HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2012-2013 AUS Regular Season Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Rob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
Hey Rob, I am sure your source is solid but I will say that this is exactly how rumors get blown out of proportion. I just made a phone call myself and I was told unequivocally that this is false.

This would be a top level decision that would not be kicked around faculty for the sake of talking about it. I have no doubt that STU faculty does speak about this subject but it really wouldn't be much different than what we do on here.

This sort of gossip serves to create doubt and ultimately serves to hurt the program.

I won't be back on here in April or May to reply to this again to say "I told you so" but will do it now instead to save time…."I told you so".
Glad to hear it.

I'm afraid we may lose Dal so losing STU as well could be devastating for the conference.

Last edited by Rob: 01-27-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:55 AM
gleanerguy

St. Thomas put more than $1 mil into the Grant Harvey Centre for men's and women's dressing rooms, weight rooms, etc. Their contracts with advertisers in the rink, boards and signage etc., are two year deals. Ryan is in year two of a three-year deal. I presume if they folded the team, they would have to pay him out anyway. They hired, just days ago, an athletics co-ordinator, the main thrust of his job being promotions around the hockey team (s).The president of the university was quoted earlier this season (by me) as saying they are behind the team. I would be shocked if they were to fold the team now.

gleanerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:52 AM
rantfather

Athletics co-ordinator vs ATHLETIC Director!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
St. Thomas put more than $1 mil into the Grant Harvey Centre for men's and women's dressing rooms, weight rooms, etc. Their contracts with advertisers in the rink, boards and signage etc., are two year deals. Ryan is in year two of a three-year deal. I presume if they folded the team, they would have to pay him out anyway. They hired, just days ago, an athletics co-ordinator, the main thrust of his job being promotions around the hockey team (s).The president of the university was quoted earlier this season (by me) as saying they are behind the team. I would be shocked if they were to fold the team now.
Would anybody know the name of the new sports co-ordinator? And to whom he would report?

I also would be massively surprised if new coach Troy Ryan was not given his full contract to complete the mission with Men's hockey.

TROY RYAN et al has done an incredible job under a few adverse conditions and has laid a great groundwork for next year in spite of the record.
The team IS BETTER than their record but is lacking in numbers.

Does the hiring of a sports co-ordinator mean that the current A/D 's days are numbered?

Go TOMMIES Go

RANTFATHER.

rantfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:25 AM
AUS Fan

Is there any chance of a rantfather post without a shot at Mike Eagles? I can understand not liking what he has done with the hockey program or with sports at STU in general, but this constant sniping is obsessive and perhaps unhealthy.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:59 AM
rantfather

IN PRAISE of Mike Eagles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Is there any chance of a rantfather post without a shot at Mike Eagles? I can understand not liking what he has done with the hockey program or with sports at STU in general, but this constant sniping is obsessive and perhaps unhealthy.

I would like to set the record straight and be the first to nominate Eagles for the Dr.KAVORKIAN "award for his efforts in sustaining men's hockey at STU.to show that I do not have any hard feelings toward the man.

RANTFTHER

rantfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:54 AM
gleanerguy

The co-ordinator is a junior position. Eagles was part of the hiring committee. The person hired is Eric Moffatt, diligent, hard-working, smart, enthusiastic...a good fit in my estimation.
The flagship hockey program is not where they want it to be. But the women's hockey team is in second place in the AUS and Kayla Blackmore, the face of the program, is as good a player and as solid a citizen as there is in the Conference. Women's basketball is second ranked in the country in the CCAA. Men's basketball is tied for second and on the upswing, men's volleyball is defending ACAA champion, women's volleyball is in second place to an unbeaten team, their only two losses coming to that unbeaten squad. Men's and women's soccer programs are on new facilities; men's and women's hockey in new facilities, basketball and volleyball programs in "new to them" facilities which are better than those they left behind. Generally, athletics at the school are in pretty good shape but for the men's hockey program. And that will come.

gleanerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:41 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post

I would like to set the record straight and be the first to nominate Eagles for the Dr.KAVORKIAN "award for his efforts in sustaining men's hockey at STU.to show that I do not have any hard feelings toward the man.

RANTFTHER
Yup, totally unhealthy. I like how you thought bringing in a promotions and sports co-ordinator meant Eagles was done. Just sad Rantfather. If only I knew STU was hiring for that position, my resume would blow anyone out of the water!

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Rob

UNB 5 STU 1 - Vreds controlled the game as expected but it wasn't complete domination as it has been in the past. After giving up 71 shots ot the Axemen last Saturday the Tommies held UNB to 35 shots while just getting 10 of their own.

Moncton 5 UPEI 0 - The surprising score of the night considering the way the Panthers had been playing as of late. Guay gets the shutout and looks like he may has taken back the number one spot for Les Aigles.

SMU 6 Dal 2 - Huskies move into sole possession of second place with the victory.

STFX 3 Acadia 2 - Axemen outshoot X 35-16 in the loss. X now tied with PEI for third place.

Note - The game to watch Saturday night is Acadia hosting SMU. The Axemen must win and hope the Huskies lose their final game against X next Friday in order to the first round bye. They play the Tigers in their final game.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Rob

I was happy to hear that the AUS final will be a best of three affair. It makes sense since the AUS is sending two teams to the Nationals this year. No point in having them beat each other up in a longer series. The semi-finals will still be a best of five.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:04 PM
FreddtFoyle

Gordie Sutherland has tweeted about a Herald story describing how Dal and SMU are now considering combining forces to build a two-pad rink on South Street, if the Province frees up the land they want and throws in some money.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/6...9Jx3cQ.twitter

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:10 PM
AUS Fan

Interesting. If true, it will quash the "cancelling of Hockey Programs" discussion.

Still, it is a looong way from even becoming a plan, nevermind a reality.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Island Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Interesting. If true, it will quash the "cancelling of Hockey Programs" discussion.

Still, it is a looong way from even becoming a plan, nevermind a reality.
That location is the old Gorsebrook PMQ's, there enough room in there for a 2 pad? or would they have to extend it from South down towards Inglis? right along the drive way that used to go between the PMQ blocks I guess?. More I think of it, more I like it, think it is an ideal location for both.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Rob

So the first round is set:

Acadia vs Montcon - While the Axemen are the better team I think Les Aigles' goaltending is good enough to steal them a game at least. Picking the Axemen in three but wouldn't be surprised to see an upset. They haven't been as good in the second half.

STFX vs UPEI - I'm going to go ahead and take the Panthers in two. While X has home ice advantage I consider the Panthers to be the favorite in large part to their play in the second half.

Old
02-10-2013, 02:21 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

My predictions:

Moncton over Acadia in 3
UPEI over X in 3

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 10:54 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Acadia

Andrew Clarke of the Axemen scored 3 goals in his debut with Stocton of the ECHL. A 4-1 win over San Fran, who is now minus Bowers ( STU) in Gwinnet, Clendennig ( UNB) in Utah and Ouellete (UdeM) called up to AHL.
I expect the Coast teams to be active in pursuing several AUS grads. I expect Wallingford to get the call, as well as several UNB players, like Ben Wright, Culligan etc. Bloodoff and Carroll may get AHL looks, if so , they may bail from SMU and UNB.
Clarke is a big hole in Darren Burns offence.
Anyone know who else the Axemen will graduate this year?

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:08 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Fullerton got a try-out with San Francisco of the ECHL.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:36 AM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Andrew Clarke of the Axemen scored 3 goals in his debut with Stocton of the ECHL. A 4-1 win over San Fran, who is now minus Bowers ( STU) in Gwinnet, Clendennig ( UNB) in Utah and Ouellete (UdeM) called up to AHL.
I expect the Coast teams to be active in pursuing several AUS grads. I expect Wallingford to get the call, as well as several UNB players, like Ben Wright, Culligan etc. Bloodoff and Carroll may get AHL looks, if so , they may bail from SMU and UNB.
Clarke is a big hole in Darren Burns offence.
Anyone know who else the Axemen will graduate this year?
Acadia loses Clark, Jezegou and Laberge plus Dietrich and KC Brown ( I think ). they keep all their D-men plus most of the offence ( minus Clark ). Someone needs to cover the minutes he used in all situations.