HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Red Wings Prospect Depository IV - A New Thread About Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 01:05 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

vCash: 500
Also I really love D's like Duncan Keith and Kris Letang, skating backwards as fast as straight forward etc. They don't grow on trees, but wings would be a much better team if they had 2-3D's like that that, can skate with the fastest forwards in the game etc. Kronwall is good but not on their level in terms of skating.

Hopefully they draft players with best skating ability, I think it will be even more important in the new and future NHL.. Skating and hockey-IQ, the rest will take care of itself.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:24 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Also I really love D's like Duncan Keith and Kris Letang, skating backwards as fast as straight forward etc. They don't grow on trees, but wings would be a much better team if they had 2-3D's like that that, can skate with the fastest forwards in the game etc. Kronwall is good but not on their level in terms of skating.

Hopefully they draft players with best skating ability, I think it will be even more important in the new and future NHL.. Skating and hockey-IQ, the rest will take care of itself.
Agree with this. Skating is a premium in the NHL now, speed kills. The wings have some fast young guys now at least they were so slow for a while. Helm, Ferraro, Mursak are all really fast. Plus signing Brunner was to add speed to the top 6 I think.

As for Ouellet, yeah he will never be close to Keith or Letang but those 2 are probably top 3 in the league in skating for dmen. Ouellet skates fast enough to play though, he was just mroe exposed on big ice that he wasnt used to. If you watch the games for Canada though every dman struggled out there adjusting to the ice. I'd rather have Ouellet then Murphy even though Murphy is an amazing skater

Old
01-25-2013, 02:27 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:

I know he probably won't get near that level although Keith really came out of nowhere, but by talent discription you pretty much just nailed Nick Jensen.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
I know he probably won't get near that level although Keith really came out of nowhere, but by talent discription you pretty much just nailed Nick Jensen.
Yeah Jensen can fly and Backman is a very good skater.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:48 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Yeah Jensen can fly and Backman is a very good skater.
I still think Jensen might be the best skater in the entire system.

Right there with Ferraro, Anathasiou, and Quine. To the point we were talking about to he is still extremely fast when he throws it in reverse. The kid skates like a Boyle, Keith and Letang. He doesn't have their high end skill, but he is a lot like a very famous alumni from his school in Hedican.

I know he is older than a lot of people want but I see no way when I have watched him that he doesn't crack the NHL. His skating is just that good he will get a chance and he will do immediate damage in the AHL because of it in my opinion.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:47 AM
FissionFire

Skating is important, but not as important as anticipation, positioning, and the like. Lidstrom was never an elite skater. Really he was average to slightly above average at best. He proved that you can excel using other skills, much like Ouellet is showing.

Bret Hedican was fast as the wind forwards and backwards but he was never more than a #3/4 type. Heck, just look at Brett Lebda to see why skating might be one of the more overrated benchmarks for a defenseman.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:19 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Skating is important, but not as important as anticipation, positioning, and the like. Lidstrom was never an elite skater. Really he was average to slightly above average at best. He proved that you can excel using other skills, much like Ouellet is showing.

Bret Hedican was fast as the wind forwards and backwards but he was never more than a #3/4 type. Heck, just look at Brett Lebda to see why skating might be one of the more overrated benchmarks for a defenseman.
But you're naming NHL d-man, even Lebda had more than just a short stint in the NHL. Guys with the skating that Jensen has, generally make the show in some capacity. I am not saying he will be a star, just saying I see no way it doesn't get him to the big show at some point.

Hedican also played over a 1,000 games and was one of the better #3/4 types out there. He tailored that speed into a solid stay at home game, remains to be seen if Jensen can do that.

