HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Joe Hicketts - Victoria Royals, WHL (2014 undrafted; Detroit)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2013, 11:10 AM
  #1
Scouter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,256
vCash: 50
D Joe Hicketts - Victoria Royals, WHL (2014 undrafted; Detroit)

Was wondering if you think that Hicketts has the potential to be drafted in the 1st round of the 14' NHL draft?

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:24 AM
  #2
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 50
Don't really see it at this point. I don't think he's that far off, though. He's a really skilled point man and plays with a nice edge to his game despite his size.

If he can come to Royals camp next year around 5'10 or 5'11 and 180+ pounds, it will definitely help his chances.

Right now he's 5'8 and under 175, which is damn small.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:26 AM
  #3
Scouter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,256
vCash: 50
Yeah, he's small indeed, and as we all know, if you are going to be a small D man, you better have some serious skills if you are going to make it in the NHL.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:42 AM
  #4
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Don't really see it at this point. I don't think he's that far off, though. He's a really skilled point man and plays with a nice edge to his game despite his size.

If he can come to Royals camp next year around 5'10 or 5'11 and 180+ pounds, it will definitely help his chances.

Right now he's 5'8 and under 175, which is damn small.
The height has to go up for sure. Not too worried about the weight.

I don`t expect him to be a first rounder, unless his offensive production goes through the roof. I love the way he plays though, doesn`t play 5`8`and he`s got room to grow, probably won`t ever be 6`0". If he was he'd be close to the top 10.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:05 PM
  #5
Scouter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,256
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
The height has to go up for sure. Not too worried about the weight.

I don`t expect him to be a first rounder, unless his offensive production goes through the roof. I love the way he plays though, doesn`t play 5`8`and he`s got room to grow, probably won`t ever be 6`0". If he was he'd be close to the top 10.
Hold up, 1st you say you don't think he'll be in the 1rd, then you say if he was a bit taller he would contend for the top 10, that's quite the jump/gap, sounds like at least a late 1rd pick to me.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:28 PM
  #6
The Oncoming Storm
Registered User
 
The Oncoming Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
He might be the best defenseman on the Royals, and he's 16 years old. Yes he needs to grow, but his size is less of a limitation because of how big he plays. Doesn't back down from anyone, gains body position effectively on players six inches taller than him, and never seems to be physically mismatched, despite the fact he is physically mismatched on paper.

Does all the little things right, as well as being a very good skater, great first pass, effective on the point etc.

First rounder? Not at 5'8. At 5'11? I think there's definitely a chance.

The Oncoming Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:29 PM
  #7
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
Hold up, 1st you say you don't think he'll be in the 1rd, then you say if he was a bit taller he would contend for the top 10, that's quite the jump/gap, sounds like at least a late 1rd pick to me.
4 inches isn't a bit.

I can't think of one proven NHL defensman under 5'10".

Ryan Ellis is 5'9" but his offensive skill set is incredible, Hicketts isn't there offensively, but skates better by quite a margin.

Handling 6'2" 185lbs boys in junior is a helluva lot different than handling Ryan Getzlaf if you know what I mean.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:45 PM
  #8
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
4 inches isn't a bit.

I can't think of one proven NHL defensman under 5'10".

Ryan Ellis is 5'9" but his offensive skill set is incredible, Hicketts isn't there offensively, but skates better by quite a margin.

Handling 6'2" 185lbs boys in junior is a helluva lot different than handling Ryan Getzlaf if you know what I mean.
Isn't Enstrom like 5'9?

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:48 PM
  #9
Ryp37
Registered User
 
Ryp37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,297
vCash: 500
^He's listed at 5'10, pretty sure he uses a longer stick than usual aswell

Ryp37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:57 PM
  #10
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oncoming Storm View Post
He might be the best defenseman on the Royals, and he's 16 years old. Yes he needs to grow, but his size is less of a limitation because of how big he plays. Doesn't back down from anyone, gains body position effectively on players six inches taller than him, and never seems to be physically mismatched, despite the fact he is physically mismatched on paper.

Does all the little things right, as well as being a very good skater, great first pass, effective on the point etc.

First rounder? Not at 5'8. At 5'11? I think there's definitely a chance.
Does anyone know how big his parents are, some guys are late in getting their size but at this point unless Joe does he is an outside at top 60 IMO.

He doesn't have a Ryan Ellis or Subban type of skill set to jump up to the 1st round.

I like him a lot but not sure how he will translate to the next level.

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:29 PM
  #11
Scouter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,256
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Does anyone know how big his parents are, some guys are late in getting their size but at this point unless Joe does he is an outside at top 60 IMO.

He doesn't have a Ryan Ellis or Subban type of skill set to jump up to the 1st round.

I like him a lot but not sure how he will translate to the next level.
Why did you mention Subban, he wen't in round 2?

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:25 PM
  #12
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Does anyone know how big his parents are, some guys are late in getting their size but at this point unless Joe does he is an outside at top 60 IMO.

He doesn't have a Ryan Ellis or Subban type of skill set to jump up to the 1st round.

I like him a lot but not sure how he will translate to the next level.
As in Jordan Subban?

If so I'd say Hicketts is a better player.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:41 PM
  #13
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,879
vCash: 500
Really like Hicketts, have been to a dozen Royals games this year and he has really stood out on the back end.

timw33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:41 AM
  #14
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
Why did you mention Subban, he wen't in round 2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
As in Jordan Subban?

If so I'd say Hicketts is a better player.
Yes as in Jordan, I used him as an example off the top of my head as a small guy with good offensive production as there aren't many out there at the D position and probably should ahve stuck with just Ellis.

The point was that it's doubtfull that any team is going to spend a pick on a smaller Dman like Hicketts in the 1st round unless there is a huge amount of offensive production and projection.

Maybe he ends up in the 4th round like Kulak went to Calgary in the 12 draft.

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:59 AM
  #15
Scouter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,256
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Yes as in Jordan, I used him as an example off the top of my head as a small guy with good offensive production as there aren't many out there at the D position and probably should ahve stuck with just Ellis.

The point was that it's doubtfull that any team is going to spend a pick on a smaller Dman like Hicketts in the 1st round unless there is a huge amount of offensive production and projection.

Maybe he ends up in the 4th round like Kulak went to Calgary in the 12 draft.
Ryan Murphy is another small D man who wen't in R1.

I was thinking that Tyson Barrie would be more of a comparable than Kulak, Kulak did not really improve after his draft year, I'm thinking that Hicketts will probably be better than Kulak, but maybe not as good as Barrie.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:03 PM
  #16
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,914
vCash: 500
http://whl.ca/video/index/id/1363039106


Near the end of the highlights Hicketts quite possibly scored the nicest goal scored in the WHL this year.

-----

Aside from that he and Fransoo kept Portland's top line off the scoresheet all game (they still got their chances), he also did a good job targetting Leipsic with physical play. Stood him up at the blueline all night long.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:23 PM
  #17
Skinnyjimmy08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,392
vCash: 500
waaaaay too small... he will be the type of guy that will be in the league till he finishes his 20 year old eligablity and then possibly sign a free agent contract with a NHL team if he plays well... He will have a good solid WHL career and be the future Captain of the Royals and probably go undrafted through his career. Thats my thoughts


Last edited by Skinnyjimmy08: 03-11-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 05:16 PM
  #18
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Xav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cascadia
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,093
vCash: 500
D Joe Hicketts - Victoria Royals, WHL (2015 draft)

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=146172

Kid had a huge rookie season for Victoria with 6 goals and 24 points in 67 games.

From what I saw from him he was on the top pairing with Fransoo and looked like an 18 year old out there.

Anyone got insight on him? He's a 2015 right?

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 05:17 PM
  #19
Daneurism
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 462
vCash: 500
He's 2014. Also, there may already be a thread on him. Not being a jerk, just letting you know that you may be able to find more info on him within that thread.

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:00 PM
  #20
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,914
vCash: 500
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1334341

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:13 PM
  #21
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,920
vCash: 500
He really impressed me at the All-State Canadians game a year or two ago (whenever it was).

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:46 PM
  #22
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Xav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cascadia
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
He's 2014. Also, there may already be a thread on him. Not being a jerk, just letting you know that you may be able to find more info on him within that thread.
My bad, I should have searched. Appreciate you clearing that up though


Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
And there you go...


Cheers guys.

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:32 PM
  #23
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast
 
Jamie Benn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At The Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,847
vCash: 500
Excellent player, very small I agree but he has been the Royals most consistent defenseman game in and game out for the Royals this season.

Excellent skater, great at making smart and consistent plays, not the biggest guy obviously but he can play physical at time, great stick work and positioning. Knows when to jump into the play at the right time, sees the game extremely well and has an accurate shot from the blueline. You hope that he grows about 4 inches and if he does (which I doubt) you will be hearing his name that's for sure.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 05:39 AM
  #24
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,863
vCash: 500
D Joe Hicketts - Victoria Royals, WHL (2014 undrafted)



Not enough can be said about this guy. In his rookie season in the WHL, he was the Royals' most consistent offensive producer while maintaining his own on defense. At just 5'8 and 174lbs, he still utilizes his body and doesn't let his opponents take advantage of it. I believe Joe is one of the more "under the radar" prospects headed into the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, and I feel he deserves more attention as a highly touted prospect. He managed 24 points in 67 games on a struggling Victoria Royals' defensive squad, and was really the "diamond in the rough" in the group of defensemen.

I'm extremely excited to see what Joe brings to the table next season in Victoria, his speed, shot and dynamic style of play will compliment his ongoing maturity at the WHL level, and I believe that he could break out to be a 40 point guy next season and be the powerplay quarterback the Royals don't have, (sorry Cote, you're a beauty but you don't quite cut it in the offensive zone). I'd like to see Hicketts pair up with Kanzig next season, even though I find Kanzig to be a big stupid caveman on defense, (can you tell I'm still scratching my head that Calgary took him in the 3rd round?) he accommodates Hicketts' style of play well.

Hopefully Joe has a successful season and his stock improves.

__________________

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 09:41 AM
  #25
UpGoesRupp
Registered User
 
UpGoesRupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
I'm just glad Victoria had someone to watch this year. I liked hicketts from from what I saw last season. He's gained experience and can only be better this time around

UpGoesRupp is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.