HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Justice Served! Isles make it interesting but the right team wins. WPG 5 - NYI 4 OT

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2013, 12:22 AM
  #151
jiho
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
I am hoping that Chevy is paying attention to the waiver wire. He might be able to squeeze a bottom pairing D out of it. Can't be worse than Clitsome has been.
No more waiver pick ups. We already have 25 players. Once Bogo and Mittens get back we have to drop two players. I would love to see Redmond get a chance but he is probably the first one to be sent back to St John's. Then it's either Scheifele back to Barrie or give Peluso back to the Blues.

jiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:26 AM
  #152
alchemyindex
easy is overdone
 
alchemyindex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
I wasn't impressed by Montoya though. It felt like he was a bit off. I'm sure he had a good reason though. Maybe a personal tragedy? Lost a close relative perhaps?
Looks like he had Kane hired to take out Hamonic...

alchemyindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:32 AM
  #153
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiho View Post
No more waiver pick ups. We already have 25 players. Once Bogo and Mittens get back we have to drop two players. I would love to see Redmond get a chance but he is probably the first one to be sent back to St John's. Then it's either Scheifele back to Barrie or give Peluso back to the Blues.
Pretty sure Scheifele is heading back. That solves one roster spot.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:32 AM
  #154
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemyindex View Post
Looks like he had Kane hired to take out Hamonic...
Ya, Kane and Hamonic don't seem to like one another do they?

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:37 AM
  #155
TCsmyth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
I don't recall you defending Hainsey after all the negative posts about Hainsey's bad first game, Hainsey has been good ever since.

Some of the guys can't seem to accept any critique of Enstrom, he was bad tonight, he has been good in every other game, life goes on.
Agree. Toby has been really good this year, was very poor tonight. No biggie, we don't seem to have a problem saying Hains or Stu or Postma were poor...love how Jets fans call it as they see it...

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:46 AM
  #156
DespoticNewt
Registered User
 
DespoticNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,114
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
Agree. Toby has been really good this year, was very poor tonight. No biggie, we don't seem to have a problem saying Hains or Stu or Postma were poor...love how Jets fans call it as they see it...
I have no idea what happened to the crisp breakout passes that Buff and Enstrom had against the Penguins. Their dipsey-doodle passing in the third was a terrible sequence of events.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:48 AM
  #157
StronGeer
Hopeful Fleecer
 
StronGeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 4,286
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
Agree. Toby has been really good this year, was very poor tonight. No biggie, we don't seem to have a problem saying Hains or Stu or Postma were poor...love how Jets fans call it as they see it...
Woah there sir, you cannot talk about our shaky D-men without mentioning Clitnone

StronGeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:55 AM
  #158
Sweech
COYS!
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,754
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post
Woah there sir, you cannot talk about our shaky D-men without mentioning Clitnone
Yeah, there was some false advertising in our GDT. I read Clitmore was playing and we very evidently got Clitnone again.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:55 AM
  #159
TCsmyth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post
Woah there sir, you cannot talk about our shaky D-men without mentioning Clitnone
Thought that was a given...and don't call me sir - way too much respect

Wow, 3-1-1 and I still miss Bogo big time

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:09 AM
  #160
tntkid
Registered User
 
tntkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
Buff seems motivated & has a very accurate slap shot.
Very impressed with him so far this year.

It is only Montoya's first start but he was shaky.
If he performs like this a few more times send him to St John's & bring up Pasqaule.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:15 AM
  #161
ICdave
HFB Partner
 
ICdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,836
vCash: 500
Jets on a Deadline



Game recaps, post-game audio, video highlights and the NHL.com 3 Stars of the night.

To enjoy click here.

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:19 AM
  #162
Gm0ney
Registered User
 
Gm0ney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,595
vCash: 1300
A tumblr site covering the insane callers to the TSN 1290 postgame show? Brilliant!

http://jetzcaller.tumblr.com/

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:04 AM
  #163
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad
 
Gnova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Jetland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,881
vCash: 50
I'm not Clitsome's biggest fan by any stretch and really wish the 3rd pairing would play less minutes but until Bogo is back I'd rather see the D roster stay the same.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:16 AM
  #164
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,270
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Yeah, there was some false advertising in our GDT. I read Clitmore was playing and we very evidently got Clitnone again.
I'll have to have a chat with my sources. Duped, I was.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:35 AM
  #165
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,393
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
I'm not Clitsome's biggest fan by any stretch and really wish the 3rd pairing would play less minutes but until Bogo is back I'd rather see the D roster stay the same.
easier said than done...
our top4 D are already in the top30 for the entire league for 5v5 TOI/game
Byfuglien 1st
Enstrom 8th
Hainsey 14th
Stuart 28th

That means our 2nd pairing D are playing more even strength time than some teams 1st pairing D

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:40 AM
  #166
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad
 
Gnova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Jetland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,881
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
easier said than done...
our top4 D are already in the top30 for the entire league for 5v5 TOI/game
Byfuglien 1st
Enstrom 8th
Hainsey 14th
Stuart 28th

That means our 2nd pairing D are playing more even strength time than some teams 1st pairing D
Skewed numbers since the Jets games this year have had very little special teams time when compared to most.
But I get the point.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:04 AM
  #167
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,393
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
Skewed numbers since the Jets games this year have had very little special teams time when compared to most.
But I get the point.
Not really...

One) that only really effects Stuart, as Byfuglien is pretty consistent on the PP (sometimes taking real long PP shifts) and both Hainsey and Enstrom do both PP and PK work
Two) Even strength time is what matters since it isn't in the PP where we're scared of Postma or Clitsome, plus Postma hasn't touched the PK and Clitsome has received very minimal PK time (and the only other option there would be to give that PK time to either Byfuglien or Postma)

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:36 AM
  #168
Gaald
Registered User
 
Gaald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 316
vCash: 1580
I was not a big fan of Noel starting Montoya this game. It was totally unfair to Montoya. Talk about a pressure cooker. First game since April, you are playing at home with a brand new team, against the team you played for the year before, and with a short training camp, and no preseason games you have barely had any opportunity to shake off the rust. Not to mention the fact there is probably no team out there who knows what your weaknesses are better than the Islanders.

I think the game Montoya should have played was the Washington game. But I guess it's kind of hard to beat the results of these last 4 games.

So even though I thought Montoya looked a little weak in net tonight, I can't blame him for every goal, and the ones he should have stopped can easily be blamed on nerves and rust. I think we will see a much improved performance next time he gets the start.

As for the rest of the team. I thought they played a damn good first 2 periods, but thing that I really liked seeing was how they fought back after the collapse early in the 3rd. A huge improvement over last year. Not that I want to see it happen all the time, but it's nice to know the team has the will to keep fighting for a win.

Gaald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:15 AM
  #169
kurpitsa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 67
vCash: 583
I was watching the game @ 3am (Finnish time). Went to sleep 7 minutes before the game ended.. worst decision ever!!
I was so ******* suprised this morning

kurpitsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:10 AM
  #170
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,148
vCash: 50
What do people really expect from Montoya?

He is a back up goalie, making his first start of a shortened season.
The team in front of him played poorly in their own zone for nearly half the game.

Got beat on very difficult goals to stop.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:42 AM
  #171
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,743
vCash: 500
I have to admit, I wasn't sure what to think when we first signed Montoya back in the summer. He seemed like a AHL-calibre goalie who had one decent season on the one of the worst teams in the league.

However, he's really grown on me. He has pretty good ability and he seems like a genuinely good guy who is liked by his teammates and enjoys playing in a Canadian city. He's also a relatively young guy and fits in well with the the core of the team (he was originally drafted two picks after Ladd and one pick after Wheeler. OT: if we signed hometowner Cam Barker, we'd have the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th overall picks from the 2004 draft).

I know it's only been one game, but I wouldn't mind seeing him be re-signed.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:49 AM
  #172
jiho
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I have to admit, I wasn't sure what to think when we first signed Montoya back in the summer. He seemed like a AHL-calibre goalie who had one decent season on the one of the worst teams in the league.

However, he's really grown on me. He has pretty good ability and he seems like a genuinely good guy who is liked by his teammates and enjoys playing in a Canadian city. He's also a relatively young guy and fits in well with the the core of the team (he was originally drafted two picks after Ladd and one pick after Wheeler. OT: if we signed hometowner Cam Barker, we'd have the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th overall picks from the 2004 draft).

I know it's only been one game, but I wouldn't mind seeing him be re-signed.
First game in 9 months. Was not great but was not bad. He is probably equal to Mason. Pavelec is going to play at least 40 games. He seems happy to be here, signed cheap and will not cause any problems. Any wins and good play from him is a bonus.

jiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:59 AM
  #173
DespoticNewt
Registered User
 
DespoticNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,114
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiho View Post
First game in 9 months. Was not great but was not bad. He is probably equal to Mason. Pavelec is going to play at least 40 games. He seems happy to be here, signed cheap and will not cause any problems. Any wins and good play from him is a bonus.
Read in today's paper about his thoughts yesterday on the victory.

Quote:

If you ever wondered what elation, satisfaction and relief might look like when mixed together, it was perfectly depicted by the look on Al Montoya's face right around 10 p.m. Sunday night.

Check that -- it was the same look being worn by just about every player in Winnipeg Jets colours after a sloppy, all-over-the-place, but highly entertaining 5-4 overtime win over the New York Islanders that was Montoya's first with his new squad.

"That's awesome," said Montoya, who kicked out 21 of 25 shots. "I mean, I couldn't have written it any better. Coming from a building and an organization... well, it was great playing with the Islanders, but we were lucky to get 10,000 fans a night and that was empty.

"To come here in a stadium like this where they support hockey next to none, it's special. And to give them a win going away from here is great."

(...)

And to do it with their No. 1 goaltender on the bench and Montoya in the net could be critical when this condensed schedule hits crunch time later in the spring. So let the man enjoy his moment.

"I waited until that last second in overtime when the goal went in to listen to the fans, and then you hear them erupt," Montoya said. "There's nothing sweeter.

"I thought I gave the team a chance, at the same time, I wanted a few saves. But to get that win... that's all it's about. It's about that getting that win and giving this team a chance. That's why I'm here."
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...188634731.html


Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 01-28-2013 at 09:04 AM. Reason: can't copy+paste entire article
DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:12 AM
  #174
MrGrinch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
LOL... This is great if the creator can keep this up. There needs to be a little more narrative around the featured calls, but the concept is pretty good! This has potential...

MrGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:35 AM
  #175
Ziggy66
Registered User
 
Ziggy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Killarney, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,903
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
What do people really expect from Montoya?

He is a back up goalie, making his first start of a shortened season.
The team in front of him played poorly in their own zone for nearly half the game.

Got beat on very difficult goals to stop.
This

He also looked shakey coming into the first period but take into consideration it was his first NHL game this season. Nice to get a W and get the cobwebs out.

Overall what a game! Too bad Toby had those two bad hiccups but he will turn it up next game and ill be yelling loud in Smittys Tuesday Gotta beat those Canadians or I have to pay for my buddies wings!

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.