HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Top 25 Slovakian Players Of All-Time – #2

View Poll Results: Top 25 Slovakian Players Of All-Time – #2
Zdeno Chara 43 78.18%
Marian Hossa 6 10.91%
Peter Bondra 5 9.09%
Marian Gaborik 0 0%
Miroslav Satan 0 0%
Zigmund Palffy 1 1.82%
Lubomir Visnovsky 0 0%
Pavol Demitra 0 0%
Vladimir Dzurilla 0 0%
Jozef Golonka 0 0%
Marian Stastny 0 0%
Anton Stastny 0 0%
Robert Svehla 0 0%
Ladislav Nagy 0 0%
Jozef Stümpel 0 0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-28-2013, 02:58 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

vCash: 500
Joe Pelletier seems to think Nedomansky was Slovak:

"One of the most under-appreciated and even unknown early greats of international hockey would have to the big Slovak star Vaclav Nedomansky."

http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com...al-man-of.html

Patrick Houda says "Vaclav was born in Hodonin, Czech Republic but his parents were Slovaks," but then says "Scouts and managers in the NHL were drooling over the 6'2" and 210 Ibs Slovak," referring to Nedomansky.

http://www.1972summitseries.com/othernedomansky.html

From wikipedia:

"He was born in Hodonin, in eastern Moravia in the present-day Czech Republic, but very close to the Slovak border. Today, he claims to feel more Slovak than Czech, having played in Bratislava." Unfortunately, the article doesn't have a cite.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 01-28-2013 at 03:27 AM.
TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:00 AM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
Yes, unless someone presents irrefutable evidence he's not
Irrefutable isn't going to happen on issues of nationality when countries were combined for decades. There's going to be evidence on each side, but Begbee's point that it would be harder to prove he's Czech than Slovak seems very interesting.

Seems like the arguments being made are as close to irrefutable as you're going to get. I was just cowering behind North American ignorance, but TDMM is right, it's not like there's a "he's Czech" consensus from European posters.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:44 AM
tony d
Ocean Spray

Chara

01-28-2013, 08:49 AM
jcbio11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
Irrefutable isn't going to happen on issues of nationality when countries were combined for decades. There's going to be evidence on each side, but Begbee's point that it would be harder to prove he's Czech than Slovak seems very interesting.

Seems like the arguments being made are as close to irrefutable as you're going to get. I was just cowering behind North American ignorance, but TDMM is right, it's not like there's a "he's Czech" consensus from European posters.
There would be a consensus if you just asked Czech posters.

I still maintain he is a Czech. If someone can find me one source where a person from the Czech hockey world calls him a Slovak, I might just be convinced.

Here's a video of him talking to a Slovak reporter (who's asking questions in Slovak) and responding in Czech.

http://www.cas.sk/clanok/152776/vide...e-vyborny.html

Anywho, I think we can agree that he won't be considered for these polls for now.

Voted Chara, hard to give it someone else at this point of his career. Norris Trophy, captaining the Boston to their Cup and a sure thing Hall of Famer. Neither Palffy, Bondra or Hossa are anywhere close to a sure thing, so Chara takes this one.

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:31 AM
the edler
Cory Schneider fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
What kind of proof do you want?
When Bondra was born in Ukraine, does it mean he is considered Ukrainian, until someone brings irrefutable proof?

Let's sum up the facts:
1. born in nowadays Czech town Hodonin which is like 100m from nowadays Czecho-Slovakian borderline - don't forget at the time there was no border
2. born to Slovak parents (both are Slovak parents) - i.e. Chara's father is Czech, do we need another irrefutable proof for him? http://czechhockeyreport.blogspot.sk...al-man-of.html
3. he speaks czech language
4. he has chosen to play in Slovakia in Bratislava, at the time most Slovaks play in Slovak teams, most Czechs play in Czech (..and I mean very most of them) unless it was an army club, which Slovan Bratislav was not.
5. he has worked as a consultant and Norh-America manager for Slovak national team not Czech NT
6. finally considers himself Slovak

Article which says there was three Slovaks inducted into Czech Hockey Hall of Fame:
http://hokej.pravda.sk/ostatne/clano...i-aj-slovakov/

Why is he so easily considered czech, I've posted a lot of facts why he may be and is considered slovak? I think it's harder to prove he is czech, than he's slovak.
yeah, but what's his citizenship? is he a citizen of Slovakia?

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:57 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
yeah, but what's his citizenship? is he a citizen of Slovakia?
Actually, I bet my 2 cents he is a citizen of USA.

Czech websites are suspiciously niggard about his nationality, what could be a silent, undeclared approval.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote