Post-Game: Wild @ Blues 1/27/13

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 05:18 AM
lacrosseguy

vCash: 500
A few observations from watching the game>>
Brodin looked great.
Watching Mitchell, makes you woner why Justin Fontaine didnt get a shot and Kenopka play about 3 shifts makes you wonder why David MacIntyre didnt get a shot. He is IMO the most NHL ready player in Houston.
If Yeo continues to play, Parise/heatley/Koivu, that much in about 2 weeks they'll have nothing left. I dont think he believes in some guys we have as they sure dont play much.
Zuckers speed is needed.
Granlund, sorry is simply not strong enough, nor quick enough and needs some more time in AHL.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:22 AM
vitogor

More than anything I want to see Yeo go ballistic during a game like this. The calm and collected approach can only work for so long. ***** at the refs, fire up your team, take them out of their comfort zone, pull a Boudreau or a Tortorella once in a while. Or even better, a Robbie Ftorek.

Last edited by vitogor: 01-28-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Old
01-28-2013, 06:59 AM
HerculePoirot

Playing Cullen+Seto on OT made me shake my head..

Old
01-28-2013, 08:04 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I'm not as disappointed with the overall game as some are.

They were playing their game against probably the best team in the league and it was effective until 3 ridiculous mental lapses in a row put them in the box and all momentum was lost. Can't afford that against a team of that caliber and the idiotic Scandella penalty was icing on the cake.

As far as where the secondary scoring is going to come from, it's going to take time; as much as we don't want to see it. There's been too many moving parts mixed in with 2nd and 3rd lines that just haven't spent any sort of time together to develop anything resembling chemistry. The first line clicks early because it's filled with high level players, not so much beyond that. I think the 2nd and 3rd lines both looked better than they have and it was against higher quality opponents, we'll see how they look in the next few games.

I agree with someone who stated above that Yeo is leaning far too much on his first line and pairing.

It's a treat to watch the Blues play. Size and skill up and down and almost all are higher tier skaters.

Defense continues to look woeful. Gilbert and Brodin look the part as top 4 defenders and Suter is playing a decent game but certainly not to his level yet. Falk continues to flash here and there only to look lost a shift later. Stoner and Scandella, not a whole lot to say here, both were brutal last night.

As for goaltending, I'm going to give it a month or so to watch it play out before I read too much into it. Neither has seen any kind of live action in a while and it shows. If they haven't settled in by then, yes, the team has issues.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
01-28-2013, 08:12 AM
651*

SJ, Chicago and St. Louis look like the best three in the entire NHL at this point - all West - so I don't think there is any real shame in getting a point out of it. Have to remember this overall nucleus and lineup has had very little time to gel together at all.

Lack of depth on this team is pretty evident though, but they will still make the playoffs I am sure of it. The question is how deep with they go.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:24 AM
DANOZ28

we played better in STL than DET, when we were up 3-1 i thought we had a chance. IF we had a little better goaltending or some secondary scoring we could have won. lucky 4 us we're in a weak division! those 3 stupid penalties in the 3rd were horrible. mark parrish was on ch9 news saying everyone should just relax, but when pushed he thought it would be the blues vs hawks in the western conf final. cheers.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:49 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
I don't think it's such a dream. Fletcher has shown willingness to do such things in the past.
When Russo starts speaking of rumors like this, my ears usually perk up a little. Russo is not one to get too involved in bs rumors.

Fletch has to be sniffing around, and that man doesn't do anything without a purpose.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:01 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
The only positive I can think of for Chicago is that the Wild have Monday and Tuesday to have nice long full practices.

Hopefully they can work some things out. They need it.
I_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg

You just jinxed us to get slaughtered by Columbus

Old
01-28-2013, 09:05 AM
nickschultzfan

Not at the point where too upset, but am mildly upset.

1. I think the blueline is actually fine. The majority of the goals were caused by a winger's failure to cover the shooter. Brodin, Gilbert, and Suter all look good at points, although I think Suter is trying to do too much. He needs to play the simple game. Falk and Stoner are playing above last year; they just shouldn't be paired together. Scandella looked rusty, but aside from his penalty, he looked decent against the top team in the West. A simple re-adjusting of the pairings should solve most the issues. Brodin-Suter, Gilbert-Stoner, and Scandella-Falk.

2. We can't break up the 1st line really. It's clicking a lot (Koivu and Parise especially) and I though Bouchard-Granlund-Setoguchi looked deadly for 1/2 the game. 3rd line was pointless though.

3. If we do break up that 1st line, only possible move would be to move Heatley to Granlund's line (with Setoguchi to the 1st), but then they are going to really, really need somebody to chase down the pucks and to go into corners and win puck battles. Brodziak could maybe do it. That would leave a 3rd line of Clutterbuck-Cullen-Bouchard, which had some success last year as a good counter-attacking line. That line is never going to hold the puck in the O-zone, but they will put the other team on their heals a little bit (which is not happening).

4. 4th line only worked on paper. I am not really a Powe fan, other than his PK skills. He just doesn't really do much. Kenopka is ok, I guess. Mitchell is actually a decent player, but he belongs on a 3rd line somewhere with two other guys that can produce from time to time.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:08 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I'm seriously not trolling here, but I see you all complaining about how "not tough" suter is and is soft on D. This is not new news. He never was "that" guy, that was his partner. Suter is very smart though and can pass very good. Reading some of your alls posts makes perfect sense to me, but that's his style. He will not be hitting anyone off the puck anytime soon so don't get your hopes up. He's a smart Dman, but far from physical.
That is a good point, and I hope we can keep that in perspective.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:19 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
That is a good point, and I hope we can keep that in perspective.
We have 3 physical Dman (Scandella, Stoner, and Falk) and 4 puck-movers (Suter, Gilbert, Brodin, and Spurgeon).

