HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 07:44 PM
CBJFan19*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
Well at least this year, Aucoin is just a stopgap and a leaky one at that. There's just something about wiz, I think he'll be traded sometime next season. And I honestly don't know how Erixon and Reilly will turn on. Now you take Murray and pair him with JJ. (if) we draft Jones pair him with Moore on the 2nd and tyuts and nik on the 3rd and still have Erixon as a 7th and Reilly still a few years away. Plus we try to get offense back for wiz, and the other 2 picks in the first. Like I said though who we take (if we pick 1st) is all gonna depend on where LA & NYR end up at. If we end up (somehow) with two top 5 or 8 picks... I could see us taking Jones. Jones is a play making TWD that will play a huge role in both zones. With Jenner making the team next year that takes up another roster spot. Hopefully Johansen moves up the chart. And we still have an opportunity to pick up some serious playmakers like shinkaruk, Monahan, lindholm, etc etc. Who will push out players like Boll Dorsett and Mackenzie, keeping them firmly placed on the 4th line or scratched where they should be.

My thoughts as well...

we could pick 1, 2 and 3 and you still cant come up with any valid reasons to take Jones when you look at the lack of scoring on the team and in the system

Old
01-27-2013, 07:52 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan19 View Post
we could pick 1, 2 and 3 and you still cant come up with any valid reasons to take Jones when you look at the lack of scoring on the team and in the system
I am as big a proponent of drafting the BOPA as there is but your reasoning is just wrong.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:01 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Overlook Seth Jones effect on offense at your

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I am as big a proponent of drafting the BOPA as there is but your reasoning is just wrong.
own peril. How much effect does Chara or Weber have on offense. They blast away from the point & no one wants to jump in to block that shot.. goalies give up rebounds more often.. plus shots go in (thank you Fedor).

I'm not saying not to pick offense we need that too.

Sorry EspenK I meant to quote the guy before you. I think you & I are in agreement

Old
01-27-2013, 08:18 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
5 Games into the season, Draft picks if they were today

4th
6th
8th

at best, according to ISS December Board our draft would look like
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...spect-rankings

Jonathon Drouin LW
Elias Lindholm C
Hunter Shinkaruk LW
That would be as close to a dream draft without a top 3 pick as we could get. Instant re-build. Needless to say it won't happen, our dreams as CBJ fans never come true

Old
01-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslebn View Post
What would you say about a comparison to Chris Chelios as he matured?
I don't think he's that physical, and I don't see that much edge to his game. He uses his smooth skating and quick stick to break up plays defensively, and skates the puck up the ice with quick moves and passes. Really, the Scott Niedermayer comparison is absolutely like his playstyle, but he's not as much of a "rover"; he stays more in position and prefers to play the defensive side of the puck.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:10 AM
CBJFan19*

I think Shea Thedore is going to be a name to watch at the end of the first. Looks like a more advanced Mike Reilly. Would be awesome to have 2 defensemen with 30+ point potential and play really good D

Old
01-28-2013, 03:12 AM
CBJFan19*

Quote:
You must enjoy watching the lowest scoring offense in the league year in and year out. Yeah lets draft defense and lose 1-0 or 2-0 insted of 3-0 woo hoo!!!!

Old
01-28-2013, 05:50 AM
EspenK

Quote:
You must enjoy watching the lowest scoring offense in the league year in and year out. Yeah lets draft defense and lose 1-0 or 2-0 insted of 3-0 woo hoo!!!!
I didn't say that. Don't make be go blah on you. Pay attention to what you read. What I said (implied) was to pass on Jones if we were picking 1,2,3 is insane. Picking #1 only, at this point i say take MacKinnon.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:56 AM
CBJFan19*

Quote:
I didn't say that. Don't make be go blah on you. Pay attention to what you read. What I said (implied) was to pass on Jones if we were picking 1,2,3 is insane. Picking #1 only, at this point i say take MacKinnon.
i would pass on Jones if we picked 1,2,3 absolutley. when you're the worst or near the worst scoring team and have nobody in you're prospects who could consistantley break 30 goals then you need as much scoring as you can get and hope someone or 2 pans out and becomes a scoring star

you can have all the elite D prospects in the world, but you'll go 0-82 every year when no one can score enough

Old
01-28-2013, 08:03 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

I understand your point that we need offense

Quote:
i would pass on Jones if we picked 1,2,3 absolutley. when you're the worst or near the worst scoring team and have nobody in you're prospects who could consistantley break 30 goals then you need as much scoring as you can get and hope someone or 2 pans out and becomes a scoring star

you can have all the elite D prospects in the world, but you'll go 0-82 every year when no one can score enough
but don't even do that in your fantasy league - Pick Jones, deal someone else if you have too.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:10 AM
CBJFan19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
but don't even do that in your fantasy league - Pick Jones, deal someone else if you have too.
and you're assuming you're going to get someone as good as the draft picks in a trade?

Skip Jones, Take offense, easy choice

Old
01-28-2013, 08:27 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
and you're assuming you're going to get someone as good as the draft picks in a trade?

As a new fan of hockey, don't you think it might be more appropriate for you to be a bit less certain of yourself? I'm willing to accept that you're a remarkable quick learner, but how about considering the possibility that you might not have mastered the game overnight? Perhaps you're right in your strongly held positions, but you could benefit from understanding that there's just the remote possibility that other viewpoints have value, as well.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:27 AM
candyman82

Quote:

I disagree. Seth Jones has the potential to be a very special defenseman. We can draft forwards with the other two first round picks we have; this draft has a multitude of excellent forward prospects. A guy like Seth Jones doesn't come along very often, and it would be a mistake for any team to pass up a guy like that.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:56 AM
CBJFan19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
As a new fan of hockey, don't you think it might be more appropriate for you to be a bit less certain of yourself? I'm willing to accept that you're a remarkable quick learner, but how about considering the possibility that you might not have mastered the game overnight? Perhaps you're right in your strongly held positions, but you could benefit from understanding that there's just the remote possibility that other viewpoints have value, as well.

sure there are other options, but i also have a right to disagree with them as well, i just dont think ill understand the point of not taking offense with at least 3 of the 4 picks when you're not scoring on the NHL level, and teams dont look like they will have guys who can score in the system level teams

Old
01-28-2013, 08:57 AM
CBJFan19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
I disagree. Seth Jones has the potential to be a very special defenseman. We can draft forwards with the other two first round picks we have; this draft has a multitude of excellent forward prospects. A guy like Seth Jones doesn't come along very often, and it would be a mistake for any team to pass up a guy like that.
Multiple excellent forwards at the top of the draft, bottom 15 not so much those guys look like the normal draft prospects, Guys like Nate MacKinnon and Alexander Barkov dont come around very often, you just had a guy like Seth Jones in Ryan Murray last year

Old
01-28-2013, 09:05 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

I take Seth Jones every day of the week if we have the 2nd pick and MacKinnon goes first.

Or if 3 or 4 overall pick wants him bad, move back for one of Barkov or Drouin. Either way, whoever picks top 4 this year is getting a franchise player.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:22 AM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
The fact that Jones is ranked higher than Mackinnon in the rankings is all I need when Mackinnon is a notch above the rest.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Edmonton needed D so badly last year, yet they still took Yakupov (not that I'm saying Tambellini is a genius or anything, but it was the right move). Always take who you assume will be the best player. For me, this means take Jones at 2 if Mac goes 1 and don't look back. Make moves to get scoring some other way, but take the potential franchise guy when you have the chance. A Murray-Jones pairing would be lights out, and I guarantee with the depth of this draft we could get some great forward prospects in the 20's if we needed.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:35 PM
EspenK

The only reason I'd consider taking Jones is Sore Loser's (and I think some others) point that he would also provide offense a la Shea Weber.
However, when I watch other teams play, we have absolutely no one who can consistently skate the puck into the zone and create his own scoring chance or draw so much attention that it creates a great chance for someone else. I know most of us have bought in to the blue collar, hard working, Nashville model but even though they make the playoffs they have not had much success there. I want a Tavares, Stamkos,Kane,Toews kind of guy. From what I've read MacKinnon fits that bill and maybe Drouin does too. If we draft 1, I take MacKinnon.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:

You don't pass on a top two overall player regardless of what you have in your system or on your team. That's ludicrous. You pick Jones 1, 2 or 3 and don't look back. You can always trade prospects for players. We have yet to see anyone but Moore from our system. No Murray, No Savard, No Erixon, No Reilly, No Goulobef....they all COULD be great. COULD be top 4 d-men. Not yet and may never be. Great to have solid prospects and depth but you don't pass on Jones because we don't have the same depth up front.

If someone else thinks the prospects are worth something you trade them for need. Period.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
sure there are other options, but i also have a right to disagree with them as well, i just dont think ill understand the point of not taking offense with at least 3 of the 4 picks when you're not scoring on the NHL level, and teams dont look like they will have guys who can score in the system level teams
So what's to guarantee that the first three offensive players you pick rather than a guy like Jones improve the CBJ and their scoring woes? There isn't one. You take the BPA and move on. Offense isn't generated from the guys playing LW, C, RW...it takes 5 skaters to be successful on the ice. This team has sucked at transition for a decade. we're filling that spot now. You can fill in with forwards that achieve your designed team goals but there is no guarantee that whomever is picked at 1, 2 or 3 will be a great player. Odds remain the same, they've never played in the NHL and you don't know how an 18 year old will turn out. If you believe Jones is the best player, you take him.

Personally I am hoping for McKinnon and the big Russian kid (Nichyushin ???) after that, I really don't care.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:13 PM
3 goals = chili

Send a message via Skype™ to 3 goals = chili
Devils Advocate....we finish with the 3rd overall pick and Jones,MacK go 1-2.

It's a lock that we take Drouin, right?

Old
01-28-2013, 03:26 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 goals = chili View Post

Fucale.

F-D-G. Set for 15 years at goal, #D and C.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:

Barkov would be my choice at 3, but Drouin would be a close second.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:46 PM
alphafox

Quote:

Not really. Drouin is getting alot of press right now, but for my money he is still behind barkov at least. Personally i don't like Drouin i worry his game won't translate to the nhl. I'd rather have barkov, lindholm, or monahan first

Closed Thread