HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 10.0 - NHL'er! Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2013, 08:32 AM
  #501
DenverHabsFan
Registered User
 
DenverHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
No one cares about that I just think people are scared because of all the other rookies that we screwed up over the years, but the Habs figured that out and new management will not let this happen anymore and that's why i'm confident. They will help this kid out big time unlike past year where the leaders and management didn't.
I read that argument a lot so I wouldn't say nobody cares about it.

I was worried about him having too much pressure but he doesn't. This is totally different if you compare to the Lats situation. Lats had the spotlight on him being a local guy and he was almost expected to carry the team. Gally plays on a kid line with limited minutes and never on the PP. MT is using him perfectly so far.

Have to admit I had my doubts about MT but I'm very impressed with his coaching. When Gally took that high stick penalty in the 3rd, my thoughts were that Jacques Martin would have benched him for the rest of the game. MT not only played him on his regular shift but also had him out there in OT. That's the best way to build the kid's confidence. Those are the signs that make me think it's ok for him to stay. Plus, he's been improving every game.

So far, MT >>>> JM in terms of not having players afraid to make mistakes and benching them. He seems to recognize a lazy mistake versus accidental like Gally's penalty.

DenverHabsFan is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:35 AM
  #502
HomaridII
Registered User
 
HomaridII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,832
vCash: 500
Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
Got to believe he stays w/ #Habs RT @Awsum_Man: @Dave_Stubbs Any word on Galchenyuk? We here in Sarnia are assuming he is gone

HomaridII is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:36 AM
  #503
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,453
vCash: 500
I've also been thinking about how all the vets respect him already, and his attitude has been is exemplary so far according to Therrien. I think he is our next captain for sure a few years down the line right after Gionta is gone, no point naming someone in the meantime with a kid already showing such poise.

poetryinmotion is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:37 AM
  #504
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,100
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
I read that argument a lot so I wouldn't say nobody cares about it.

I was worried about him having too much pressure but he doesn't. This is totally different if you compare to the Lats situation. Lats had the spotlight on him being a local guy and he was almost expected to carry the team. Gally plays on a kid line with limited minutes and never on the PP. MT is using him perfectly so far.

Have to admit I had my doubts about MT but I'm very impressed with his coaching. When Gally took that high stick penalty in the 3rd, my thoughts were that Jacques Martin would have benched him for the rest of the game. MT not only played him on his regular shift but also had him out there in OT. That's the best way to build the kid's confidence. Those are the signs that make me think it's ok for him to stay. Plus, he's been improving every game.

So far, MT >>>> JM in terms of not having players afraid to make mistakes and benching them. He seems to recognize a lazy mistake versus accidental like Gally's penalty.
I've also been very impressed with MT and i'll be honest I wasn't very happy with Bergevin's decision but I'm ok to admit it. Guy did a great job with a young Penguins team and it helped him mature a lot since his last coaching job here. If you work hard Therrien will reward you and he isn't afraid to make changes on the fly unlike Martin who simply wouldn't change things during a game

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:38 AM
  #505
Bask
Embellishing User
 
Bask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Montréal
Posts: 5,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
people expecting him to dominate like he did in Sarnia need to adjust their expectations

he's not a crosby or a malkin, BUT he will be a great player
He's nhl ready, but he's still a rookie, and as a 18 year old nhl rookie, he's been damn impressive

It will take him abit longer to hit his stride, but rarely does a 18 year old rookie come in and dominate from game one.

There is no point in sending him back to the O. He has nothing left to learn there.

hes lucky though cause under the old administration and coaching, he would not be getting any opportunities to succeed and stick to the team. Therien is using him wisely, and pairing the kids with prust was extremely smart.

it's just normal to get excited, most of us weren't even born when Svoboda join the team at 18! We've been lacking an offensive superstar for way too long

Bask is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:38 AM
  #506
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,100
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
I've also been thinking about how all the vets respect him already, and his attitude has been is exemplary so far according to Therrien. I think he is our next captain for sure a few years down the line right after Gionta is gone, no point naming someone in the meantime with a kid already showing such poise.
Next captain is Gorges assuming Gionta is gone, you see it in the videos the guy is such a leader and always talking in the room. Gally will get there one day but if i'm a betting man and Gionta leaves, Gorges gets it

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:40 AM
  #507
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bask View Post
it's just normal to get excited, most of us weren't even born when Svoboda join the team at 18! We've been lacking an offensive superstar for way too long
Yep!

And welcome, good first post.

poetryinmotion is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:41 AM
  #508
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Next captain is Gorges assuming Gionta is gone, you see it in the videos the guy is such a leader and always talking in the room. Gally will get there one day but if i'm a betting man and Gionta leaves, Gorges gets it
That is what I'm realistically expecting to happen but it wouldn't be totally out of this world to give it to Gally.

I've always had the impression that captains should not only have great leadership but also the skill to go with it, but I do love Gorges a lot for the role.

poetryinmotion is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:44 AM
  #509
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle
 
JLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Why do we care about burning a year of his ELC?? We just have to lock him up to an 8 year contract at some point if he shows he's the real deal. I don't get why fans care about the contract situation. I don't think MB cares either. I love watching both Gallys smile and create exciting plays with very limited minutes and no PP time. I'll be very disappointed now if he goes down. This is the most engaged I've been as a fan since the amazing 08 season.
I agree and hope him keep him up. It means at some point we'll have to pay him a bit earlier and/or a bit more for a year, no big deal if we manage our budget with a priority on our young players over vet free agents.

JLP is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:47 AM
  #510
Bask
Embellishing User
 
Bask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Montréal
Posts: 5,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Yep!

And welcome, good first post.
hey thanks I lost interest in forums for too long (eversince they changed the official habs forum and everything was lost, which was like 6 years ago lol)

Bask is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:47 AM
  #511
DenverHabsFan
Registered User
 
DenverHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
That is what I'm realistically expecting to happen but it wouldn't be totally out of this world to give it to Gally.

I've always had the impression that captains should not only have great leadership but also the skill to go with it, but I do love Gorges a lot for the role.
I tend to agree with you. The captain is the face of the franchise so he needs to be a point producer. I was watching 24CH and noticed how both AGally and BGally are best buddies but then AGally gets back to the locker room (after learning he's staying) and he's very quiet and Cole is looking over Bourque to figure out what that poker face means.

I can only assume that they mean it when they say they love his attitude.

DenverHabsFan is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:50 AM
  #512
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,865
vCash: 500
He's actually leading the habs in even strength scoring with his 3 points. Gionta, Diaz, Prust and Gallagher would be next with 2 points each.

FrankMTL is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:52 AM
  #513
Kingbobert
Registered User
 
Kingbobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Greece
Posts: 4,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bask View Post
it's just normal to get excited, most of us weren't even born when Svoboda join the team at 18! We've been lacking an offensive superstar for way too long
no getting excited is not the bad part lol
we're all excited and we all deserve to be excited after last years debacle

I'm talking about people who might not think he's ready or are disappointed in his production. And admit we sadly all have atleast one of those in a circle of friends.

Kingbobert is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:52 AM
  #514
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Next captain is Gorges assuming Gionta is gone, you see it in the videos the guy is such a leader and always talking in the room. Gally will get there one day but if i'm a betting man and Gionta leaves, Gorges gets it
I agree with that. Gorges seems like such a great guy and a leader. No doubt in my mind that he's the captain when Gionta is gone.

FrankMTL is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:52 AM
  #515
e46330ivs*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
I tend to agree with you. The captain is the face of the franchise so he needs to be a point producer. I was watching 24CH and noticed how both AGally and BGally are best buddies but then AGally gets back to the locker room (after learning he's staying) and he's very quiet and Cole is looking over Bourque to figure out what that poker face means.

I can only assume that they mean it when they say they love his attitude.
thats hilarious I thought the same thing, although I didnt know who Cole was looking at, Cole looked at him and he litteraly couldnt tell if Gally had pocket aces or a 2-7 off suit.

e46330ivs* is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:53 AM
  #516
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
I tend to agree with you. The captain is the face of the franchise so he needs to be a point producer. I was watching 24CH and noticed how both AGally and BGally are best buddies but then AGally gets back to the locker room (after learning he's staying) and he's very quiet and Cole is looking over Bourque to figure out what that poker face means.

I can only assume that they mean it when they say they love his attitude.
Totally, you could see when the players were lining up for the presentation (home opener) and they were all giving him taps, the look in his eyes was of some fierce intensity. And I will never forget him standing in a ring of fire holding the torch up high.

poetryinmotion is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:57 AM
  #517
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bask View Post
it's just normal to get excited, most of us weren't even born when Svoboda join the team at 18! We've been lacking an offensive superstar for way too long
If lats had developed his skating things might have worked out differently. Svoboda had unreal lateral movement and passing skills. He had no speed, shot or weight.

toshiro is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:58 AM
  #518
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
I agree with that. Gorges seems like such a great guy and a leader. No doubt in my mind that he's the captain when Gionta is gone.
I think we should also consider the fact that when Gionta finally vacates the captaincy, Gally might actually be ready to receive it, if not, Gorges it is. But we don't know for how long Gio is sticking.

poetryinmotion is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 09:19 AM
  #519
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
I think we should also consider the fact that when Gionta finally vacates the captaincy, Gally might actually be ready to receive it, if not, Gorges it is. But we don't know for how long Gio is sticking.
Thats true. I like Gionta and think if he's still producing at the end of next year, he might get a 2 year extension. If for whatever reason he's no longer here though, I think Gorges will get it as Galchenyuk will only be 20 years old..That's a lot of pressure for a 20 year old. This isn't just any market...The youngest player to ever wear the "C" for the Montreal Canadiens was Saku Koivu at 24 years old.

FrankMTL is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 09:25 AM
  #520
DenverHabsFan
Registered User
 
DenverHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,589
vCash: 500
Because of his background, Gally has the best chance of learning French. Don't flame me for mentioning language but that matters a lot to the ******** media. They will go bonkers if we spend another decade with a unilingual captain.

DenverHabsFan is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 09:26 AM
  #521
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,016
vCash: 500
For an 18 year old, his hockey sense is incredible. He'll make a small mistake like put the put a bit blindly or fancily in the middle of the ice (which is normal for a rookie) but then makes up for it right away by being in the right place. Look at the Prust goal he assisted on. He wasn't able to get the puck in deep on the boards, but he was right there to grab the puck in the air at the blue line. Just smarts you can't teach. He's obviously an offensive superstar in the making, but he is aware on both ends of the ice. I can't believe he's 18 watching him. And then the way he conducts himself off the ice...Just a bit of a freak of nature. I mean he's 18 soon to be 19, it's scary how good this kid could be in 5-10 years.

Jigger77 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 09:30 AM
  #522
Bask
Embellishing User
 
Bask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Montréal
Posts: 5,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Because of his background, Gally has the best chance of learning French. Don't flame me for mentioning language but that matters a lot to the ******** media. They will go bonkers if we spend another decade with a unilingual captain.
well the problem wasnt that Koivu couldn't speak french, its that he waited 10 years to say "vous êtes nos partisans"

just a little Bonjour and Merci wouldve been enough to calm everyone down

Bask is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 09:36 AM
  #523
DenverHabsFan
Registered User
 
DenverHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bask View Post
well the problem wasnt that Koivu couldn't speak french, its that he waited 10 years to say "vous êtes nos partisans"

just a little Bonjour and Merci wouldve been enough to calm everyone down
I'm thinking more along the lines of Peter Stastny. A guy with a multicultural background who can actually have a full conversation in French. People in Quebec loved him as if he was a local boy. Again, I'm not saying it's right or wrong but fans are dying to have a team they identify with.

Gally has a style and personality that remind me of Stastny. We'll be lucky if he comes close to that level.

DenverHabsFan is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 09:52 AM
  #524
HomaridII
Registered User
 
HomaridII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,832
vCash: 500
GET A PLACE KIDS!!

Canadiens Montréal ‏@CanadiensMTL
Marc Bergevin and Michel Therrien notified Brendan Gallagher and Alex Galchenyuk this morning that they will remain with the team.

HomaridII is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 09:54 AM
  #525
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 10,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
GET A PLACE KIDS!!

Canadiens Montréal ‏@CanadiensMTL
Marc Bergevin and Michel Therrien notified Brendan Gallagher and Alex Galchenyuk this morning that they will remain with the team.
Glad to hear! Although with Brendan he can be sent down at any time.

sharks9 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.