HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres @ Capitals, Sunday 27 JAN 2013, 3PM

Old
01-27-2013, 08:32 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Damn it would have been nice for Ovi to hit that open net. Not just for those that bet the over and caps -1.5. Not just to see how quickly a thread on the mains get started about padding his stats.

But now we have to wait the next game to test the floodgate theory.

In past years, he would risk the icing and whip it into net, and rarely miss. You can see Hunter got to him a little, he skated across center, but then probably thought about it too much and missed.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:46 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

vCash: 500

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:49 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
There it is.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Hey guys- just two quick questions for you:

Did Filip Forsberg attend the Caps' training camp?

What is he (FF) doing this year?

Thanks!

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:26 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Hey guys- just two quick questions for you:

Did Filip Forsberg attend the Caps' training camp?

What is he (FF) doing this year?

Thanks!
No to training camp (did come over for summer development camp). He's playing with Leksands in the Allsvenskan.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
No to training camp (did come over for summer development camp). He's playing with Leksands in the Allsvenskan.
Cool. Thanks for the response!

Cheers.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:38 AM
Bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Cool. Thanks for the response!

Cheers.
I spit supa hot fire, but i'm not a rapper. Lol.

But yeah forsberg should be over next year.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:00 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
I spit supa hot fire, but i'm not a rapper. Lol.

But yeah forsberg should be over next year.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:41 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
He had 46 points last year as a 22 year old.
I agree. He's just a kid going through a rough stretch. It would be reactionary to give up on him just yet.

Love Erskine in the lineup.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:45 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I agree. He's just a kid going through a rough stretch. It would be reactionary to give up on him just yet.

Love Erskine in the lineup.
Another game like that from Erskine, we might just see "Value of John Erskine" thread on the trade board. Who'da thunk it.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:50 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Another game like that from Erskine, we might just see "Value of John Erskine" thread on the trade board. Who'da thunk it.
I'm glad he scored b/c that is a visible thing and will lead to him sticking in the lineup longer.

I've said many times that Erskine provides a quality that no other dman on our roster does and that he needs to be in. He has flaws for sure but his physical presence alone bolsters the lineup.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:04 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I'm glad he scored b/c that is a visible thing and will lead to him sticking in the lineup longer.

I've said many times that Erskine provides a quality that no other dman on our roster does and that he needs to be in. He has flaws for sure but his physical presence alone bolsters the lineup.
the problem is his 3rd pair quality level and his lack of mobility. right now he fits because carlson is in the doghouse. as i recall the caps first goal against was a result of a carlson/erskine goof. erskine isnt really capable of playing 2nd pair/1st pair minutes.

he needs orlov to return. erskine and schultz are just too slow to play together or erskine and hamrlik or erskine and poti

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:09 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
the problem is his 3rd pair quality level and his lack of mobility. right now he fits because carlson is in the doghouse. as i recall the caps first goal against was a result of a carlson/erskine goof. erskine isnt really capable of playing 2nd pair/1st pair minutes.

he needs orlov to return. erskine and schultz are just too slow to play together or erskine and hamrlik or erskine and poti
Mistakes happen. Erskine hasn't played consistently in over a year or ever since Hunter took over at least.

Again...Erskine, despite being slow, adds value to the overall mix b/c he brings something we don't have. Angry crease clearing ability, willingness to smash people and provides a real enforcer presence that Hendricks just can't duplicate.

Schultz played well yesterday too. Who cares if they are slow as long as they play well. We got 4 other guys who can skate very well.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:12 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Just because he plays physical does not mean he belongs on the second pair.

If you have a defenseman that can hit and be physical yet can't handle the minutes and is already playing with a player in a slump or who plays low defensively, you're going to have issues.

If both Erskine/Carlson can't play defense, it's useless. I could care less if both hit every guy out of the crease.

Get Orlov back.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:13 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

I'm in favor of dropping Schultz out of the line-up for Poti, but Erskine has earned his right to stay. Haven't really noticed him laying the hammer or clearing the crease much, but he's doing a very solid job boxing guys out and isn't afraid to play the body in open ice.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:20 AM
txpd

schultz actually looked more mobile than usual. maybe it was an optical allusion. anyway, the reason you should care if they are both slow is playing together they are too slow. they dont cover enough ice. having erskine with carlson and schultz with kundy provides both slow skaters with a swift skater for covering ground and chasing pucks. schultz and erskine together just seed that ground and those loose pucks to the opposition. like them or not.

i have nothing against erskine. he does provide something the others dont. he's still slow and requires a partner that is not. right now, schultz, poti and hamrlik are no quicker than erskine

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:24 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

I have no trouble with Erskine on the third pairing. I'd prefer someone else over Schultz though. And I'm a little surprised Poti is sitting. I'm not surprised Hamrlik is sitting but don't feel he has had much of a chance at the second pairing especially given his performance in the playoffs with Green.

