HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Dion Phaneuf done?

Old
01-27-2013, 07:12 PM
Bomber0104

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekLeafer View Post
And I suppose Duncan Keith is a ****ty player for allowing Ovechkin to deke him THAT badly? Get over yourself. Star defensemen get deked sometimes.
Phaneuf didn't get deked. He watched Crosby skate by him for a breakaway.

"Getting over myself" doesn't really have anything to do with the topic of the thread.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:13 PM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekLeafer View Post
Phaneuf literally has never had a capable defense partner. Gunnar is good, but not top pair good. Phaneuf is comparable to Weber but doesn't have a Suter to play with.
Can you elaborate on this for me, I don't see it.

HockeyFanSince86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:23 PM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

This has to be in this thread.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:26 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanSince86 View Post

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECanuck View Post
A cup is not won on paper and you don't just hand out wins because they are a favourite or you feel sorry for yourself.
You sound like the Rangers just sat back and somehow came up with the win. Did you even watch the game? The score would have been even more lopsided if Reimer wasn't playing so well.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:33 PM
Superstar

Quote:
I told you Grabovski. refer to my previous post with the videos.
LOL, Grabovski? I like the guy, but no. When Sundin was captain, there were many who wanted to strip that C away from him because they said he had no heart, he couldn't lead a team -- now you want Grabovski as captain? Sundin was an awesome captain. Grabo? Not even close.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:41 PM
Dougie Gilmour

Quote:

Anyone notice how big and dumb his shoulders are? Lmao is it to balance his big dumb head or something?

Dougie Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:42 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Phaneuf didn't get deked. He watched Crosby skate by him for a breakaway.

"Getting over myself" doesn't really have anything to do with the topic of the thread.
Do you even know hockey? That was on Grabovski -- he turned the puck over trying to make a cute pass through one of the Penguin's legs. The Leafs team was anticipating an offensive attack while Grabovski had the puck. After the turnover, Crosby immediately took off the other way. Every d man will get beat in such a situation (unless you think Phaneuf should be standing right in front of Reimer while his team is attacking).

Old
01-27-2013, 07:44 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECanuck View Post
A cup is not won on paper and you don't just hand out wins because they are a favourite or you feel sorry for yourself.
Who's feeling sorry guy? It's reality. Rangers went to the eastern conference final and then add Nash to the mix. They have a great goalie and a big team that can skate. We have a lot of young players that are looking to find an identity.

Who's handing out what? I'm not but I am realistic. This team, our Leafs, will have to scrap and crawl to make eight spot. Just the facts. After a few games, as a fan, I am happy to see Kadri is finding his groove, we found another capable defender in Kostka. Orr and Brown are back and healthy and adding to our toughness. Say what you want against Phaneuf but the guy logged thirty minutes matched against a line with three Olympians for forwards. Up until a good chunk of the third they still had the lead. Lundquivst makes a great save and the Rangers tied the game. Could have been 3-1 instead of 2-2. Life goes on. Get healthy and try to improve for the next game.

What are we, five games into the season? And guys are already acting like they are ready to jump off a cliff.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:45 PM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
LOL, Grabovski? I like the guy, but no. When Sundin was captain, there were many who wanted to strip that C away from him because they said he had no heart, he couldn't lead a team -- now you want Grabovski as captain? Sundin was an awesome captain. Grabo? Not even close.
So if I understand your post correctly. When people say he has no heart and is not a leader, we give them the C. But when we say he has heart and leads by example we dont give him the C. Hmmm starting to understand why we are where we are today.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:50 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Quote:
So if I understand your post correctly. When people say he has no heart and is not a leader, we give them the C. But when we say he has heart and leads by example we dont give him the C. Hmmm starting to understand why we are where we are today.
From what I've been reading, it doesn't sound like you understand much of anything

You're the one dreaming of Grabovski being a better captain than Phaneuf

If he was a better captain than phaneuf, than he would be captain, but he's not a better captain because he's never worn a C and the A that he earned, was taken away from him

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Grabovski has heart, but as an offensive forward, he cannot carry the team on his shoulders when it matters -- this is what many Leafs fans expect the captain of the Maple Leafs team to do. Phaneuf may not be the ideal captain, but that's more out of necessity -- we don't have many to choose from considering where this team is at the moment. In comparison, let's look at the Rangers: Callahan is the captain, but Richards, Nash and Girardi are also captain material.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
I'm getting really sick and tired of being insulted and flamed.

I come here to discuss my favorite team, the Toronto Maple Leafs, not to get receive treatment like this.

all you do is spew negative one-sided BS about every player on the leafs and think every good player we have needs to be shipped out of town because they make too much.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:15 PM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing View Post
From what I've been reading, it doesn't sound like you understand much of anything

If he was a better captain than phaneuf, than he would be captain, but he's not a better captain because he's never worn a C and the A that he earned, was taken away from him
You win, ya beat me!