I think we should be able to figure out defensive pairings that work so we have a little muscle on the ice at all times. I get that we don't have elite crease-clearers, but most teams don't.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:38 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
We have 3 physical Dman (Scandella, Stoner, and Falk) and 4 puck-movers (Suter, Gilbert, Brodin, and Spurgeon).

I think we should be able to figure out defensive pairings that work so we have a little muscle on the ice at all times. I get that we don't have elite crease-clearers, but most teams don't.
I wouldn't put Scandella on a list of physical d men... He has his moments, but so does Spurgeon when he gets pissed. You forgot Prosser

This does make me wonder about the balance we have with our d pairings, and the best way to improve upon it.

I would rather be a little more patient with the team, but in this shortened season expectations don't leave much room for that.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If Scandy isn't physical, then nobody on the Wild blueline is. He loves to hit in the corner and had some great open ice hits last night.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:12 AM
DANOZ28

i'd like to add i hope parise didnt break his hand last nite, he took a wicked puck off the hand and looked like he was in pain but kept playin. (stud) i'd also like to point out a few of us were getting hassled about the sky is falling after the preds game, todays star trib russo article talks about the lack of secondary scoring and i quote "3 forwards have 10 of the wilds 12 goals by forwards , thats absurd" end quote.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:13 AM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANOZ28 View Post
i'd like to add i hope parise didnt break his hand last nite, he took a wicked puck off the hand and looked like he was in pain but kept playin. (stud) i'd also like to point out a few of us were getting hassled about the sky is falling after the preds game, todays star trib russo article talks about the lack of secondary scoring and i quote "3 forwards have 10 of the wilds 12 goals by forwards , thats absurd" end quote.
Still doesn't mean the sky is falling.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:15 AM
roon

Suter needs to start getting serious around the net. Thats twice now he has just stood there while someone has screened our goalie. If you are afraid to get your hands dirty...kindly take that A off of your jersey please.

Heatley looks old and slow. He is good when he is able to park his rascal scooter in front of the net and just move his arms...but he needs to get a jump in his step.

Cullen just needs to go away. Scratch him and call up Zucker.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

We have 13 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 2 goalies for 23 players on the roster. Can't call anyone up without getting rid of someone.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:20 AM
roon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
We have 13 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 2 goalies for 23 players on the roster. Can't call anyone up without getting rid of someone.
When spurg is back send Prosser down and call up Zucker. Cullen becomes the nightly scratch...problem solved.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:22 AM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by roon View Post
When spurg is back send Prosser down and call up Zucker. Cullen becomes the nightly scratch...problem solved.
The reason Spurgeon is on IR is because Scandella came back on the roster. Sending down Prosser for Spurgeon still doesn't allow us to call up Zucker.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
The reason Spurgeon is on IR is because Scandella came back on the roster. Sending down Prosser for Spurgeon still doesn't allow us to call up Zucker.
Spurgeon isn't on IR yet. If he doesn't or can't play on Tuesday, he can be put on IR retroactive and be activated whenever, but then whoever we call up has to be sent down (or another move made).

Old
01-28-2013, 10:39 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roon View Post
Prosser is on a 1-way contract, so we can't just send him down. He would also clear waivers...

Old
01-28-2013, 10:42 AM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
Prosser is on a 1-way contract, so we can't just send him down. He would also clear waivers...
We could always hope someone grabs him.

Also 1-way refers to his salary.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:56 AM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
The top line is way too good. That production should not be broken up.

The second line has a lot of talent on it. MiG and PMB have way too much talent to get through the season with a handful of points. Sooner or later, hopefully the former, they'll both get something going and Gooch will be there for the ride.

The third line should be three of Cullen, Brodz, clutter, and Mitchell. I'd prefer the latter three, but Cullen has to go somewhere. 5 on 5 and on the PP he is borderline useless, but he is above average and has flashes of great ok the PK.

Konopka and Powe have been underwhelming. Severely.

My ideal would be below. This would have Clutter and Brodziak gone and assume that Cullen won't be. Brodz and Clutter, combined in a package, could net us a pretty darn good defender.

Parise - Koivu - Heatley
PMB - Granlund - Coyle
Seto - Cullen - Mitchell
Powe - Konopka - Dowell/Viellieux/Kassian

Coyle provides the big body to balance MiG and PMB out. Seto is decent and should be effective, but i'd like to see Cole there instead. He had some stuff working with MiG down in Houston and it could possibly come back.

Seto and Mitchell should be tried together. They're friends and come from the same system. Cullen between them is meh, and i'd prefer Brodz there but Cullen is not going to be moved.

4th line needs to pull their eads out of their butts and they could be effective.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
miek yoe pls

Yeah, I think people are having way too big expectations for MiG at this point of the season. I mean he has played 5 NHL games, not 500. It's perfectly normal IMO that adjusting takes a few games more.

Plus, it's not like he has been completely horrible.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
This would have Clutter and Brodziak gone and assume that Cullen won't be. Brodz and Clutter, combined in a package, could net us a pretty darn good defender.
I absolutely hate that idea. Brodziak and Clutter are two guys who show up every game at the very least. Something Cullen and Seto don't do.

A few more games out of Seto and I've seen about enough. I really thought he would turn it around since he's in such great shape according to Russo. But lifting weights don't give you hands or a brain.

Closed Thread