrible when two teams in it are unquestionably among the leagues best and another two should at least be bubble Playoff teams

it might not have a legit argument for best division this year but terrible is going way too far

Old
01-27-2013, 11:00 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
Just saw Clowe get ejected because of his $0.02 brain...granted the high sticking call was weak, but he totally lost it in the sin bin, and then the ref ejected him.
Yeah, 35 PIM is pretty funny to look at. Pretty sure people will be begging for Ryane Clowe if he hits free agency around here and I want no part of that guy.

This he is a poor mans Lucic that you hear attached to him from time to time makes me laugh. He isn't close to as good as Milan Lucic and Clowe has games where he just flat out doesn't show up and plays selfish me first hockey.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:53 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Depending on how much he costs, I'd take Ryane Clowe, no question.
Right handed. Big. Can play tough hockey.
3 years 12M? Would eat that up.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:00 AM
Roy S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
True enough. Like when Tucker went after and beat up Woolley (a complete non-fighter) shortly after we traded for him in 02-03 right in front of the Wings bench and everyone sat back and watched it. No response. You knew that team was going no where and sure enough they did. That's still my least favorite Wings team, just gutless.

And of course everyone remembers Downey tooling Laperriere for his run at Lidstrom and how that year turned out.
Downey never even played in the playoffs that year and they had the fewest fighting majors in the entire NHL that year when they won. Additionally, they had just 1 fighting major in 22 playoff games, the equivalent of just 4 fighting majors during an 82 game regular season. Kronwall also delivered tons of big hits that postseason and hid behind refs then just like he does now and there was no negative effect.

There is nothing wrong with having tough guys on the team and it can do some good. But, a team that retaliates and fights a lot is not necessarily any better than a team that generally shies away from that stuff and vice versa. The Wings had the fewest fighting majors in the NHL every single season from 05-06 to 11-12 and they were also the team with the most playoff wins during that time. That doesn't imply a causation, but play between whistles is far more important than what happens after it.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:17 AM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

In other news, youngsters Laughton and Dumba have been sent down to juniors. So much for throwing youngsters directly into NHL when they aren't even ready.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:11 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Depending on how much he costs, I'd take Ryane Clowe, no question.
Right handed. Big. Can play tough hockey.
3 years 12M? Would eat that up.
He might be right handed but he shoots left.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Vancouver's culture of wimpiness might have cost them the Stanley Cup Finals against Boston.

Sucker punch their star in the face 5-6 times and nobody responds.
Marchand punches Sedin in the face 5-6 times, Sedin left to complain to the media and the ref.

I'm not asking for the return of the Bruise Brothers... but this "turn the other cheek" BS needs to go away.
Is it a sucker punch if the guy is looking right at you the whole time? I'm probably in the minority with Marchand, but I really like that guy. I know he crosses the line at times, but part of that is just his rep. I'd love to have him playing for the Wings.

I loved watching the B's beat the Canucks in that Final, and that clip is just underrated for how funny it is. The smirk on Marchand's face as the ref separates the guys is priceless- he's thinking "I can't ****ing believe that guy just stood there and took 3 Bob Barker lefts to the face and did nothing about it!"

Old
01-28-2013, 10:28 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
Is it a sucker punch if the guy is looking right at you the whole time? I'm probably in the minority with Marchand, but I really like that guy. I know he crosses the line at times, but part of that is just his rep. I'd love to have him playing for the Wings.

I loved watching the B's beat the Canucks in that Final, and that clip is just underrated for how funny it is. The smirk on Marchand's face as the ref separates the guys is priceless- he's thinking "I can't ****ing believe that guy just stood there and took 3 Bob Barker lefts to the face and did nothing about it!"
When asked why he did it:
"Because I felt like it" or something like that.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:29 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Subban's holdout did not pan out well for him, since he was reportedly looking for Doughty money. 2 years, 2.875 per? Good on Bergevin for standing firm, nice deal.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
In other news, youngsters Laughton and Dumba have been sent down to juniors. So much for throwing youngsters directly into NHL when they aren't even ready.
I thought Laughton was looking good to be honest

He was playing a quality defensive game and I think the Flyers should have kept him up a full year letting him find his offensive game

