All Purpose Trades/UFA/Roster Discussion Thread (Happy DVM?) Part III

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 09:59 PM
AngelDuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cupcakes View Post
True, I also feel it's detrimental to bench a player like Sbisa. He'll get out of it. Souray is a seasoned veteran and ought to be better than he has been, especially with his contract.
That contract is going to look worse and worse every day for the next 3 years especially once Lindholm / Vatanen are NHL ready

Old
01-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
That contract is going to look worse and worse every day for the next 3 years especially once Lindholm / Vatanen are NHL ready
That's what I've been thinking the last couple of games. If Souray doesn't come around it going to be a long 3 years.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:31 PM
muckbin15
parros16

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
That's what I've been thinking the last couple of games. If Souray doesn't come around it going to be a long 3 years.
amnesty buyout option next year if both are ready would be an ideal situation. might give us the chance to sign a 2c once getz and perry are taken care of

Old
01-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
The deal would be so much better if it was only for 2 years.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckbin15 View Post
amnesty buyout option next year if both are ready would be an ideal situation. might give us the chance to sign a 2c once getz and perry are taken care of
Budget team... Don't know why people keep thinking this is a solution.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:44 PM
NEWFowler
hi

vCash: 50
Sucks to see Sbisa struggling, because at times last year he looked even better than Fowler. I think he'll get over it, though.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:05 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckbin15 View Post
We've covered this before but compliance buyouts are useless to a team like the Ducks who operate on an internal budget. You still have to pay off 2/3 of the contract and then pay the replacement player. All you get is cap relief which is meaningless to us.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:06 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
Sucks to see Sbisa struggling, because at times last year he looked even better than Fowler. I think he'll get over it, though.
That's a huge stretch. He might have looked better for a stretch while playing against other teams third lines while Fowler played the heavy minutes. When you look at things in context Fowler's season was far more impressive.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:09 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
That's a huge stretch. He might have looked better for a stretch while playing against other teams third lines while Fowler played the heavy minutes. When you look at things in context Fowler's season was far more impressive.
Truth. Sbisa was sheltered last year, and Fowler was fed to the wolves. Fowler played against the best forwards in the world last year, and despite not being ready for that - he did a very solid job.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:12 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Agreed... That's not even an option

Old
01-27-2013, 11:15 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
WTF?

Why would they bring up two more young guys who need to play a lot for their development? I can't see either winning regular spots.

Souray and Allen haven't been impressive but their size says Sami isn't replacing them. And Sbisa has started like crap but he is way more proven than Sami.

Etem just doesn't seem like he is far enough along to help on offense. Is BM looking to pull the trigger on a Perry deal?
Yeah man, giving these kids a chance to taste the NHL is going to destroy their development

Etem has been playing fantastic since returning from TC, how about we let these guys have their chance before bashing the move?

oh wait, this same thread had posts about trading Sbisa 2 days ago, after THREE games

Sbisa was great last game paired with Lydman, we're not trading either of them

Last edited by KEEROLE Vatanen: 01-27-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old
01-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Yeah man, giving these kids a chance to taste the NHL is going to destroy their development

Etem has been playing fantastic since returning from TC, how about we let these guys have their chance before bashing the move?

oh wait, this same thread had posts about trading Sbisa 2 days ago, after THREE games
Let me guess top line minutes right? Gosh I'm good 2 goals and 1 assist for Etem the other night. I called this days ago Eddie Shack. Give Etem top line minutes in Norfolk and he will produce! I'm still stranged out by this call up though. Ugh

Old
01-27-2013, 11:53 PM
IDuck

sbisa is fine he just needs to play the left side..looked really good last night there and w/lydman too.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:06 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:

This is the real season. You know, where we try and win a Stanley Cup? This ain't about fulfilling a kid's fantasy to play in the NHL. Tryouts are over. Moves are made now to win NHL games and yes playing guys who aren't ready can have their development hindered by doing so.

Feel free to disagree without being a dick about it.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:08 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Let me guess top line minutes right? Gosh I'm good 2 goals and 1 assist for Etem the other night. I called this days ago Eddie Shack. Give Etem top line minutes in Norfolk and he will produce! I'm still stranged out by this call up though. Ugh
He had top line minutes before all the other guys were called up. That's not what changed.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:20 AM
OCSportsfan

I am surprised by this move (Vatanen) since we are pretty set, so here a few ideas. I assume there is no risk of losing him on waivers so correct me if I am wrong.

1) Needs to have better puck moving on back end - Result - Beach our Souray sits a game

2) Wants to give him a few days with the big club, even if it is practice

3) Potential trade that would include Sbisa. Unfortunately he is the only one where Vatanen would fit, other than Fowler, and I dont think he will be traded.

Maybe Ryan O'reilly + pick for Holland, Sbisa

I am not sure I like any of the options, but if we get him here you go.

Palmieri-Getz-Perry
Ryan-O'Reilly-Selanne
Winick-Koivu-Cogs
Beleskey-Bonino-Maroon (I hope he gets called up)

Old
01-28-2013, 12:25 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Budget teams still buyout players when necessary.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:27 AM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCSportsfan View Post
I am surprised by this move (Vatanen) since we are pretty set, so here a few ideas. I assume there is no risk of losing him on waivers so correct me if I am wrong.

1) Needs to have better puck moving on back end - Result - Beach our Souray sits a game

2) Wants to give him a few days with the big club, even if it is practice

3) Potential trade that would include Sbisa. Unfortunately he is the only one where Vatanen would fit, other than Fowler, and I dont think he will be traded.

Maybe Ryan O'reilly + pick for Holland, Sbisa

I am not sure I like any of the options, but if we get him here you go.

Palmieri-Getz-Perry
Ryan-O'Reilly-Selanne
Winick-Koivu-Cogs
Beleskey-Bonino-Maroon (I hope he gets called up)
That's an awful lot to give up for RFA rights if a trade is coming. Holland and Sbisa? Two roster players for one who may not even sign here? I doubt it

Old
01-28-2013, 12:28 AM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
What is it that is so necessary?

Old
01-28-2013, 12:36 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Sure we could (I do still remember Bertuzzi ) but with an internal budget we still don't get a mulligan. The internal cap doesn't go up.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:39 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
This is the real season. You know, where we try and win a Stanley Cup? This ain't about fulfilling a kid's fantasy to play in the NHL. Tryouts are over. Moves are made now to win NHL games and yes playing guys who aren't ready can have their development hindered by doing so.

Whos' to say Etem can't help the team? You are all rushing to judgement before even seeing him play a game in the NHL, what if he can help our pathetic PK? then he is contributing to the team.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:43 AM
Paul4587

Quote:

Agreed 100%. This isn't the time to throw kids into the fire just to get their feet wet. We should be icing the best lineup every night with few exceptions.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:50 AM
OCSportsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
That's an awful lot to give up for RFA rights if a trade is coming. Holland and Sbisa? Two roster players for one who may not even sign here? I doubt it
I did not say I wanted to do it, but if they are willing to , it would probably take something like that. also, I am sure there would have been discussions prior to insure he would sign.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:54 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Sure we could (I do still remember Bertuzzi ) but with an internal budget we still don't get a mulligan. The internal cap doesn't go up.
Depends on whether it works similarly as it did in the NBA.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:02 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Whos' to say Etem can't help the team? You are all rushing to judgement before even seeing him play a game in the NHL, what if he can help our pathetic PK? then he is contributing to the team.
It remains to be seen just why the team recalled these guys now but it's far from obvious to most people. When Etem makes the NHL it won't be because of his PK ability it will be for his offense. Sure he could get used on the PK here but where else do you play him? He started off the year very slow in Norfolk. From most accounts he is perhaps picking up his game now. But that's not the same as saying he's tearing up the league and the Ducks need to do something with him. He has in no way proved he is ready for the call up. If the Ducks only purpose for recalling Etem is to use him on the PK and a few bottom six shifts then I don't believe it is in his best interest to be up here.

Sami is very much like Etem. He is developing in Norfolk but he is far from beating down the door of the NHL and demanding the Ducks call him up. The 3 worst D men now are Allen, Souray, and Sbisa. As I previously pointed out, on size alone Sami isn't replacing the two new big guys because size and strength are not his game. And while Sbisa has been disappointing (with some improvement last game) he is still a far more proven product than a guy who is just getting his feet wet in the A.

So feel free to disagree but considering there are no announced injuries it just isn't so obvious why this move was made. And that's what a lot of people are saying.

Closed Thread