HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 10:10 PM
Zippy316

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiMaiShu View Post
Zubrus-Zajac-Kovy
Elias-Henrique-Clarkson
Darche-Josefson-Butler
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Yea, we need forwards.
Tedenby+Tallinder for an established second liner (Setoguchi).

Zubrus-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Elias-Henrique-Setoguchi
Darche-Josefson-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Makes it that much better.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:10 PM
hlaverty06

While we're dicking around with our forward group lets call up Darcy and Kelly Zajac

Old
01-27-2013, 10:11 PM
CerebralGenesis

I think Clarkson is at his best on the 3rd line but that line right now is our best one so I can understand keeping it together.

Have to find another winger for Zajac and Kovy still. Patch up the depth to bump Bernier and Co. down a line and we can go from there.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
I think the issue is more with our forwards than our defensemen. The Devils are spending too much time in their own end largely because their forwards are not adept at keeping the puck in Montreal's end.

Carter - Gio - Bernier is a fourth line, nothing more. They should not be getting the ice time / matchups they've been getting, but unfortunately we don't have the depth right now.
No doubt about it.

But they are a competent line that you can rely on. They all play a good two-way game and when they are on the ice, you aren't scared ****less as soon as the puck enters the D zone like when Tedenby and Janssen are out there.

In that sense, their passable. Without them, we would be absolutely screwed right now.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
No doubt about it.

But they are a competent line that you can rely on. They all play a good two-way game and when they are on the ice, you aren't scared ****less as soon as the puck enters the D zone like when Tedenby and Janssen are out there.

In that sense, their passable. Without them, we would be absolutely screwed right now.
Without a doubt, but they are much more dangerous and useful as a true 4th line because they match up so much better in that role. Why I think we could get away with Henrique returning Darche/Butler, and at least a solid 3rd liner. I'd prefer a 2nd line forward to slot Clarkson down to really spread the wealth, but I think it is most important to get CBGB back as a 4th line, as well as getting Henrique back to add more skill to the 2nd line and get Elias back on the wing.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Bologna 1
Formerly AirheadPete

definitely could use another big body up front and yeah still not seeing anyone that has been a good fit w/ kovalchuk and zajac.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:47 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirheadPete View Post
definitely could use another big body up front and yeah still not seeing anyone that has been a good fit w/ kovalchuk and zajac.
Henrique will slot in nicely up there.
Then a Poni-type player (hopefully to be had for cheap again) to slot in the middle-6 somewhere and I think we're ok.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:49 PM
Mgd31

Yea I think Henrique will just take Parise's spot on the top line. Although not sure how people will feel about Henrique playing wing or if Deboer will go that way.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:51 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Given the lack of options, I can't assume he wouldn't try.

And Elias has improved 10 fold on his faceoff issues, leaving me that much more comfortable if he wounds up getting slotted back at 2nd line center for the rest of the season.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:56 PM
DerekDevils30

Had a dream we acquired Curtis Glencross from the Flames for Tedenby straight up. Poop.

You better believe Lou is looking at all options right now. Maybe it's a quick call to Sykora and his agent for a 1 year deal...but, I do think that Lou is going to move a d-man or two for some forward help. Not sure when but it's got to happen. I love the CBGB line but they need to be the 4th line. One that can outright dominate in that role.

Props to the top two lines early in the season. They are scoring consistently for us. Elias and Clarkson seem to have real good chemistry together. Slot Henrique in on that line and that's a very nice second unit. Zubrus on the top line with Zajac and Kovalchuk works well, too.

Now it comes down to plugging the holes on the 3rd line. Josefson fits well as the centre here. I wish Tedenby would show us more but he's been struggling mightily. I think Butler deserves a chance. He may mesh well with the Josefson who is a pretty good playmaker.

Funny how the defense has become so deep the last year or so and our forward group lacks depth. I expect Lou has something up his sleeve. Let's hope so.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:06 PM
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Tedenby+Tallinder for an established second liner (Setoguchi).

Zubrus-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Elias-Henrique-Setoguchi
Darche-Josefson-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Makes it that much better.
Really don't want to give the Minnesota Heat any more roster players to be honest.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:26 PM
HeliDevil
Legend

Unfortunately Teddy has about zero value, I don't think anyone would do Tally + Boo for a decent depth player.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:30 PM
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
Unfortunately Teddy has about zero value, I don't think anyone would do Tally + Boo for a decent depth player.
Calgary would I'm sure I mean they gave us a 5th for PL3 FFS haha.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:35 PM
Bleedred
Bring back Sallinder

I just wanna see Butler up. We don't have the room right now so forget Darche. I think we'll need a little more than just Henrique back if we wanna go on a tear. I have a bad feeling if we lose somebody we'll see crap like Sestito up again.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:38 PM
apice3*

I believe Matteau and Darche are linked and Butler and Tedenby are linked. When one goes, the other arrives.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:45 PM
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I believe Matteau and Darche are linked and Butler and Tedenby are linked. When one goes, the other arrives.
Yeah I think this is very likely as well.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:45 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Bleed made the correct point though that we can't have both on the roster and keep everyone else when Henrique returns. To many men. One of the D-men would have to be traded for no NHL players, someone would need to get hurt, or Cam/Barch would need to be banished. I'd totally be in favor of banishing Cam/Barch, but I'm not sure that is likely to happen just to clear a spot for Butler.

Also I REALLY doubt Lou would want to bring up Butler for a few games, then when Henrique back try to send him back through waivers a 2nd time. I think it would be best to sign Darche, send Cam and Tedy down and bring Butler up when Henrique returns. Then trade one of the D-men and give the new forward that spot.

What most likely will happen is Matteau will go back to the Q, Darche will take his spot, Henrique will take Tedy's spot, and new forward will take the extra D-man's spot. With Butler staying in the A unless someone gets hurt. 90% chance this is how the whole line up juggling will play out.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:52 PM
HeliDevil
Legend

I don't think Lou makes a move until we get Henrique back and he evaluates where we're at then.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:45 AM
kiwidevil

Kovy needs to stop taking a penalty a game too. He is leading the team in +/- at 5 though. Which seems weird.

While Zids is struggling a bit he is still doing his job with 3 points in 4 games along with 2 shots per game.

I like that our forwards seem to have chemistry, just a few additions in Henrique and maybe another and we will be solid as. Kovy - Zajac, Elias - Clarkson and with the help of Zubrus have carried the team quite well as whoever plays beside these pairs seems to get carried along. It is becoming pretty clear we can't rely on JJ to be the 3rd line offensive depth so we need to get him some points on his wings. Maybe having Henrique with him may be what's needed to carry him along. May also help get Kovy and Zajacs minutes down.

xxxxx - Zajac - Kovy
xxxxx - Elias - Clarkson
Henrique - Josefson - xxxxx
Carter - Gionta - Bernier

Plug and play everyone else into the holes.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:06 AM
RafaNadal

What is going on with Larsson? Why is he not playing? With playing in ahl and the short camp i expected him to make the lineup.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:10 AM
Scottyk9
Stuck in purgatory.

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrollhunter View Post
What is going on with Larsson? Why is he not playing? With playing in ahl and the short camp i expected him to make the lineup.
The theory is the Devils are showcasing all their veteran D looking for a trade

Old
01-28-2013, 08:04 AM
The Green Unit

Kovalchuk taking more penalties just tells how more implicated in the defensive game he is, getting closer to the prototypical 2 way forward.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:06 AM
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays

Kovy has been great for us so far in my opinion he didn't get into any bad habits while in Russia either I'm very happy with him.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Take Notes
Reaching for the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevilsjds View Post
Kovy has been great for us so far in my opinion he didn't get into any bad habits while in Russia either I'm very happy with him.
He has been great on the score sheet and he is playing well defensively, but sometimes he seems like he's lacking urgency in the way he plays

Old
01-28-2013, 08:59 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Notes View Post
He has been great on the score sheet and he is playing well defensively, but sometimes he seems like he's lacking urgency in the way he plays
He is always this way. Some games he really brings it, others he just seems disinterested. It's a fact of life with him. I'm OK with it because he has soooo much talent that he can afford to do that (and he plays so damn much he probably can't go all out all the time anyway), but it's why I don't want him to be the captain.

Closed Thread