I was impressed with kid ,, Looks like another quality C drafted by Flyers

Old
01-29-2013, 12:01 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuick View Post
Subban's holdout did not pan out well for him, since he was reportedly looking for Doughty money. 2 years, 2.875 per? Good on Bergevin for standing firm, nice deal.
Also hurts Smith's deal should he really turn it on and have a great season.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:43 AM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

Quote:
When asked why he did it:
"Because I felt like it" or something like that.
Hope you don't mind me dropping by, but Bolland felt the same as Marchand during our playoff wars with them. They're easy to play against and it's just not in their DNA to stick up for themselves. With those guys at the helm it's never gonna change either but it sure as hell is fun to watch.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Also hurts Smith's deal should he really turn it on and have a great season.
I think Holland keeping the training wheels on Smith for too long is what's going to hurt his next contract value. The chances of him having a great season were greatly diminished when KH didn't have him up for most/all of last season to play with Lidstrom and learn from him (I know, I've said this before ).

I almost wonder if one reason for burying Smith in GR for the majority of last season was financially driven, to keep his value down for his next deal. Hope that's not the case, but it is safe to say that he's not having a big stage given the shortened season to nail down a bigger contract.

Smith will get less than Subban, probably less than Del Zotto's $2.55m hit, and a lot less than McDonagh will get from the Rangers after this season as he enters RFA status the same time as Smith.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:55 AM
Malkin112

Pretty high praise from Gretzky about Zetterberg.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

"My favorite player over the last 10 years has been [Henrik] Zetterberg. I think Zetterberg is the best player in the game at a 28-year-old age. He's been so physically beat up from the Stanley Cup Playoffs, Olympics, all that goes with that, but he's just very special. I think he's the best Swedish player they've ever put into the National Hockey League, and there has been a lot of great ones, from [Borje] Salming to [Nicklas] Lidstrom.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:56 AM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back GLR View Post
Hope you don't mind me dropping by, but Bolland felt the same as Marchand during our playoff wars with them. They're easy to play against and it's just not in their DNA to stick up for themselves. With those guys at the helm it's never gonna change either but it sure as hell is fun to watch.
We should sick Abdelkader, Helm, and Tootoo all on a line against them and watch the sisters squirm a bit. Maybe Tootoo will bite Burrows's finger off.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:40 PM
InjuredChoker

Was just watching Sharks-Canucks game.. Canucks are really missing Booth and Kesler. Their D played brutal too. Sharks were great though, intense all the way. Stuart looked good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I thought Laughton was looking good to be honest

He was playing a quality defensive game and I think the Flyers should have kept him up a full year letting him find his offensive game

I was impressed with kid ,, Looks like another quality C drafted by Flyers
Flyers have done awesome job with their first rounders.

03 24th and 11th Richards and Carter
05 29th Downie
06 22nd Giroux
08 19th Sbisa
11 8th Couturier
12 20th Laughton

Also JVR there but he was 2nd overall and didn't work out for them too well. Pitkänen in 02 but he was 4th overall.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:32 AM
InjuredChoker

Tampa is looking very dangerous there.. Stevie Y is looking like genius this season again.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:06 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Coyotes ownership deal fell through again. Looks like NHL hockey has finally started taking its last breaths in Phoenix.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/88...ording-sources

Them wanting to rework the lease with new government officials in office should a new ownership group present itself would seem like the final death blow.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:22 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Coyotes ownership deal fell through again. Looks like NHL hockey has finally started taking its last breaths in Phoenix.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/88...ording-sources

Them wanting to rework the lease with new government officials in office should a new ownership group present itself would seem like the final death blow.
Is anyone surprised? Greg Jamison never showed a single investor who was interested in purchasing the team.

Hockey in Phoenix makes no sense. It's a massive waste of money and the fanbase does not exist.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Is anyone surprised? Greg Jamison never showed a single investor who was interested in purchasing the team.

Hockey in Phoenix makes no sense. It's a massive waste of money and the fanbase does not exist.
I'm just hoping/wishing that the ****storm that is the Phoenix ownership situation would continue to drag itself out long enough for realignment to go through, and the Wings move to the EC. Not wanting to see the 'Yotes move to GTO or somewhere east soon and snuff out the Wings hopes to move to the EC before realignment is actually ironed out.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:36 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Phoenix suffered a fate any team could have suffered: Absolute downright horrible management that no one deserves.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:44 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Phoenix suffered a fate any team could have suffered: Absolute downright horrible management that no one deserves.
Huh? They had great management considering they never had an owner.

Closed Thread