HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 10.0 - NHL'er! Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 08:32 AM
DenverHabsFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
No one cares about that I just think people are scared because of all the other rookies that we screwed up over the years, but the Habs figured that out and new management will not let this happen anymore and that's why i'm confident. They will help this kid out big time unlike past year where the leaders and management didn't.
I read that argument a lot so I wouldn't say nobody cares about it.

I was worried about him having too much pressure but he doesn't. This is totally different if you compare to the Lats situation. Lats had the spotlight on him being a local guy and he was almost expected to carry the team. Gally plays on a kid line with limited minutes and never on the PP. MT is using him perfectly so far.

Have to admit I had my doubts about MT but I'm very impressed with his coaching. When Gally took that high stick penalty in the 3rd, my thoughts were that Jacques Martin would have benched him for the rest of the game. MT not only played him on his regular shift but also had him out there in OT. That's the best way to build the kid's confidence. Those are the signs that make me think it's ok for him to stay. Plus, he's been improving every game.

So far, MT >>>> JM in terms of not having players afraid to make mistakes and benching them. He seems to recognize a lazy mistake versus accidental like Gally's penalty.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:35 AM
HomaridII

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
Got to believe he stays w/ #Habs RT @Awsum_Man: @Dave_Stubbs Any word on Galchenyuk? We here in Sarnia are assuming he is gone

Old
01-28-2013, 08:36 AM
poetryinmotion

I've also been thinking about how all the vets respect him already, and his attitude has been is exemplary so far according to Therrien. I think he is our next captain for sure a few years down the line right after Gionta is gone, no point naming someone in the meantime with a kid already showing such poise.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
I read that argument a lot so I wouldn't say nobody cares about it.

I was worried about him having too much pressure but he doesn't. This is totally different if you compare to the Lats situation. Lats had the spotlight on him being a local guy and he was almost expected to carry the team. Gally plays on a kid line with limited minutes and never on the PP. MT is using him perfectly so far.

Have to admit I had my doubts about MT but I'm very impressed with his coaching. When Gally took that high stick penalty in the 3rd, my thoughts were that Jacques Martin would have benched him for the rest of the game. MT not only played him on his regular shift but also had him out there in OT. That's the best way to build the kid's confidence. Those are the signs that make me think it's ok for him to stay. Plus, he's been improving every game.

So far, MT >>>> JM in terms of not having players afraid to make mistakes and benching them. He seems to recognize a lazy mistake versus accidental like Gally's penalty.
I've also been very impressed with MT and i'll be honest I wasn't very happy with Bergevin's decision but I'm ok to admit it. Guy did a great job with a young Penguins team and it helped him mature a lot since his last coaching job here. If you work hard Therrien will reward you and he isn't afraid to make changes on the fly unlike Martin who simply wouldn't change things during a game

Old
01-28-2013, 08:38 AM
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
people expecting him to dominate like he did in Sarnia need to adjust their expectations

he's not a crosby or a malkin, BUT he will be a great player
He's nhl ready, but he's still a rookie, and as a 18 year old nhl rookie, he's been damn impressive

It will take him abit longer to hit his stride, but rarely does a 18 year old rookie come in and dominate from game one.

There is no point in sending him back to the O. He has nothing left to learn there.

hes lucky though cause under the old administration and coaching, he would not be getting any opportunities to succeed and stick to the team. Therien is using him wisely, and pairing the kids with prust was extremely smart.

it's just normal to get excited, most of us weren't even born when Svoboda join the team at 18! We've been lacking an offensive superstar for way too long

Old
01-28-2013, 08:38 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
I've also been thinking about how all the vets respect him already, and his attitude has been is exemplary so far according to Therrien. I think he is our next captain for sure a few years down the line right after Gionta is gone, no point naming someone in the meantime with a kid already showing such poise.
Next captain is Gorges assuming Gionta is gone, you see it in the videos the guy is such a leader and always talking in the room. Gally will get there one day but if i'm a betting man and Gionta leaves, Gorges gets it

Old
01-28-2013, 08:40 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bask View Post
it's just normal to get excited, most of us weren't even born when Svoboda join the team at 18! We've been lacking an offensive superstar for way too long
Yep!

And welcome, good first post.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:41 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Next captain is Gorges assuming Gionta is gone, you see it in the videos the guy is such a leader and always talking in the room. Gally will get there one day but if i'm a betting man and Gionta leaves, Gorges gets it
That is what I'm realistically expecting to happen but it wouldn't be totally out of this world to give it to Gally.

I've always had the impression that captains should not only have great leadership but also the skill to go with it, but I do love Gorges a lot for the role.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:44 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Why do we care about burning a year of his ELC?? We just have to lock him up to an 8 year contract at some point if he shows he's the real deal. I don't get why fans care about the contract situation. I don't think MB cares either. I love watching both Gallys smile and create exciting plays with very limited minutes and no PP time. I'll be very disappointed now if he goes down. This is the most engaged I've been as a fan since the amazing 08 season.
I agree and hope him keep him up. It means at some point we'll have to pay him a bit earlier and/or a bit more for a year, no big deal if we manage our budget with a priority on our young players over vet free agents.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:47 AM
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
Yep!

And welcome, good first post.
hey thanks I lost interest in forums for too long (eversince they changed the official habs forum and everything was lost, which was like 6 years ago lol)

Old
01-28-2013, 08:47 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
That is what I'm realistically expecting to happen but it wouldn't be totally out of this world to give it to Gally.

I've always had the impression that captains should not only have great leadership but also the skill to go with it, but I do love Gorges a lot for the role.
I tend to agree with you. The captain is the face of the franchise so he needs to be a point producer. I was watching 24CH and noticed how both AGally and BGally are best buddies but then AGally gets back to the locker room (after learning he's staying) and he's very quiet and Cole is looking over Bourque to figure out what that poker face means.

I can only assume that they mean it when they say they love his attitude.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:50 AM
FrankMTL

He's actually leading the habs in even strength scoring with his 3 points. Gionta, Diaz, Prust and Gallagher would be next with 2 points each.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Kingbobert

Quote:
no getting excited is not the bad part lol
we're all excited and we all deserve to be excited after last years debacle

I'm talking about people who might not think he's ready or are disappointed in his production. And admit we sadly all have atleast one of those in a circle of friends.

Old
FrankMTL

Quote:
I agree with that. Gorges seems like such a great guy and a leader. No doubt in my mind that he's the captain when Gionta is gone.

Old
e46330ivs*

Quote:
I tend to agree with you. The captain is the face of the franchise so he needs to be a point producer. I was watching 24CH and noticed how both AGally and BGally are best buddies but then AGally gets back to the locker room (after learning he's staying) and he's very quiet and Cole is looking over Bourque to figure out what that poker face means.

thats hilarious I thought the same thing, although I didnt know who Cole was looking at, Cole looked at him and he litteraly couldnt tell if Gally had pocket aces or a 2-7 off suit.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:53 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:

Totally, you could see when the players were lining up for the presentation (home opener) and they were all giving him taps, the look in his eyes was of some fierce intensity. And I will never forget him standing in a ring of fire holding the torch up high.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:57 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
If lats had developed his skating things might have worked out differently. Svoboda had unreal lateral movement and passing skills. He had no speed, shot or weight.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:58 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
I agree with that. Gorges seems like such a great guy and a leader. No doubt in my mind that he's the captain when Gionta is gone.
I think we should also consider the fact that when Gionta finally vacates the captaincy, Gally might actually be ready to receive it, if not, Gorges it is. But we don't know for how long Gio is sticking.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:19 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
I think we should also consider the fact that when Gionta finally vacates the captaincy, Gally might actually be ready to receive it, if not, Gorges it is. But we don't know for how long Gio is sticking.
Thats true. I like Gionta and think if he's still producing at the end of next year, he might get a 2 year extension. If for whatever reason he's no longer here though, I think Gorges will get it as Galchenyuk will only be 20 years old..That's a lot of pressure for a 20 year old. This isn't just any market...The youngest player to ever wear the "C" for the Montreal Canadiens was Saku Koivu at 24 years old.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:25 AM
DenverHabsFan

Because of his background, Gally has the best chance of learning French. Don't flame me for mentioning language but that matters a lot to the ******** media. They will go bonkers if we spend another decade with a unilingual captain.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:26 AM
Jigger77

For an 18 year old, his hockey sense is incredible. He'll make a small mistake like put the put a bit blindly or fancily in the middle of the ice (which is normal for a rookie) but then makes up for it right away by being in the right place. Look at the Prust goal he assisted on. He wasn't able to get the puck in deep on the boards, but he was right there to grab the puck in the air at the blue line. Just smarts you can't teach. He's obviously an offensive superstar in the making, but he is aware on both ends of the ice. I can't believe he's 18 watching him. And then the way he conducts himself off the ice...Just a bit of a freak of nature. I mean he's 18 soon to be 19, it's scary how good this kid could be in 5-10 years.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
Because of his background, Gally has the best chance of learning French. Don't flame me for mentioning language but that matters a lot to the ******** media. They will go bonkers if we spend another decade with a unilingual captain.
well the problem wasnt that Koivu couldn't speak french, its that he waited 10 years to say "vous êtes nos partisans"

just a little Bonjour and Merci wouldve been enough to calm everyone down

Old
01-28-2013, 09:36 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
well the problem wasnt that Koivu couldn't speak french, its that he waited 10 years to say "vous êtes nos partisans"

just a little Bonjour and Merci wouldve been enough to calm everyone down
I'm thinking more along the lines of Peter Stastny. A guy with a multicultural background who can actually have a full conversation in French. People in Quebec loved him as if he was a local boy. Again, I'm not saying it's right or wrong but fans are dying to have a team they identify with.

Gally has a style and personality that remind me of Stastny. We'll be lucky if he comes close to that level.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:52 AM
HomaridII

GET A PLACE KIDS!!

Canadiens Montréal ‏@CanadiensMTL
Marc Bergevin and Michel Therrien notified Brendan Gallagher and Alex Galchenyuk this morning that they will remain with the team.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:54 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
GET A PLACE KIDS!!

Canadiens Montréal ‏@CanadiensMTL
Marc Bergevin and Michel Therrien notified Brendan Gallagher and Alex Galchenyuk this morning that they will remain with the team.
Glad to hear! Although with Brendan he can be sent down at any time.

Closed Thread