Quote:
Grabovski has heart, but as an offensive forward, he cannot carry the team on his shoulders when it matters -- this is what many Leafs fans expect the captain of the Maple Leafs team to do. Phaneuf may not be the ideal captain, but that's more out of necessity -- we don't have many to choose from considering where this team is at the moment. In comparison, let's look at the Rangers: Callahan is the captain, but Richards, Nash and Girardi are also captain material.
I never expect Phaneuf to carry the team, no one player should have that burden. Win as a team, lose as a team. What I do expect from him is to be defensively sound, know his man. Most likely the top player on his match up line. Stand up for his team mates and himself, no one should be fighting for the truculent Dion. Even if he knows he cant win, show the team he is willing to fight for them. Start making the hits that change the momentum of a game again, get back to being a fire starter. Its his job to motivate this team, the C says so. The passion starts and ends with him, I cant count how many times you see him hovering around Reimer or Scrivens ( Last year Gus ) just waving his stick around. If he is there to help clear pucks he isn't vary good at it, and god help him if he has a man to cover or try to move from the net.

I am obviously not his number one fan, but at the end of the day he is a good 3-4 Dman and I believe he is not Captain material. Hence why I brought up Grabo. Grabo shows the characteristics of a " team on my shoulders " player, he has done it more than a couple times. Small but wiling to go in dirty areas to win puck battles, even getting hurt and continuing to play. Isnt intimidated easily and doesnt quit on plays. Some of the same plays you see Phaneuf standing there waving his stick, when it is clearly visible that he could help win that puck if he would come out of the blue paint.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing View Post

So every move the Leafs make is absolutely the right one?

Why are we talking about captaincy, if you're going to come back with "then he would be the captain"?

Debate!

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:51 PM
GreekLeafer

Quote:
Can you elaborate on this for me, I don't see it.
Phaneuf is in that range but not quite as good. I didn't mean to say that he's equal.

GreekLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:16 AM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Thanks for being honest.

Nevertheless, your conclusion that Brett Lebda is a proven winner tells me all I need to know about your definition of same in terms of judging player value.
so what does my conclusion tell you?

lebda won a cup. that's a winner. that's pretty much fact, isn't it?

it doesn't mean every team lebda ever played on has won the cup. it doesn't mean the key to winning the cup is having brett lebda on your team.

it doesn't mean he's a better hockey player than anyone who has never won the cup. it does mean he's accomplished the ultimiate goal, which anyone who hasn't won the cup has not.

shawn thornton has won the cup twice, with 2 different teams. proven winner.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:38 AM
s dubay

Dion had 1 bad game and 4 good ones . UHMMM yah he must be done. What a freaking dumb thread

s dubay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:38 AM
MajorityRules*
Sior Gaisgeil

Meh, I thought Dion was playing pretty well up until the last half of the Rangers game. Guess others see it differently.

MajorityRules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:47 AM
s dubay

agreed . Bad coaching,too many shifts ,tired them both out

s dubay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:10 AM
Crosscheck1121

Quote:
He's a total stiff defensively, and offensively he refuses to pass instead unleash a constant stream of inaccurate booming high slap shots.

He just hurt Lupul ($5.25 million) for half the season.

The result of Dion's antics cost the Leafs half of Lupul's season ($2.625) which when added to Dion's already ridiculous contract becomes an even more ridiculous $9.125 per year expenditure.

He's not worth being the most costly player in the league. Crosby doesn't even get paid that much.

Trade this guy to Detroit for Ian White.
That's some of the craziest logic i've ever had the privilege of reading. Thanks for the laugh

Crosscheck1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:39 AM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
so what does my conclusion tell you?

lebda won a cup. that's a winner. that's pretty much fact, isn't it?

it doesn't mean every team lebda ever played on has won the cup. it doesn't mean the key to winning the cup is having brett lebda on your team.

it doesn't mean he's a better hockey player than anyone who has never won the cup. it does mean he's accomplished the ultimiate goal, which anyone who hasn't won the cup has not.

shawn thornton has won the cup twice, with 2 different teams. proven winner.
...or he was at the right place at the right time.

I don't even get why being a "proven winner" matters. It's not like winning the Cup imbues you with super powers or something. It just means you played on the best team in the league. Cool.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:41 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
To be fair, there aren't really any good options for Captain on our team. Maybe Lupul, from interviews he seems to have more intelligence/personality than a few other guys, and is also signed longterm.

But nobody on this team comes close to Sundin, Clark, Gilmour, etc.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:51 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
To be fair, there aren't really any good options for Captain on our team. Maybe Lupul, from interviews he seems to have more intelligence/personality than a few other guys, and is also signed longterm.

But nobody on this team comes close to Sundin, Clark, Gilmour, etc.
If Gardiner keeps growing, than maybe him in a few years.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:09 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
DEE-YAWN FAT-NOOF

The reason he has declined is because of Elisha Cuthbert.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote