AHL Affiliate Discussion II: Norfolk Admirals

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Paul4587

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampeus View Post
Random question: What's up with Brandon McMillan? Have we basically given up on him?
Fractured forearm. He's only 22 - doubt they've given up on him yet.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:57 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Holland got screwed over, barely a chance to cement an NHL spot.

Vatanen called up to be the #7 defenceman? Etem called up to get 8 minutes a night on the 4th line?
Agreed. Kinda feel bad for Holland. Wish he could've gotten a fair chance like Bonino and Rakell have both gotten.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:02 PM
LVDucks238

vCash: 479
Holland needed to go down and get some game action while Rakell finishes his 5 game stint. He'll get called up if Rakell gets sent back to Plymouth, which I think he will.

Either way he'll get a fair chance to earn a full time spot at some point this season, IMO.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:11 PM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Agreed. Kinda feel bad for Holland. Wish he could've gotten a fair chance like Bonino and Rakell have both gotten.
Yeah, I'm hoping they just want to get him some game action. I guess if Rakell plays these next two he could be back for the Saturday game. It's just weird because it's not like Norfolk plays during the week. I don't see how they could've made the decision to demote him based on a game in which he played less than 8 minutes with Beleskey/DSP and one in which the Ducks lost 5-0. He just doesn't fit the lineup atm I guess.

Is it possible he's now eligible to play in the ASG again?

Last edited by Gibson Les Palms: 01-27-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old
01-27-2013, 11:14 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Soo scouts think Lindholm is the next Pietrangelo is this comparable?

Old
01-27-2013, 11:22 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Soo scouts think Lindholm is the next Pietrangelo is this comparable?
In our ****ing dreams they're comparable

Old
01-27-2013, 11:22 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
What scout thinks that?

Old
01-27-2013, 11:32 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
In our ****ing dreams they're comparable
It was on on the draft notes when we drafted him on YouTube. Short segment of him being drafted.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Al4FBpuLw

Old
01-27-2013, 11:56 PM
Exit Dose

As well as TSN. Ducksgo is correct.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:02 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
WTF?

Why would they bring up two more young guys who need to play a lot for their development? I can't see either winning regular spots.

Souray and Allen haven't been impressive but their size says Sami isn't replacing them. And Sbisa has started like crap but he is way more proven than Sami.

Etem just doesn't seem like he is far enough along to help on offense. Is BM looking to pull the trigger on a Perry deal?
He's the next best RW on the depth chart. Who did you guys think they were going to call up if Devo is out? Jay Rosehill? We need penalty killers. Etem is that.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:06 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Lol
Murray: "we're 3-1. We can experiment with Vatanen and Etem. We're still playoff bound either way"

Old
01-28-2013, 12:15 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
He's the next best RW on the depth chart. Who did you guys think they were going to call up if Devo is out? Jay Rosehill? We need penalty killers. Etem is that.
With Etem and Devo playing different style games I have a hard time seeing them as interchangeable pieces. And do we really call up Etem just for his PK?

Old
01-28-2013, 12:22 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
With Etem and Devo playing different style games I have a hard time seeing them as interchangeable pieces. And do we really call up Etem just for his PK?
Different styles? Devo hits more than he does, but I wouldn't call what he does a different style.

I'm sure that he can possibly bring a bit of offense helps, too.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:29 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Different styles? Devo hits more than he does, but I wouldn't call what he does a different style.

I'm sure that he can possibly bring a bit of offense helps, too.
Well, I guess I would call Devo a tough, grinding, hitter (what he should be, not so much what he has shown so far) who can maybe chip in offensively but makes the NHL on his defense more than offense. Etem a fast/quick high scoring threat, not so tough or physical who will make the NHL on his offense as opposed to his defense. I guess that's why I don't see them as interchangeable. Obviously they can both do some PKing.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:42 AM
Paul4587

DSP has played what, 1 minute on the PK this season? Our PK guys are Koivu, Cogliano, Winnik, Getzlaf & Perry. Etem isn't going to be stealing any minutes from those guys. PKing in the AHL is a lot easier than doing it in the NHL.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:44 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Well, I guess I would call Devo a tough, grinding, hitter (what he should be, not so much what he has shown so far) who can maybe chip in offensively but makes the NHL on his defense more than offense. Etem a fast/quick high scoring threat, not so tough or physical who will make the NHL on his offense as opposed to his defense. I guess that's why I don't see them as interchangeable. Obviously they can both do some PKing.
I think that may be where some of the confusion lies. He isn't bad on defense at all. Etem and Wagner are the first guys out on penalty kills, which says a lot for rookies. I don't know where you got the idea that he isn't physical. He isn't as physical as Smith-Pelly, but it's not like he doesn't hit.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:46 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
DSP has played what, 1 minute on the PK this season? Our PK guys are Koivu, Cogliano, Winnik, Getzlaf & Perry. Etem isn't going to be stealing any minutes from those guys. PKing in the AHL is a lot easier than doing it in the NHL.
So now this year's AHL was easier? Recent change of heart?

Old
01-28-2013, 12:54 AM
AngelDuck

Quote:
I think that may be where some of the confusion lies. He isn't bad on defense at all. Etem and Wagner are the first guys out on penalty kills, which says a lot for rookies. I don't know where you got the idea that he isn't physical. He isn't as physical as Smith-Pelly, but it's not like he doesn't hit.
Agreed. Etem is a very solid backchecker. He's one of the only guys on Norfolk who conistently skates back hard.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:09 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Well, I know you've watched him a lot so I will certainly accept that. But for those of us with less access I don't think I've ever seen anybody speak of Etem's defensive abilities. All we hear about is he skates like the wind, works hard, and has scored a lot of goals everywhere he plays. Even around HF all the Etem talk seems centered on how many goals he will score as an NHLer.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:11 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
So now this year's AHL was easier? Recent change of heart?
Easier than the NHL. Harder than the normal AHL.

I think Etem will be able to hold his own at the NHL level in a limited role but don't think he's done enough to warrant a call up and he's not an upgrade over what we already have yet. The call up certainly feels premature to me.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:39 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Well, I know you've watched him a lot so I will certainly accept that. But for those of us with less access I don't think I've ever seen anybody speak of Etem's defensive abilities. All we hear about is he skates like the wind, works hard, and has scored a lot of goals everywhere he plays. Even around HF all the Etem talk seems centered on how many goals he will score as an NHLer.
And how many of those people saw him play outside of a Youtube compilation or his profile at HockeyDB? There are a lot of BSers that hang around the prospect boards that like to sound like they know what they're talking about, but haven't the slightest clue of anything.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:45 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
And how many of those people saw him play outside of a Youtube compilation or his profile at HockeyDB? There are a lot of BSers that hang around the prospect boards that like to sound like they know what they're talking about, but haven't the slightest clue of anything.

Damn, that's scary when this place starts resembling the real world.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:52 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Easier than the NHL. Harder than the normal AHL.

I think Etem will be able to hold his own at the NHL level in a limited role but don't think he's done enough to warrant a call up and he's not an upgrade over what we already have yet. The call up certainly feels premature to me.
I think this is just a cup of coffee. I wouldn't look at it as a permanent move. Who knows, maybe we're trading for O'Reilly?

Old
01-28-2013, 01:56 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
I think this is just a cup of coffee. I wouldn't look at it as a permanent move. Who knows, maybe we're trading for O'Reilly?
True. We'll see what they have planned for him I guess. Hope he can prove me wrong and earn a decent amount of ice time.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:41 PM
Carelton CA

Quote:
The problem with the call ups is IMO trying to fit square pegs in round holes. Trying a guy like Peter Holland at 4th line center is a joke, he's never been and will never be that guy. He's only going to succeed as a top 6 guy with top 6 minutes. Same for Etem and Palmieri, to put those guys in a 4th line role doesn't help them or the Ducks.

With Rakell I feel the same way. Are they going to play him 6-8 minutes a night and burn a year of his ELC for that when that will not be his role in a few years?

Closed Thread