Ouellet is no doubt a much better player. I am a huge fan, his hockey IQ is impressive. He reminds me of Vlasic out in San Jose. Guy just rarely makes mistakes. I just don't think a lot of people know much about Jensen, I am fortunate enough to have seen him on a couple times and his skating is NHL level electric, especially for a backend guy. He also isn't a small guy either and a right handed shot, if we can turn him into a speedy stay at home guy I will jump with joy.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:09 AM
ChadS

Here's a link for Järnkrok vs Bäckman game that just started:

http://veetle.com/index.php/channel/view#510063ccc8950

Järnkrok #19 in white, Bäckman #5 in blue.

Bäckman with the PP assist as Linköping takes a 1-0 lead.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:35 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
But you're naming NHL d-man, even Lebda had more than just a short stint in the NHL. Guys with the skating that Jensen has, generally make the show in some capacity. I am not saying he will be a star, just saying I see no way it doesn't get him to the big show at some point.

Hedican also played over a 1,000 games and was one of the better #3/4 types out there. He tailored that speed into a solid stay at home game, remains to be seen if Jensen can do that.

Ouellet is no doubt a much better player. I am a huge fan, his hockey IQ is impressive. He reminds me of Vlasic out in San Jose. Guy just rarely makes mistakes. I just don't think a lot of people know much about Jensen, I am fortunate enough to have seen him on a couple times and his skating is NHL level electric, especially for a backend guy. He also isn't a small guy either and a right handed shot, if we can turn him into a speedy stay at home guy I will jump with joy.
I wasn't intending my comments to reflect on Jensen at all, just on the knock some have had for Ouellet's lack of elite skating.

I fully expect Jensen will make it to the NHL in at least a Lebda-type role.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:39 PM
ChadS

Bäckman ended up with the assist, a -1 and team high 22:18 icetime. Others:

Järnkrok 0+0, +/- 0, 17:12 icetime - Brynäs seem to be doing quite bad at the moment
Pulkkinen 0+0, +/- 0, 13:28 icetime
Marchenko 0+0, +1, 14:29 icetime
Bodin did not play

Old
01-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Bäckman ended up with the assist, a -1 and team high 22:18 icetime. Others:

Järnkrok 0+0, +/- 0, 17:12 icetime - Brynäs seem to be doing quite bad at the moment
Pulkkinen 0+0, +/- 0, 13:28 icetime
Marchenko 0+0, +1, 14:29 icetime
Bodin did not play
I'm digging the offensive production and big mins Backman is eating up. Looking forward to seeing him in an Intl tournament like the WC to see how he does against the best in the world.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:26 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Bäckman seem to be like A2.. getting plenty of apples, mostly on the pp. But it's also a bit of a concern when you don't score goals, most of the times it means you have a bad/weak shot. Sproul scores plenty of goals to go with his assists because he has a lethal shot.

Haven't watched Linköping but judging from his stats I take it he doesn't have a good/powerful shot.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:47 PM
ChadS

Quote:
Bäckman seem to be like A2.. getting plenty of apples, mostly on the pp. But it's also a bit of a concern when you don't score goals, most of the times it means you have a bad/weak shot. Sproul scores plenty of goals to go with his assists because he has a lethal shot.

Haven't watched Linköping but judging from his stats I take it he doesn't have a good/powerful shot.
It's nothing special but he doesn't use it much either, averaging just over 1,5 shots per game. Thankfully shooting is one of the easier skills to learn.

Him and Sproul don't play a similar style at all. And the levels they are playing at are quite far apart as well.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:06 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Haven't watched Linköping but judging from his stats
that's how people form an opinion these days.

it's not even hard to find streams for elitserien this year. let alone that you can drive down a bit to watch him live.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:31 PM
joe89

Backman's shot is both underused and quite weak, his biggest area of improvement along with weight. Is A2 Almqvist? His shot on the other hand is not weak, just underused. But he's shown improvement using it. 5 goals and as many rebound goals have come from his shot this year, that's pretty good in a pro league.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:41 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
that's how people form an opinion these days.

it's not even hard to find streams for elitserien this year. let alone that you can drive down a bit to watch him live.
SEL sucks... big ice, trap-tactics, no physical play... yuck

