Hamilton 'Happy' to not be in Toronto

Old
01-28-2013, 07:20 AM
JMiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
It was part of the joke.

He is the most consistent 40-goal scorer in NHL history that has never actually scored 40 goals.
My favorite quote about him was from Aaron Ward "If the rink were round he'd be a perfect player".

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:28 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Leafland is ****ed right now. I almost feel bad for the fans. Cox is making Dupont look like Kessel's biggest fan and the team seems to be perpetually stuck in the worst stages of a rebuild.

Fans aren't going to like it, but they need a reset that will no doubt take a few years. Start with MacKinnon or Jones at the draft and go from there. Had they not gone after Kessel and instead kept the picks that landed us Seguin and Hamilton they'd likely be far better off, or at the very least have something to be exited about.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:57 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Leafland is ****ed right now. I almost feel bad for the fans. Cox is making Dupont look like Kessel's biggest fan and the team seems to be perpetually stuck in the worst stages of a rebuild.

Fans aren't going to like it, but they need a reset that will no doubt take a few years. Start with MacKinnon or Jones at the draft and go from there. Had they not gone after Kessel and instead kept the picks that landed us Seguin and Hamilton they'd likely be far better off, or at the very least have something to be exited about.
Years of bottom finishes should get you a bunch of top end prospects.

They had a middle of the pack group of prospects.

They should trade Kessel right now. They could get a great package.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:05 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk41 View Post
That's a way to get Kessel to practice early.

Phaneuf isn't fit to mentor a dog, though, based on his on-ice performance, he can help it learn to chase its tail aimlessly.

Reminds me of what someone on the Pats said of Bethel Johnson: "If he was a dog, he'd fall for the hidden ball trick every time."

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:09 AM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post

I still don't get why they didn't do a full rebuild a few years ago. The Leafs have a loyal fanbase. They know hockey, they love it, and I am sure they would have been fine with a 3-4 year rebuild.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:09 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
I'm not sure the $$$ played into it as much as the way Kessel interpreted how Boston valued him. Or from his perspective, undervalued him.

I think it was obvious to Kessel that Julien and B's management weren't going to let him off the hook in regard to improving on some of his weak points as a hockey player. I think the B's offer reflected that assessment on their part. I'm guessing that's where the friction started long before he was a RFA. And, Kessel just took the easy way out, the coin making it that much easier. In the end, he ended up w/ the same criticisms in TO that he had here. It's his agent's job to get him the best deal he can, that's what they get paid to do. Kessel is a big boy, his decision.

Toronto was a terrible fit for the kid. It's fun to pick on him, but Kessel really is an immensely talented guy. No doubt a/b it. Put him in a situation like philly or LA, where you're already 90-95% of the way there in regard to your core, and he'll shine. Toronto? The pressure, spotlight, team situation, was the antithesis of what he needed. Not our problem, and the planets lined up for us w/ Segs, Dougie. We had to catch a break at some point. We suffered plenty, too. Better them and PK, than us.

I have to go back and read why Dougie even fell, can't remember. Was there ever a consensus? Bad breath? Hogs the Xbox? Because so far so good.
That's very true about Kessel. He's be a very good complementary player on a good team. He's not physically or mentally the sort of player to carry a team; not too many players are. But, as they say, it was his choice. I'm just curious to see now if Toronto re-signs him.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:27 AM
patty59

Quote:
It was part of the joke.

He is the most consistent 40-goal scorer in NHL history that has never actually scored 40 goals.
Ya, but, like that one time where if you add up his pre-season goals and playoff goals he gets 40, cuz he like missed some reg-season games.

member?

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:29 AM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

vCash: 50
Quote:
Years of bottom finishes should get you a bunch of top end prospects.

They had a middle of the pack group of prospects.

They should trade Kessel right now. They could get a great package.
Well, in reality they should wait until Burke signs on somewhere...and then trade HIM Kessel to get that good package.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
I still don't get why they didn't do a full rebuild a few years ago. The Leafs have a loyal fanbase. They know hockey, they love it, and I am sure they would have been fine with a 3-4 year rebuild.
Because Burke completely misjudged the teams ability to perform. His prospect valuation skills also sucked pretty badly. He was of the opinion that guys like Tyler Bozak, Christian Hanson, and Jonas Gustavsson were top end prospects that were completely overlooked in the draft.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=499052
Quote:
While giving up three high picks was a big price to pay for Kessel's negotiating rights, the Leafs also have several promising rookies in Tyler Bozak, Viktor Stalberg, Nazem Kadri and Christian Hanson, all of whom have scored during in the team's first two pre-season games.

"It's a very high price but it's one we feel makes sense for us and I think what's made it possible to expend those picks is two focuses: one is that he's a young player, he's not even 22 yet," Burke said.

"And second, we think with some of the players we acquired without giving up picks like Tyler Bozak, (left-wing Robert) Slaney, Hanson, (goaltender Jonas) Gustavsson, these are players that were they available on the draft would command a high price like that.
As with most undrafted free agents, there's usually a reason they were missed in the draft. Occasionally those players turn out but more often then not don't. Building a strategy around those players is folly.

In my opinion Burke is the guy you want coming into a franchise who has already drafted well, and already has a solid foundation but just needs that final push to take them all the way. He is NOT the guy you want rebuilding your franchise. The moves he made in Toronto were for very solid complimentary pieces to an already cup competing team. Toronto wasn't that at all when he took over which equated to a franchise spinning it's wheels for 4 straight years.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:42 AM
Paddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
My favorite quote about him was from Aaron Ward "If the rink were round he'd be a perfect player".
You beat me to it. Living in Toronto, I have been hearing Leafs fans talking about Kessel being a perennial 40 goal scorer since he got here. They are quick to pipe down when they realize he has never scored 40.

Ok, that's enough Kessel-bashing for me. This is a Dougie thread. Therefore:

Paddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
You beat me to it. Living in Toronto, I have been hearing Leafs fans talking about Kessel being a perennial 40 goal scorer since he got here. They are quick to pipe down when they realize he has never scored 40.

Ok, that's enough Kessel-bashing for me. This is a Dougie thread. Therefore:

Thanks for posting that. I knew of the song of course and heard bits and pieces but never the whole thing. It's strangely hypnotic.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:14 PM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

I always liked Kessel and was sad to see him go. I would be happy to see him come back to the Bruins. I donīt begrudge him or villianise him the way some of the media felt obliged to do. Even if he didnīt quite get a long with the coach, he was a young guy, a bit of a hot-head, and only human after all.

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Imagine a night on the town with these 3

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:13 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsABruin View Post
Imagine a night on the town with these 3

According to Seguin on twitter, Dougie is his road room mate.

I thought that part of the CBA was that each player got their own room? Or does that start next season?

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:16 PM
Shaun
beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
According to Seguin on twitter, Dougie is his road room mate.

I thought that part of the CBA was that each player got their own room? Or does that start next season?
if you're on an ELC you room with someone and they are the only 2 on the team still on entry level deals.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:32 PM
ProdigalFan
StillDontGrowOnTrees

And how could anyone forget this?

ProdigalFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:43 PM
RustyBruins72

Quote:
We should offer him 3.75 mil. With the caveat 30 goals is perfectly acceptable on the 3rd line; Pevs and Kelly can do all the "scarwy work", free food vouchers, no pressure to go to the gym, and he gets his soul back.

Or else it's...

THANK YOU KESSEL boom boom...boom boom boom...THANK YOU KESSEL

For the rest of his career.
See I don't understand that.

I always thought that the chant was done in Boston to mock him. But I was at a game in Toronto against the bruins in November 2011 and THEY were saying that chant. I know for sure because they guy behind who "accidently" spilled his beer on me was an obvious leafs fan and chanting VERY loud.

so does it work both ways?

I like the mocking way better myself.

RustyBruins72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:56 PM
Deal Law
S corps suck

Quote:
I'm not sure the $$$ played into it as much as the way Kessel interpreted how Boston valued him. Or from his perspective, undervalued him.

I think it was obvious to Kessel that Julien and B's management weren't going to let him off the hook in regard to improving on some of his weak points as a hockey player. I think the B's offer reflected that assessment on their part. I'm guessing that's where the friction started long before he was a RFA. And, Kessel just took the easy way out, the coin making it that much easier. In the end, he ended up w/ the same criticisms in TO that he had here. It's his agent's job to get him the best deal he can, that's what they get paid to do. Kessel is a big boy, his decision.

Toronto was a terrible fit for the kid. It's fun to pick on him, but Kessel really is an immensely talented guy. No doubt a/b it. Put him in a situation like philly or LA, where you're already 90-95% of the way there in regard to your core, and he'll shine. Toronto? The pressure, spotlight, team situation, was the antithesis of what he needed. Not our problem, and the planets lined up for us w/ Segs, Dougie. We had to catch a break at some point. We suffered plenty, too. Better them and PK, than us.

I have to go back and read why Dougie even fell, can't remember. Was there ever a consensus? Bad breath? Hogs the Xbox? Because so far so good.
I seem to remember the linchpin in the whole thing being the Jets taking Scheifele, as Philly with the next pick was dead set on Couturier. I thought for sure Dougie was going to the Jets and when they took Scheifele and could just imagine Chia nearly jumping out of his seat.

Deal Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:27 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
if you're on an ELC you room with someone and they are the only 2 on the team still on entry level deals.
Ahh gotcha. Makes sense.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:09 PM
TCL40

Quote:
I have to go back and read why Dougie even fell, can't remember.
I think the teams ahead of the Bruins were focusing on forwards and I remember the Jets and Sens both went for very different picks.

Couturier also fell and the Bruins got Dougie because the Flyers took Couturier.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote