HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Spanish tv deal for the NHL

Old
01-28-2013, 07:13 AM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
Did Brazil not have a team in one of the lower WJC tournaments this past year?
My bad, I was thinking of Spain, not Brazil. And Spain did indeed compete in the U20 Division II this past year.

Last edited by DatsyukToZetterberg: 01-28-2013 at 10:20 AM.
DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:24 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
My bad, I was thinking of Spain, not Brazil. And Brazil did indeed compete in the U20 Division II this past year.
No they did not. You must be confusing Brazil with Australia or something.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:21 AM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
No they did not. You must be confusing Brazil with Australia or something.
Crap, I did it again haha. Mind was telling me Spain but the hands typed out Brazil. You'll have to give me a break though it was early in the morning.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:38 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
And this "harmless" comment is exactly why hockey will never grow beyond white countries and has barely grown to minorities in white countries unlike football or basketball or even baseball to a lesser extent. NHL has done a terrible job of marketing themselves outside the safe zones. In fact they've done a terrible job of marketing themselves to places they expanded to. The Dallas Stars have a fan base because the Dallas Stars put the work in to market hockey in Texas, the NHL sure didn't contribute to that.

Btw do you mean Spanish as in NAmerican Spanish channels or Spanish as in Spain?
pffft ya think that was bad?

the habs always make me wonder why there isnt plans for a mexico city team. i mean if we are going to just blatantly market that way you could scrape up a whole lot of the southwestern united states with a spanish language team.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:21 AM
Frankenrogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
The sport is simply not big among Hispanics in America right now. It'll be a while before teams start shelling out money to pay Spanish-speaking announcers.
Plus if it is anything like Pro Wrestling, there are additional costs of new tables with players crashing through them all the time.

Frankenrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:06 AM
CGG

Didn't the NHL just recently get around to translating their NHL.com website into a few foreing languages? That's something that should have been done years ago. Good on the CBC to take the initiative to try Punjabi broadcasts. I don't see the NHL chasing foreign languages that are popular in North America (i.e. Spanish, Chinese / Mandarin, etc) on their own.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:25 AM
HugoSimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
And this "harmless" comment is exactly why hockey will never grow beyond white countries and has barely grown to minorities in white countries unlike football or basketball or even baseball to a lesser extent. NHL has done a terrible job of marketing themselves outside the safe zones. In fact they've done a terrible job of marketing themselves to places they expanded to. The Dallas Stars have a fan base because the Dallas Stars put the work in to market hockey in Texas, the NHL sure didn't contribute to that.

Btw do you mean Spanish as in NAmerican Spanish channels or Spanish as in Spain?
Its just as much a strength of the sport that it favors northern markets as it is a weakness. It has little to do with race, and everything to do with curing the winter blues.

HugoSimon is offline   Reply With Quote