Old
01-26-2013, 04:57 PM
Schnurvel

Quote:

None of Linköping's D-men have scored that many goals this season - out of 117 goals, they've scored 12. We have three that haven't scored at all, so just because Bäckman hasn't scored more goals, I wouldn't say it's a big issue for him as a player in general.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnurvel View Post
None of Linköping's D-men have scored that many goals this season - out of 117 goals, they've scored 12. We have three that haven't scored at all, so just because Bäckman hasn't scored more goals, I wouldn't say it's a big issue for him as a player in general.
The most important thing IMO is he's playing the most mins on his team in one of the top 2-3 leagues in the world. I'm pretty sure he's signed on for another season in the SEL. So he'll be able to continue to refine his game against very good competition. He's nothing like Almqvist as his game continues to show improvement. AA levelled off in the SEL and is only now showing improvement playing in a weaker league in the AHL.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:56 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Sproul put up 2 more assists, has the exact same amount of points as Dougie Hamilton in 32 games played with 14 goals to Hamilton's 8 goals.

Frk - 1 goal +1
Ouellet - DNP (Don't know why)
Hudon - 2 goals (both on the power play)

Nedomlel - 1 assist +2

Sproul - 2 assists -1
Quine - +1 (Now plus 7 in 7 games with 10 points since the trade)
AA forward - -1

Imagine that those of us that kept saying Quine's +/- was the result of his team, well it sure looks like it these days...

Old
01-27-2013, 07:55 AM
ChadS

Quote:
Sproul put up 2 more assists, has the exact same amount of points as Dougie Hamilton in 32 games played with 14 goals to Hamilton's 8 goals.

Frk - 1 goal +1

Nedomlel - 1 assist +2

Sproul - 2 assists -1
AA forward - -1

Imagine that those of us that kept saying Quine's +/- was the result of his team, well it sure looks like it these days...
What I read on Twitter was that they simply rested him. But you never know what's really happening, might be a minor injury etc.

Jensen 0+0, +/- 0
Marshall 0+0, -1, 4 PIM
McKee 0+0, +1 (wasn't suspended despite yesterday's fight)
De Haas 0+1

Marchenko playing right now, here are some links: http://livetv.ru/en/eventinfo/150907...moscow_atlant/

Old
01-27-2013, 03:54 PM
JimLaheyprobert

Does anyone know why mike mckee was out for like 5 games? was he hurt or suspended?

Old
01-27-2013, 04:05 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLaheyprobert View Post
Does anyone know why mike mckee was out for like 5 games? was he hurt or suspended?
Suspended.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:

Frk - 1 goal +1

Nedomlel - 1 assist +2

Sproul - 2 assists -1
AA forward - -1

I hope Sproul can win the scoring title for d-men. That would be pretty amazing considering all the games he's missed.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:24 AM
ChadS

Both Bäckman and Järnkrok chosen to the Swedish national team roster for next week's tournament.

Didn't catch the coach introducing Bäckman but when talking about Järnkrok he praised his backchecking in the tournament played in Finland.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:41 AM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Both Bäckman and Järnkrok chosen to the Swedish national team roster for next week's tournament.

Didn't catch the coach introducing Bäckman but when talking about Järnkrok he praised his backchecking in the tournament played in Finland.
Nice to know he's developing his two-way game, that should he'll have an easier time adjusting to the NA game and be fast tracked to the NHL. Imagine if we had Nyquist up last year, Tatar this year, we could have had potentially had Jarnkrok make the jump next year as well.

On that note what prospects will be in the show next year? Nyquist & Tatar for sure, Sheahan, Andersson or Ferraro possibly?

Making the jump to the AHL/ECHL is Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, Ouellet, Sproul, Jensen/Marchenko, Nedomlel & Quine?

Most of our top prospects are headed to the pro game next year, it's going to suck losing some of these guys to waivers (assuming they all develop).

Closed Thread