HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Official 2012-2013 Season Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 09:40 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
Hey guys, I was going to create a poll on the main boards regarding the Blues depth. Can you tell me if this depth chart is accurate (when the Blues are at full strength)? Positions don't matter, but their place within the lineup does (ie. it doesn't matter if McDonald and Steen switch positions on the same line, but their classification as the 2nd line rather than the 3rd line does).

David Perron-David Backes-T.J. Oshie
Andy McDonald-Alexander Steen-Vladimir Tarasenko
Jaden Schwartz-Patrik Berglund-Chris Stewart
Vladimir Sobotka-Scott Nichol-Jamie Langenbrunner

Kris Russell-Alex Pietrangelo
Barrett Jackman-Kevin Shattenkirk
Ian Cole-Roman Polak

Jaroslav Halak
Brian Elliot
pretty accurate, just replace Langs with Reaves and switch Russell and Cole

Old
01-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Trap Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
pretty accurate, just replace Langs with Reaves and switch Russell and Cole
Thanks.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:48 AM
STL Blues Fan

vCash: 50
Is the roster update for NHL 13 out yet? I got the ps3 version yesterday.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:15 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Blues Fan View Post
Is the roster update for NHL 13 out yet? I got the ps3 version yesterday.
a guy in the Vladi Tarasenko thread said they'll do it wednesday or thursday. can't wait!

Old
01-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Thinking Halak deserves the start against the Preds tomorrow. Not like he was very busy las night.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:54 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
Thinking Halak deserves the start against the Preds tomorrow. Not like he was very busy las night.
I think the plan already had Halak at Nashville Monday and Elliott at Chicago Tuesday.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:07 PM
BlueBeard

In the post game audio last night Hitchcock said that the shutout rule is in effect this year. Here's to both Halak and Elliott seeing a few strings of 3+ starts each this year!

Old
01-20-2013, 12:08 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Hitchcock has a tendency to let guys start following a shut-out, too. That is, unless the team starts racking up so many shutouts that its impractical (I think that happened once last year).

Old
01-20-2013, 12:26 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Hitchcock has a tendency to let guys start following a shut-out, too. That is, unless the team starts racking up so many shutouts that its impractical (I think that happened once last year).
I would say that if Halak gets a shutout tomorrow, Elliott will be the starter Tuesday regardless. Yes, the shutout rule is sort of in tact, but you have to keep your guys fresh.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:30 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorton724 View Post
Re entry waivers were eliminated in the new CBA.
Well alrighty then!

Old
01-20-2013, 02:10 PM
ExJbeck

Here is my take on the first game.

Having the same exact team as last season is something I completely underrated. I'd say that my expectations of the season were probably higher than most. Im talking 38-8-2 record. I like our chances, seriously.

Tarasenko WOW'd me, the chemistry with Andy Mac and Steen was amazing to watch. A lot of sustained pressure. Im very excited to see them the rest of the season. Andy please stay healthy. Steen played very well at center other than losing faceoffs. Andy Mac did a good job last night and he can play better.

Backes was a beast. Oshie played a good all around game, love seeing him block shots on the PK then getting the SHG. (what a slick pass from my boy AP) Perron..... obviously didnt do anything detrimental to the team but had too many penalties. I dont care if those were bad calls or not, he should not put himself in that position. It was the first game and I expect he will iron that out. I'm beginning to wonder if this line can be a legit #1 line. If they can continue to build off of last season, we just might see an elite total package line, the kind every team would love to have.

Berglund, Schwartz and Stewart had some solid pressure 5-on-5. Schwartz only played like 14 min and he looked like he deserved to be in the Top 9. I think he is better suited to play for Hitch already then Dags. Berglund was very solid all around and was using his big body and had some good jump in his step.

I love how quick everyone is to overreact to Stewart. I always have defended Stewie. Last season he was off and everyone was quick to jump off the wagon. And now people are jumping back on. I think the series with the Kings really opened his eyes, as if the last years regular wasn't enough. He had the two game at the end last year and last night as well. I was watching all game and he looked noticeable on all but a few shifts, which is far and away better than last season. Very Solid and hope he realizes he need to continue building on that effort. Also, I think Hitch need to settle him down and get him to stop taking penalties when he is sticking up for his teammates. The roughing call was crap, and I understand why he is doing it, but if you're going to take a 2min then make sure it is worth it.

I dont know about anyone else but I think we have the best fourth line in the league. I was pretty sure we did last season and now I am next positive.

AP looked like AP. It is what I expect. Love his game better than anyone else in the league.

Shatty was Shatty, Polak was Polak, Jackman didnt make me cringe, Russel was Russel.

Cole was a little better than I thought he would be, he was better then Carla thats for sure. I only expect to see Redden when some needs a night off.

The PK was well uh what we should expect all season long. They looked just as tenacious as last season. It is great to see such a dominant PK.

In all do respect to our PP and the chemistry they have, I would not count on 4/5 consistently. That is not to say they wont get better either.

Halak looked good, he got a shutout. He had a series of great saves but wasn't pressured much at all. i know I am in the minority but, I think a lot of Blues fans under estimate how easy it is to play behind this roster. I truly believe that a majority of goalies in the NHL would have good-to-great seasons playing here.

With that said, the Wings were awful. Their defense was atrocious and they are going to have a very long season. CC is already a whipping boy and its hilarious.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:07 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I would say that if Halak gets a shutout tomorrow, Elliott will be the starter Tuesday regardless. Yes, the shutout rule is sort of in tact, but you have to keep your guys fresh.
for sure when you are playing 48 games in 99 days.

Old
01-24-2013, 07:28 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

It's been a few days, so let's get this thread back in gear!

Old
01-25-2013, 12:28 PM
stlweir

T j Oshie

He is off to a great start. I dont see any reason that he can't keep this up. Once Perron and Backes get going his production could even get better. He is another exciting member of this Blues team.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
He is off to a great start. I dont see any reason that he can't keep this up. Once Perron and Backes get going his production could even get better. He is another exciting member of this Blues team.
Are you mainly talking about his point production here? Over his career he has been a pretty consistent 0.65PPG over the course of each season, and I think we've all expected that to improve at some point. Hopefully this is the season.

I really don't see it staying on/above PPG pace though, but hopefully I'm proved wrong. It would take our PP being outstanding the entire season.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:20 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
It could just be that he started the season rested and in shape, but he is noticeably faster than before. If he keeps up that speed, a break-out makes perfect sense. The exact same points-per-game and goals leap happened for Backes and Perron when they got a bit faster.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:49 PM
stlweir

After 5 games the Blues are 4-1. 2-1 on the road, 2-0 at home with shutouts in both games. The Hitcock system continues to work and scoring is up with the PP on fire. One forgets how talented DP57 is until he has a game like last night. Backes is a slow stater but it hasn't stopped him from playing a strong defensive game and as usual dishing out a couple of big hits every game. The blues have good goal tending, a great coach, talent and depth. As good as they have played they can play better. That is a scary thought. The only loss was to Chicago on the road and the Blues did everything but tie the game in the third. The Hawks are 5-0. If the Blues can beat the a wild tonight that would be a 5-1 start in 9 days. The Blues are a team that keeps coming at you and has a number of players that will dish out the big hit. There is the right coach and the right GM in place. No crazy Ron Caron trades will happen. Simply put lthis team is good. To win 5 games in the first 9 days would be an awesome start. I look forward more than I have in quite a few years to watch every game. This could be the year of The Blues.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Mike Liut

Once the players who didn't play oversees start getting back to where they should be, the Blues will start rolling. You can certain players just aren't there yet.

Last edited by Mike Liut: 01-27-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old
01-27-2013, 11:16 PM
sbet1998

The 6 The Blues Need to Keep. AKA, the Core

For the STL Blues to have continuous success in the future, they have to keep these 6 players in STL, IMO:

Pietrangelo
Shattenkirk
Backes
Oshie
Perron
Tarasenko

What do you guys think? Can they afford it and still ice a good team around them with their budget? This year has been a perfect storm and I love it, but I cant help but look down the road and see the Blues having to let guys like Polak, Steen, Berglund, etc. walk.

That will hurt if it happens. Those 6 guys look like 40 MIL in 3-5 years.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:30 PM
Mike Liut

If you subtract AMac, Jackman and Stewart's contracts, you could afford the rest. Jaskin and Rattie will be ready by then too.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:31 PM
blue bleeder 24-7

Halak
Pietrangelo
Shattenkirk
Backes
Oshie
Tarasenko

Old
01-27-2013, 11:43 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbet1998 View Post
For the STL Blues to have continuous success in the future, they have to keep these 6 players in STL, IMO:

Pietrangelo
Shattenkirk
Backes
Oshie
Perron
Tarasenko

What do you guys think? Can they afford it and still ice a good team around them with their budget? This year has been a perfect storm and I love it, but I cant help but look down the road and see the Blues having to let guys like Polak, Steen, Berglund, etc. walk.

That will hurt if it happens. Those 6 guys look like 40 MIL in 3-5 years.
I'd start offering long term deals, but there are arguments for and against that. We are now in a cap system that is going to remain around $65m until the summer of 2016, unless something significant changes (team relocation). That probably favours offering bridge contracts to a certain degree.

Also, those guys aren't going to get $40m between them. There is 1 elite player there (Petro) who is worth $6m+, Tarasenko could easily be a second. The other are excellent players but aren't in that class.

The other factor is discounts the players take to stay with an organisation. St Louis is liked by a lot of players for a lot of reasons. Just look at Jackman taking just under $3.2m for 3 years, he might not be a fan favourite, but he could have got around $4m in FA IMO. Backes is signed for another few years, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him taking a discount to stay here when that deal is up.

Even with that, we are still going to keep a deep prospect pool in order to move proven players and bring in guys on ELC's. All about aset management.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:43 PM
sbet1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bleeder 24-7 View Post
Halak
Pietrangelo
Shattenkirk
Backes
Oshie
Tarasenko
Perron over Steen was tough for me, but I felt like Halak might be a product of probably the best defense in the NHL. Sometimes, I feel like a random Beer vendor could suit up and win a game for this team.

Though, Elliot made that look more and more like an assumption with the way he played tonight.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:48 PM
sbet1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I'd start offering long term deals, but there are arguments for and against that. We are now in a cap system that is going to remain around $65m until the summer of 2016, unless something significant changes (team relocation). That probably favours offering bridge contracts to a certain degree.

Also, those guys aren't going to get $40m between them. There is 1 elite player there (Petro) who is worth $6m+, Tarasenko could easily be a second. The other are excellent players but aren't in that class.

The other factor is discounts the players take to stay with an organisation. St Louis is liked by a lot of players for a lot of reasons. Just look at Jackman taking just under $3.2m for 3 years, he might not be a fan favourite, but he could have got around $4m in FA IMO. Backes is signed for another few years, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him taking a discount to stay here when that deal is up.

Even with that, we are still going to keep a deep prospect pool in order to move proven players and bring in guys on ELC's. All about aset management.
I thought about the discounts and all the above, but still think they look like they will make around 40 MIL, maybe 30 on the low end in 3-5 years. One or two might regress, so there's that, but AP + VT will command 13-17 MIL on their own if they continue to play as well as they have.

If DET offer sheets Peitrangelo... Im going to visit them. HAHA

Old
01-27-2013, 11:59 PM
Mike Liut

What is the compensation for losing RFA's to offer sheets?

Closed Thread