If the goaltender has a mediocre night I still think the Caps are toast with this group of D playing ATM. Neuvirth bailed them out against NJ with goaltending that didn't exist the first few games. And Erskine gifted Kovalchuk the puck that almost ended that game without a point at all.

I forgot that Buffalo lost Gaustad. And of course they were missing their top scorer. Need a better sample size of wins hopefully to find out what's what. LOL

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:27 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Im not that surprised Poti is sitting...when the team has looked much better with him and Hammer on the bench.

Play whatever works.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:27 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Erskine brings his same game when he gets the chance. While he may not be a perfect partner for a struggling Carlson right now, at least you can see him trying to cover for the kid, always hustling, always team first. Carlson needs more a steady eddie now, than a wild mountain man.

Summon Tom Poti. Sarge 10 minutes TOI, he can sit.

Alzner Green | Poti Carlson | Erskine/Hamrlik Kundratek

George clearly likes Kundratek. Who knew he would be a regular, despite his obvious preference for handedness. Maybe Hillen was our best offside D man, and George had seen enough of the in house LD at RD to try anyone else. But I think Poti and Sarge can hang at RD if we have to throw a louie over there.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:32 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
schultz actually looked more mobile than usual. maybe it was an optical allusion. anyway, the reason you should care if they are both slow is playing together they are too slow. they dont cover enough ice. having erskine with carlson and schultz with kundy provides both slow skaters with a swift skater for covering ground and chasing pucks. schultz and erskine together just seed that ground and those loose pucks to the opposition. like them or not.

i have nothing against erskine. he does provide something the others dont. he's still slow and requires a partner that is not. right now, schultz, poti and hamrlik are no quicker than erskine
No I don't want them together but that doesn't mean Erskine in the top 4< Other combos we can have.

Long have I lobbied for a physical top 4 dman. George has NEVER brought one in. Ever. 15 years. He never replaced Tinordi. Heck he never even replace Witt!

Gotta work with what you got. We need a physical presence in the top 4 or at least in the top 6.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:35 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Erskine brings his same game when he gets the chance. While he may not be a perfect partner for a struggling Carlson right now, at least you can see him trying to cover for the kid, always hustling, always team first. Carlson needs more a steady eddie now, than a wild mountain man.

George clearly likes Kundratek. Who knew he would be a regular, despite his obvious preference for handedness. Maybe Hillen was our best offside D man, and George had seen enough of the in house LD at RD to try anyone else. But I think Poti and Sarge can hang at RD if we have to throw a louie over there.
This is fine just not Ersk on the 2nd pair anymore. Bad idea in my mind haha.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:39 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

Oates tried Poti, Hamrlik and Schultz on the right against Tampa Bay. I think that's the main reason Kundratek is here. And with all due respect to the young Czech he's held is own. I would give Poti and Hamrlik more of a chance at RD than Schultz. And Hamrlik I don't like there.

Don't know if this true but from fanatical Hershey fans the rumor is Schultz is being shopped. I have to believe one or two or three of the LD's are being shopped.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:48 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Oates had a revolving door of dmen vs Tampa, rotating 7 D - they all looked lost. Minuscule sample size.

I was just thinking the same Swim in this shortened season, I want George to consider moving a LD if Poti is healthy. Losing Hillen puts a damper on that happening obviously, but we are still deep.

LD Depth Chart
Alzner
Poti
Hammer
Erskine
Sarge
Schilling

Hillen

If Orlov is not back by the deadline, I fully expect GM to panic and add another RH shot Dman regardless of how well Kundratek does. Jurcina Class.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:55 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

What is Orlov's injury?

Old
01-28-2013, 10:00 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
What is Orlov's injury?
They're being awfully quiet about it and they're calling it an upper body injury and it's lasted nearly two months.

There's no official word but I know what my guess is.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote