HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

who would you want to see phoenix pursue via trade

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 09:50 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
If Weiss refuses to talk extension in season, I wouldn't trade for him. He will just leave.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:03 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
If Weiss refuses to talk extension in season, I wouldn't trade for him. He will just leave.
Well that would depend what you are giving up wouldn't it? Who was the last pure rental 2nd line type who was shipped out and what did they fetch?

Old
01-27-2013, 10:03 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
I don't know about that. He's been in Florida his whole career and hasn't been able to to do much with them. I don't think he's the type who's really selective about where he goes, just looking for a change.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:12 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Well that would depend what you are giving up wouldn't it? Who was the last pure rental 2nd line type who was shipped out and what did they fetch?
Paul Gaustad got a first round pick and he's a career fourth liner.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:16 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
I don't know about that. He's been in Florida his whole career and hasn't been able to to do much with them. I don't think he's the type who's really selective about where he goes, just looking for a change.
I'm guessing he just knows some team is dying to go full retard on his next contract. Amnesty buy outs will leave the same idiots who dolled out those bad deals all kinds of funny money to throw around yet again.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:31 PM
cobra427

My guess is Lankow and If not Connolly. I think a Yandle for ROR type deal or player could work but I see that as unlikely now. GMDM is in a position of weakness, since everyone now knows they are 1-4, and desperately need a center. He won't be able to negotiate from strength, so we might be biting the bullet and using the scrap pile....

Old
01-27-2013, 11:23 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

ROR wants $5million per year...and yes, if we did want to sign him for that amount, we'd have to give up a player like Yandle.

With the upcoming bumps in contracts for Vrbata, Boedker and OEL, I don't think we can afford a ROR

Old
01-27-2013, 11:37 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
ROR wants $5million per year...and yes, if we did want to sign him for that amount, we'd have to give up a player like Yandle.

With the upcoming bumps in contracts for Vrbata, Boedker and OEL, I don't think we can afford a ROR
I guess you are right. It'd have to be ROR+ for Yandle, from a financial standpoint.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:45 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Quote:
I guess you are right. It'd have to be ROR+ for Yandle, from a financial standpoint.
I know that there are many people on this board who would take ROR+ for Yandle in a nanosecond, but I've never wanted to take someone else's problem. We've had more than our share of problem players and I don't want history to repeat itself.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:03 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I know that there are many people on this board who would take ROR+ for Yandle in a nanosecond, but I've never wanted to take someone else's problem. We've had more than our share of problem players and I don't want history to repeat itself.
Fair enough. Especially considering Yandle's loyalty and the fact that he might outscore ROR every season for the rest of their careers.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:26 AM
CREW99AW

rt has suggested the following trade and no take backs allowed:Niederreiter and Nielsen for Torres and Yandle.

Like Yandle,Frans is homegrown and unhappy to be dealt. Both are pros though and will act like pros. 20 yr old Nino is gleefully packing his bag

Old
01-28-2013, 08:31 AM
Rutkowski

IMO, Islanders need to add. Yandle is better than he showed in the first three games and trading him and Torres for a prospect and a 3rd line center(okay, second line in Phoenix) is not doing him justice.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:45 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutkowski View Post
IMO, Islanders need to add. Yandle is better than he showed in the first three games and trading him and Torres for a prospect and a 3rd line center(okay, second line in Phoenix) is not doing him justice.
take Torres out.

I'm not knocking Torres, but the isles have a couple of big, physical forward prospects in B. Nelson and Kabanov. Add in two way forwards like Sundstrom, Cizikas and Ullstrom, Torres is a luxury. Isles would rather have their cheaper kids taking that bottom 6 spot.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:13 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:

I think that's the # the media put out there. More like ~ $4 mil/

thought about a RO'R & Downie 4 Yandle trade awhile back, but Downie is hurt and RO'R is still unsigned. Ryan is one of the few players I wouldn't mind losing Yandle for.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Torres doesnt matter much in a deal like that. Very imaginative though and really benefits both teams. In the end though Yandle is Phoenix through and through, I find it hard to see him leaving even with OEL's progress and the depth in defense.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:38 PM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

As impractical as a trade might be, can't think of many players I would rather see in Yotes jersey than Couturier. Born in Phoenix, big 2 way guy who can score and is only 20. Realize it would likely take OEL to get him and neither Philly nor the Yotes are likley to pull the trigger on something like that.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:11 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Especially considering Yandle's loyalty and the fact that he might outscore ROR every season for the rest of their careers.
But ROR brings better defense to the table than the effin defenseman in that conversation. I like Yandle's personality. I do not like his wild inconsistency, his softness and his penchant for gambling at the worst times. Teams have figured him out, to a certain degree. He is no Karlsson. A captain should be capable of throwing hits and holding his own in a fight. Call it old school or narrow minded, but that's how I feel. After so many years of Doan, you sort of come to expect it.

I would absolutely trade him for something like O'Reilly and Sgarbossa, or ROR and a nice pick. Hell, I'd even start throwing in Michigan products if they want to give us even more value.

ROR would, in all likelihood, be the most complete center to ever play for this team. Dave Tippett would fall in love. A pairing with Boedker makes for a line virtually guaranteed to out score opponents. Did I mention we'd still have Hanzal? It would give Tippett two lines he can roll, without any concerns as to who the opposition has out there. ROR + Hanzal is the type of 1-2 punch that can win cups.

Still a very difficult trade to make and sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZviaNJ View Post
As impractical as a trade might be, can't think of many players I would rather see in Yotes jersey than Couturier. Born in Phoenix, big 2 way guy who can score and is only 20. Realize it would likely take OEL to get him and neither Philly nor the Yotes are likley to pull the trigger on something like that.
Couturier is good, but he isn't OEL good. Flyers would probably trade Brayden Schenn first, but Couturier is the one I'd want. Hanzal with more offense.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:50 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
I like Yandle's personality. I do not like his wild inconsistency, his softness and his penchant for gambling at the worst times. Teams have figured him out, to a certain degree. He is no Karlsson. A captain should be capable of throwing hits and holding his own in a fight. Call it old school or narrow minded, but that's how I feel. After so many years of Doan, you sort of come to expect it.
I completely agree with you there. I hate goons and staged fights, but a team captain needs to handle his own physically IMO. Yandle's softness has always bothered me. And yes, I do believe he's been figured out. He's a wild card, but also a bit of a one trick pony.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:00 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Clearly I'm not as sour on Yandle as most, but it's easier to say "screw this season, 48 games is BS anyway" than it is to actually feel that way. I want to compete. I want to make the playoffs. With the way Schlemko and Morris are playing, and the way OEL is progressing, and how I expect Michalek to settle in and Klesla to return...I can see being better with a couple of much better pieces up front instead of Keith Yandle.

I worry about chemistry, though.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:22 PM
XX
... Waiting

David Steckel

1.1 million

58% FO, took 25% of Toronto's faceoffs last year.
edit: the only guys who had more wins (%) with more draws were Bergeron and Toews. That's elite. Higher than Vermette and Gordon.

6'6, 215. His hits over 82 games would be good for top 25 among all forwards.

Scratched 4 times this season. Probably dirt cheap.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:38 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
David Steckel

1.1 million

58% FO, took 25% of Toronto's faceoffs last year.
edit: the only guys who had more wins (%) with more draws were Bergeron and Toews. That's elite. Higher than Vermette and Gordon.

6'6, 215. His hits over 82 games would be good for top 25 among all forwards.

Scratched 4 times this season. Probably dirt cheap.
He's also thirty years old, has never hit ten goals or twenty points in the NHL, thus far. I want Gordon to be the fourth line center, not get moved up the depth chart. I just want a little more scoring in a Lombardi replacement. That said, if there is really nothing out there, you can do worse than Steckel who is all of the things you mentioned, plus a guy who generally is #1 in PK time for forwards, regardless of what team he plays for.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:56 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
He's also thirty years old, has never hit ten goals or twenty points in the NHL, thus far. I want Gordon to be the fourth line center, not get moved up the depth chart. I just want a little more scoring in a Lombardi replacement.
I want a lot of things. Doesn't mean I'll get them. Steckel lets you roll 4 lines that can be counted on to possess the puck. Probably the best 4 centers in the league, FO wise. There aren't many options out there to replace Lombardi or keep this team together that don't involve moving significant pieces. Yandle has a 5.25 hit. You could realistically trade him for ROR, sign ROR to an escalating contract and use the change to go out and acquire another forward. Or try and get Sgarbossa included, hope he turns into an NHLer.

Realistically, whoever we trade/sign is going to be riding with Torres and Moss. Offense is a bonus when paired with those two.

A bottom 6 of:
Torres - Gordon - Moss
Klinkhammer - Steckel - Johnson
Chips

is much better than the crap we are icing now. This team absolutely has to find a way to get the 3rd and 4th line players more ice time, or they will lose every back-to-back and be gassed come March and April. The goal being to just possess the puck and hit the other team a lot. That's all you can hope for. The Coyotes do not have the luxury of sexy hockey. Also, I'd love to trade Biz away.

Go through the depth charts. Just not a lot of options out there.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:11 PM
hbk

Quote:
I'd expect either size or speed. Langkow brings neither.
never said i agree with it. just strikes me a as a Maloney move.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:36 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
never said i agree with it. just strikes me a as a Maloney move.
So did bringing back Brule. I just think they've turned the page on guys who don't bring one or the other (at least when bargain hunting).

Old
01-28-2013, 07:38 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I want a lot of things. Doesn't mean I'll get them. Steckel lets you roll 4 lines that can be counted on to possess the puck. Probably the best 4 centers in the league, FO wise. There aren't many options out there to replace Lombardi or keep this team together that don't involve moving significant pieces. Yandle has a 5.25 hit. You could realistically trade him for ROR, sign ROR to an escalating contract and use the change to go out and acquire another forward. Or try and get Sgarbossa included, hope he turns into an NHLer.

Realistically, whoever we trade/sign is going to be riding with Torres and Moss. Offense is a bonus when paired with those two.

A bottom 6 of:
Torres - Gordon - Moss
Klinkhammer - Steckel - Johnson
Chips

is much better than the crap we are icing now. This team absolutely has to find a way to get the 3rd and 4th line players more ice time, or they will lose every back-to-back and be gassed come March and April. The goal being to just possess the puck and hit the other team a lot. That's all you can hope for. The Coyotes do not have the luxury of sexy hockey. Also, I'd love to trade Biz away.

Go through the depth charts. Just not a lot of options out there.
Like I said, you can do worse, and he'd likely be a good fit. Your third line is what I want my fourth line to be, and your fourth line, is what I want down in the AHL. Again, want in one hand and **** in the other, right? Still, if we're trading with Toronto, I'd prefer Connolly to Steckel if possible. If they are unwilling to eat more salary, than I'm good with Steckel as the 4th C, rather than Chipchura who I like as the 4th LW (much more so than Klinkhammer).

Closed Thread